Chitown2k's BOB with Pics

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

chitown2k

Chitown2k's BOB with Pics

Post by chitown2k » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:27 am

Ok, I figured I’ve been on this board long enough without posting my preps, so here it goes :lol: A few quick notes as a precursor to this post. 1). I plan to bug in; I’m not a big fan of leaving all that I’ve worked for behind and roughing it out of a backpack 2). I live in occupied Chicago, which means the powers that be have disarmed all of the law abiding citizens and now only the bad guys and police are armed, so I prefer not to be on the street at the beginning of any major catastrophe unless I have no other option. 3). If I do bug out, I plan to bug out by car for as long as possible, preferably after the mass exodus from the city when the roads are less congested. My BOL is in neighboring Indiana, a little over an hour away (60 miles) and surprisingly remote for being so close to Chicago. If I have to ditch the car and my preps in the car (typical car camping gear, additional clothing and food), I would do so and trek in perpetual motion, sleeping and resting as little as possible until I reach my BOL. So, here is my kit to get to by BOL with some pics:

The Gear – Itemized List below

The Pack - North Face Terra 60

The sleeping system - SnugPak Softie Kilo, Snuggy Headrest, Thermarest RidgeRest

The sleeping system compressed, with 16oz Nalgene used to display the size.

Spec Ops Pack-Rat - contents listed below

Spec Ops Pack-Rat all packed up with Kbar used to display the size

Spec Ops Pack-Rat closed

MSR Pocket Rocket, Gerber Back Paxe Axe, Glock e-Tool

Here are the contents:

-Pack:
North Face Terra 60
Fabric: Sabre 6, 420D ripstop nylon, Sabre 12
Access: Top, Sleeping Bag
3850 CU

-Sleeping Gear:
· SnugPak Softie Kilo
WEIGHT: 1100 grams PACK SIZE: 18 x 19 cm TEMP: comfort 10°c to 0°c, low -5°c
· Snuggy Headrest
· Thermarest RidgeRest

-Clothing Gear (winter):
Outdoor Research waterproof compression sack (can also connect to the outside of pack with Carabineer and attachment point to save space)
· 1 set of Under Armor Cold Gear
· 2 pair of wool socks
· 2 pairs of cotton briefs
· 2 Champion Long Sleeve Due Dry Shirts
· Balaclava
· Coleman Emergency Poncho
· Coleman Emergency Blanket x2
· ARCTERYX ALPHA SV JACKET
· MSR Packtowel Original

-E&E or Go Bag - Multi Purpose Gear - Can be worn separate or attached to Bob:
Spec Ops Pack-Rat
· Small Plastic waterproof container with: band aids, butterfly sutures, antiseptic wipes, 2 AA, 3 AAA batteries, 10 Micropur MP1 Water Purification Tablets
· Energizer LED headlamp (loaded with 3 AAA)
· 12 Soft Cloths wet wipes
· Moleskin Plus (3 sheets)
· Coleman Emergency Poncho
· Coleman Emergency Blanket
· River Rock LED flashlight (takes 1 AA)
· 2.5 inch Gerber folding Knife
· Coleman torch lighter w/ LED light
· Whistle
· Krazy Glue
· Sharpie
· Titanium Spork
· Charmin to-go roll
· Butane lighter refill
· Waterproof and Regular matches in a plastic Coughlan’s waterproof container
· Smiths knife sharpener
· Ear Plugs
· Hand Sanitizer
· Bandana
· Flask
· 2 Detour bars - 460 Cals per bar - 30 grams of protein
· Needle, Thread, Fishing Line, Weights & Hooks in a plastic Coughlan’s waterproof container
· Small spray on SPF 15 Sun Screen
· Coughlan’s Camp Soap

-General Operations Gear:
L Kifaru Pull-out
· Work Gloves
· ¼ x 50 Nylon Cord (125 LB Strength)
· 50 FT Para Cord
· 4 Coleman Ilumisticks
· 10 AAA
· 8 AA
· Deck of cards in a tin that can be used to signal
· 20 XL Zip Ties

