96 oz Nalgene wide mouth collapsible canteen review.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

96 oz Nalgene wide mouth collapsible canteen review.

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:46 pm

Not too long ago there was a 50% off sale on Nalgene products. The shipping was slow but finally had a chance to put some of the new gear to the test. During a recent hike on the AT with my uncle I took along the MSR mini works filter and my normal complement of canteens and the Platy hydration system. This time I carried my new 96 oz wide mouth collapsible Nalgene canteen for testing.

Here we are on the AT.

Loaned out my Osprey pack and used the Kifaru EMR. These white markers stop in Georgia but we got a late start and hoped to make the next lean-to before dark. Some 8.4 miles away.

At about 5 pm after looking at the numerous cut backs on the map, a sure indication of increased elevation and hard terrain I decided to find a camp site off the trail. Got lucky and found a perfect sheltered area that even had a semi dried up stream. The nearest water according to the map was about 4-5 miles or 3 hours away from this location.

I Used the Nalgene 96 oz bag with the MSR as it screwed right on the bottom of the filter. The small frog in the little pool did not like me messing around its living room. :D

Here is the canteen.

http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=86

For proper scale here it is next to a Trailstove, small Ti cup and spoon/fork/knife combo.

Things I liked about the 96 oz Nalgene.

1. Works well with my water filter.
2. Holds lots of water
3. The carry hole allows for easy transport and water dispensing when filled.
4. Very light weight.
5. Stood upright when filled. That is an OCD thing.

My dislikes.

1. The wide shape of the canteen does not fit pack hydration sleeves.
2. The wide mouth and carry hole does not allow the canteen to roll up super tinny like a Platy bag.

Other than those issues I couldn’t find any faults with this product. A fine hydration accessory.
Last edited by Woods Walker on Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Hanuman110

Post by Hanuman110 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:54 pm

Nice write up! That looks like something I'd like to have for a basecamp water carrier. I like the Platy bags because they roll up nice and small and as of right now, I dont have an MSR filter to attach a widemouth bottle to, but I like the feature.
"...I calculated the odds of this succeeding, vs. the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid...then I went ahead anyway."~Crow T. Robot

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:04 pm

Woods I wish you'd look into writing posts like this one up for ZSS feed articles, they're damn good.

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:27 pm

+1 Gunny! I usually don't post comments in Wood's threads because I pretty much don't have anything to add to the dialogue, but they are always of the highest standard and I go straight to them when a new one pops up.

So thanks Woods Walker! 8)
-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:31 pm

Woods, have you tried the larger Platypus bladders? If you have, given your druthers, which of the two would you go with?

I'm looking at something like this to store empty in BOB.
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:26 pm

No just the 70 oz Platy. I would go with the Platy for summer as it packs down to nothing. If you live in a colder area than a wide mouth canteen or reservoir is preferred during winter.

Famine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of The Dead, Night of the Living Dead

Post by Famine » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:34 pm

Woods Walker wrote: If you live in a colder area than a wide mouth canteen or reservoir is preferred during winter.
Why? I really don't understand.

Kevin
NNYWCT Alum! We Bug Out Harder!
crypto wrote:Well, if you are thinking of moving into a house, and all the signs on the street every 50 feet warn in giant block letters: GUNS WILL BE TAKEN IF THERE IS MORE THAN 3 INCHES OF SNOW, you may want to re-think living there.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:03 am

Famine wrote:
Woods Walker wrote: If you live in a colder area than a wide mouth canteen or reservoir is preferred during winter.
Why? I really don't understand.

Kevin
The narrow mouth canteens and water bladders are more susceptible to being frozen shut. True water freezes at the same temp regardless of mouth size on any canteen but it is far easier to open a wide mouth in the winter.

Famine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of The Dead, Night of the Living Dead

Post by Famine » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:15 pm

I see. Thanks for the schoolin'!

Kevin
NNYWCT Alum! We Bug Out Harder!
crypto wrote:Well, if you are thinking of moving into a house, and all the signs on the street every 50 feet warn in giant block letters: GUNS WILL BE TAKEN IF THERE IS MORE THAN 3 INCHES OF SNOW, you may want to re-think living there.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:42 pm

yeah, it's just a matter of getting a lot better leverage on the cap when its big Imagine trying to unscrew a bottle of coke with the lid frozen on, for comparison.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:23 am

It is also much easier to shove snow in through a wide mouth container than a small one.

WW, I was wondering more if you'd seen any quality issues. I trust Nalgene for rigid items, but seeing as how I don't entrust ANY bladder yet and they are newer to the field than Platypus and Camelback are, I'm mainly thinking about fit and finish issues.
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

canuck

Post by canuck » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:03 am

Woods is that an atmos or an aether? If it's an atmos i'm surprised at the amount of weight you're putting in it seemingly.

