STUPID easy pickled watermelon rinds

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Trioxin
ZS Member
ZS Member

STUPID easy pickled watermelon rinds

Post by Trioxin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:06 pm

I don't know about you guys, but summer means watermelon to me. I absolutely LOVE them. I haven't gotten to the point (yet) were I can grow them myself, so I buy a $5 melon at the store like everyone else. The only problem is when I'm done knocking out a melon; I have a shit load of material left over in the form of the rind. Of course I can throw it in my compost and be rid of it, but why throw away edibles when you don't have to. My pop is always talking about pickled watermelon rinds, so I decided to make his advice and make some. They came out great. They are positively delicious and STUPID easy to make. Here is how I made them.

I peeled the rind first. I just used a veggie peeler for this. Just peeled off al the green stuff.

I sliced them up into pieces that would fit into a quart jar. I rinsed them with cold water and shoved them in the jars.
BTW I just bought a dozen of these canning jars at the megloMart for $8.
I cleaned the rim of the jars off really well so the seal would take. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN.
I then took a saucepan, mixed up a water/vinegar solution, and added a shit load of sugar and some salt.
I didn't have a recipe, but you could EASILY find one.
Once the solution was really hot, I poured the juice in the jars and filled them about an inch from the top of the jar.

The recipe I found on the web said to boil for 15 minutes to seal. I did that in a big stockpot I had.
15 minutes, no cheating.

After the 15 minutes, I lifted the jars out, put them on a towel and let sit for 24 hours to cool.
In the morning I checked the seal. Looked great. I put them under the sink for future eating.
After a week I had to crack one open to taste them. They are f*ckin great! I love the spicy stuff, so
I made a few jars with Serrano peppers added, just threw them in the jars with the rinds. They were HOT and TASTEY.

If you have been thinking about doing some pickling, DO IT. It is way easy and yields a great product.
I have since made pickles using the very same technique. I made dill, sweet, sweet hot, pickled hot onions with raisins
(sound gross, but with a cold beer...holy shit) and I plan on pickling more as the garden spits forth its bounty.

You gotta try this.
You Are Not Free.
FYI: the 7.4 trillion dollars used to bail out Wall Street could give $23,000 to EVERY man, woman, and child in the US.
Slowly moving toward my 666th post. YEAH!!

zephyrkyuubi
Favorite Zombie Movies: um all of them, except house of the dead 2.I love ROTLD, DOTD, RE, 28 days later, shaun of the dead, evil dead, army of darkness. How could I forget Planet Terror

Re: STUPID easy pickled watermelon rinds

Post by zephyrkyuubi » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:28 pm

that looks amazingly delicious!
Now i just need to learn how to pickle things.
“Good government is no substitute for self-government”~ Mahatma Ghandi

Jaz

Post by Jaz » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:31 pm

That looks great, i'll have to try it one of these days :D

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:15 pm

Whats the consistency like? Similar to a firm canteloupe?
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

resurgam
Favorite Zombie Movies: I dont do "scary movies." I'm paranoid enough just from watching the news.

Post by resurgam » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:16 pm

Wow, thanks... my melon patch is putting on Watermelons faster than I can pick them right now and that's definitely something I should be doing. Thanks again!

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:06 pm

resurgam wrote:Wow, thanks... my melon patch is putting on Watermelons faster than I can pick them right now and that's definitely something I should be doing. Thanks again!
Watermelon preserves are pretty good as well.

LittleTeapot
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by LittleTeapot » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:14 am

Very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to post this.
Insert Witty Signature Here

>>> Join Zombie Squad

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:47 am

i am gona make watermelon rind preserves first, then pickled ill try. im a fan of spicy foods so ill try the spicy one.

good post worth the read
Just keep livin

NapTime

Post by NapTime » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:24 am

Cool post!