-Supplement & Hygiene Gear Part 1:
L Kifaru Pull-out
· Chewable Centrum Vitamins 50 Count
· 100 count 200mg Ibuprofen
· 2 Rolls of Rolaids
· 12 Soft Cloths wet wipes x2
· Charmin to-go roll
· 30 Cotton Swabs
· Vaseline
· Portable Hygiene Kit that includes Scissors, tweezers, file, Small and Large Clippers, Razor w/5 blades and a comb

-Supplement & Hygiene Gear Part 2:
M Kifaru Pull-out
· Mini shampoo
· Mini conditioner (one can dream)
· Mini hand sanitizer
· Mini soap
· Mini deodorant
· Mini hand/body moisturizer
· Lip balm
· Toothbrush
· Toothpaste

-Food Preparation Gear:
· GSI Haulight Double Boiler (cup and pot w/lid) and 2 cans of Sterno inside: Packs in it’s own stuff sack
· Coughlan’s folding stove and Ramen Noodles x4 - In medium Kifaru Pullout
· SnowPeak Titanium Spork (in E&E)

-Food Stuff’s:
S Kifaru Pull-out
· Folgers Coffee Singles (drop in water like tea bags)
· Tea Bags
· Sugar Packets
· Powdered cream packets
· Mainstay 3600 CAL Ration x2

-Tech Gear:
S Kifaru Pull-out
· Blackberry Charger
· Spare Blackberry (7130c) with SIM that can be activated
· 2 spare Blackberry batteries

-First Aid Kit - Started with a Coleman Base camp FAK which has:
· Moleskin x 6 sheets
· Two 3x3 sterile gauze sponges
· 5x9 Sterile ABD pad
· Two sterile cotton tipped applicators
· Non-adherent pad
· 1/2x10 yds sports tape
· 2 Sterile gauze bandages
· Twenty-two 3/4x3 adhesive bandages
· Three 2x4 adhesive bandages
· Scissors
· Tweezers
· Four BZK towlettes
· Four alcohol prep pads
· Moleskin
· Two latex gloves
· Triangle bandage
· Storage bag

First Aid Kit adds:
· Antiseptic prep pads
· Benadryl allergy tabs
· Imodium tabs
· Safety pins
· 8 3x3 sterile pads
· 1 emergency blanket
· Many band aids
· Neosporin
· Butterfly closures
· Roll of waterproof first aid tape
· Krazy glue
· 6 sheets of Moleskin

-Also in/on Bag:
· 1 Large Adult Poncho (can be used to make a small shelter)
· Tent Stakes to turn the poncho into a mini shelter
· SAS Survival Handbook
· FR 400 Hand Crank Radio w/Charger extension for Blackberry
· Extra Waterproof and Regular matches in a plastic Coughlan’s waterproof container
· 3 Nalgene bottles filled with Water

-On Person (Belt or Pocket):
· Oris F1 self winding watch
· Oakley Radar Path sun glasses
· Ka-Bar Fighting Knife
· Leatherman Surge
· Wallet with ID’s, Cash and scanned documents
· Blackberry Curve
· Bushnell 4x30 binoculars
· Silva Compass
· Illinois/Indiana Road Atlas (I am literally walking the highway system to my BOL (most of the way anyway).

Wearing (winter):
· Set of Under Armor Cold Gear
· spam Dri Fit Sweats
· North Face heavy pullover fleece
· Smart Wools Socks
· Depending on the weather: Asolo hiking Boots or North face snow boots
· Water resistant heavy field Jacket or North Face Insulated Jacket
· spam ACG beanie cap
· spam ACG fleece gloves for agility (also have a heavy pair of spam)

A few more notes:

I may reduce the clothing load to:
· 1 pair of wool socks
· 1 pair of cotton briefs
· 1 Champion Long Sleeve Due Dry Shirt

Water:
Yes I am sure I could carry more, I also have some in the BOV. My thinking is that I am located in a major city, next to a Great lake and I have access to lots of water. When the water I plan to carry goes dry, I will get some from a spicket on the side of someone’s home, at a park or along the way. If I question the waters cleanliness, I will use the Micropur, that’s what it’s for anyway.

