Gear review: USMC 2-man tent.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:54 pm

Technical Specifications:
Floor Area: 38 sq. ft. minimum
Minimum Weight: 8.5 lbs. (tent, fly and poles)
Height: 45" minimum at apex
Transport Pack Size: 0.5 cu. ft. (tent, fly, poles and repair kit)
Total Vestibule Area: Rain fly provides 20 sq. ft. of additional covered storage
Rain Fly: Free-standing, reversible Camouflage Green and Desert Tan, flame resistant

 Operable conditions 0F to 120F
 Ventilation for use in desert/arid environments, minimizes internal build up of condensation
 Withstands steady 40 mph winds and gusts to 55 mph
 Provides protection from flying and crawling insects
 Has sufficient head room for changing clothes
 Rain fly covers all openings in the shelter
 Rain fly prevents the escape of light and provides protection against visual and infrared
 Rain fly when installed provides 20 sq. ft. of additional covered storage and is adaptable for use independent of the shelter
 Rain fly has high wind guy out points for staking down the tent
• Able to withstand 40 mph steady winds and 55 mph wind gusts
• Working temperature 0F to 120F
• Protection from driving rain, sand and blowing snow
• Rain fly and frame set up without the inner tent
• 12 pc. Stakes
• Instruction sheet sewn into lid of tent bag to prevent loss
FLOOR -
70D Ripstop nylon weighing 2.2 - 3.0 oz. per square yard, withstands minimum water pressure of 145 psi

RAIN FLY -
70D Ripstop nylon weighing 3.5 oz. per square yard. Coating is pigmented polyurethane with blockout finish to prevent light from showing through fly material. Must withstand water pressure of 60 psi

BREATHABLE INNER TENT -
70D Ripstop nylon weighing 1.9 oz. per square yard

NETTING -
40D nylon no-see-um
 .355 in. diameter nylon poles with locking pole tips
 Shock cord quality 16448 cold weather rubber (.155 in. dia.)
 Frame attached to tent with post and grommets
 1 pc. Main transport bag
 1 pc. Frame bag

The USMC 2-man tent is the modernization of the old shelter half system that has been around forever. Seen some USMC 2-man tents with camo rain flys. However I like the solid reversible OD Green/ Coyote Brownish rain fly.

These shelters are made by Diamond Brand or Eureka. Mine is a Eureka. Betting there are few if any changes with the current models regardless of maker. My tent was purchased new on Ebay for about 150 dollars.

http://www.diamondbrand.com/dbm/about_us.html

http://military.eurekatents.com/tents/combat.html

The shelter packs down like an angry Black Bear. A wide mouth canteen is used for scale.

As I said this shelter is a beast to pack. Clearly intended for 2-person packing as the rain fly comes in its own stuff sack and can be set up as a floorless dome shelter. On the positive side the poles are high quality Easton Aluminum. The shelter comes with a generous supply of equally high quality Easton tubular Aluminum tent pegs, extra paracord and a comprehensive repair kit. The shelter weights in at nearly 9 lbs. Not ultra light by any standards but build to take a real pounding.

The shelter is easy to set up. The 5 Easton Aluminum poles slide though in a cross with the 5th being used to flare out the front.

Here is a photo of the inner tent fully setup. The doors have duel zippers to allow the high quality bug net to remain closed for ventilation. To adjust this just zip down the inner door flap to the desired position.

The rain fly is built very strong. It attaches to the inner tent with Velcro and plastic buckles on the inner tent tie-offs.

Here is a photo of the shelter’s front.

The shelter’s back.

Both front and back have a small annex type area that allows for gear storage. Not the biggest I have seen but sufficient for boots and other gear that you might not want to bring into the tent. A person can keep the bug net zipped with inner doors open during a rain storm as the rain fly extends past the doors.

The inside of the shelter is fairly roomy for a small dome tent. There is a mesh storage area for valuable gear that may require easy access.

Eureka has included a mesh top shelf for more gear storage. This feature is common on many tents and I have found them to be very useful to store LED headlamps, handguns and wallets. Any valuable items that you don’t want to get lost or require fast access is perfect for this storage area.

Pros:

The shelter is very well built. In fact you can shine a flashlight inside the thing and only the gaps between the inner tent and the rain fly would show the light. It has heavy duty zippers. They look like number 10 but could be wrong. The poles and pegs are very high quality. The shelter has never leaked a drop in any weather. The inner wall is breathable so the condensation is trapped outside against the inside of the rain fly. This is a classic feature of most double walled shelters. The tent seemed almost impervious the wind and held up great to heavy snow loads. The tent traps some extra heat during cold weather. I ran some winter camping test and according to my digital theromater the shelter was generally 5-10 degrees higher than the outside temperature. I did read that somehow the shelter offers a bit of protection against infrared detection but then again I have never tried to detect my tent using infrared anything.

