Pre-PAW Firearms Storage

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Mugwug
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Pre-PAW Firearms Storage

Post by Mugwug » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:51 am

Ok, got bored in a momentary lull here and played with the digital camera. Couldn't find a thread dealing specifically with storage (although I am sure I saw one before).

How do you store your firearms? (Looking for general info only....)

Mine are stored inside a metal cabinet (not the best admittedly) which is bolted to the floor and wall located in a "strengthened" closet (beefed up door and lock). Inside the firearms are trigger locked, and the ammunition is stored in a locked case inside the closet (but seperate from the firearms themselves).

Of course most of these measures are mandated by the government, but I did go a little "above and beyond" for my own piece of mind.

Mr_Fubar

Post by Mr_Fubar » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:45 pm

Mine are stored in a narrow yet large closet with secure lock and door, In the same locker you have. But... I have a keypad safe on top with a loaded pistol in it. And each long gun and pistol in the locker has two full loads of ammunition with it (Be it in boxes or mags) an no trigger locks. The rest is kept in a locked toolbox next to the locker and a large rolling toolbox a few blocks away...
EMT-B Certified
Please read:Medical Information Disclaimer

"In ourselves our safety must be sought,
By our own right hand it must be wrought."

— William Wordsworth

Nightside_Eclipse

Post by Nightside_Eclipse » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:35 pm

My Mini 14 and my 870 are propped up in a corner about 6 feet from my bed.

I love America. Especially the South. :D

I am planning on getting a gun safe soon though- so I can store my other rifles and gun supplies all nice and neat.

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Wild Zero, Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dellamorte Dellamore (The Cemetery Man), Braindead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by kyle » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:53 pm

I keep my rifle locked in a gun case in my closet with a triger lock. The handgun is locked in another firesafe with a triger lock as well.

I don't want to worry about firearms in my home if friends bring over kids. If I lived in an area where cops couldn't get to me in less than a minute or two I would make them more accessable. Since there is a Police substation across the street I'm not stressing.

I can make it to the safe, unlock it and load it in less than a minute so if things got serious I may be fine. I keep a crowbar and a maglight by my bed just in case.
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:48 pm

I've got mine cased, trigger locks in place, and ammo stored seperately. I'm getting lockable cases for the longarms (already have them for the pistols). I'm going to cable lock these together and to the wall. I've been keeping one loaded p[istol in a locked drawer, however, I'm not doing that anymore since I moved to a better neighborhood.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Mr_Fubar

Post by Mr_Fubar » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:22 pm

My loaded pistol is because of my occupation... You find out exactly what kind of people live around you...
EMT-B Certified

— William Wordsworth

Oracle

Post by Oracle » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:27 pm

I have the shotgun beside the bed, and my usual carry pistol in my top drawer along with my other carry gear (I carry a handgun every day that I leave the house). I have the other firearms I keep in my house in a locked closet with a reinforced door, but I keep most of my firearms at my BOL.

Soon, though, I'll be keeping my carry gun in a thumbprint recognition safe on my nightstand, and my shotgun will be put in a locker in my bedroom. My little one is just about to start walking, so, the firearms have to be better secured.

-Jason-
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by -Jason- » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:45 pm

Did you add the red stuff just for the picture or is it always there?

raptorman

Post by raptorman » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:53 pm

Loaded and ready 24/7, and within arm's reach when I sleep.
Author of the hit Day by Day Armageddon series and dystopian thriller, Tomorrow War
JLBourne.com
Official Facebook

ProZombieHunter

Post by ProZombieHunter » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:05 pm

I keep the long guns stored side by side in a plain wooden cabinet that is not locked, but every gun is trigger-locked. The handguns go on a shelf above the cabinet, and each one of those is trigger-locked as well.

Ammo is stored in a trio of range boxes which, of course, accompany me to the range and into the goose-blind. Each box is also locked.

(And every single one of these locks takes a different key). I keep the key-ring in a secure drawer (usually locked), and keep my tac folder near my bed for emergency self defense.

If a guy breaks into my house and has a gun, I figure he can have everything he can carry -- Except my guns, which is why I plan on upgrading to a reasonably-sized gunsafe when I move. Which won't be for a while, admittedly, but once there...
If you drop a zombie, does that count as a kill?

...Think about it.