Food:
I have plenty for 72 hours between the mainstays and the Ramen. Please don’t comment on the Ramen if that’s not your choice of BOB food. At least until you read my response to people bad mouthing Ramen here http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; =) I may ditch the stove and Ramen all together, I think I would be fine for 3 days on Mainstays, Cliff Bars and Trail mix, which would reduce the overall weight.

Overall, I feel like have too much in the bag, especially for a 3 day/72 hour pack. It’s filled to the gills and it’s about 36-40 lbs right now with the Nalgenes filled. I believe I could eliminate a lot of stuff, but I wanted to attempt to create a bag with the majority of the standards established on this board in terms of gear recommendations, while pairing down the BOB from there as much as possible. I guess it’s the have it and not need it vs. the need it and not have it principle that I am struggling with. I am 37, in good shape (Gym Shape, not ECO Challenge shape) and I want a lighter pack! It’s that fine line between camping/car camping gear and what’s absolutely necessary for 72 hours that I need to figure out.

Ok, so let me have it :lol:
Last edited by chitown2k on Fri May 23, 2008 6:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.
My Bob

One you lock the target,
Two you bait the line,
Three you slowly spread the net,
And four you catch the man!

chitown2k

Post by chitown2k » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:34 am

Ok, got the pics figured out, not sure why the url I used initially didn't work, it worked if you punch them into explorer.

Enjoy :lol:
Last edited by chitown2k on Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Bob

One you lock the target,
Two you bait the line,

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:38 am

Looks good.
Last edited by Dak Kovar on Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't wan't to be the ruler of this world... I want to be the ruler of another world."
"Well he should have armed himself...if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."
"...And you can keep that silly fat wanker. The lads can't lift him."

TheFreakinBear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Trilogy, Boondock Saints, 300, Snatch, Ghostbusters, Ice Age.

Post by TheFreakinBear » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:38 am

Looks great from what I can see man. Note what you are going to be doing while bugging out and where you are going. Use that to find any weakspots.
ImageImage

IllicitDreams
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most anything Romero, Shaun Of The Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, you know the basics...

Post by IllicitDreams » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:44 am

Looks to be a well thought out setup. Nice work.
ImageImage
My Pocket Survival Kit/My EDC/My Blog

CERT Volunteer, Amateur Radio Operator, SKYWARN Certified Storm Spotter

chitown2k

Post by chitown2k » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:58 am

I added another pick of the Spec Ops Pack-Rat to show how well it holds and organizes loose items and doubles as an E&E or Go bag.
My Bob

One you lock the target,
Two you bait the line,

sludge

Post by sludge » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:24 am

Looks great... only question one question... is that enough food for a potential 60 mile hike?

chitown2k

Post by chitown2k » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:42 am

sludge wrote:Looks great... only question one question... is that enough food for a potential 60 mile hike?
2 460 CAL Detour bars
2 3600 CAL Mainstays
= 8120 Calories

4 Bags of Ramen
= 760 Calories

Total 8880 Calories = Yes, I believe so.
My Bob

One you lock the target,
Two you bait the line,

sludge

Post by sludge » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:51 am

chitown2k wrote:
sludge wrote:Looks great... only question one question... is that enough food for a potential 60 mile hike?
2 460 CAL Detour bars
2 3600 CAL Mainstays
= 8120 Calories

4 Bags of Ramen
= 760 Calories

Total 8880 Calories = Yes, I believe so.
My bad... only noticed the mainstay bars..

once again kudos on a great pack... I like the way its organized and set up... its making me rethink my entire set up..

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:00 pm

I think I like it. I like seeing people take all their needs and their environment into consideration.

Were I prepping that bergen, I'd add TP and an e-tool.

And I know you are accommodating the kit you have, and you've probably considered this already, but one battery size. My radio, GPS, flashlight and optics all use the same AAs. To further my power options, I've included a battery charger and one of these solar chargers

The plan being, everything runs off the same batteries. Those batteries can be recharged off of wall current or the solar cell, and I can run the devices off the solar cell if necessary.

