Protests and Street Violence 2021

Civil disorder is a special type of disaster worthy of its own area of discussion. No Political Discussion!

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Forum rules
No political discussion or you will be barred from posting in this section! You have been warned.
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Protests and Street Violence 2021

Post by NT2C » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:54 am

If you think we left all this stuff behind in 2020 and after the election was over, think again. It's not even quite spring yet and here we go...

Your goal, as a prepper, is not to get tangled up in such scenes and to stay out of harm's way. That is not to say you cannot or should not let your voice be heard if there are causes and issues you're passionate about. It is to say that you should exercise caution and good judgment when doing so and put your own safety and the safety of your loved ones as your first priority.

* As per ZS regular rules and the special rules for this section (READ THEM!) political discussion is prohibited and may result in your permanent banning from this portion of the site.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Re: Protests and Street Violence 2021

Post by emclean » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:45 am

Just wait till it gets warm, and campaign promises are ignored.

keep you r heads down out there, we are all in for a bumpy ride.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:57 am

Speaking to a colleague in Portland area it seems those people didn't stop once - continual low level disturbances.

It will only get worse as the weather warms up in the rest of the country.
Man is a beast of prey

Blast
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Girl With the Gifts

Post by Blast » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:08 am

This is a good argument for having some sort of CB, shortwave radio, or a police scanner app on while you're driving so you can be alerted to potential hotspots.
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube
Ham Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:29 am

Blast wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:08 am
This is a good argument for having some sort of CB, shortwave radio, or a police scanner app on while you're driving so you can be alerted to potential hotspots.
-Blast
Be cautious about it though, and familiarize yourself with federal, state, and local laws that might come into play. For instance, in some parts of the country (looking at you NYC) just having a scanner in the vehicle requires a permit, and can get some pretty serious charges laid against you.

The solution to this, of course, is to become a licensed ham as federal trumps state and local.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:34 am

NT2C wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:29 am
Blast wrote:
-Blast
Be cautious about it though, and familiarize yourself with federal, state, and local laws that might come into play. For instance, in some parts of the country (looking at you NYC) just having a scanner in the vehicle requires a permit, and can get some pretty serious charges laid against you.

The solution to this, of course, is to become a licensed ham as federal trumps state and local.
Not to get political, but I think we are seeing a contesting of the idea that "Federal trumps Local/State." I don't know how all this will shake out. But just something to be aware of.

In case anyone is confused, I'm talking about the wide array of "sanctuary" statuses in the US. And I might be misunderstanding something on the legal front, so I can be corrected.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:41 am

Blast wrote:
-Blast
This is interesting to me. I don't know what the most useful choice would be. My local 2M repeater was active when we had some railroad equipment break down and traffic was backed up for a few miles. But when we had a few riots last year the repeater was pretty quiet.

I assume the best choice would be to find out what is most active in one's local area. I would expect some places to be most active on CB, some to be most active on ham (140 or 440?), some might be most active on GMRS, and those are just my guesses. I would guess it might make sense to just scan FRS frequencies. I don't know what social disrupters usually use. I'm betting it is cell apps.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:15 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:34 am
NT2C wrote:
Blast wrote:
-Blast

Not to get political, but I think we are seeing a contesting of the idea that "Federal trumps Local/State." I don't know how all this will shake out. But just something to be aware of.

In case anyone is confused, I'm talking about the wide array of "sanctuary" statuses in the US. And I might be misunderstanding something on the legal front, so I can be corrected.
My point was that FCC regs pre-empt state and local regs. Most states also give an exemption for hams the same as given for law enforcement when it comes to mobile use of a handheld electronic device.

Current Weather in My AO

Blast

Post by Blast » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:09 pm

NT2C wrote:

Good point! I wonder what the legality is of police scanner phone apps such as 5-0 Radio or Police Scanner Plus in those states? Can you get in trouble just for having the app on your phone?

