My goodie bag.
I have posted what is carried in my BOB for basic small gear items. But what do I really carry when away from home and totally dependent on the stuff in my pack? Sure there are sleeping bags and pads. Stoves and shelters but what of those all important little items? Here is my goodie bag. The basic small items that have proven useful over the years. This is kept in a small Granite gear stuff sack
1. Multi tool. However sometimes just a small Tinker SAK.
2. Fire starting kit. Often 2-3 lighters, 2 packs of cheap matches made from India. 10-20 cotton balls socked in Vaseline.
3. Strike force fire steel. This one modified with a longer bright yellow cord for easier striking and higher visibility.
4. Chapstick. Have one in my FAK but so much easier to carry and use the one in my bag. Sometimes the cottonballs/Vaseline is used for a chapstick. I just don't like to go into the little FAK for things like this.
5. Small basic compass.
6. 50 feet of 550 paracord that has been cut and retied multiple times.
7. Headlight lamp that is being worn so not in the photo. Often extra batteries are inside the sack. I have 3 headlight lamps. Things like this are too easy to miss if moving around from pack to pack.
8. Whistle. Never needed it but they are cheap so every pack gets one.
9. Water tabs. I Have a filter and like to melt and boil up snow in winter but heck never know.
10. Travel tooth brush, dental floss and travel size tooth paste.
11. 4 oz of camp soap.
12. Bandanna. So many uses for all seasons.
There are items that I have but just don’t take. Things like my two heat sheets/signal mirrors are inside other packs. Sure I have 3 or 4 Mylar blankets around but unless I am planning on day hikes for hunting/fishing or just plain old day rambling it just doesn’t make the cut. I guess this is a case of reality vs. preparedness.