Ta

chitown2k

Post by chitown2k » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:43 pm

Jvandenhaus wrote:I think I like it. I like seeing people take all their needs and their environment into consideration.

Were I prepping that bergen, I'd add TP and an e-tool.

And I know you are accommodating the kit you have, and you've probably considered this already, but one battery size. My radio, GPS, flashlight and optics all use the same AAs. To further my power options, I've included a battery charger and one of these solar chargers

The plan being, everything runs off the same batteries. Those batteries can be recharged off of wall current or the solar cell, and I can run the devices off the solar cell if necessary.

Ta
I have TP (it's listed as Charmin to go) and I have 3 total packs of wet wipes too. I can and would use my knife to make a big enough hole to poop in :lol: I do agree that an etool isn't a bad idea though, especially if I have to set up camp along the road somewhere. I will most likely pick up the Glock model, but it's going to add more weight...(sigh)

My LED Flashlight takes 1 AA, My radio takes 3 AA and the hand crank for the radio provides hours (tested) of power if I ever need to use it. My Headlamp take 3 AAA. I have enough batteries for to recharge all of these multiple times. I would look at a recharger if I ever built an INCH bag, although my BOB is literally for 72 hours before I go ape shit :lol:

Thanks for the feedback :D
My Bob

One you lock the target,
Two you bait the line,

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:23 pm

Jvandenhaus: I like that charger do you have a link?

CT2K: You have good taste in gear, IMOP.
I looked at your list 3 times now and I can't think of anything that you HAVE to add to be good for 3 days. As for the shovel, I think you could get away with those small garden type back packing shovels or just even a big stick to make a drain trench around your shelter.

I read you evac plan. I see that if your car breaks down you plan to follow the roads. If that is true then I think you could bring your ruck and other items from the car if you had one of these:
http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/39540/reviews.htm
http://www.ameristep.com/accessories/deercart.html
http://www.ameristep.com/accessories/deercart.html
You could fit a tow harness made from flat webbing and a few snap links. You are not wrong if you don't get something like this but it might be a way to bring extra stuff if you have to walk. I am considering something similar myself. Just a thought.

As your kit stands, I think you have have a well thought out load.
M2C,
DK
"I don't wan't to be the ruler of this world... I want to be the ruler of another world."
"Well he should have armed himself...if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:27 pm

8800 Calories sounds a little light for 60 miles. I'd figure that would take a week to two weeks, depending on conditions and all. 8000 Calories would be about enough for 4 days.

I think for this long of a bug out, you gotta plan on keeping yourself well fueled. Its not an overnight bug out back home where you can suck it up and starve for 24 hours and still be effective.

What kind of terrain is this over? You say you live in Chicago. I know you're planning on bugging in till things calm down, but what if you think its OK to leave and you run into more riots or something? You might use up all your food just trying to get out of the city.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

chitown2k

Post by chitown2k » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:40 pm

Dak Kovar wrote:CT2K: You have good taste in gear, IMOP.
I looked at your list 3 times now and I can't think of anything that you HAVE to add to be good for 3 days.
Thank you DK and to be honest mostly everything is based on what I've learned here at ZS, especially the Kirafu pullouts (Gunny), the Spec-Ops PR (Raptorman), the internal gear, radio, the wicking and cold weather clothing, etc (everyone who generously posted their gear).

There are so many resources here if you just take the time to read through the posts. I learn something almost every day, especially in Woods Walkers threads, he is an amazing resource for a city dweller like me.

I like your idea of the pull cart, especially for an INCH set up.

Thanks again for the feedback.
My Bob

One you lock the target,
Two you bait the line,

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:55 pm

Nice setup thus far. I have one of the PackRats myself, I really love that little thing. I use mine as a small survival kit and switch it from one bag to anothe depending on what bag I am using that trip.
-NREMT - EMT
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

chitown2k

Post by chitown2k » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:00 pm

squirrley wrote:8800 Calories sounds a little light for 60 miles. I'd figure that would take a week to two weeks, depending on conditions and all. 8000 Calories would be about enough for 4 days.

