Firearms CHAT: [insert chat title here]

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Firearms CHAT: [insert chat title here]

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:15 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:57 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:49 pm
Oh, ok.

Looks like I'll be storing my 870 with an empty chamber now.
Lots of people, including myself, keep their pump shotguns in what's sometimes called "cruiser ready", meaning loaded, unchambered, safety off. Prevents accidents and is quick to deploy if needed.
I didn't realize there was a name for it. I've been keeping my 870 loaded like that since I bought it.

I probably should've mentioned that when I said I kept it loaded. :oops:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:08 pm

I don't know that kids were being stupid, but: Large Dallas County explosion caused by teens using Tannerite while target shooting, officials say

There is a valid safety concern, obviously.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:18 pm

There's an outdoor range in Odessa that does gender reveal stuff, but they mix the Tannerite and whatever color powder (pink or blue) themselves. The customers for the gender reveal party aren't allowed to do so for safety reasons.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:14 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:15 pm
PistolPete wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Oh, ok.

Lots of people, including myself, keep their pump shotguns in what's sometimes called "cruiser ready", meaning loaded, unchambered, safety off. Prevents accidents and is quick to deploy if needed.
I didn't realize there was a name for it. I've been keeping my 870 loaded like that since I bought it.

I probably should've mentioned that when I said I kept it loaded. :oops:
Dropping the hammer on the empty chamber is optional - but it means you can rack the slide without having to hit the slide release.

That's the SOP for our duty 870s at my PD, and the way my 'social use' home version is stored.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:44 pm

I put a snap cap in the chamber of my 870 before I dropped the hammer and put it in "cruiser ready" mode back in its spot next to my nightstand.

I figure when I have to rack the slide, the snap cap is going to be ejected anyway in order to chamber a live round.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:29 pm

PistolPete wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Oh, ok.

Which is how mine is kept next to my bed. 8-)
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:13 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:44 pm
I put a snap cap in the chamber of my 870 before I dropped the hammer and put it in "cruiser ready" mode back in its spot next to my nightstand.

I figure when I have to rack the slide, the snap cap is going to be ejected anyway in order to chamber a live round.
This is what i was thinking you were meaning but with the safety on though, but it still seams like an empty chamber and a snap cap chamber are the same thing, you still have to charge/rack before firing. With an AR you can't put the safety on without the hammer cocked. So I thought this was a new state of ready for ARs. You get the naming rights, 'cruiser ready' is taken. :wink: 'arsnap and old lace' ??!?

There's another way to do your 870. Put a cartridge mount next to the ejection port and store it 'bolt back'. When you grab it you drop the shell into the ejection port and pull the bolt forward. That way your at the +1 mag cap. That's called a 'John Wicked'. It's probably only a good idea in movies though. YMMV.

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:46 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:13 am
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:44 pm

This is what i was thinking you were meaning but with the safety on though, but it still seams like an empty chamber and a snap cap chamber are the same thing, you still have to charge/rack before firing. With an AR you can't put the safety on without the hammer cocked. So I thought this was a new state of ready for ARs. You get the naming rights, 'cruiser ready' is taken. :wink: 'arsnap and old lace' ??!?
Delta method?
the "This is my safety" bit in the movie black hawk down came about because of this.
https://taskandpurpose.com/entertainmen ... -my-safety

also lucky gunner did a video recently about curser ready shotguns.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:54 am

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:35 pm

Speaking of Black Hawk Down, Classic Firearms is running a giveaway right now of a Fulton Armory clone of the M14 Randy Shughart used in Mogadishu.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:14 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:35 pm
Speaking of Black Hawk Down, Classic Firearms is running a giveaway right now of a Fulton Armory clone of the M14 Randy Shughart used in Mogadishu.
Already entered. No need for anyone else to enter. :mrgreen:

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:50 pm

NT2C wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:14 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I entered yesterday. :lol:

It'll be a cold day in hell if I ever win any of Classic's giveaways, but I still enter anyway.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:37 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:50 pm
NT2C wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

It'll be a cold day in hell if I ever win any of Classic's giveaways, but I still enter anyway.
Well, at least if you win it I'll have an invitation to try it. 8-)

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:49 pm

Well, fear me and my like 10 entries!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:14 pm

NT2C wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:37 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:50 pm
NT2C wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Well, at least if you win it I'll have an invitation to try it. 8-)
That's true. :D
boskone wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:49 pm
Well, fear me and my like 10 entries!
You get like 400 entries if you enter the secret word from the video.

I'm still hoping Classic will say who won the Nemo .300 Win Mag rifle along with the body armor and skate deck signed by Donut Operator.

I know it's probably not me. If it was, I'd be calling my FFL right now and arranging the transfer and looking for some .300 Win Mag ammo.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:50 pm

Well, I finally had to retire the camo grip tape I've had on my AK's grip for the past six years.

It got to the point where all the adhesive stuff was gone and the tape started to unravel. So I peeled it off, wiped away whatever adhesive residue had accumulated on my grip over the years and went back to the way it was before I put the tape on it.

Still kind of debating on whether or not I'll put more on (as soon as I buy another roll since I used up the last bit awhile back) or just leave it as is. I may just leave it as is since I don't think the grip tape really made much difference.

