SVX's PSK (updated first post)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

SilentVectorX

SVX's PSK (updated first post)

Post by SilentVectorX » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:45 pm

PSK MK3 (pics below)
Contents
2x QuikClot 1st Response ACS (YES I'm trained)
Assorted Bandaids under lid
2-person AMK HeatSheet
LMF ARMY Firesteel
2" x 4yd Kerlix
1x Nitrile glove
10ft 100mph tape
Aquamira Frontier PRO filter
20ft Bobbin of Fishing Line
Small Fishing Jig
Green LED lightstick, cutdown to 2"
0.5oz Handsanitizer
30x Iodine tabs
30x Katadyn Chlorine Dioxide tabs
8x 200mg Ibuprofen individual packs
4x 500mg Aspirin individual packs
4x 25mg Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) individual packs
AMK Rescue Howler (Fox 40 Micro whistle)
P38 can opener
2x 6' Paracord guts
Sail Needle
Sealed Crazy Glue tube
8x Petro-cotton Firestarters
6' Aluminum Foil

Supplementary EDC
28ft Paracord wristband
Fenix L0D Q4
Leatherman Squirt P4
Crack Lighter
Gerber M06 S30V automatic knife
Leatherman Wave multitool
Suunto X9i GPS wristwatch
Waterproof notepad, pen, pencil, sharpie, and highlighter

Info
Designed for temporary survival in the case of being lost from camp or separated from primary hiking gear in CA desert or NE woodland environments. EDC -able.

Future additions/replacements: oven bag, foam earplugs, 4x 3FT 50LB fishing leaders/snares, 12" diamond-impregnated wiresaw, #00 & #4 Mepps Aglia plain spoon lure, 20ft Braided fishing line, H&H Compressed Gauze, Black Talon nitrile gloves, green laser pointer, Firefly JR strobe, coffee filters, 0.5oz Casteel Soap, Antibiotic gel packets, 20mm grade AAA compass.

----------- P R E V I O U S * V E R S I O N S * B E L O W -----------

PSK MK2 (pic below)

2-person Heatsheet (shelter/signaling)
Signal mirror (signaling)
Paracord (rigging)
Magnesium firestarter (fire)
Wire saw (fire/shelter)
Hand Sanitizer (sanitation/fire)(moved to EDC)
3ft aluminum foil (cooking/water treatment)
24-oz MRE beverage bag (water)
Leatherman Charge xTi, subdued

Added:
Windstorm 94Db whistle
Button compass
Mini-BIC lighter
MRE water-resistant matches
6x Butterfly sutures
2x Bandaids
12x 200mg Ibuprofen
6x 2mg Imodium
6x Benadryl
2x 500mg Tylenol
1x Pack Bactine antibacterial
8FT of 100mph tape (not shown)
Removed hand sanitizer (moved to EDC pocket)
Fishing Lure+hook
A packet of Starkist tuna

EDC:
Dogtags w/ red Inova microlight & Gerber Ridge
Inova X5 on belt

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PSK MK1 (pic below)

PSK packed up (pic below)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feedback always greatly appreciated.
Last edited by SilentVectorX on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Ovationman

Post by Ovationman » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:19 pm

Good for what it is I would assume that you have a bigger bag and by the look of it a combat rig.

One thing to add you should have some way of purifing water.

tireiron

Post by tireiron » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:11 pm

Throw a three-pack of Bic lighters in there.

And a little bottle of Potable Aqua tabs.

g30ff

Post by g30ff » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:11 pm

Nice kit. The nice thing about small easy to carry kits like this is that you're actually pretty likely to have it on you if things ever go bad. If it were me, I'd add some MicroPur tablets, a whistle, a button compass and maybe a Bic for ease of use. But even without all that, what you've got right there is great.
Jeriah wrote:Drop me in the woods with no lighter and no knife, and I'll probably be dead within a week.

Drop me in the woods with a lighter and a knife, and I'll walk out, ten years later, in a bearskin cloak, with a naked Darryl Hannah clinging to my rippling physique for protection.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:53 pm

What do you mean you should whip your paracord to save space? Whipping keeps line from unraveling, and its pretty damn hard to put a good whipping on something as small as paracord, not to mention that it doesn't save space at all.