I think for this long of a bug out, you gotta plan on keeping yourself well fueled. Its not an overnight bug out back home where you can suck it up and starve for 24 hours and still be effective.

What kind of terrain is this over? You say you live in Chicago. I know you're planning on bugging in till things calm down, but what if you think its OK to leave and you run into more riots or something? You might use up all your food just trying to get out of the city.
Thanks for the feedback Squirrley. I run 3-5 miles, 3 times per week in the gym, I am sure I can cover 3x that (10-15 miles) per day walking, even with the pack. I am in the city, on the Indiana side and not far from the lake, which runs parallel to route 41. I plan to follow that route most of the way. It's good flat land :lol: Like I said I plan to drive as far as possible, even if it's only 10 miles, other wise I will use my bike (which is in my SUV - maybe I should have listed that) and ride the lake path or along route 41 into Indiana for as long as I can until I have to ditch the bike for any reason (the lake path is like the PAW in the summer, so it's good practice :lol: ). I ride 16 miles 3 times per week in under 2 hours in the summer for fun, I understand that in the summer there is less weight to carry and less clothing to wear, although I am no worse for wear and I refuel on a cliff bar.

Point noted though, I can always throw in some trail mix and more detour bars, they don't weigh much.
Last edited by chitown2k on Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Bob

One you lock the target,
Two you bait the line,

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:06 pm

DK http://www.cellphonemall.net/wireless/s ... u17827.htm

A thought for you guys considering a bug out cart. Bicycle.

Plenty of armies have used hand carts for their infantry to lug more kit. Other armies (I specifically know the British glider troops in WW2, because that was my re-enacting unit) used bicycles. Sling your bergen on the bike, and let the bike carry it for you while you walk the bike.

And in an emergency, you could even ride the bloody thing. I just figure why have a car which really only does one thing when a bike does two things.

And, an ode to the e-tool: Yes, you could dig a latrine with a knife, but a shelter ditch or a foxhole...would take a while. I'd never consider going out without my e-tool. But if you have a BOL you are heading to, that you have the luxury of keeping it stocked, just add an e-tool to it rather than carry it yourself. I believe the e-tool is a survival tool for the longer term. It will be the shovel that rebuilds civilisation.

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:14 pm

It was clear that you did your homework when you put your kit together. You are right about learning something every day. I do to. In fact I was thinking about WW snow sled when I suggested the game cart set up in the same fasion for dry land. Let me know if you go with this option and I'll help you with the harness for towing.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:15 pm

So most of your route is outside the city? I'm from CO, so I don't really know what the city sprawl n stuff is like up there. We have a hell of a lot of open space, in comparison with some other more developed areas, apparently.

I'm kind of envisioning your route like traveling east on I-70, starting in Denver. Starts out really really urban, could take you days to go a block if there's hardcore rioting going on, and slowly pitters out to just urban sprawl, towns n stuff interconnected by residential/strip malls, where it could still take you a long time to go a block or two, and eventually getting far enough out that is mostly new residential developments, where you could probably move fairly fast, and then on into the open prairie with the odd farmhouse or two where you'd be able to 'hike' at full speed and not be worried about too much.

I have no idea what Route 41 is like. It sounds kindof like above, where once you get out of town you're in the middle of no where with just a lake around, and maybe a few houses here and there.

In another thread, someone was posting a bag that was gonna get them 5 miles to their BOL. Lots of people, myself included, were saying go super UL, its only 5 miles, you can do that in a couple minutes on a bicycle. Biff brought up the point that if there's riots going on, it could take days to get 5 miles, and the guy would be pretty screwed if he brought a chewy granola bar and a bottle of water with him for supplies.

This is a little different, because you've already got all the gear you need to spend multiple days in the 'field', but more food, or a plan to procure more food would be needed if all of Chicago was rioting and it took you that 4 days just to get out into the undeveloped areas.

