Erik's Upgraded Drinking Water Storage w/Pics

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

UncleLumpy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead?

Re: Erik's Upgraded Drinking Water Storage w/Pics

Post by UncleLumpy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:08 pm

Look into local bottling plants that do soda pop, etc.
Some places also have them left over from some solid foods like olives in brine, etc. These may have a residual flavor that can't/won't wash out.

Hoses used for human drinking (potable) water are available from RV stores and places like Wally World. Probably available through your local True Value etc.

If storing the drums outside, make sure they're protected from sunlight/UV deterioration.
To prevent freezing, place on a sheet of ply over a foam insulation sheet (the hard stuff).
Surround with hay bales, stacked tightly. Should stay unfrozen for quite a while. Only drawback is possible vermin/mice.
You could make an insulated box, place drums inside.
Cover with an insulated lid, like more rigid foam glued to ply.

maetsack

Post by maetsack » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:19 pm

Score! - I just picked up two 55 Gal food grade PVC barrels for $25. They came from the good folks at Kraft and I even got them to sell me 4 extra barrel bungs for a buck a piece. Previous usage - vanilla flavouring - Mmmmm.

So here's my idea - I'm thinking if building a rain water collection canopy using some galvanized metal to form a V shaped roof. This roof will meet in the middle above a PVC eavestrough with one end open above a slow sand filter. The slow sand filter is a food grade bucket with layers of sand and charcoal that filter the water before it is deposited into the barrel. The unit will be built into a wooden chasis so that the components can be attached together. The idea is to have a self-contained collection-filtration-purification-storage system.

Now right now I see one problem in that a heavy rainfall could overwhelm the slow sand filter, but I can mitigate that by making the roof panels adjustable. Anyone anticipate any other problems?

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:26 pm

re: hoses...

I discovered that an RV/Boat hose will work as well as a "drink safe" hose since it's marked "for potable water" on the front. Got one for only $15 at Ace in case anyone else needs to replace their lead-containing hose with a drinkable one.
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

colinz

Post by colinz » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:01 am

Maetsack - What is the likelihood of having water contamination due to the zinc coating ont he steel washing off, or will the filter take care of that?

maetsack

Post by maetsack » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:24 am

Colinz - Good question. I need to account for at least 2 materials prior to hitting the filter - whatever the roof is made of and whatever the eavestrough is made of. I think I'm going to go with PVC eavestrough material. Even if it isn't intended to conduct potable water, the water will be in it for seconds before it hits the filter so . As for the roof, I'm now thinking maybe bare aluminum given we use it for cooking already. The V-roof could be two large un-coated cookie sheets if I can find such an animal.

Is there a type of steel/??? sheeting that would work better? Obviously it needs to be something that won't rust.

The filter itself is alternating layers of sand and charcoal. It works on the same principle as camping filters so I would assume it can filter out 99.9 of contaminants if built properly.

jeremya
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by jeremya » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:43 pm

Since I live in an apartment and will be for the foreseeable future. I am thinking of getting 4-6 5 gallon Food Grade Buckets to store water in.

like these:
http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=MS ... 1220899054" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any thoughts?

-- Jeremy
KE5TWG
zXzGrifterzXz wrote:Well my friends, I only have 2 balls and my balls deserve the best money can buy.
"There is always one more thing you can do to increase your odds of success" -- Lt. Col. Hal Moore

dbruce

Post by dbruce » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:24 pm

jeremya,

Not sure but these:

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_ ... +Water+Kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Might work out better.

Stackable--The buckets are too but a hit to the side may "pop" the lid. I know with grain in them it won't but not sure about water.

Web site has no mention of folding them flat when empty but I think they do. Takes up less room when empty.

Pour Spout would be handy. No dipping from the bucket!

Your choice, I like the boxes. :)

dbruce

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:48 pm

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=587765" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are much easier to deal with when full. 25lbs rather than 50....
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

colinz

Post by colinz » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:07 am

maetsack wrote: Is there a type of steel/??? sheeting that would work better? Obviously it needs to be something that won't rust.
I would have thought that a bonded-paint type steel sheeting (coloursteel over here) would be better than zinc coated steel, and that the plastic corrugated panels (called clearlight over here) would be even better. :)

Coloursteel

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:19 am

I've accumulated some 5-liter HDPE jugs that originally contained restaurant-grade balsamic vinegar. Because balsamic, even the cheap stuff, is a high-value product and comes all the way from Italy, these are some sturdy, tight sealing jugs. There's a separate rubber seal in the cap, and they're squared off for space-efficient storage. They fill a useful intermediate niche between a Nalgene and Erik's battery of drums, and they're free! Plus I get a warm fuzzy feeling from keeping useful gear out of the landfill.

Right now I mostly use 'em as weights for ruck march training. 5-liters of water = 11 lb. Makes calculation easy.
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

Erik

Post by Erik » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:43 pm

Bump for posterity.

Biff

Post by Biff » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:50 pm

. . .
Last edited by Biff on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erik

Post by Erik » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:17 pm

Just a few minutes ago, I went down and tested my water. It tasted great and was quite clear. I did find out my bung (pump) was ruined and will clearly need to buy a new one.