My friend let me try his (store bought) pickled asparagus and pickled green beans. They were pretty nice, and mostly just tasted like pickles, so I supposed you could pickle most anything, but I never guessed you could pickle rinds. This is awesome.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:12 pm

I never thought the rinds were edible. Neat post :)

stillborn

Post by stillborn » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:02 pm

Ok man, curiosity got the best of me here. I tried my hand at pickling here. I did some pickled watermelon rinds, and some pickled eggs. I have never tried either and I am almost positive that I wont like either... but just wanted to see if I could do it. Anyway.. Ill let you know in a few weeks I guess.

mantis

Post by mantis » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:26 pm

I too am a watermelon fiend and I could probably amass enough rinds to make quite a few jars full in no time at all. I'll have to give it a shot. :D
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

airexurb

Post by airexurb » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:39 pm

stillborn wrote:Ok man, curiosity got the best of me here. I tried my hand at pickling here. I did some pickled watermelon rinds, and some pickled eggs. I have never tried either and I am almost positive that I wont like either... but just wanted to see if I could do it. Anyway.. Ill let you know in a few weeks I guess.
me too. I'm gonna have to try it, just to see if it works.
ista_hota wrote:"Hey Jim can I borrow your trailer?"
"No I need it tomorrow."
"Well, I'm afraid I'm going to have to eat your penis then."

stillborn

Post by stillborn » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:39 pm

Well I used one of those small watermelons that are round. It had enough rind to fill one quart mason jar. So you get more than you think out of it.

Resolute
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Resolute » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:10 pm

I also had no clue you could pickle watermelon rind... and Kathy, I never even thought of watermelon preserves! They don't have too much water to make preserves?

Is anyone here allergic to watermelon? I'm wondering if the boiling in the canning process changes some of the proteins in the fruit so my mouth won't itch when I eat it.

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:49 pm

I don't really care for watermelons themselves, but someday I ought to try this. Now where is the recipe for the Watermelon Wine? :mrgreen:
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:09 pm

resurgam wrote:Wow, thanks... my melon patch is putting on Watermelons faster than I can pick them right now and that's definitely something I should be doing. Thanks again!
Another thing to do if you can't keep up with eating them is to dry/dehydrate the watermelon, red portion only, cut into pie slice shapes about 1/2 inch thick. You'll get best results with a commercial dehydrator, but you could do it in the sun with a solar dehydrator as well.

It comes out slightly chewy like a soft candy and is sweeter due to the concentration of the sugars. Store in a zip bag in the fridge or vac-seal and freeze them.

Miles

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:03 am

Not enough to pickle, or have more than you need? Dice it up and put in the freezer. Good for mock water chestnuts in stir fry.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

tacberry
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
Night of the Living Dead

Post by tacberry » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:23 pm

Here's a good pickeling link:

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalo ... pnw355.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ok ... But it's gon'na hurt.

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:30 am

I just made some watermelon preserves. Here's the recipe I used:

2 pounds watermelon
3 cups white sugar
3 lemons - rinsed, sliced and seeded

Remove the green rind of the melon, and dice the white part into small cubes, leaving the red flesh mostly intact. Remove seeds. In a heavy stockpot, combine 4 cups of the prepared watermelon, sugar and lemons. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and let the mixture boil slowly for 2 hours (more or less depending on water content of fruit), stirring occasionally. The temperature of the mixture should be at 220 degrees F (105 degrees C) so the jam will set. Transfer the preserves to hot sterile jars, and seal. Check the seals after a few hours. Process any unsealed jars in a water bath. Refrigerate preserves after seal is broken.

ZMace
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by ZMace » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:34 pm

I'm going to have to try this, both preserves and pickles.
zXzGrifterzXz wrote: "An Armed Society is a polite society, unless they are talking on the Internet......then they are total bastards to each other."

vyadmirer
Favorite Zombie Movies: ??????

Post by vyadmirer » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:06 pm

This is probably why I'll die in the PAW. No pickled watermelon rinds for me.
I took the consolation prize in Ranter's free CFP-90 thread. He sent me a pack he wouldn't sell (it was a little dusty) for shipping only. Great guy!

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”