We went looking for some white rice today and found...

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

URBAN ASSAULT

We went looking for some white rice today and found...

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:04 am

almost NOTHING! I have been reading about how a few different parts of the nation are experiencing a serious downturn of rice supplies, so we went looking for some today here in Oregon because we had less than 10 pounds worth on hand.

I had thought that this was probably just an isolated issue that was overblown by the media in the bigger cities, and it wouldn't necessarily hit here in quiet little Oregon. Yeah, right.:cry:

We stopped at Costco first because that is were we normally stock up on staples. The pallets in the rice area were bare. No mid-grain white rice at all, and only a couple 20-pound bags of Basmati.

This ain't good.:shock:

When I asked at store guy passing by about when they were going to get some more, he just shrugged his shoulders and said I was only the fifteenth person to ask that question TODAY.

Then we hit another store called Cash & Carry.

Same story, and the only rice they had was two bags of friggin' Uncle Ben's crap.:x

This wasn't looking too good, so we decided it might be prudent to load up on some other staples while we were there.

We bought 40 pounds of sugar, 60 pounds of pinto beans, 40 pounds of flour, two gallons of soy sauce, and five gallons of cooking oil. Tossed in a couple of cases of Sobe drink to round it out.

The store had plenty of all of the above items on hand, but the store lady did say that people seemed to be buying more of everything than they normally did.

She also said that they had received many calls and in-person requests about when more white rice was coming in and she was told by management to try to allay customers fears by saying that more rice was expected in a few days, but the truth was that they didn't know when they would be getting more.

She also said that in the last 3-4 weeks that as soon as a pallet of rice had arrived it had been sold off very quickly. We left there, and on a whim tried an Asian market we occasionally shop at.

Eureka! We didn't see any rice on the shelf but when we asked the store owner if she had any in the back, she very nicely gave us her last five 20-pound bags because she remembered us from earlier purchases. She also said that she had been looking for rice herself around town to buy and re-sell in her store, and that it was bone-dry.

We were damn lucky to find what rice that we did get today, and I feel a bit more comfortable now that I have some sitting in my pantry.

The big question though is there an ACTUAL nation-wide shortage on rice, or is this mostly fueled by consumer fears? Whatever the case, whether it is a self-fulfilling problem fueled by consumer panic or a long-term issue we are going to see more of, and also spreading to other staples eventually, I had a very hard time find the food supplies I needed today.

We are better off than many people in this country because we had the gasoline to make the several trips to try to find the rice and other food, and the substantial cash needed to buy it all once found.

What about the folks who are teetering on the financial edge already, or who can't afford the fuel to track down the food supplies they need?

I can definitely see how this could snowball into a much bigger problem nation-wide, and also in the world itself.

I personally didn't want to add to the existing problem by grabbing up what little rice I found today, but I would rather be the person who is able able to feed my family easily, than the guy who is staring at an empty pantry and wondering what to do.

My advice after what I saw today? Get thee hence to yon favorite store, and buy what foods you can afford NOW... because it might not be there tomorrow.:(

-urban
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

herbalpagan

Re: We went looking for some white rice today and found...

Post by herbalpagan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:38 am

URBAN ASSAULT wrote:
The big question though is there an ACTUAL nation-wide shortage on rice, or is this mostly fueled by consumer fears? Whatever the case, whether it is a self-fulfilling problem fueled by consumer panic or a long-term issue we are going to see more of, and also spreading to other staples eventually, I had a very hard time find the food supplies I needed today.

I can definitely see how this could snowball into a much bigger problem nation-wide, and also in the world itself.