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:57 pm

Boy, I sure wish I lived in Arizona-http://www.arizonabarrels.com/55_gallon ... drums.html

$20 each for brand new food grade drums? Sheesh. I'm lucky if I can find them for $50 each here, used....
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:29 pm

DON'T TREAD ON ME wrote:Boy, I sure wish I lived in Arizona-http://www.arizonabarrels.com/55_gallon ... drums.html

$20 each for brand new food grade drums? Sheesh. I'm lucky if I can find them for $50 each here, used....
They are used drums , but he is the guy I got mine from and he always knows what food was in them before. A good deal for folks in the area.
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

supraneurotoxin

Post by supraneurotoxin » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:49 pm

man, you guys got it rough. :lol:

I can get these for 2 dollars a piece around here. :mrgreen:

KeeblerNinjaClan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness

Post by KeeblerNinjaClan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:45 am

DON'T TREAD ON ME wrote:Boy, I sure wish I lived in Arizona-http://www.arizonabarrels.com/55_gallon ... drums.html

:shock: Goddammit, why didn't you post that when I was still living in Arizona :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Where's YT? She needs to buy these.
Guns, Gear and Guy stuff
JibbaJabba wrote:Bottom line - you don't want stupid shit happening to you, don't do stupid shit in stupid places at a stupid time.

PureHavok

Post by PureHavok » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:41 am

I have a quick question for this.

For the longest time, my sufficiently old fashioned russian grandmother has been using vodka for, well everything. But one of those was spritzing her clothes with it so it kills any mold on it. It even makes the clothes look brighter and nicer. Now that im using this, plus seeing this thread. I have to wonder. Would a high proof vodka be able to replace the bleach you feel necessary to put in, or am I missing a seperate point for the bleach besides to prevent it from becoming a stacrid moldy soup. I only ask since I know plenty of people who are uncomfortable putting any amount of chemical in their body, no matter how small.

Also, I was wondering if there was a 'Uses for vodka' thread somewhere in the post graveyard. Im kinda hoping to corner that market.
There are three kinds of people.
1. People who Make things happen...
2. People who Watch things happen...
3. People who say "What the f*** just happened?"

Lucretius
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero stuff

Post by Lucretius » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:48 am

PureHavok wrote:I only ask since I know plenty of people who are uncomfortable putting any amount of chemical in their body, no matter how small.
Your friends, I assume, are dead? :?

Since ethanol is a "chemical", as well as every nutrient, they chose to starve to death rather than consume the evil bonding of atoms named molecules?

[/rant]

No, ethanol doesn't equal the chlorine in bleach in water sanitation. Use bleach or die.... :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I used to have a shrink. He killed himself.

MT1
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, I am Legend - any and all pre-post apocalyptic movies, A boy and his dog, road warrior, etc

Post by MT1 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:39 am

I have one of these behind my pump house...

2500 gallons of water that is on constant cycle so it's always fresh, in the pump house there's air pressurized tanks that in a power outage will keep up the water pressure for quite a while, after that gravity feed works till it's almost empty.

I would love to have some of those 55 gal. drums in the house as backup, but having a basement in CA is pretty rare - I've always been envious of those with nice basements.

cabbagerun

Post by cabbagerun » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:21 pm

Ok so i am trying to go the easy way. I wanted to fill 2 liter bottles and store those but, I don't drink soda so I ask my neighbor if I can have his. He says sure when he puts out the recycling bins, just grab what I want.

Great!

Free water containers. What he failed to mention to me is he dips and uses his 2 liters as a spittoon.

Ewwwww........ :shock:

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:10 pm

MT1 wrote:I have one of these behind my pump house...
Would you mind sharing?
Brand, cost, install notes, configuration, etc?
Since it is behind the pump house, I'm assuming it is pressure fed to the top, air bled and supplying from the bottom?
What happens when the pumps die? Again, assuming static head pressure takes over and things are OK until the levels drop?
Any check valves to keep from bleeding back?
Thanks!
ZSC:019 Member
Former ZSC-005 Chapter Vice Overlord and Potentate of the Northern Alliance for ZSC:005 - Western Washington Chapter (Founding 10), Activities Chair (by royal proclamation), "LIFER".

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:38 pm

MT1 wrote:I have one of these behind my pump house...

2500 gallons of water that is on constant cycle so it's always fresh, in the pump house there's air pressurized tanks that in a power outage will keep up the water pressure for quite a while, after that gravity feed works till it's almost empty.

I would love to have some of those 55 gal. drums in the house as backup, but having a basement in CA is pretty rare - I've always been envious of those with nice basements.
I plan on doing something similar only with rainwater collection and a cistern about half that size... something like this:

or this:

Hopefully the cost wont be too much... use it for my garden and keep the flow going, Ill still have to purify the water before consumption but at least I wont be scouting for water in a bug-in situation.
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

Erik

Post by Erik » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:07 pm

*bump*

I have not changed the water. It is now nearly two and a half years old. Today, I tasted the water. Tastes just fine. The chlorine really did the trick. I think I will switch the water out when it warms up, just to be on the cautious side.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”