Cons:

It is very heavy. It packs down like a beast. Thinking unless you are bugging out with a partner this shelter is a no go for a single person do to the pack size and weight. However if the shelter is placed in a car or other vehicles it may be more practical for solo camping or bug out shelter.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

drunkensurvivor

Post by drunkensurvivor » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:37 am

Good review, thanks. I bid on one of these on Ebay. I kind of wish I had bought it, they sound like gear that will last a long time.

JCD

Post by JCD » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:17 am

Wow! I never thought when I mentioned it that you would go out and BUY one.

Great review. Did it mention it's UV life?

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:46 pm

Tag.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:22 pm

Very nice. I need a good tent, and I like bomber stuff that will last a long time, so this may be the tent for me. Thanks for the review!
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Hatch
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Land of the Dead, Night of the Comet, Resident Evil, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Hatch » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:20 pm

Excellent review WW! I'm definitely adding this item to my "noted for further consideration" list. :)

--Hatch
3d6. That's how I roll.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:35 pm

JCD wrote:Wow! I never thought when I mentioned it that you would go out and BUY one.

Great review. Did it mention it's UV life?
I had the tent for a few years now. I think there is UV protection however I don't know what the life is. But I have tons of trees so my shelters have reduced exposure.

Pastryfish

Post by Pastryfish » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:34 pm

Awesome, I just saw one of these right before I read your post, and was trying to decide between the one-man or two-man version...

Two man for about a pound and a half extra, and more than twice the room...

Or a more compact, somewhat lighter, and much smaller (in the sense of easier to wedge in somewhere and hide while you sleep), but only for a single person and his gear.
Everything is funny. Just not everyone laughs.

canuck

Post by canuck » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:14 pm

I feel like I may be going the other way, but if anything I'm discouraged from buying the tent.

Now, personal situation taken into account, but the thing is huge and weighs nearly 10 pounds. I'm bugging out by bag not buick... so this option's out.

One way or another, thanks for the great review.

Pastryfish

Post by Pastryfish » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:22 pm

Eh, I like it. Excellent capability, for the size.

Perhaps I should've waited and given it a bit more thought, and bid on the one-man tent, instead.

I mean, my bug-out bag has, pretty much, a few MRE's, some water, a change of clothes, wet weather gear, sniffle gear if during the winter, some ammo for my rifle, a first aid kit, and my sleeping bag, with whatever layers I need for whichever season it is, plus misc. stuff.

And I have a nice, huge pack to put it in.

I figure this will, maybe, make my pack end up weighing 35 lbs or so, before I add in body armor and weapon.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:23 am

Pastryfish wrote:Awesome, I just saw one of these right before I read your post, and was trying to decide between the one-man or two-man version...

Two man for about a pound and a half extra, and more than twice the room...

Or a more compact, somewhat lighter, and much smaller (in the sense of easier to wedge in somewhere and hide while you sleep), but only for a single person and his gear.

I don't think the military has a one man version of this tent but I don't know. However my advice is to avoid cheap knock-offs as often they cut corners. Things like Fiberglass poles rather than Aluminum are good indicators of lower quality gear.

canuck

Yea the heavy weight and huge pack size is the biggest downside. I am thinking that for two people it would be better as it is made to be broken down into two parts. The rain fly makes for a nice floorless shelter as it can be set up alone. That does not weight too much. But for one person the whole thing it is a great deal to pack unless they are using a car for hurricane evacuation etc. My uncle had to evacuate from Marco Island a few years back and could not find a hotel. Wishing he had a tent like this as sleeping in a car just sucks.

Pastryfish

Post by Pastryfish » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:21 am

Woods Walker wrote: I don't think the military has a one man version of this tent but I don't know. However my advice is to avoid cheap knock-offs as often they cut corners. Things like Fiberglass poles rather than Aluminum are good indicators of lower quality gear.
http://military.eurekatents.com/tents/tcop.html

Only thing that bothered me about the one I saw up on ebay was that it was ACU pattern.

Yeah, the Army can say that the ACU pattern is a universal camoflauge all they want - I'm not gonna be caught dead in ACU-colored gear if I can help it...And especially not something where I'm as vulnerable as in a tent.

Plus, the 2-man tent I saw was used, so it was a lot cheaper than the brand-new single man.

And it's difficult to gauge the size difference without seeing them...So it's honestly probably not that much of an improvement....And besides...If I have to bug out, it might well be more than just myself, and this way I have a decent camping tent, too.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:53 am

If I got one it would deffinetly be for car camping type stuff, I already have a tarp in my BOB. All I really need is a bivy.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:54 am

Pastryfish wrote:
Woods Walker wrote: I don't think the military has a one man version of this tent but I don't know. However my advice is to avoid cheap knock-offs as often they cut corners. Things like Fiberglass poles rather than Aluminum are good indicators of lower quality gear.
http://military.eurekatents.com/tents/tcop.html

Only thing that bothered me about the one I saw up on ebay was that it was ACU pattern.