If I decide I want a grippy textured grip, I can always pick up the Magpul MOE+ AK grip with the rubber stuff over it. I think that's one of the few Magpul things Academy actively stocks. Pretty much everything else has been out of stock for awhile.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:12 pm

Picked up a Yildiz 20ga o/u. I'd wanted one for a long while, but was being a good boy and not spending money on guns I'll use about 4 times a year. ...too many guns I'll use about 4 times a year. :lol:

But I'd been thinking of building a rifle/shotgun takedown case for dad, to put his two most commonly used guns (Yildiz 20ga o/u, Henry .44mag single-shot) in. While poking around, I found two things: Yildiz has a black-finished receiver now (dad's is in the white, and while it looks good it's just not my taste), and the local Academy had the only one in a couple hundred miles.

So I went and bought it. The Academy guys said they were getting a trickle of the Yildiz, and they sell pretty quickly. Based on dad's and internet reports, while they're maybe not up to Citori or such levels they're good-quality guns; most complaints are people that shoot skeet regularly, and so probably shoot more in a year than I have period.

I think like it. The stock's nice, reeks of linseed oil, and isn't finished to the Nth degree; but it's pretty, fits well, and the more I look at it the more I like the low-gloss metal with low-gloss wood. It's about half the weight of my 20ga BPS, much less my 12ga 11-87, but actually has longer barrels than either. The only thing I wish is that it had more climb to the stock; with a comfortable cheek weld, I can still see the rib; I'll decide later what--if anything--to do about that.

Maybe next weekend I'll see about running out to the range and see if they'll let me pattern it. Maybe try a round or two of skeet, if I can get someone to come with.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:43 pm

The last time I tried skeet shooting, the only thing I hit was air.

Which is just like the first and only time I've ever been hunting. Was aiming for some squirrels in a tree and managed to hit the branch about three feet above them.

In my defense, I was using a gun I had zero experience with and that had probably last been sighted in when Teddy Roosevelt was still in office.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:06 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:43 pm

Which is just like the first and only time I've ever been hunting. Was aiming for some squirrels in a tree and managed to hit the branch about three feet above them.

In my defense, I was using a gun I had zero experience with and that had probably last been sighted in when Teddy Roosevelt was still in office.
I wouldn't compare shotguns (firing shot) with anything shooting a single round. Skeet and bird hunting is like 99% developed instinct, there's basically no aiming involved; that's why shotguns typically have very simple sights.

There used to be an RDS specifically for shotguns, with a ring about the size of a shotgun pattern at some distance or other. Never tried it.

However, you might could try a shotgun with a ring-and-dot RDS, and pattern the shotgun to see how the ring looks compared to the pattern at various distances.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:23 pm

boskone wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:06 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:43 pm

I wouldn't compare shotguns (firing shot) with anything shooting a single round. Skeet and bird hunting is like 99% developed instinct, there's basically no aiming involved; that's why shotguns typically have very simple sights.

There used to be an RDS specifically for shotguns, with a ring about the size of a shotgun pattern at some distance or other. Never tried it.

However, you might could try a shotgun with a ring-and-dot RDS, and pattern the shotgun to see how the ring looks compared to the pattern at various distances.
Actually, I was using a shotgun, Boskone.

It was an old .410 I borrowed from the old guy whose land my dad and I were hunting on.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:56 pm

boskone wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:06 pm
Exactly what I've done with my home defense shotty. Put a cheap $40 R/GDS on it, figured out how it patterned with #8 birdshot at various distances, #4 buck at the same distances, and dialed in the sight so I can whang slugs off a steel silhouette all day long at 100 yards. I know just how big that shot pattern is going to be in relation to the ring & dot out to each load's max effective range against a human-sized predator. A lot of folks scoff at a RDS on a shotty and ask what my plan is when it inevitably breaks. It hasn't yet and I've got about 2k rounds through the gun now. But if it does the front bead is still there and the frame of the RDS makes a halfway decent rear ghost ring, enough so that a friend at the range who asked to try it was also putting slugs on steel at 100 yards, without turning the sight on.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:29 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:23 pm
Actually, I was using a shotgun, Boskone.

It was an old .410 I borrowed from the old guy whose land my dad and I were hunting on.
I assumed you were, that was kinda my point: anything you learn for any other firearm is basically useless for a shotgun with shot. (Now, if you're using one of those bolt-action, scope-equipped slug guns it's probably a different story.)

And I wouldn't bother using .410 as a basis; it's terrifyingly limited compared to 20, 16, or 12ga. For reference, a .410 would be 67ga.

It's sole advantage is very light recoil...but that can be reproduced with handicapped loads. It's small and easy for garden shooting (e.g. shooting rats); outside of that it has various things it can do, but I've never seen anything it does better than a 20ga or larger. Even for the recoil-sensitive, there's handicapped 20ga or 12ga minishells (if the gun can run them).

Which is all a long-winded way of saying "Don't worry about it. Shotguns are hard, and the .410 is a terrible gun for a newbie to use.".

(Re:minishells, autos seem to be the only guns that have issues in general; pumps even seem to tolerate them without a problem. I can't think of a single break-action that would have an issue at all.)

(Re: the above: there's no 20ga minishells. I just looked, out of curiosity. That's unfortunate, because I wanted some as a joke. Load up like 14 in my BPS, then find a reason to just unload them all.)

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:34 pm

boskone wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:29 pm
(Re: the above: there's no 20ga minishells. I just looked, out of curiosity. That's unfortunate, because I wanted some as a joke. Load up like 14 in my BPS, then find a reason to just unload them all.)
If the above is what I think it is, we called this: recon by fire :mrgreen:

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:47 pm

I wanted to try those Aguila mini shells, but I've read they don't work well in Remington 870s. I know there's a little adapter for Mossberg shotguns, but I can't find one for Remington shotguns.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”