I see you've already got it in a loose daisy chain.. perhaps you mean coil it to save space?
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:56 pm

Things I'd add:

-Microput tabs, +1
-A Bic (put a zip tie under the plunger)
-Cut the mag block length wise- you won't need THAT much, and it will make space.
-Whistle
-cotton balls or something else to add the hand sanitizer to
-duct tape
-bit of wire, couple of zip ties, some safety pins
-dedicated striker for the mag bar (piece of hacksaw blade is fine, saves your knife)

Dump the wire saw- in my experience they come in two varieties, breaks on the second cut, and breaks on the first. You've got five times the saw in you LM- remember, a smaller saw that actually works cuts more than a bigger saw in little pieces.

Get the mag bar off the mirror, to protect your mirror's finish.

As for the "personal" vs "pocket" thing- in non-US military usage (our allied military, SAR teams, average mook), it generally is considered to be a "pocket" kit. US military nomenclature runs to things like "Kit, Survival, Personal", which is where you get the "personal" thing. I'm inclined to laugh at that, becuase EVERY survival kit is personal if you take it seriously and build it yourself, even if it is so big it isn't mobile any more.
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

SilentVectorX

Post by SilentVectorX » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:50 am

Squirrley; That's as tight as I could get the daisy chain without using forceps, I'm thinking I could save a lot more space if I wound it around my hand, then used a few feet to wrap it tightly sideways, similar to how I was taught to 'whip' a piece of C4 with det-cord in lieu of using a blasting cap. :D

ironraven; heh, I was waiting for your input. Adding a couple things as I type... will update with pics. Also try to find some chlorine tabs in town tomorrow.

And thanks for the suggestions even if I didn't mention you by name.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:06 am

SilentVectorX wrote:Squirrley; That's as tight as I could get the daisy chain without using forceps, I'm thinking I could save a lot more space if I wound it around my hand, then used a few feet to wrap it tightly sideways, similar to how I was taught to 'whip' a piece of C4 with det-cord in lieu of using a blasting cap. :D
Ah, yes that'd be what us (k)nautical people call coiling. I thought you meant whipping, which everyone should do to any larger diameter rope they have. For pcord and the like, you all should be melting the ends with a ligher to keep it from unraveling.

Also,

mmmmmmmmm C4.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Toad704D
Favorite Zombie Movies: Ugh. I do the movies for Zcon every year. It changes so often.

Post by Toad704D » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:03 pm

Not bad. I'm not here for constructive criticism, but I'll be making something like this myself.

WAIT! How about a Snickers or some Tic-Tacs to keep your mind off the suck? Couple of Bandaids or some Kerlix can't hurt, if there's room.
ZSC-001 Chapter Secretary
ZCon Entertainment coordinator
ZCon On-Site security
I survived Zombie Con 2007, and 2008
I survived Wintergheddon 2009
I survived Zombie Con 2009, I won the pistol match too! 8)
I survived Zombie Con '10,'11,'12,'13 (I'm kind of a badass.)

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:35 pm

SilentVectorX wrote:ironraven; heh, I was waiting for your input.
:lol: What can I say, my reputation proceeds me.
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

SilentVectorX

Post by SilentVectorX » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:59 am

There's an updated pic at the very top of the page*

I coiled the cordage (line or rope? eek!) to save space. I forgot to photograph the 100mph tape, but it's there. The Heatsheet is not visible as its in the back slip pocket. Still room for Chlorine tablets, once I get some. I'm thinking of adding at least 20-50. The foil should allow me to boil water, but I know it wouldn't last long. I'll add a packet of QuickClot in lieu of trama pads & Kerlix, there just isnt enough room. That should be enough to keep me alive for a few days if whatever got me lost and separated from my gear, got me injured as well.

Added:
Windstorm 94Db whistle
Button compass
Mini-BIC lighter (wire tied under plunger)
MRE water-resistant matches
4x Butterfly sutures
2x Bandaids
12x 200mg Ibuprofen
6x 2mg Imodium
6x Benadryl
2x 500mg Tylenol
1x Pack Bactine antibacterial
8FT of 100mph tape (not shown)

I moved the hand sanitizer to EDC, and also added a tiny Gerber Ridge knife to EDC. I'm still saving for a medium-size folder. I have a 5" issue Aircrew survival knife, but it's a bit conspicuous for EDC. Also started carrying my Inova X5, though I will replace it with a Fenix P1d this month.

