Outdoor Gasoline Storage

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Rock2Fox

Outdoor Gasoline Storage

Post by Rock2Fox » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:28 pm

I realize this is not in-and-of itself a new topic, but I wanted some thoughts on my current fuel situation. I used to keep this fuel inside the garage, until I figured out that it voided my insurance. At which point, I purchased this little shed and moved it all outside.

The fuel (reg. unleaded) has been stabilized, and there is some kerosene (1L bottles) and other POL products in the milk crate. The shed is about 15 feet from the nearest wall of the house (that is the fence line, or I would have it further).

Is it okay to store fuel outside in this manner? After the last rain there was some moisture inside the shed; and I know that moisture and gasoline are a bad combination. The last pic shows the gap at the bottom of the doors.

Any thoughts / comments are appreciated.

What effect will humidity and ambient moisture have on the gas?

Any dangers present that anyone can think of? Thank you for the advice.

"The bombing begins in five minutes." -- Ronald Reagan

PineVole

Post by PineVole » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:03 pm

Well I'm not an expert on the subject but from what I've read heat destroys gasoline. I would try to rotate your gas supply as much as possible.

I thought this post about gas containers was very informative.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:05 pm

I think your storage shed is good idea form a safety and storage perspective.

If your gas jugs are properly sealed there will be slight pressure buildup. You can check this by loosening the cap see if there is a "hiss" of gas pressure being released. A pressurized can inside a POL storage container is not going to get rain water in it. It may get condensation but not rain. The only way to eliminate a chance of condensation is to inject an inert gas into the can to displace the oxygen. The other way to fight condensation is to always keep a full tank. However the fill line on your jugs still allows air space.

Personally I believe that any condensation would be no worse than condensation forming in your car gas tank. Nominal at best.

However if you are concerned you can get a product which makes water in gasoline more digestible to a gas engine. Boaters use this product but generally in large fuel tanks laid up in storage.

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/178450086.htm

Though to repeat myself I do not think you have a problem. I have left fuel tanks in the rain unprotected many times without any significant issues.

You can get additives that

southalabama

Post by southalabama » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:42 pm

I'd make sure the shed was anchored down really well.

Rock2Fox

Post by Rock2Fox » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:02 am

I thought about putting some cinder blocks in it, but then decided that at ~8lbs./ gallon (x) 35 gallons = 280lbs. would be enough to keep if from shifting.

I guess an easy fix would be to use some salvaged cable/ straps and just anchor over the top to some stakes/ rebar in the ground. It does get fairly windy here.
Last edited by Rock2Fox on Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The bombing begins in five minutes." -- Ronald Reagan

Raydarkhorse

Post by Raydarkhorse » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:02 am

If the gap at the bottom is a problem for you, find some stiff rubber or plastic and attach it to the iside (or outside) to make a sweep.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”