-urban
That, indeed, is the big question! Has the media paniced people so they are creating this problem themselves or is there indeed a shortage? I tend to think that it might be a bit of both. People now, will really start to panic and stock up on stuff and it will get worse. I do believe that there is some shortages due to farmers switching over to growing crops that can be converted into fuel rather than food. I'm just glad that I am growing a lot of our food, but I can't grow sugar and flour, so I'll be adding to my stockpile!
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/shtfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stitches

Post by Stitches » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:20 am

... i just had a large amount of rice pilof last night for dinner. I feel a little guilty :shock:

had no idea that large of a shortage was going on. suppose i should stock up a little more myself.

what other foods can you guys recommend to me that are as staple as rice in terms of survivalism? i'm guessing canned goods, pasta, etc, but everyone on here always seems to know cool original and helpful ideas.
Move quickly in life
or you will trudge slowly to death.
MS8725 wrote:I will start to worry when I can't get my Kraft Deluxe fix. :D

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:26 am

I like stocking rice and peanut butter and raisins and peanuts and canned beans and canned meat products (chicken, tuna, salmon, sardines, ham) and canned ravioli-type-stuff and pep-sticks...I look for these and other long-term storables every time I go shopping, picking up whatever is on sale at the time of my shopping trip...

Don't bother stocking/storing stuff that you don't like...life when TSHTF will be tough enough without gagging down crap you hate to eat...

nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Tonto

Post by Tonto » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:35 am

I say it's fueled by the media and their coverage of the "food shortage coming" is sure helping the buyouts of rice and such... Just look back at Y2k, when did people/Zombies start buying things? When the media was always doing a piece on Y2k 'collapse'.

In certain areas, people are going to panic more, keep alert, keep aware, and keep ahead of the zombie horde.

In my AO - no shortage of rices, flour, etc at all. It's just a blip on the evening news... for now.
CERT member, former OHMR member (2001-2005), amateur IDPA shooter and reader of Blogs & Prep forums. Yes, I am a legend in my own mind and I'm emailing this from the secret shadow goverment bunker located beneath Walmart.

Stitches

Post by Stitches » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:39 am

nfa wrote:...canned beans and canned meat products (chicken, tuna, salmon, sardines, ham...
what about various jerkies? jerky keeps for a long time does it not? i really like jerky and especially would if i was surviving disaster (and were most likely starving) and i think jerky, all the way back to native americans, is a genious idea, a great food for travel, staying edible, staying dry, etc.

am i wrong here? any thoughts?
Move quickly in life

Iron

Post by Iron » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:43 am

Only problem with jerky is it's expensive off the shelf. Best way to put up dried meat is to make your own. Being time/labor intensive a lot of people just go for what's easy to pick up prepared.

-Iron
CANNIBALS. Ever see a slime drive a car? These vermin fit the bill.
Poorly armed and led, they are easily dispatched.

Shmerlin

Post by Shmerlin » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:49 am

I went to the local grocery store sunday, and they had rice on sale. No shortages or so it seems in my area.
Dinner Adventures, My restuarant review blog.

MS8725

Post by MS8725 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:53 am

I will start to worry when I can't get my Kraft Deluxe fix. :D
“The weight of this sad time we must obey;
Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say."-Edgar, King Lear

OhioMe

Post by OhioMe » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:21 am

Shmerlin wrote:I went to the local grocery store sunday, and they had rice on sale. No shortages or so it seems in my area.
+1.

Do I think there is a shortage? Yes, I do. Do I think it is a supply shortage? Yes, partially. Do I think it is also media driven? Yes, partially.

Now if the media said that we were running out of prunes, strychnine, and fluffy bunnies; I bet those would start to get bought up by people that never or seldom previously bought, prunes, strychnine, or rabbits.
German Serial Killer Who Hacks Heads Off Rabbits Uses Google Earth to Find Victims
DavePAL84 wrote:If you guys bring an old t-shirt or two each it would also be beneficial (maybe something you don't mind being perforated with bullets and then thrown out?)
BeerandGuns wrote:.25 ACP. It took down Zombie Reaper and he's a bad a** motherf****r

ArtfulDodger

Post by ArtfulDodger » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:47 am

