Purging propane/gas lines quickly and safely?

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Purging propane/gas lines quickly and safely?

Post by CrossCut » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:09 pm

Minor upgrade to the outhouse heater at the guest cottage today, had this hard plumbed with copper tubing from the "T" on the left in the pic but it was a pain to get the flared fitting aligned when re-attaching it so I replaced it with a flexible hose instead.

Really need a second Buddy heater, both for redundancy and so I don't have to remove and reattach this one whenever I need it somewhere else (like the ice fishing shanty) but this was a stop gap measure.

But another problem I should have addressed when doing this upgrade was to add some kind of bleeder/button valve to be able to purge the air from the propane line more quickly. We shut the propane off at the tank when we aren't using the cottage and it can take awhile to bleed/purge the air from the tubing when first turning it back on later, like 5 minutes of holding down the pilot button on the heater until the air is purged and the pilot will lite. And have to repeat this process inside the cottage as well for two wall-mounted propane heaters we have there. May not sound bad, but standing in one place pushing a button for up to five minutes (x3) isn't any fun at all especially when company just arrived.

Thinking about something like this Brass Button Valve to address the problem, but in 3/8" and male flare fitting if possible - but not finding anything. Basically, a push button valve placed near the appliances that releases more gas so it purges the air from the line more quickly, and closes automatically when the button is released. I considered adding "T" connectors and a standard ball valve near the heaters that I could just open for a few seconds to bleed the air out, releasing the air/propane into the room briefly as this button one does, but a push button one would be much safer I think since it closes when the button is released. We get kids visiting on occasion, and a ball/knob valve that dumps propane into a confined area if opened obviously isn't safe, especially since we also use propane gas mantle lighting (eg, an open flame) in both the outhouse and the cottage.

Been doing some searching and not finding much. Any thoughts / ideas / products on how to purge air from propane lines quickly, and still be reasonably child (or clueless adult) safe?

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Purging propane/gas lines quickly and safely?

Post by CrossCut » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:55 am

Might have found a solution, a valve needing a key to open it to "keeps small hands from accidentally turning on the gas".

www.amazon.com/dp/B08KG5C8N7

Thinking I could add a "T" on one side of the valve so propane flows normally when the valve is closed for normal operation, and nothing attached to the other side of the valve. For purging, open the valve for a few seconds.

Tank----->Tee----->Heater
    • |
      |
      |
      valve
      |
Forgive the ugly ASCII art, can't figure out how to tab/indent :)

It's a bigger/bulkier solution than what I was hoping for, and more expensive than I hoped (but not too bad).

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:31 pm

I am late to this topic but...

The propane tank at the farm is located close to the driveway to permit easy refill. It is easily 100 ft or more from the house. There is of course the shut off at the tank but there is another valve at the point that the gas line enters the house. This is in addition to the shut off at the heater/fireplace.

I normally shut off the valve at the house as well as the tank when the heater is not is not in use. I do burn off the propane (by shutting off the outside valve) in the line between the inlet and the heater for safety reasons when the heater is shut off for the season.

This allows the propane in that line (between the tank and the house ~100ft +) to stay there and reduces the time holding the pilot light button due to the very long run of the gas line from the tank.

Perhaps you can simply add an additional outside shut off valve to the out building and leave that line charged but turned off albeit out of sight.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:34 am

Good idea, and maybe the best compromise for purge time and cost, and as the least ugly solution. Thanks.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”