Home made pocket stove (56k)

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Aeon

Post by Aeon » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:14 pm

Whay weather let up today swo i got the tin out and got 'eh goin, must say for a 9" tin she burns very well. The following links are the vids i took (you might need Realplayer inorder to view them):

http://orion.chris.googlepages.com/MOV00001.3gp
Please note that in this first one; the fireball is caused by the large amount of magnesium nitrate i mixed in with the thermite, but it blew the tin off its wall so i had to begin again without the thermite.

http://orion.chris.googlepages.com/MOV00002.3gp
Damn thing just wouldn't light.

http://orion.chris.googlepages.com/MOV00003.3gp
There we go, it went quite nicly for a looooong time, longer than i was prepared to stand out in the cold and watch it.

http://orion.chris.googlepages.com/MOV00004.3gp
Me trying desparatly to put the lid back on. After i noticed the wall had set on fire.

http://orion.chris.googlepages.com/MOV00005.3gp
Me being burnt by the tin lid which was rapidly gettin hotter.

These images were taken 4 hours after the initial lighting, weather remained cold and slightly windy but fine, i couldn't beleive how little it had burnt down. And how hot the lid got once i put it on!

Still the base remained relavitly cool due to the fact that it didnt burn downto the base, which was good cos it meant i could pick it up and run should one of the neighbors call the police...again.

(P.s. sorry for the crap quality took them on my camera phone)

Brash
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn of the Dead (Original), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, Special Dead.

Post by Brash » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:14 pm

That first video nearly made me wet myself laughing.

Click...click....WOOMPFF!!!

Aeon

Post by Aeon » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:39 pm

Brash wrote:That first video nearly made me wet myself laughing.

Click...click....WOOMPFF!!!
I was laughing my ass off (through my now charred hand), i had a big group of friends sat indoors practically dieing from laughing, theres me crouched over the damn thing, "click...click...BOOM!" massive cloud of black smoke and fire rages upward sending me on my ass.

Still, i thought it went quite well, tin didnt expand too much so that i couldn't put the lid back on. Think im gonna find an inbetween betwixt shoe-polish tin and Celebrations!

Overall rating?

Brash
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn of the Dead (Original), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, Special Dead.

Post by Brash » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Overall rating: 8/10

The initial explosion was hilarious. The fire worked well and would obviously last for some time more. The tin didn't melt or deform. Needs more Thermitte though. :lol:

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:51 pm

Brash wrote:Needs more Thermite
Is that the ZS equivalent of "Needs more Cowbell"? :wink:

nfa

Brash

Post by Brash » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:53 pm

It's just a universal truth. Everything needs more Thermite. :lol:

Biff

Post by Biff » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:56 pm

Last edited by Biff on Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:57 pm

The ZS Candy-tin Stove - if you have to ask, it needs more thermite...

Biff

Post by Biff » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:59 pm

Last edited by Biff on Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aeon

Post by Aeon » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:11 pm

Biff wrote:Some notes:

First, kudos and thanks for experimenting and sharing your results with the board. Your community spirit is appreciated. All the Monday-morning quarterbacking that your experiment will elicit isn't worth nearly as much as the real world experience that you gained by getting out there and doing it. I'm sure that you were exercising some common sense safety precautions and had either a fire extinguisher or a garden hose handy in case things started to get out of hand, and would encourage others who may follow in your footsteps to do the same.

Please take the following as constructive criticism:
I think the tin is too large in diameter. Its size makes it difficult to light, and it seemed from the video as though the whole surface was never lit all at the same time throughout the course of the test. If it were all to have been lit at the same time, I believe what would have happened is that there would have been a sort of chimney effect, with the flames in the center being very high, and the flames at the outside laying flat and toward the center.

Consider the lowly Sterno can. Its most common use is as a heat source under chafing dishes. Such containers come in all sizes and shapes, but Sterno cans, while they come with varying volumes of fuel, are all roughly the same diameter. And with good reason, I think. My guess is that there is a point of diminishing return, beyond which an increase in the diameter of the fuel surface will not effectively increase the diameter of the flame. A stove burner can spread heat out over a large area because there are many jets which prescribe the diameter of the flame. In the case of a Sterno can, and in your experiment, there is only one "jet". My bet is that you would get more heat from 3 closely placed 3" diameter tins than one 9 inch tin.

As to the depth of the tin, the wax only burns at the surface, where there is air for combustion. The depth of the shoe polish can seems adequate for the task. Adding any depth beyond that will add to the longevity of the stove, but at a penalty in weight.
Thanks for the feedback, indeed i exercised fire saftey and had a fire extinguisher close at hand. And you are correct that i strongly urge anyone who is going to attempt any kinds of experrimentation especially with fire and chemicals of this variety to use their noggin, i had a medical kit, fire extinguisher and bucket of water handy and had everyone indoors should the worst have happened.

As for the tin; it was more for the sake of saying i had made a stupidly large tin rather than for practicalities sake. However, my initial thoughts when picking a tin were its uses. A tin this big could serve as a torch signal or other signaling device (smoke signals).
Your theory on height of the flames mademe think; if the flames in the middle (being subjected to the highest temp) burnt hotter than the material at the centre would burn quicker, leading to it burning its middle out, this would only increase the rate of burning on the edges and create a torus shape of hot and cold air which would (given time) have warped the edges of the tin beyond any further use.