Thanks for the reviews.

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:26 am

Which USAF knife? The old one, or the new one? If the old one, you can do better and you need to be careful- the QA wasn't as high as it is now from some of the contract holders. If it is a copy, like the SpecPlus, then you're probably in better shape; if it is a no name knock off, pray.

In that size range...

Ka-Bar minis (and before too much longer, they're supposed to be producing Beckers), the new Gerber pilots knife, SOG SealPup and FieldPup, Kersaw makes a nice one (can't remember if they call it the "military" or the "boot")- there are a lot of options. Personally, for EDC, if you are looking for smaller but usable, there are a lot of good neck knives out there, and while the Mora's might only be a $12 dollar knife, don't count it out- it is as good or better than a lot of the knives I've seen that cost ten times as much, so long as you don't use it like a pry bar.

SilentVectorX

Post by SilentVectorX » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:17 am

Mine is the one made by Camillus. Its bowie-style, with a curved false edge on top, a sawtooth spine, and a leather wrapped handle.

I want to get a kukri for hiking/BOB use, and a good medium sized blade for EDC. I really want to get a Blackhawk CQD MK1. I like the glass breaker and seatbelt cutter, the plunger-lock automatic opening, and the fact theres a kydex sheath available for fixed-blade type carry (thats the bigest selling point to me). I haven't really been able to find anything else like it.

JRod

Post by JRod » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:53 pm

Here's what I came up with....

2+ unlubricated condoms (water carriers, etc)
P38 Can opener (i <3 these)
An additional battery for the Inova, water-proofed somehow (mine is always turning on without my knowing)
Fish hooks and line? (don't know much about your location)
Snare Wire? (see above)
Bandanna (all around handy)

a lot of these are optional items that I don't think would be totally necessary. It would seem you have the basics covered pretty well now. Since I really can't tell how much room is left in the pouch its hard to say, but could you add a token amount of food and water? A lifeboat packet of water (4.7oz IIRC) would be durable, packable, and wouldn't go bad. Similarly a small powerbar or emergency ration might give you an energy boost if food is hard to come by. If room is limited though its a trade off versus the other items you have.

I'd think twice about about throwing the quikclot in without some sort of bandage. If you have access to a vacuum sealer (I stole my mom's) then you could shrink down the size of a small 2" wide roll of gauze or kerlix to a size that might fit in that little pack.
Charter founder of the Hoff Squad Center for Hoff Appreciation. LLC 2008
kyle wrote:Like OMG... this thread is sooo two years ago.
BethDeath on the PAW w/out razors wrote:There will be hairy people fornicating everywhere. :D

SilentVectorX

Post by SilentVectorX » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:16 pm

JRod wrote:Here's what I came up with....

2+ unlubricated condoms (water carriers, etc)
P38 Can opener (i <3 these)
An additional battery for the Inova, water-proofed somehow (mine is always turning on without my knowing)
Fish hooks and line? (don't know much about your location)
Snare Wire? (see above)
Bandanna (all around handy)
Thanks for the ideas. I've always wondered you you're supposed to fill a condom with water though :?: Once I figure that out, I'll throw in a pair.

P38's are neat, but I've got a neck knife, and multitool. I just can't see the need for it. They're great tools, but it's just a bit too redundant. The file and can opener on the Charge can both strike the firestarter sufficiently hard (I don't need to damage a blade). Though the spoon might be nice to have.

Spare pair of CR2016's... ditto. I'm getting a spare this weekend. It will stay in it's foil package. My Inova has been turning itself on a lot lately, since I started wearing it on my 'tags.

Fish hooks: I don't know much about fishing. I've caught some trout before, but that's with Powerbait at a city lake. I'm all for it, I just need to know what size hooks to get, and any other essentials. The local area does have some places I could fish, and the other places I go hiking should have excellent fishing within a few miles as well. For now, I'll throw in a lure+hook , and assume I'd use an internal strand of the 550 for line.

Snare wire sounds good too... A couple sized for small game should take up negligible space. Where do you find the right wire?