Mugwug
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Mugwug » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:31 pm

Mr_Fubar wrote:My loaded pistol is because of my occupation... You find out exactly what kind of people live around you...
I can understand that, here however the law is clear. Firearms may only be loaded in a place where it is legal to discharge them. If not loaded then safe storage applies. The irony is that for home defence I have an 18" Pattern '07 (SMLE) bayonet by the bed, looks like a small sword.
-Jason- wrote:Did you add the red stuff just for the picture or is it always there?
The red shop rags under the handguns? Always there....the shelf the handguns are on is plain metal, don't want to scratch up the finish of the handguns any more than has already been done....I've been meaning for ages to properly cut and glue down the rags, but as I store the guns "greasy" this is just easier for replacement.

Red Panda
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Red Panda » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:25 am

Mugwug,

I was under the impression that if you harmed an intruder with something that was intended to be a weapon, you could be charged. At least, here in Toronto.

I have a 3C Maglite in the nightstand. After the blackout, I can't see anyone questioning that & it makes a nice bludgeon.

Mugwug
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Mugwug » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:42 am

Red Panda wrote:Mugwug,

I was under the impression that if you harmed an intruder with something that was intended to be a weapon, you could be charged. At least, here in Toronto.

I have a 3C Maglite in the nightstand. After the blackout, I can't see anyone questioning that & it makes a nice bludgeon.
RP, typically the police advise that if someone breaks into your house you should remove yourself from the situation (ie leave) if possible.

However the CCC (Canadian Criminal Code) is quite clear on the reasonable use of force, you are justified in using force to defend yourself or those under your protection if you are in reasonable fear of death or grevious bodily harm.
34. (1) Every one who is unlawfully assaulted without having provoked the assault is justified in repelling force by force if the force he uses is not intended to cause death or grievous bodily harm and is no more than is necessary to enable him to defend himself.

(2) Every one who is unlawfully assaulted and who causes death or grievous bodily harm in repelling the assault is justified if

(a) he causes it under reasonable apprehension of death or grievous bodily harm from the violence with which the assault was originally made or with which the assailant pursues his purposes; and

(b) he believes, on reasonable grounds, that he cannot otherwise preserve himself from death or grievous bodily harm.

Oracle

Post by Oracle » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:35 am

Not knocking you Canucks, you seem to be fine people, but I don't think I could live in Canada. Police advising you to leave your own house rather than defend yourself? Ugh. Thankfully, where I live, we have something called the "castle doctrine", meaning that if someone is in your house and up to no good, they're pretty much fair game.

Mugwug
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Mugwug » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:22 am

Oracle wrote:Not knocking you Canucks, you seem to be fine people, but I don't think I could live in Canada. Police advising you to leave your own house rather than defend yourself? Ugh. Thankfully, where I live, we have something called the "castle doctrine", meaning that if someone is in your house and up to no good, they're pretty much fair game.
Tell me about it.... it's not as bad as all that, but shooting an intruder is a quick and easy way to face criminal charges and confiscation of the guns. This is a subject of hot debate among the firearms owners community, along with CCW and so forth.

ghostface

Post by ghostface » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:53 am

Sorry to derail the topic for a minute...
Red Panda wrote:I have a 3C Maglite in the nightstand. After the blackout, I can't see anyone questioning that & it makes a nice bludgeon.

Maglites were (and might still possibly be) on sale recently at both Lowes and Walmart. I was thinking about getting one but wasn't sure which one would be best for a bit of the old ultraviolence. The 3C, being in the middle, seemed the likely candidate. But I heard that some LEOs carry rechargeable maglites. Has anyone ever seen/used one of those, and are they worth the approx. $89 price tag?
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own...

Mugwug
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Mugwug » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:59 am

ghostface wrote:Maglites were (and might still possibly be) on sale recently at both Lowes and Walmart. I was thinking about getting one but wasn't sure which one would be best for a bit of the old ultraviolence. The 3C, being in the middle, seemed the likely candidate. But I heard that some LEOs carry rechargeable maglites. Has anyone ever seen/used one of those, and are they worth the approx. $89 price tag?
I own one of the rechargable maglights (you can always tell because of the silver rings just behind the button), paid about $115 (CDN) for it in '96 and has been entirely reliable ever since (they're much brighter than the 3 D cell standards that are the same size, as there are actually 5 rechargable cells inside). The flashlight has paid for itself several times over in batteries alone.

-Jason-
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by -Jason- » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:19 pm

raptorman wrote:Loaded and ready 24/7, and within arm's reach when I sleep.
A good way as long as they indnagfer no one that didnt first endanger you.

