2.5 gallon / decaliter stackable storage containers

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

2.5 gallon / decaliter stackable storage containers

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:53 am

I bought 20 of these, many years ago. I've mentioned them and many people have wanted info, but I hadn't been able to find there to get them.

Anyway, found the link today via http://www.survivalblog.com. These are very durable, I've used them for water, rice, and beans, and they stack up to about 4 tall without getting too unstable. You could get them taller with a bit of support. And, at 2.5 gallons, even full of water they aren't as hard to carry around as 5 gallon pails. They have added a 5 gallon version, and have quantity discounts.

Linky
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:02 am

My local fish store has 5gal ones they sell along with RO water for fresh and mixed salt RO for marine aquariums. I get a discount, so I bought 4 of them, and rotate the water through my 30gal freshwater about once every two months.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Re: 2.5 gallon / decaliter stackable storage containers

Post by Keith B » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:06 pm

I really like the idea of stacking storage. Regardless of the fact that these were designed for water, they should storage dry goods just fine. I also think that they will take less room then the five gallon buckets that I use.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

ferretrodeo

Post by ferretrodeo » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:02 pm

Cool. I've been using empty 2L soda bottles. I would pick up the plastic carry thing they were in so I would have a way of stacking them. It was (is) a good, cheap way of doing it but there is a lot of dead space. I am trying to upgrade and this looks like it might be what I need.....
That which does not kill us makes us stronger, that which does kill us makes us dinner.

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:57 pm

Those look like a larger version of the five liter vinegar jugs I recycle from work.
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

Blast
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Girl With the Gifts

Post by Blast » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:22 pm

I really like these 2.5 gal "Aqua-Pak containers. I got mine from Academy for a lot cheap than the Amazon price. They are heavy-gauge blue plastic, shaped to stack, and my wife can move them around much easier than the 7-gallon containers.

-Blast

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:34 pm

These are some pretty cool containers- I'm likin' 'em! :D

Water is the one deficient point in my storage pantry- I try to buy 2 cases of bottled water when we need only one, but my fiance just can't stand the taste of "faucet water", and keeping her from wiping out what I have on hand before getting more is tough. I'm hiding water from her now! :lol:

The larger containers would be great- I could fill them through a filter for storage, and they are too big for her to just 'grab and guzzle' when she wants more. there's the extra advantage of limiting wasted space, too, which I think we can all appreciate. My pantry is decent sized, but still, I want to maximize my usage of it.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”