Bandana, ditto. Already added to EDC. My belt has the Inova X5 and bandana shoved into a pistol mag pouch. That gives me a improvised tourniquet, cloudy water filter... hell, might even suffice for a bandage to work with the QC? I'd like to hear one of the ZS Medic's opinions on that. It would only be a short-term, last-ditch emergency measure.

Thanks a ton!

P.S. I know adding food/water is an irresistable idea, but there's definately no room. This isn't my only kit... It's just the last line of defense. I have a purse-sized (RE: Claymore/EOD Utility Pouch) kit, that has a Mountain House Lasagna Pro-pack, an IFAK (basic meds, Kerlix, trauma pads, etc), AMK emergency bivy (the heavier one), a Surefire (and a dozen spare 123's), a bunch of other stuff, and quite a bit of spare room. I haven't posted it because... I'm lazy... :oops: I guess I'll post it tonight... Still a work in progress.

PPS: Will post new pics also.

MarkTBSc

Post by MarkTBSc » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:30 am

Snare wire sounds good too... A couple sized for small game should take up negligible space. Where do you find the right wire?
You've got two options for snare wire. There's Piano/guitar wire, which is nice strong spring steel. The problem is that it'll rust and break if you're outdoors for any time. My personal choice is to go to your nearest DIY shop and get a picture frame hanging kit. Those include up to a meter or so of braided brass wire designed to hold considerable weight Not to mention that it corrodes less than steel.

The only other thing I might suggest you consider is three or four steel key-ring loops like these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50-SPLIT-RINGS-12 ... dZViewItem

If you check the SAS Survival manual you'll see they're very useful for constructing traps.

Mark

ToddGray

Post by ToddGray » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:19 pm

I have to say, first off, that you have a nice kit going. Second, and with a bit more humor attached to it... been to the BX lately? :) Kyrgyzstan had everything you've listed; and now I'm kicking myself in the ass for not getting it while I was there.

SilentVectorX

Post by SilentVectorX » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:55 am

Well, I can add 'Suunto X9i' to the EDC now 8) ... It's literaly a watch with GPS built in, unlike the wrist-top ForeTrex. Will review when it gets here. :D

ToddGray, the BX here is pretty tiny, all I've seen is the Inova LED light, and the military model Leathermans. MCS back home however, did have signal mirrors and some other stuff.

Haven't made any changes lately other than adding a tuna and mayo packet a few days ago. I did some research and Katadyn seems to make the best purification tablet.
My Pocket Survival Kit Comments appreciated!
Image Technician Class - KD0GHY
M1A SOCOM, .45, PIE!

jay_imok

Post by jay_imok » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:26 am

ooo
Last edited by jay_imok on Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mega-hertz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, 28 days(the one where Sandra bullock goes to rehab and has to kill her way back to the bar and gets naked a lot when she fights all those zombies)

Post by mega-hertz » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:55 am

nice E&E pouch dude :P
ever thought about putting some of these in there:?:
" I'm hiding in Honduras. I'm a desperate man. Send lawyers, guns and money. The $h!t has hit the fan." Warren Zevon......R.I.P.
fart lol!

SwordsSwordsSwords

Post by SwordsSwordsSwords » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:24 pm

mega-hertz wrote:nice E&E pouch dude :P
ever thought about putting some of these in there:?:
Sir...please be prepared. I'd hate to hear about something awful happening to you just because you were advised to pack light.

SilentVectorX

Post by SilentVectorX » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:51 pm

I can't see either pic out here... Mind telling me what's in the pics?
My Pocket Survival Kit Comments appreciated!
Image Technician Class - KD0GHY
M1A SOCOM, .45, PIE!

SwordsSwordsSwords

Post by SwordsSwordsSwords » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:57 pm

um...small bottle of JB in the first pic

Monter bottle of cobra/grass snake death wish goodness /kill

why can't you see the pics?

amd2800barton

Post by amd2800barton » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:12 pm

SwordsSwordsSwords wrote:why can't you see the pics?
probably because he's deployed. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe that a number of branches (if not all) filter pictures, video, mp3s to cut down on bandwith costs, among other reasons.
TheFreakinBear wrote:You like the taste of bawls in your mouth? :wink: How does it feel to have bawls in your mouth? :wink: What flavor of bawls do you prefer? :wink:

Return to “Bug Out Gear”