Yeah, the Army can say that the ACU pattern is a universal camoflauge all they want - I'm not gonna be caught dead in ACU-colored gear if I can help it...And especially not something where I'm as vulnerable as in a tent.

Plus, the 2-man tent I saw was used, so it was a lot cheaper than the brand-new single man.

And it's difficult to gauge the size difference without seeing them...So it's honestly probably not that much of an improvement....And besides...If I have to bug out, it might well be more than just myself, and this way I have a decent camping tent, too.
The one man tent is new to me but looks cool. I like the vestibule. Guess Eureka used the same high quality components as the larger tent. As for ACU some people like it others don't. I prefer OD, CB or MC however this is just personal preference. I tend to like larger shelters. 2-man often means 1 with gear. 4-man often means 2 with gear. Also if you get stuck inside during bad weather a small tent kind of wears on the nerves.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:24 pm

Woods: With respect, my tent is cooler than yours.

(Nice writeup as always)

SharkChild

Post by SharkChild » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:30 pm

DammitWoods Walker

Good reviews on tents.
I look foward at seen your tents. You have a vast knowledge on tents.

I am selling some of my stuff that I don't need so that I can purchase a tent.

Now that I had time to think about it.
I want a 4season tent.

I like both your reviews. If you have any other tents that are 4 seasons I am looking forward to see your reviews.
I like this tent and the Hex 3.

I should Have about $300 to spend on a tent.
I have till early September to get the tent so keep on posting.
Gunny What is the difference between your tent and Woods Walker?
nfa wrote:must...keep...my...fucking...mouth...shut...
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:15 am

Shark there's really not that much difference between the two. If I knew the specific name of his I could tell you.

magnus

Post by magnus » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:25 pm

My BOB uses a Eureka Spitfire Solo.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/store ... d=39168734

It's a very minimalist tent, but only weighs about 3 pounds. I'm a big feller and it does fit me. Vestibule area is pretty small though. It'll hold boots & a butt pack maybe but the pack has to stay outside.

Pastryfish

Post by Pastryfish » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:16 am

magnus wrote:My BOB uses a Eureka Spitfire Solo.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/store ... d=39168734

It's a very minimalist tent, but only weighs about 3 pounds. I'm a big feller and it does fit me. Vestibule area is pretty small though. It'll hold boots & a butt pack maybe but the pack has to stay outside.
One thing that really appealed to me in the description of the Eureka military tents was that with the cover over them, no light would escape.

Is this also true with the Spitfire?

magnus

Post by magnus » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:31 pm

I dunno; I've never been anal enough about morning light to make a point of noticing. :lol:

Pastryfish

Post by Pastryfish » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:47 pm

magnus wrote:I dunno; I've never been anal enough about morning light to make a point of noticing. :lol:
I'm not worried about seeing morning light, I'm worried about someone or something seeing my light at night.

Deschain
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Shaun of the Dead, Fido

Re: Gear review: USMC 2-man tent.

Post by Deschain » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:59 pm

Woods Walker wrote:It is very heavy. It packs down like a beast. Thinking unless you are bugging out with a partner this shelter is a no go for a single person do to the pack size and weight. However if the shelter is placed in a car or other vehicles it may be more practical for solo camping or bug out shelter.
I got one of my very own, because it looked like an awesome tent, and something I want to contribute regarding the above:

The stuff sack is absolute shit. That's why it packs down so awful- there's zero compression. Working with paracord, I managed to reduce the size by like 15%. I might try to bubba one up, since I really like the tent. I mean, even with two big guys and lots of kit, there's plenty of room. If the going got tough, you might able to do 4 with all the kit in the sheltered areas outside or under the rain fly. It'd be real...err....cozy, though.

Deschain
Control the things you can control, maggot. Let everything else take a flying fuck at you, and if you must go down, go down with your guns blazing.- Cort

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all.
-General Mattis

De-Domesticating the Modern Male

rotrhed

Post by rotrhed » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:40 am

Just picked up a Diamond-Brand version of the same style...

Not bad, but I snagged it used from http://www.sportsmanguide.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it didn't have the repair kit - and one of the poles fell apart after first use. To their credit, SG has offered to replace it free of charge.

The only pisser is that there's no convenient way to handle the poles, even with a stuff-sack. I'm new here, but at some point will throw together a few pics and some guidelines for my BoB. Most of what I've seen on here's not too bad at all, kudos to all the contributors.

D.

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:25 pm

Great threads deserve to be resurrected - but not for the sake of spam.

NXP

Return to “Bug Out Gear”