Great post.
If you're not using your head, forget about survival.
czechnology wrote:Wait a minute... someone wrote a book about how to survive zombie attacks?? WE SHOULD START A FORUM ONLINE ABOUT THAT!
tireiron wrote:I would eat my own brain.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:24 am

canuck wrote:Woods is that an atmos or an aether? If it's an atmos i'm surprised at the amount of weight you're putting in it seemingly.

Great post.
That’s an Atmos 65. Yea the pack is being pushed. But still comfortable. A friend has the Ariel (women's Aether). I do think something like an Aether would have been better for this trip. Was looking at the Stratos, Atmos and Aether. Went with the Atmos for a UL daypack that can be expanded to a larger pack if needed. My logic worked out. Has enough room for a larger 72-BOB but don't think the Airspeed frame and mesh back would hold up to a blood and mud bugout. But oh man is it nice during summer.

canuck

Post by canuck » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:52 am

I'm sure the venting makes it comfortable as hell, but the load is so far from your back man. I would have gone the aether route (and still want one). For UL atmos can't be beat, but you have an argument for the summer pack, and I guess that your Kifaru replaces the need for the aether anyway.

Well played senor.
If you're not using your head, forget about survival.
czechnology wrote:Wait a minute... someone wrote a book about how to survive zombie attacks?? WE SHOULD START A FORUM ONLINE ABOUT THAT!
tireiron wrote:I would eat my own brain.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:00 pm

ironraven wrote:It is also much easier to shove snow in through a wide mouth container than a small one.

WW, I was wondering more if you'd seen any quality issues. I trust Nalgene for rigid items, but seeing as how I don't entrust ANY bladder yet and they are newer to the field than Platypus and Camelback are, I'm mainly thinking about fit and finish issues.
The Nalgenes look good and others have told me they hold up great. But it will take some time before I really trust them. The Platy bags have worked for years. But I never just use any bladder without at least one rigid canteen.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:08 pm

canuck wrote:I'm sure the venting makes it comfortable as hell, but the load is so far from your back man. I would have gone the aether route (and still want one). For UL atmos can't be beat, but you have an argument for the summer pack, and I guess that your Kifaru replaces the need for the aether anyway.

Well played senor.
The Aether is a great pack. If I didn't have the Kifaru Pointman and EMR I would go with an Aether for a 72-hour bugout and a Crescent for the INCH bag. Maybe toss in a few side orders too. :D

http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/SideOrders/

Icemancometh

Re: 96 oz Nalgene wide mouth collapsible canteen review.

Post by Icemancometh » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:12 pm

I am surprised to hear the shipping was slow. I ordered the same 96er along with some new 32oz bottles, 2 Oasis canteens and got them in 3 days. BTW one of the caps on a 32oz bottle was defective, I emailed CS and they sent me 2 replacements, got those in 2 days. Couldn't beat the 1/2 off, I got $62 worth of Nalgene for $31 and free shipping to boot.
You might as well change your name to Icemancometh because I own you.

joekaveh

Post by joekaveh » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:15 pm

Icemancometh wrote:I am surprised to hear the shipping was slow. I ordered the same 96er along with some new 32oz bottles, 2 Oasis canteens and got them in 3 days. BTW one of the caps on a 32oz bottle was defective, I emailed CS and they sent me 2 replacements, got those in 2 days. Couldn't beat the 1/2 off, I got $62 worth of Nalgene for $31 and free shipping to boot.
This post is 3 years old sir
here's a tip: learn to swim

Donate Blood: http://www.redcross.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my bob: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=49972" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Icemancometh

Post by Icemancometh » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:29 pm

joekaveh wrote:
Icemancometh wrote:I am surprised to hear the shipping was slow. I ordered the same 96er along with some new 32oz bottles, 2 Oasis canteens and got them in 3 days. BTW one of the caps on a 32oz bottle was defective, I emailed CS and they sent me 2 replacements, got those in 2 days. Couldn't beat the 1/2 off, I got $62 worth of Nalgene for $31 and free shipping to boot.
This post is 3 years old sir
I guess I should read a little closer. Didn't even think to look at the date.
You might as well change your name to Icemancometh because I own you.

aa1pr
Favorite Zombie Movies: [size=14][b]I got [color=red]%65.3669724770642[/color][/b] on the
[url=http://zomboid.com/zombie]Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz![/url][/size]

Post by aa1pr » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:30 pm

So hard to see you hiking in November and no snow there on the ground like we have there. That must be nice.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”