{EDIT} I'm stupid. I forgot about the internet. So after looking at Route 41 on google, it looks like the analogy to I-70 is valid, in that you start out in the city but once you're out of it, its pretty much just farm land with a couple small towns. So I'm gonna retract what I said, depending on how far inside Chicago you are. If you're way up north, I'd think you'd want to throw in a couple extra Mainstay bricks or some-such lightweight, high calorie food, but if you're way down south, you're probably just fine.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

chitown2k

Post by chitown2k » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:28 pm

squirrley wrote: {EDIT} I'm stupid. I forgot about the internet. So after looking at Route 41 on google, it looks like the analogy to I-70 is valid, in that you start out in the city but once you're out of it, its pretty much just farm land with a couple small towns. So I'm gonna retract what I said, depending on how far inside Chicago you are. If you're way up north, I'd think you'd want to throw in a couple extra Mainstay bricks or some-such lightweight, high calorie food, but if you're way down south, you're probably just fine.
LOL, you're not stupid my friend you made all very valid points. Yes, the I-70 analogy is spot on. I think most people would be amazed at how much open space there is just outside the "inner" city on all 4 borders. It's not like the East or West coast, where it's one city right up against another city. I don't have far to go to get to less populated open spaces. I am 3500 South if you are looking at that map, near US Cellular Field where the White Sox play baseball to give you an idea.
My Bob

One you lock the target,
Two you bait the line,

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:51 pm

J-man, thanks for the link. I have a two solar charger but this one looks cool. I may have to get one.

CT2K: OK here is another thought. My brother used to ride his bike to the beach every day with his black lab running the whole way. The dog would wear herself out on the beach and would only walk home. My brother bought a baby trailer for his bike and the dog would ride back to the house in the trailer.

A bike trailer, while large, could be thrown on a SUV somehow. If you were reduced to walking for some reason you could hook up the tow harness as mentioned above. Additionally, if it were winter and you had to move over snow you could take a pair of old ski and cut them short to fit the cart and either bolt or lash them to the tires.

The ideas expressed here about bicycles are solid. Ask the Viet Cong if you can carry gear on a bike. A cargo rack on the back would be a good idea. You could loosen the straps of the pack so the weight rides on the cargo rack and not your back and the load would be kept in check by the sternum strap.

Route selection: I encourage everyone to study maps of their routes carefully. If you are in a city and decide you will save some time if you take a right and go 'cross country' you may find yourself facing a canal you didn't know was there or a Steel Mill, Stock yard, Train yard, etc.This would require a detour that could end up costing time and effort to get around.

(Rant on)
Use Google Earth (http://earth.google.com/) to do a fly over of your route. With Google Earth all of us now have satellite images of our route. (Speaking to everyone)Do you realize what that means? You are able to become your own Intel shop. You can look at possible BOL site by 'air'. You can us it to plot routes around obstacles like the canals and steel mills. You can get street names to write down like a script. If you are not using Google Earth to assist you now in your planning you are not using all of the tools available and you are selling yourself (and family) short. People I urge you to use this tool at least once before you say," That's not for me. I don't need that." PM me if you want/need assistance getting started or how to use it as an Intel source.
(Rant off)

HTH,
DK

congochris

Post by congochris » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:02 pm

Just beware of Google earth's layering of street maps. I've seen it be up to a block and a half inaccurate on where the streets are shown on sat vs what the street layover showed. note: mapquest was fubar for that location also, so it's a problem inherent with the electronic street maps of that area.

Still a useful tool, but just remember some tools malfunction.

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:05 pm

Great point. Cross reference your info sources for accuracy. You can ever drive your route selection if needed. Kind of like having and 'advance party' go out and check things.

chitown2k

Post by chitown2k » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:47 pm

Dak Kovar wrote:It was clear that you did your homework when you put your kit together. You are right about learning something every day. I do to. In fact I was thinking about WW snow sled when I suggested the game cart set up in the same fasion for dry land. Let me know if you go with this option and I'll help you with the harness for towing.
Thanks DK, if I go with a tow cart I will let you know.
My Bob

One you lock the target,
Two you bait the line,

Return to “Bug Out Gear”