Stitches wrote: what other foods can you guys recommend to me that are as staple as rice in terms of survivalism? i'm guessing canned goods, pasta, etc, but everyone on here always seems to know cool original and helpful ideas.
This is some of what I keep on-hand:

starches/grains: rice, pasta (many shapes), cous cous, quinoa, millet, grits, oatmeal, rice noodles, bean thread, ramen.

canned beans (black, garbanzo, pinto, kidney), and dried (lentils, peas (whole and split), mung, adzuki)

peanutbutter

canned tomatoes (diced, paste, juice, crushed)

canned fish (tuna, salmon, oysters, sardines, anchovies)

canned fruit (pineapple, mandarin oranges, pears, peaches)

canned veggies (corn, peas, green beans)

dried veggies (mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli, dulse, nori and soup greens, so far)

TVP, nutritional yeast and marmite

Salt, pepper, soy sauce, mustard, vinegars, lots of spices.

I'm sure there is a bunch I am forgetting, but these are our basics. I've been meaning to pick up a few tubs of vegetable shortening. Liquid oils go rancid very quickly in my climate, so I don't keep more on-hand than I could use in a couple of months.

Stitches

Post by Stitches » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:00 am

party at your house on z-day :lol:

thanks for the in depth reply, i'm compiling a list of things i need from the store to start my stockpile. i think it will feel good to actually start having something to support me. helped a lot
Move quickly in life

Sergeant Shultz

Post by Sergeant Shultz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:11 am

Shmerlin wrote:I went to the local grocery store sunday, and they had rice on sale. No shortages or so it seems in my area.
Same here (DC metro suburbs). I'd like to see a regional breakdown of what people are seeing with rice prices.

I know that locally:

- A Chinese grocery near my office has raised the price of their rice ~ 25%, but has no shortage. Sources, brands, and economies of scale probably account for this with this particular grocer.

- The chain grocery near my house has plenty of rice and there hans't been a price increase in the "normal" rice section. In the Asian food section, I know that the prices are the same as they were a month ago. In fact, Thai Jasmine rice was on special last week so I picked up 20 lbs of it.

My store is funny that way - there are a handful of goods that are found in the "normal" aisles as well as the Asian section. Different brands, but the same type of product (sea salt, fish sauce, vinegars, shoyu, oils, rice). But the Asian section is always cheaper. Actually there are even two Asian sections: one in the gourmet section up front and the better tasting, cheaper stuff in back lumped in with Indo-Pak and Mexican goods. Odd, but it pays to shop around, even in the same store!

OhioMe: I think you hit it on the head. And to an extent, I think it's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:27 am

nfa wrote:
Don't bother stocking/storing stuff that you don't like...life when TSHTF will be tough enough without gagging down crap you hate to eat...

nfa

Ain't that the truth. When I read about people buying 200lbs of rice and nothing else, I can't help but imagine them putting a gun to their heads 8 weeks in. You never read about anyone stocking up on 50lbs of spaghetti and sauce... Or 50lbs of Reese Puffs cereal... or 50lbs of cookie dough... Ok, I'm getting a little carried away now. :)
"Klenzer, you have to be one of the only guys I know of that goes to the Arctic and somehow manages to get lapdances." - redhotkat
Vicarious_Lee wrote:This guide is created to help you get a spoon and eat my ass:
First: Get a spoon.
Second: Eat my ass.

FelixArchon

Post by FelixArchon » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:45 am

the_klenzer wrote:
nfa wrote:

nfa

Ain't that the truth. When I read about people buying 200lbs of rice and nothing else, I can't help but imagine them putting a gun to their heads 8 weeks in. You never read about anyone stocking up on 50lbs of spaghetti and sauce... Or 50lbs of Reese Puffs cereal... or 50lbs of cookie dough... Ok, I'm getting a little carried away now. :)
The largest commonly available cookie dough I've found is only a one-gallon jug. And it only keeps for about a month.

I know these things. :D

SkullGirl

Post by SkullGirl » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:22 pm

Yeah this last week we hardly had any rice at work (Costco). People are buying it up like crazy.

