BOB canteen fishing system.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

BOB canteen fishing system.

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:04 pm

Here is a system that I use for my BOB and general hikes etc. The whole fishing set is 3.8 oz. What is so f@cking cool about this is that it really adds no weight to the BOB as canteens are something that is often carried anyways. I used a small 14 oz Nalgene water bottle because it fits a person’s hands well and has a good loop for attaching the lanyard and fishing line. I put about 30-50 feet of line on the bottle. The lanyard is made from 2 feet of Para cord and plastic scavenged out a container with some electrical tape. I will include a link on how to make this. With a some practice this little rig can cast about 30-50 feet with surprising accuracy. You reel in your line by winding it back around the canteen. Why carry around some line and a few hooks and call it an angling kit? With just a tinny bit of work and no added weight to your BOB you can have something that for ranges under 50 feet works just like a real rod and reel. Try it!

Here is the link:

http://edengelman.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a photo of my system. I can cast it up to 50 feet and reel it back in fast enough to even use a lure. You can cast it with one hand or two. I have caught tons of fish with it.

Photo of a cast from the posted web site:

It can be cast one handed using your finger holding the line before the toss. Sometimes I use two hands. One to hold the canteen the other to swing the line near the bobber.

Field report.

Normally I do a field report with my gear threads. Sorry to say this was not done in this case. I was targeting brook trout on a stream that feeds into a lake. Then I intended to try luck at the lake for panfish. I was working some small pools for the trout. Sorry for the dark photos but that is just the nature of the woods.

I had a hit with the black fly but no luck. This fly has caught trout before but not today. I did catch something big and stupid however. :oops: Rather embarrassing but for full discloser I must report the bad with the good. Was impossible to pull out so needed to cut the shirt.

Moved over the green woolly bugger and it was totally ignored. I guess that is why it is called fishing. I will return to this spot and try a worm with maybe a #8 hook. Normally if looking to eat brookies I use a #12 however these tend to be swallowed. If I get any brookies on the next trip using the BOB canteen fishing setup I will post the photos. Native brookies are fine looking fish.

Followed the stream down to the lake and took a cast. The hand casting system offer good distance with practice. The bobber is out about 50 feet.

Fish on!

A yellow perch taken on the black woolly bugger. The fish was reeled in just like a normal fishing pole.

Here is a sunfish. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. I got maybe 10 more panfish than hiked out.

The only real updates for the BOB canteen fishing system are to use more line than I originally stated. I now put about 100 feet. This does not tangle the line and offers extra backup for knots and breakage. Also I added some weighted bobbers for increased casting distance. This helps in ponds and lakes. But the splash will scare fish in small pools so I kept one of my smaller standard bobbers.
Last edited by Woods Walker on Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:44 pm, edited 8 times in total.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Blasphemous

Post by Blasphemous » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:39 am

More please :idea:
Veteran of Z-Con 2006-2010

Brash
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn of the Dead (Original), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, Special Dead.

Post by Brash » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:12 am

Thats damn cool. I'll try that next time we camp near the lake.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:38 am

It really works. I have used it sense I was a kid but with a soda can. I didn't have the cash to buy a rod back then so this was the next best thing. I can almost catch as many trout etc with this type of rig as a normal spinning reel/rod. I can’t compare it to my fly rod but I am never without an effective means of catching fish. I tend to use heavier line. Normally with the spinning rod I use 6 lb test. But there is no rod to adsorb the shock and no drag so I go with 8lb test. Anyone can become fairly proficient after a few hours.

I use a rubber band to keep the line in place when using the canteen for water etc. I think anyone that tries it will be impressed at the range.

To cast the rig You can pull some line off and toss the bait/bobber or lure with the other hand and point the canteen in the direction you want. Or with some more practice just use one hand. Often I still go with the two handed method for areas of overgrowth (casting under trees etc).

The line spools off just like a normal spinning rod.

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:48 am

WW- Good idea! I will have to give it a try. Thanks.
DK
"I don't wan't to be the ruler of this world... I want to be the ruler of another world."
"Well he should have armed himself...if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."
"...And you can keep that silly fat wanker. The lads can't lift him."

charlie fox

Post by charlie fox » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:30 pm

I've seen this done with old glass Coke bottles...now I've got to try it! :D
"Lawyers, Guns and Money"

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:44 pm

Good info. I will also try this sometime soon, hopefully.

numberthree

Post by numberthree » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:54 pm

This is a brilliant idea. I'll be setting up one of these rigs tonight!
non serviam

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:40 pm

One thing I forgot to add is that a swivel is really the best way to connect the line to the bottle loop or can tab as you can tighten the line if it comes a bit undone in the back without re tying it. I just put the swivel back on mine as I forgot when I relined the thing.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:40 am

Went fishing today. We were short a rod, so I almost employed this system, but we ended up improvising a rod using a reel from my friends' BOB and a piece of PVC as a rod. Will post pics soon.

Omega Storm
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04, Shaun of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Omega Storm » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:14 pm

Very cool. I've been wanting to add fishing gear to my BOB and this sounds good.
Thanks.

--------------
Rooster wrote: BTW-Anyone who likes werewolf movies, stay away from Darkwolf. Even with gratuitous nudity, it's not worth it. I could drink a bottle of Drano Max and still outdo their CGI with an Etch-A-Sketch.
Sturmwehr wrote: About DOTD ’04:
"We're going to the mall."
"You do that. Meanwhile I'll be at the GUNSTORE that's right across the street from it. You let me know how it works out on your end, ok?"

