HB 845 Clears Executive Committee in Illinois -- Audio MP3

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

cipher77

HB 845 Clears Executive Committee in Illinois -- Audio MP3

Post by cipher77 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:43 pm

This bill would criminalize losing a firearm or being the victim of a theft of a firearm.

I didn't know if I should have put this in firearms or here. I hope that it's ok to post it here.

Here's the testimonyof the HB 845 -- It's really good listen

and The New states atty. Alvarez's arguement doesn't hold a candle to the NRA guys testimony.

http://isra.org/legislation/media/HB845_testimony.mp3
Last edited by cipher77 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
-Mark Twain

Ovationman

Re: HB 845 Clears Executive Committee in Illinois -- Audio MP3

Post by Ovationman » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:57 pm

What?

Valekhai

Post by Valekhai » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:05 pm

Ovationman wrote:What?
The bill would amend the FOID card law to require gun owners to notify police of the loss or theft of a handgun within 72 hours. First offense is a petty offense, second and subsequent offenses are Class A misdemeanors and would result in having your FOID card revoked.

I'm listening to the audio and read the bill. I find it funny that both the State's Attorney and the NRA rep both mentioned examples involving long guns when the text of the bill only mentions handguns.

ETA: Also funny (in an infuriating way) that she goes on to say that this law isn't for hunters because those people are responsible and would report a loss anyway, but for people making illegal straw purchases. Um...so we're making a new law to punish people who are committing a felony by hitting them with a new misdemeanor. Awesome.
I'm guarding the hooooouuuuuse.

phoenixmastm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Land of the Dead, Undead, 28 weeks later.

Post by phoenixmastm » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:27 pm

Valekhai wrote:
Ovationman wrote:What?
The bill would amend the FOID card law to require gun owners to notify police of the loss or theft of a handgun within 72 hours. First offense is a petty offense, second and subsequent offenses are Class A misdemeanors and would result in having your FOID card revoked.

I'm listening to the audio and read the bill. I find it funny that both the State's Attorney and the NRA rep both mentioned examples involving long guns when the text of the bill only mentions handguns.

ETA: Also funny (in an infuriating way) that she goes on to say that this law isn't for hunters because those people are responsible and would report a loss anyway, but for people making illegal straw purchases. Um...so we're making a new law to punish people who are committing a felony by hitting them with a new misdemeanor. Awesome.
Innit fun living here? :D

I can only hope that I never lose a gun due to carelessness or thievery on my part, I only have 2 to lose and both I love more than anything else. :(

Hopefully this is the only bullcrap bill they let pass and this will be the end of the tomfoolery [/sarcasm]
Up onto the overturned keel
Clamber, with a heart of steel
Cold is the ocean spray
And your death is on it's way
With maidens you've had your way
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

Turbofire

Post by Turbofire » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:21 pm

Being from NJ, I understand your frustration, it's amazing in states where you already need an ID card they want more laws. We have a bill for the one handgun a month law meanwhile you already need a permit for each handgun purchased. This law doesn't seem that outlandish by itself if it wasn't on top of so much other crap, I would report it if I ever had a gun stolen, law or not.
How's the overturning of the handgun ban going?
__We all drink the koolaid once in a while, some just prefer a different flavor.

cipher77

Post by cipher77 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:32 am

Turbofire wrote:Being from NJ,
How's the overturning of the handgun ban going?
From what I can tell, just like everything else in the courts: slow as shit -- There's currently a lawsuit that was filed & the judge sided w/ the city but advised them that this ideology will not last & that sooner or later the plaintiff (some lawyer from the east coast who filed the lawsuit in defense of law abiding gun owners) will prevail eventually.
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
-Mark Twain

frath0
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fav? Probably the Night of the Living Dead remake - first zombie flick I decided to buy because I enjoyed it so much.

Post by frath0 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:37 am

WTF is so hard to understand about "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED?" NOT "commonsense gun laws," NOT it's OK unless it's an evil black rifle, NOT because someone incorrectly terms it something offensive like "assault rifle" (even though it's semi and not fully automatic - it says "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."

It's gotten past the point of ludicrous.
**Actual Conversation from the h0 h0useh0ld:**
Boy: "Daddy, where's next Gombie?!" (charges plastic AR-15)
Daddy: "Oh no buddy, he's coming for your baby sister!"
Boy: "NO WAY GOMBIE, I WUV MY SISSY!!!" (ratatatata with plastic AR-15)

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:27 am

frath0 wrote:WTF is so hard to understand about "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED?" NOT "commonsense gun laws," NOT it's OK unless it's an evil black rifle, NOT because someone incorrectly terms it something offensive like "assault rifle" (even though it's semi and not fully automatic - it says "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."

It's gotten past the point of ludicrous.
+1 I have beaten this horse to death so all I have to say is let me do what I want as long as it is within the law and constituition, and I will let you do what you want as long as it is within the law and the consitituition and not on my property.
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

Trioxin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Trioxin » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:49 pm

Is this just a bill for 'crazy land' (i.e. Illonois) or is it federal?
You Are Not Free.
FYI: the 7.4 trillion dollars used to bail out Wall Street could give $23,000 to EVERY man, woman, and child in the US.
Slowly moving toward my 666th post. YEAH!!

cipher77

Post by cipher77 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:41 pm

Trioxin wrote:Is this just a bill for 'crazy land' (i.e. Illonois) or is it federal?
its state

TN is spared the jackassery of the IL (or rather the state of Chicago) politicians
-Mark Twain

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:48 am

Having listened to the audio and read the language of the Bill, it's clear to me that it's pretty much pointless.

The State's Atty herself even said that it was ridiculous to insinuate that a criminal would comply with this law, yet then went on to indicate that law-abiding gun owners would be unaffected by it.

Who then, is it intended to stop/intimidate?
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:07 pm

I view all these new laws as ways to put the BG away for longer if they ever get caught while annoying the piss out of us normies and law abiders. I hate to say it, but if that really is the reason, then sucks to be the BG, but sucks to be in IL if you don't report a stolen weapon.
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

frath0
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fav? Probably the Night of the Living Dead remake - first zombie flick I decided to buy because I enjoyed it so much.

Post by frath0 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:50 am

It's just about damn time they get over this and go on to other, more important things. Criminals won't turn in guns - we KNOW this. Now Cali can trumphet the success of guns-for-sneakers or guns-for-cash, but let's get real; it's just as likely that they decided to go burgle someone's house to get a new pair of kicks. It's not a blue vs. red issues - many on the blue side own guns as well, and are just as pissed about 2nd Amendment infringement. I just received the latest "Gun Ban" scare email, and just made the decision - go ahead and register, if you like.

It was amazing - the one time I decided to go out on the water, with all of my guns of course, we capsized and lost everything. Damn tragic boating accidents will be on the rise, I'd assume.
**Actual Conversation from the h0 h0useh0ld:**
Boy: "Daddy, where's next Gombie?!" (charges plastic AR-15)
Daddy: "Oh no buddy, he's coming for your baby sister!"
Boy: "NO WAY GOMBIE, I WUV MY SISSY!!!" (ratatatata with plastic AR-15)

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”