The other problem we have had lately and this is totally unrelated, but our banana suppliers have been unable to send us bananas. apparently there was some massive flooding in those areas and crops were destroyed.
- Bacon is like a little hug from GOD

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:42 pm

FelixArchon wrote:
The largest commonly available cookie dough I've found is only a one-gallon jug. And it only keeps for about a month.
In your house maybe... in mine it would last 3 days... :D
"Klenzer, you have to be one of the only guys I know of that goes to the Arctic and somehow manages to get lapdances." - redhotkat
Vicarious_Lee wrote:This guide is created to help you get a spoon and eat my ass:
First: Get a spoon.
Second: Eat my ass.

PHMadness
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by PHMadness » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:49 pm

the_klenzer wrote:You never read about anyone stocking up on 50lbs of spaghetti and sauce...
Lets just say I'll be smelling like garlic for months into the PAW. 8)

Stitches

Post by Stitches » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:16 pm

COOKIE DOUGH FTW :lol:

good point though about no variety, if you really think about it, the best bet would be the thousands of assorted canned goods, i mean they're sealed, why are we even all that worried about rice when it expires? cans go forever.
:idea:
Move quickly in life

ArtfulDodger

Post by ArtfulDodger » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:22 pm

Stitches wrote:COOKIE DOUGH FTW :lol:

good point though about no variety, if you really think about it, the best bet would be the thousands of assorted canned goods, i mean they're sealed, why are we even all that worried about rice when it expires? cans go forever.
:idea:
Cans have disadvantages. Often, canned food is extremely high in sodium. Many canned foods are more expensive than their dried or home prepped counterparts (think canned beans versus dry, or canned soup versus homemade from pantry ingredients). They're heavy and bulky to carry if you need to bug out, and they can take a lot of space. Also, you need a good balance in your diet between carbs, protein and fats, and I really can't think of a lot of good complex carb sources in cans.

You get a lot of servings of rice for the space that it takes.

You have the right idea with diversifying, but, mixing dried & canned goods gives you a more well-rounded selection.

ZScott

Post by ZScott » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:25 pm

SkullGirl wrote:Yeah this last week we hardly had any rice at work (Costco). People are buying it up like crazy.
Its probably because some one made a news report and everyone is panic buying. In effect adding to the shortage.

When will they ever learn. :roll:
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.
Just Trying to Pass on some Wisdom.
Anyone who thinks any sort of PAW will be glamorous, fun, or exciting... has dramatic reality issues.

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:01 pm

ArtfulDodger wrote: and I really can't think of a lot of good complex carb sources in cans.
Potatoes? There are canned Potatoes aren't there? Chickpeas? Are they a carb?

And I admit I am buying bags of rice, but I'm buying piles of all sort of foods, I'm still building up my stores.

I see nothing wrong with buying. Even panic buyers, fine, let them buy, puts money into the economy.

Me, I'm a hoarder by nature. Mmmmm....hoards.
ImageImage

19kilo

Post by 19kilo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:05 pm

parrothead.madness wrote:
the_klenzer wrote:You never read about anyone stocking up on 50lbs of spaghetti and sauce...
Lets just say I'll be smelling like garlic for months into the PAW. 8)
Word. besides, I like the canned pasta sauce the best.

The water gets hotter...the frog keeps swimming

ArtfulDodger

Post by ArtfulDodger » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:45 pm

Jvandenhaus wrote:
ArtfulDodger wrote: and I really can't think of a lot of good complex carb sources in cans.
Potatoes? There are canned Potatoes aren't there? Chickpeas? Are they a carb?
Chickpeas are a pretty good source of carbohydrates.

I'm not a fan of canned potatoes, or canned pasta for that matter. Too expensive, and I don't like the way they taste.

If you're not quite the confirmed cheapskate that I am, though, and the flavor appeals to you, they are definitely among the options.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”