When you need it, and don't have it, you sing a different tune.--Burt Gummer

Catch you fuckers at a bad time? –Abraham Whistler
Tavor/Glock/Cans/AKM/Yummy Pie/Wire Neutral/Fast Zombies
Bearcat wrote:I think it looks sick. I will definitely get one sometime down the road.
RIP Pat HK33K
ZS Fleet #0039 & 0044
When you need it, and don't have it, you sing a different tune.-Burt Gummer
Catch you f***ers at a bad time? –Abraham Whistler
My blog: http://omega-storm.blogspot.com/

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:17 pm

Here is a place to buy a hand line system that takes up very little space.

http://www.streamlines.com/

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:22 am

Seeing how the topic of fishing gear came under my BOB thread I will give this a Bump.

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Wild Zero, Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dellamorte Dellamore (The Cemetery Man), Braindead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by kyle » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:36 am

Thanks for sharing and for bumping. I totally missed this.

You have the best sig by the way. :)
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

TheFreakinBear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Trilogy, Boondock Saints, 300, Snatch, Ghostbusters, Ice Age.

Post by TheFreakinBear » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:52 am

This is an awesome post. I was going to buy one of those pen fishing poles for like $20 or whatever but I've already got the parts for this and it obviously works. Kick ass! Thanks man!
ImageImage

Milkboot

Post by Milkboot » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:00 am

Holy crap, I remember one of my uncles making me one of these at our lake house in Mico, TX I felt so lame using it even tho I wanted to fish with them soooo bad. Now that I look back, I was cool :P

canuck

Post by canuck » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:34 pm

You've suddenly made the whole fishing system lightweight and feasible.

+1.
If you're not using your head, forget about survival.
czechnology wrote:Wait a minute... someone wrote a book about how to survive zombie attacks?? WE SHOULD START A FORUM ONLINE ABOUT THAT!
tireiron wrote:I would eat my own brain.

bingo 7
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by bingo 7 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:26 am

First of all I wanted to give this a bump anyway. This system is ideal for everyone. I grew up fishing. Where I live we are less than 30 minutes from three nice lakes. It is a rural area with many lakes and of course my favorite, ponds. I love fishing ponds. You never know what you will pull out of one. However, in a PAW or Bug out situation these ponds can be a very good place to look for food. Most of these rural ponds have Perch (Bluegill, Panfish.) They are very easy to catch and will take nearly any bait. They are not my favorite to eat, but they fry up nice.

Now to get to my point. For years I have carried a fishing pole or poles in my vehicle. However, I have destroyed several poles too because of the heat. After I saw this post and the site referred to in it. I decided I would use these in the car. It works great for the kids.

Well I got to thinking about making it more PAW/practical. I have about 50 ft of line wrapped around a old water bottle the kids had practical destroyed. Inside is where things get a little different. I have included a knife, lighter, hand warmers, a little fuse holder that has a jig, sinkers and flies in it and some extra line. I also took some hooks, sinkers, and jigs and placed them on some packing tape. Then I folded the tape back over it. It keeps them all nice and neat.

Here are some pics. Thanks again for the tip WW.

EDIT: I have also added a small ziplock bag of dryer lint. It also keeps things from rattling around. Total weight is right at 6 ozs.

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:37 am

That's great. Now I can take my spools of fishing line and bits and pieces, and make a bottle fishing kit so I can hand cast rather than what I planned to do...

What I originally planned was finding a stream, taking my hiking staff and affixing a dozen or more hooks onto lines, and space them out along the staff. Then put a bit of something on each hook, and let it sit in the stream. Improvised trot line.

Or just run a real trot line.
ElricFate's DIY .22/.177 Bullet Trap
ZombieSquad Reservist
I survived Zombie Con 2014/2015 (Tickcon)/2016

bingo 7
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by bingo 7 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:45 am

elricfate wrote:That's great. Now I can take my spools of fishing line and bits and pieces, and make a bottle fishing kit so I can hand cast rather than what I planned to do...

What I originally planned was finding a stream, taking my hiking staff and affixing a dozen or more hooks onto lines, and space them out along the staff. Then put a bit of something on each hook, and let it sit in the stream. Improvised trot line.

Or just run a real trot line.
What I would do as a kid on the river is attach lines to overhanging tree branches. It worked really well for an incredibly lazy fisherman.

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:57 am

bingo 7 wrote:
What I would do as a kid on the river is attach lines to overhanging tree branches. It worked really well for an incredibly lazy fisherman.
Lazy. Yea, that about covers the way I fish. But I was more thinking so you could continue doing other things like collecting firewood for the dinner fire, etc, while still fishing.

But hell, for fishing to relax, I'm definitely going to build a bottle kit. Going to include some band-its, too, since they're extremely cheap to make. Rubberband tied to a hook, split tail, few tie points, etc. This one is the exact example I was looking for.
ElricFate's DIY .22/.177 Bullet Trap
ZombieSquad Reservist
I survived Zombie Con 2014/2015 (Tickcon)/2016

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: BOB canteen fishing system.

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:29 pm

Original post updated with field report.

GunTotingHippy

Post by GunTotingHippy » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:07 am

That's really cool!

I'm a little unclear how you reel it back in with a fish on the line, though :? . Do you just wrap the line back around the bottle with your hand, or is there some "trick" I'm over looking?
Zombies = Carrion Carryin' On.
Me = Keep on Keepin' on.

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:37 pm

Woods Walker,
I am going to make one of these and give it a try. Looks like fun. I'll post pics when I get it done later in the summer.

DK
"I don't wan't to be the ruler of this world... I want to be the ruler of another world."
"Well he should have armed himself...if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."
"...And you can keep that silly fat wanker. The lads can't lift him."

Return to “Bug Out Gear”