Brash: Ive got loads of the thermite left, ill do another tin entirly of the stuff when ive next got a free afternoon, or better yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrCWLpRc1yM

theclockwork

Post by theclockwork » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:19 pm

You got extra? I need some, for my lens experiments yeah thats it.

Actually I want to see if this ideal I have for releasing O2 from a solid state via a high temp burn will work.
Zoë: Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?
Book: Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Benjamin Franklin "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

AwPhuch

Post by AwPhuch » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:01 pm

Could you use perhaps a large cotton wick in the center of the roll and light it instead of trying to light thermite!?
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms - Should be a convenience store, not a Governmental entity
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Brash

Post by Brash » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:02 pm

Wheres the fun in that? seriously though, either a wick or as I used a vaseline soaked cotton pad on top of the actual fuel is in order. These things take a bit to light otherwise.

Aeon

Post by Aeon » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:09 am

AwPhuch wrote:Could you use perhaps a large cotton wick in the center of the roll and light it instead of trying to light thermite!?
Thermite requires massive amounts of heat to combust which is why magnesium is included in the mix. Thing with magnesium is it its-self require a large amount of heat to ignite, i doubt cotton wool would surrifce.

g0nz0

Post by g0nz0 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:03 am

i tried this last night as well in the kiwi tin. what kind of burn times are you guys getting in your experimenting? i was able to achieve 22 minutes of decent flame by dipping the pieces of cardboard in wax and then laying them in the tin. take some extra hot wax and filled the tin a quarter of the way up. and to light it i used some firepaste. it worked very well. defiantly going to get more firepaste today.

Aeon

Post by Aeon » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:04 pm

I ran mine for 4 hours before conditions be came such that i had to stopbut i see no reason why it could not have gone on burning happily for hours.

g0nz0

Post by g0nz0 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:17 am

i noticed on mine that after it went out that most of the cardboard was still good. guess the flame just sucked the wax out of it.

Orion: how did you get yours to burn so long (other than using a huge tin?

Aeon

Post by Aeon » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:36 pm

g0nz0 wrote:i noticed on mine that after it went out that most of the cardboard was still good. guess the flame just sucked the wax out of it.

Orion: how did you get yours to burn so long (other than using a huge tin?
Key is to ensure the wax actually goes between the layers of cardboard, that and i suppose the 'sprinkling' of thermite probably kept the cardboard hot enough to ignite even after the wax had melted. If you put enough on the melting wax should seep down between the cardboard rolls and should keep it lit until theres no cardboard left.

...theoretically speaking of course. :)

Brash

Post by Brash » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:58 pm

The heat from the flame melts the wax and draws it up through the cardboard like a wick. The stove will draw out all the wax before burning the cardboard.

2now

Post by 2now » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:08 am

I had a thought, what about this kind of stove with Crisco instead of wax?

Maybe with a smaller wick. SO you had some open space around the wick, you could easily pack more Crisco in when ever you got a chance to resupply.

Crisco has the big advantage of being edible and have lots of food calories in it.
I am a lawyer but I am not YOUR lawyer.

Ben

Post by Ben » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:44 am

Crisco plus powdered sugar (icing sugar to you on the other side of the pond) is how you make buttercream icing. That is very useful for when you decorate cakes while bugging out.
Gregoriev wrote:I'm not shooting you down for stupidity, but this is like saying "In case of zombies I'll just build my own rocket to mars! blastoff wooohooo!!!! no more zombie! lolz!"

phoenixmastm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Land of the Dead, Undead, 28 weeks later.

Post by phoenixmastm » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:35 am

Ben wrote:Crisco plus powdered sugar (icing sugar to you on the other side of the pond) is how you make buttercream icing. That is very useful for when you decorate cakes while bugging out.
Heres another funny thing, Powdered Sugar burns REALLY WELL, as well as that powdered coolade crap and other sugar added drink mixes. Granted, it just creates a fireball, but I do keep some handy in case the fire just doesnt want to light. Doubles as a quick and easy drink for when I need more than just water :D.
Up onto the overturned keel
Clamber, with a heart of steel
Cold is the ocean spray
And your death is on it's way
With maidens you've had your way
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

theclockwork

Post by theclockwork » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:18 am

Orion, do you have your eyebrows back yet?
Zoë: Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?
Book: Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Benjamin Franklin "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Famine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of The Dead, Night of the Living Dead

Post by Famine » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:02 pm

I tried this. It didn't turn out well. The wax was a bitch to melt all of it, and what I did melt didn't take. I was sad. I cried a little.

Then my grandmother decided she'd use her coffee cup warmer as a candle warmer, and I discovered a fast way to liquefy wax.

I now have a means to make this work. :lol:

Kevin
NNYWCT Alum! We Bug Out Harder!
crypto wrote:Well, if you are thinking of moving into a house, and all the signs on the street every 50 feet warn in giant block letters: GUNS WILL BE TAKEN IF THERE IS MORE THAN 3 INCHES OF SNOW, you may want to re-think living there.

Return to “Other Gear”