Build a Settlement or Lone Survivalist?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Kastaway01

Build a Settlement or Lone Survivalist?

Post by Kastaway01 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:24 pm

Recently playing The Walking Dead, I've been fascinated by the sort of life in between walls ordeal.

What would you guys do? Build a little town and or settlement or live alone, moving place by place?

My first post and I'm sure that it won't be my last.

boskone

Re: Build a Settlement or Lone Survivalist?

Post by boskone » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:52 pm

Howdy! You should swing by Introductions and leave a thread, tell us a bit about yourself and how you ended up here.

As for the question, I think the consensus here will be a settlement.

It's axiomatic that "one is none, and two is one"; that extends to people: within reason, the more you have around you, the better off you are. "Within reason" being a key phrase; what's reasonable is going to vary based on specific conditions.

That said, prepping for a solo journey isn't necessarily a terrible idea, provided you have somewhere to go. E.g. bugging out to a friendly and sustainable location is one thing, deciding to just go hide in the woods is more likely to reduce your survival chances and quality of life than improve them.

Laager

Post by Laager » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:27 pm

boskone wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:52 pm
Howdy! You should swing by Introductions and leave a thread, tell us a bit about yourself and how you ended up here.

As for the question, I think the consensus here will be a settlement.

It's axiomatic that "one is none, and two is one"; that extends to people: within reason, the more you have around you, the better off you are. "Within reason" being a key phrase; what's reasonable is going to vary based on specific conditions.

That said, prepping for a solo journey isn't necessarily a terrible idea, provided you have somewhere to go. E.g. bugging out to a friendly and sustainable location is one thing, deciding to just go hide in the woods is more likely to reduce your survival chances and quality of life than improve them.

Well said, one person going alone will eventually fail. To many things can go wrong, that would not be as large of a problem with a group. Standing watch, medical issues, gathering food, water, tending to the campsite, and other supplies. Also I would suspect there would be people out there that would see an individual with gear as a nice target. Of course a group would be in the same situation, but with more people standing watch, other people an stand down.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

Kastaway01

Post by Kastaway01 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:05 pm

Now furthermore, say you could become sorta the mayor of said town? Would you step up and take that place or would you rather just be that functioning member?

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:28 pm

Becoming "mayor" in a post-apocalyptic scenario makes me think of a Governor- or Negan-style of despotic SHTF leader. I would rather be a valued and supportive member of such a community and work behind the scenes to ensure that no one attains such a position of ruthless power.

In other words, I'd be the guy the audience roots for until said ruthless leader-type kills me in episode 4 or 5, on his or her way to attaining absolute authority. :?

Laager

Post by Laager » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:01 am

Kastaway01 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:05 pm
Now furthermore, say you could become sorta the mayor of said town? Would you step up and take that place or would you rather just be that functioning member?
I do not believe I would want to be the "Mayor", I really do not work well with others especially "air snatchers". The army used to weed them out, but they still sign up and the cycle continues. I can get along with people who pull their own weight, just not the ones that think they are special or exempted from carrying their own weight.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:40 am

A little of both here. Not strictly "lone", wife and dogs are the core team, and own four separate small off-grid parcels of land within a quarter mile of our rural national forest bordering home; two parcels with shelters, water well and pump, and privies. They're vacation spots and overflow housing for visiting family and friends (and my man-caves) now. None of our regular guests are survivalist-types to any degree, but they get to learn and practice things like hunting, fishing, shooting, fire-building, camping, foraging, off-roading, radio comms, small craft boating, and general off-grid living while visiting. Each has their own skill sets, most of which would be very helpful to the team, skilled tradesmen mostly and a couple former military. Not a settlement, but there would be many advantages to having a semi-spreadout group with a common bond (beyond just 'prepper group') nearby I think, and the extra manpower would be welcome. As far as being the mayor or leader, I was an E-5 for 4 years and have some low-level management experience, but generally ready to let the group decide and would hope it ended up being more a team of equals with designated sub-team leaders or subject matter experts for various skills/tasks. That said, it is my properties and would not relinquish complete control either.

Blast
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Girl With the Gifts

Post by Blast » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:58 am

Kastaway01 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:05 pm
Be the person who whispers in the mayor's ear. ;)
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube
Ham Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:00 pm

Settlement.

I have no interest in being mayor. But if really needed, I might be willing to step up and be warlord. :twisted:

I'm not killing majorhavoc though. Blast would whisper the right things to stop it.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:10 am

Lone Wolf, or rather Lone Wolf +1(wife), dont need anyone else, dont trust anyone else.
better to be alone than with others we dont know and dont trust.
some people that prefer to be alone are not anti social they just have no time for Drama, Stupidity and false people.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:47 pm

grumpyviking wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:10 am
Lone Wolf, or rather Lone Wolf +1(wife), dont need anyone else, dont trust anyone else.
A lot of people I know have this sentiment. But are you really ready to cover all the bases of survival just on your own? Medical, food, water, famine, fire, raiders, house repair, metalworking, etc?

Is your wife ready to survive without anyone else?

If so, rock on! I just don't know many who might actually fit that profile. Certainly I don't know many *couples.* Usually one is more ready for all that than the other.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Albert

Post by Albert » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:06 pm

I tend to be a "lone wolf" kind of person. I'm a grumpy old guy who doesn't make friends easily, and distrusts everyone. So, I'd probably go at it alone.

Now, having said that, I admit that going at it alone is not optimal. It's too easy to get injured, and with no one to fall back on, that can be fatal. Additionally, I don't have all of the skills that I'd like/need to survive. Plus, there are many things which are done easier by two or more people, such as standing watch, building structures, etc.

Then, again, I don't know if I could find anyone who could put up with me, or who I could put up with.

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:26 am

woodsghost wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:47 pm
grumpyviking wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:10 am
A lot of people I know have this sentiment. But are you really ready to cover all the bases of survival just on your own? Medical, food, water, famine, fire, raiders, house repair, metalworking, etc?

Is your wife ready to survive without anyone else?

If so, rock on! I just don't know many who might actually fit that profile. Certainly I don't know many *couples.* Usually one is more ready for all that than the other.
KISS, keep it simple, stupid is my motto, too many preppers try to make survival too complicated, they want much of what they had before TSHTF, a simple basic lifestyle is possible, in fact I have done it before so I know what it takes.
as for the wife, she is a life long country person, was born to it you could say, and she has many of the skills required so will compliment those I have.
besides, I think any kind of settlement will be a long time down the road post SHTF, not years but decades, depending on the mortality rate which is liable to be quite high.
some people that prefer to be alone are not anti social they just have no time for Drama, Stupidity and false people.

Return to “What Would You Do?”