During the limited riots in Houston I found my CB radio and the Houston EMS dispatch frequency (460.5750) to be the most useful. Note, I am a licensed shortwave radio operator and have programed my radios to not broadcast on that or other emergency frequencies.
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:40 am

Blast wrote:
-Blast
just remember to try it out during the calm. i set up a CB in my car in mid October, and found that there was nobody on the frequencies. it gave me time to test out another option before i thought i was going to need it.

Blast

Post by Blast » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:15 am

emclean wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:40 am
just remember to try it out during the calm. i set up a CB in my car in mid October, and found that there was nobody on the frequencies. it gave me time to test out another option before i thought i was going to need it.
Yes, very good point. Also people need to be aware that CBs are like rifles/scopes...for best results you should spend as much (or more!) on the antenna as you did on the CB. There are some fine CBs for under $50 and good antennas for around the same price. But you also need to tune the antenna (micro adjustments to the antennas length) for optimal performance. Check out some YouTube videos to learn more.
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:08 pm

Current Weather in My AO

Blast

Post by Blast » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:37 pm

Any city that ISN'T prepping for this may find itself in a world of hurt.
-Blast, still bitter about the burning of Uncle Hugo's Science Fiction Bookstore
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:08 am

Blast wrote:
-Blast
I heard some protest groups "key in" on radios (pun intended) - targeting vehicles with obvious capabilities for direct action.

Definitely need to maintain situational awareness to avoid being caught up in traffic stoppages whether caused by protests or other criminal activities.
Tony D Tiger

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:03 am

Did I miss something, or was the much-dreaded Thursday protest a big nadaburger?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:42 am

boskone wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:03 am
Did I miss something, or was the much-dreaded Thursday protest a big nadaburger?
You are correct Sir!

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:13 am

The rioting never really stopped in the Seattle area. It's a lot smaller scale and less frequent, but it seems at least half a dozen businesses get torn up every week. People I know in Portland say the same thing.

I can't find any direct evidence for the concern over last Thursday. There might have been some serious trash talking from a specific forum/social media group or two that might have given the feds legitimate concerns and the MSM poorly represented.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:47 pm

RoneKiln wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:13 am
The rioting never really stopped in the Seattle area. It's a lot smaller scale and less frequent, but it seems at least half a dozen businesses get torn up every week. People I know in Portland say the same thing.

I can't find any direct evidence for the concern over last Thursday. There might have been some serious trash talking from a specific forum/social media group or two that might have given the feds legitimate concerns and the MSM poorly represented.
The message doesn't fit the narrative... so "interested parties" are forced to seek out information on alternative media - hence the popularity of various Twitter "journalists" and their slanted views.

I wouldn't mistake the lack of news in MSM for a lack of interest by DOJ and other agencies/nations with intelligence collection capabilities though. :words:
Tony D Tiger

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:27 pm

boskone wrote:
This, sir, is my preferred Thursday excitement level. :)

We will see how things progress. Hopefully things are settled quietly. We will see.

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:28 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:27 pm
boskone wrote:
This, sir, is my preferred Thursday excitement level. :)

We will see how things progress. Hopefully things are settled quietly. We will see.
I rather expect the news will continue to be mostly quiet, with a few false starts. :|

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:27 am

West Coast cities erupt in violence

This is going to be a long year. :ohdear:

Current Weather in My AO

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:51 am

NT2C wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:27 am
West Coast cities erupt in violence

This is going to be a long year. :ohdear:
More relevant is your earlier warning on doxxing. It's been made pretty clear that elements outside of LEO also collect intelligence on crowds, following individuals to/from vehicles to gather registration and derive addresses - consolidating dossiers over time for later comparison, research and/or dissemination.

Not an organization, indeed. :words:
Tony D Tiger

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:57 pm

There's some really sick, sick people out there: https://i.imgur.com/SeGW9EB.jpg

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:02 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:57 pm
There's some really sick, sick people out there: https://i.imgur.com/SeGW9EB.jpg
Sadly, this isn't anything new. Sick, twisted people have existed for thousands of years.

Thanks to social media and the internet in general, they're just more visible nowadays.

Return to “Civil Disorder”