Norseman

Post by Norseman » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:10 pm

-Jason- wrote:
raptorman wrote:Loaded and ready 24/7, and within arm's reach when I sleep.
A good way as long as they indnagfer no one that didnt first endanger you.
Jason - what in the hell is the word I highlighted in your post?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." ---George Orwell

Mr_Fubar

Post by Mr_Fubar » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:09 pm

Technically... (I Hate Using That Word) Even in The States if you have access to an exit other than passing by the bad guy your use of force can be highly scrutenized in court...
EMT-B Certified

— William Wordsworth

ghostface

Post by ghostface » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:44 pm

Mugwug wrote:I own one of the rechargable maglights
The flashlight has paid for itself several times over in batteries alone.
Thanks! Would you bash a zombie in the head with one with the same confidence as one that took D batteries?
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own...

Oracle

Post by Oracle » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:57 pm

Technically... (I Hate Using That Word) Even in The States if you have access to an exit other than passing by the bad guy your use of force can be highly scrutenized in court...
Uh, no. That highly depends upon what State you live in. If you live in a State with a "castle doctrine" law, there is no requirement to flee from your house, period, regardless of how close you are to an exit. Such a thing wouldn't be scrutinized at all in court.

In Texas, the law gives you full authority to use lethal force against anyone on any part of your property after dark. This law has been upheld in several recent cases.

What you've stated above may be true in some heavily anti-self-defense States like Massachusetts or Illinois, but in the South and most of the West, it wouldn't apply at all.

minengr

Post by minengr » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:15 pm

I am not a lawyer, so the following is my best guess. Self-defense is a complicated subject. Legally I don’t believe there is a cut and dried definition. However, my understanding is you can defend yourself with a firearm only if you are in fear of your life or the life of a relative.

If a situation arises where deadly force is necessary (the only reason to use a firearm on the living) you use that force until the perpetrator is no longer a threat. Just by pulling a gun you are showing the need to use deadly force (at least that’s how most courts interpret it in my opinion). So by loading a weapon with less than lethal ammo you negate that perceived need for deadly force and therefore shouldn’t have brandished a firearm to begin with.

You want to avoid this type of scenario.

Lawyer: Why did you pull your gun and shoot Mr. Smith?
You: I was in fear of my life.
Lawyer: Was Mr. Smith armed?
You: Not that I could tell, but I was in fear for my life.
Lawyer: But your shotgun was loaded with rock salt/popcorn/rubber BB’s
You: Well, I really just wanted to scare him, so he’d get out of my house.
Lawyer: So, your life wasn’t in danger, but you still felt the need to brandish your short barreled pump-action Remington 870 military riot gun capable of shooting Mr. Smith FIVE times. Don’t you think that is a little excessive? Why didn’t you just flee your house? You’ve already admitted that your life wasn’t REALLY in danger.

The end result: the jury charges you with assault with a deadly weapon, unlawful use of a firearm, discharging a firearm within city limits, and attempted murder. You go to jail as a felon, never get to own a gun again, and you get to pay Mr. Smith thousands of dollars for his pain and suffering that he incurred while robbing your house.

Hope that makes sense.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

ghostface

Post by ghostface » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:32 pm

I brought up a similar question in a different thread. Maybe this needs its own topic? Is there such a thing as "Castle Doctrine"/"Make My Day Laws" or is this just the stuff of rumor and misunderstanding?

I've seen these "laws" referenced in news articles but never seen the statutes.

EDIT: Here's another news story referencing such a law.

also, here's something about OK's statute- I haven't authenticated it yet.
'21-1289.25. Unlawful entry of dwelling - Physical or deadly force
against intruder - Affirmative defense and immunity from civil
liability.

A. The Legislature hereby recognizes that the citizens of the
State of Oklahoma have a right to expect absolute safety within
their own homes.
B. Any occupant of a dwelling is justified in using any degree
of physical force, including but not limited to deadly force,
against another person who has made an unlawful entry into that
dwelling, and when the occupant has a reasonable belief that such
other person might use any physical force, no matter how slight,
against any occupant of the dwelling.
C. Any occupant of a dwelling using physical force, including
but not limited to deadly force, pursuant to the provisions of
subsection B of this section, shall have an affirmative defense in
any criminal prosecution for an offense arising from the reasonable
use of such force and shall be immune from any civil liability for
injuries or death resulting from the reasonable use of such force.

Added by Laws 1987, c. 54, ' 2, eff. Nov. 1, 1987.
Last edited by ghostface on Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”