Firearms Chat: [2021 - Aw, sorry to hear about your boating accident!]

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Firearms Chat: [2021 - Aw, FFS! BOHICA]

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:16 pm

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:11 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:16 pm
lotto ticket time!
My birthday is in August. Start passing the hat around. 8-)
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:45 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:11 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
lotto ticket time!
Mine too. Maybe we can share. :clap:

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:06 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:11 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
lotto ticket time!
By the time August rolls around, you'll've forgotten about it again.

Same as the fuzzy camo slippers last year.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:30 pm

Well, I have come to the conclusion that I need to buy more AK mags. I just filled my last two empty Euro surplus mags and am now down to five Pmags as my spares.

If I can't find anything good at the upcoming Trade Days thing in my town, I'll probably order some Gibbs/Matra AK mags from AIM Surplus.

Every review I've seen has said these particular mags are really good and AIM has them for about 12 bucks a pop (less if you buy 5 or more at a time).

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:43 am

Considering the price of ammo these days it occurs to me that, while it's taken us a few hundred years, we've finally found a way to transmute lead into gold.

Part of my retirement nest egg:

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:44 am

I think someone at FedEx is losing it...

I bought 5 boxes of Speer Lawman FMJ .45 APC from a place in Indiana. It was marked as shipped and a FedEx tracking number issued the same day. FedEx said it would deliver it on Saturday, the 20th, yesterday.

It didn't actually get picked up until the next afternoon, and FedEx changed the delivery day to Monday, the 22nd. Fifteen minutes later they changed it back to Saturday the 20th. Two hours later they changed the delivery to Friday, the 19th. The package still hadn't left Indiana.

The morning of Friday the 19th the package arrived in Kentucky at about 9 AM. FedEx still had it listed for delivery by the end of the day. That changed to Saturday the 20th around 4 PM. It still hadn't left Kentucky.

The morning of Saturday, the 20th, it finally left Kentucky at 3 AM. It got to Hagerstown, MD (FedEx hub) at 2 PM. Still marked for delivery that same day. That changed to delivery on Sunday the 21st about thirty minutes later.

At 6:30 this morning, Sunday the 21st, I got a text telling me it was on the truck and out for delivery. (FedEx does not deliver on Sundays) At 8 AM the delivery was changed to Monday the 22nd.

I wonder what they'll change it to tomorrow?

Current Weather in My AO

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:09 am

And... guess what just showed up on my doorstep?

It seems my wife was wrong and FedEx does deliver on Sunday.

Current Weather in My AO

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:14 am

NT2C wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:09 am

As someone who knows next to nothing about buying ammo online, I have to ask - where do I start?
The one thing stopping me from a range day is not being able to replenish meager stocks. :words:
Tony D Tiger

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:38 am

tony d tiger wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:14 am
NT2C wrote:

As someone who knows next to nothing about buying ammo online, I have to ask - where do I start?
The one thing stopping me from a range day is not being able to replenish meager stocks. :words:
Try ammoseek.com for a starting point. They make searching for good prices a little easier, but watch the shipping cost indicator. Sometimes it's cheaper to get higher priced ammo from a place with cheaper shipping. Also, buying in bulk lowers your cost for shipping. Some sites, like sgammo.com, will tell you how much more you can add to your order before it bumps to the next cost level.

Current Weather in My AO

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:18 pm

So I just got back from my LGS where I'd gone to have them do the install on my new sights and ran into a problem. S&W apparently has started hydraulicly staking the sights in on their Shield pistols. Both the front and rear sights on mine are staked in and the gunsmith at the LGS flat out refused the job, suggesting instead that I take it to a machine shop and have the old ones milled out. Anyone else run into this issue with M&P Shields?

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:49 pm

NT2C wrote:

FedEx and UPS both deliver on Sundays. I've gotten packages on Sundays quite a few times.

Seems like the only service that doesn't is the USPS.

ETA: On the Smith and Wesson sights, I haven't heard of them doing that, but I do know the gunsmith I had swap the sights on my G21 said that Springfield does something similar with the XD.

They're not hydraulically staked in, but the dovetails are so damn tight that my gunsmith has to use a press to get them out. Hence the reason he charges 45 bucks to change out XD sights and 25 for everything else.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:51 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:49 pm
NT2C wrote:

FedEx and UPS both deliver on Sundays. I've gotten packages on Sundays quite a few times.

ETA: On the Smith and Wesson sights, I haven't heard of them doing that, but I do know the gunsmith I had swap the sights on my G21 said that Springfield does something similar with the XD.

They're not hydraulically staked in, but the dovetails are so damn tight that my gunsmith has to use a press to get them out. Hence the reason he charges 45 bucks to change out XD sights and 25 for everything else.
USPS does deliver on Sunday, at least here in Virginia they do, but packages only, no letter mail.

Let me go get my 45 and try taking a picture...

Okay, that was harder than it should have been but here's the photo:

See the two squarish indents, one to the left and one to the right of the sight blade? That's what he's talking about. Apparently, they're done after the sights are installed but before the gun is assembled, and done on a hydraulic press.

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:00 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:51 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:49 pm
NT2C wrote:

USPS does deliver on Sunday, at least here in Virginia they do, but packages only, no letter mail.

Let me go get my 45 and try taking a picture...

Okay, that was harder than it should have been but here's the photo:

Image]

See the two squarish indents, one to the left and one to the right of the sight blade? That's what he's talking about. Apparently, they're done after the sights are installed but before the gun is assembled, and done on a hydraulic press.
I wonder why Smith and Wesson would do that instead of just screwing them in like Glock does ?

And now I'm wondering if it's just on the Shield line that S&W hydraulically presses the sights on or if they do that to the full size M&P pistols and the Shield EZ pistols as well.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:06 pm

This is something new they're doing (apparently it started around the time I bought my Shield, so 5 years ago). Previously front blades on the Shield were friction fit and further secured with red loctite. The rear's were put in and tightened with a set screw, then loctited. My LGS says that they go a little nuts and loctite these in addition to the staking, which is absolutely insane to me.

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:11 pm

Yeah, that makes no sense to me either.

I know on the XD, the front and rear sights are friction fit, but the dovetails are so damn tight it's a pain to swap the sights out.

Which is why my gunsmith uses a press to push the sights out whenever he works on an XD and charges 20 bucks more to do so than on other pistols.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:13 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:11 pm
Yeah, that makes no sense to me either.

I know on the XD, the front and rear sights are friction fit, but the dovetails are so damn tight it's a pain to swap the sights out.

Which is why my gunsmith uses a press to push the sights out whenever he works on an XD and charges 20 bucks more to do so than on other pistols.
Mine also uses a machine and said they broke their first machine doing a Shield, which is why they refuse them now.

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:16 pm

I guess that makes sense. I know a lot of gunsmithing machinery can get expensive quick and when it breaks, it costs the shop money and time when it's down.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:07 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:16 pm
I guess that makes sense. I know a lot of gunsmithing machinery can get expensive quick and when it breaks, it costs the shop money and time when it's down.
One of the machinist channels on YouTube did a Q&A once, and one of the questions was about the security of friction fits. He did the math on both a straight press fit and a shrink fit, and while I don't recall the numbers it quickly scaled into tons.

So the gunsmith probably has a little benchtop press, like 3-tons. S&W's assembly shop probably has a small hydraulic press, like 20 tons.

Which would make sense on both sides: the gunsmith doesn't have room for even a small hydraulic press and ~3 tons is probably more than enough for anything on a firearm, but a hydraulic press would be faster for manufacturing (and there's probably a jig so the assembler just holds the button until the machine bottoms out).

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:43 pm

I think it may have either been "Shooting Gallery" or maybe "American Rifleman TV" on the Outdoor Channel that did an episode where they visited Smith and Wesson's factory where they build the Shield line. Either way, I seem to recall them showing the machinery they use for certain steps in the manufacturing process.

They may have shown Shields getting sights put on, but I can't honestly remember since it's been awhile since I saw the episode.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:55 pm

$ticker $hock... :roll:
Tony D Tiger

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:52 am

tony d tiger wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:55 pm
$ticker $hock... :roll:
Lead into gold, lead into gold. :?

Current Weather in My AO

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:48 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:44 am

<snip>

I ordered some AR10 magazines and small AR parts from Primary Arms on the 17th, FedEx shipping. Tracking link included in the "Item shipped" email said it would arrive today, the 22nd. (I live in Brazos County, roughly 2-2.5 hours drive from Houston.)

Come home from work tonight, no package. Clink on the link, delivery date now Wednesday, the 24th. The package took 5 days to get from Missouri City, TX, origin point, to the FedEx SmartPost (whatever that is) in Houston. Missouri City is just SW of Houston, right outside the Sam Houston Beltway.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:11 pm

Langenator wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:48 pm
NT2C wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:44 am

<snip>

I ordered some AR10 magazines and small AR parts from Primary Arms on the 17th, FedEx shipping. Tracking link included in the "Item shipped" email said it would arrive today, the 22nd. (I live in Brazos County, roughly 2-2.5 hours drive from Houston.)

Come home from work tonight, no package. Clink on the link, delivery date now Wednesday, the 24th. The package took 5 days to get from Missouri City, TX, origin point, to the FedEx SmartPost (whatever that is) in Houston. Missouri City is just SW of Houston, right outside the Sam Houston Beltway.
I think "SmartPost" is FedEx-ese for "USPS facility", and your package is in the hands of a USPS carrier now.

So there's about a 50/50 chance that it'll get to you tomorrow, or spend a day or so in each possible intervening post office before getting lost in the post truck for a day.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”