Portland Violence

Civil disorder is a special type of disaster worthy of its own area of discussion. No Political Discussion!

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Forum rules
No political discussion or you will be barred from posting in this section! You have been warned.
raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Re: Portland Violence

Post by raptor2 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:56 pm

It is a shame that the grownups have to go this extreme for basic protective services.

It also appears that one person who bears significant direct responsibility for the dysfunction at the city level has moved for his own safety ... that says volumes.
....residents of the apartment building in downtown Portland [were told] that it would be best for all their safety if he found a new home, the Oregonian newspaper reported on its website.

“I want to express my sincere apologies for the damage to our home and the fear that you are experiencing due to my position,” according to a screenshot of the email sent to The Oregonian.

Link to source

caution politics at link above.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:11 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:24 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:35 am
KOIN 6 News - OSP troopers federally deputized amid renewed Portland protest response

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Oregon State Police troopers responding to the ongoing protest-related unrest in Portland have been federally deputized, state police confirm.

State police tell KOIN 6 News they’re working with the U.S. Attorney’s Office to review arrests made by troopers assigned to Portland for potential prosecution. The troopers assigned to Portland have been cross-deputized by the U.S. Marshals.
This will look better than sending troops in.
Reminds me of this quote:

“Any community that does not police itself will be policed from outside.”
― Massad Ayoob, Deadly Force - Understanding Your Right to Self Defense

and this other one of his:

"...in any society, Law is an illusory concept that works only when everyone voluntarily agrees to live by it." ~ Massad Ayoob
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:11 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:51 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:24 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:35 am
KOIN 6 News - OSP troopers federally deputized amid renewed Portland protest response

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Oregon State Police troopers responding to the ongoing protest-related unrest in Portland have been federally deputized, state police confirm.

State police tell KOIN 6 News they’re working with the U.S. Attorney’s Office to review arrests made by troopers assigned to Portland for potential prosecution. The troopers assigned to Portland have been cross-deputized by the U.S. Marshals.
This will look better than sending troops in.
It will also change who is deciding to prosecute a crime or not, if I'm not mistaken. The local DA has been releasing people (without bail or charges) who are caught rioting. This led to the release of one guy who then executed a member of a different philosophical persuasion. Another guy was released who then recently (yesterday?) killed two people with a knife (unrelated to philosophical differences, as far as I can tell). So the bail/criminal charging situation should change rather drastically now.

Area law enforcement was refusing to help the mayor because of the lack of cooperation from the local district attorney. Why put your life on the line when they are released within minutes and you still have 5 hours of paperwork and a bunch of injuries you need to care for because of the last 90+ days of peaceful festivities?
"We have a BINGO!"
Tony D Tiger

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:41 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:19 pm
From NPR: One Author's Argument 'In Defense Of Looting' - click at your own risk :roll:
Wow, that's an enragingly insipid interview:
But looters and rioters don't attack private homes. They don't attack community centers. In Minneapolis, there was a small independent bookstore that was untouched. All the blocks around it were basically looted or even leveled, burned down. And that store just remained untouched through weeks of rioting.
So, we know that small business have been burned down, looted, vandalized...but since one bookstore was unscathed it's all false?

And that's without touching on some of the politically-loaded idiocy, which frankly was most of it.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:21 pm

boskone wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:41 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:19 pm
From NPR: One Author's Argument 'In Defense Of Looting' - click at your own risk :roll:
Wow, that's an enragingly insipid interview:
But looters and rioters don't attack private homes. They don't attack community centers. In Minneapolis, there was a small independent bookstore that was untouched. All the blocks around it were basically looted or even leveled, burned down. And that store just remained untouched through weeks of rioting.
So, we know that small business have been burned down, looted, vandalized...but since one bookstore was unscathed it's all false?

And that's without touching on some of the politically-loaded idiocy, which frankly was most of it.
No argument here.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:17 pm

The Oregonian - Man sought in the fatal Portland shooting after Trump rally killed by officers in WA, published report says

Officers on a federal fugitive task force seeking to arrest Michael Forest Reinoehl on a warrant in the deadly shooting Saturday night in downtown Portland after a pro-Trump rally shot and killed him in Washington as they tried to take him into custody, according to The New York Times.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:37 pm

boskone wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:41 pm

I didn't bother to read the story linked, but one small part of that quote you added drives me up the wall; the simple use of "don't" vs. "didn't." The latter would be a simple observation; a thing was true of past events that could be interesting and important or it could be coincidental. Making the claim that a huge group of (by definition chaotic) people "don't" do such and such thing is predictive and ascribing all kind of motives that could become untrue in the blink of an eye, even *if* it used to be true. The "no true scotsman" seems to naturally follow any such claim:
"but such and such private home was attacked"
"oh, but looters and rioters *don't do that*, it must have been some other group"

my rant doesn't really add much to the conversation; but maybe just the observation that people really don't realize what kind of chaos is going on right now; anyone (from any ideological or political persuasion) imagining they can make clear predictions about what large groups of chaotic people will or won't do will be rudely surprised. I think many elements with all kinds of opposing motives imagine they can ride the lightning to their respective goals; but it's all just playing with fire.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:41 am

RickOShea wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:17 pm
The Oregonian - Man sought in the fatal Portland shooting after Trump rally killed by officers in WA, published report says

Officers on a federal fugitive task force seeking to arrest Michael Forest Reinoehl on a warrant in the deadly shooting Saturday night in downtown Portland after a pro-Trump rally shot and killed him in Washington as they tried to take him into custody, according to The New York Times.
Thanks for posting this. I grew up next to that neighborhood and I'm checking with family to see if they saw or heard anything. I used to run all over that neighborhood.

Edit to add: none of my family saw or heard anything.
Last edited by RoneKiln on Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:17 pm

Newsies this evening showed the Portland shooter setting up his shot - he stepped off the sidewalk into a parking garage and waited for the victim to pass by, then stepped out behind him.
Situational awareness and checking your surroundings may have helped avoid this simple technique.
Tony D Tiger

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:14 am

tony d tiger wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:17 pm
Newsies this evening showed the Portland shooter setting up his shot - he stepped off the sidewalk into a parking garage and waited for the victim to pass by, then stepped out behind him.
Situational awareness and checking your surroundings may have helped avoid this simple technique.
Got a link?
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:21 pm

Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:50 pm

yossarian wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:14 am
tony d tiger wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:17 pm
Got a link?
Bing doesn't seem to have any problem finding it. I saw it on the local TeeVee... but you could try this: https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/ ... uxbndlbing
Tony D Tiger

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:06 am

The violence in Portland continues ...
https://katu.com/news/local/portland-po ... e-tear-gas
https://abcnews.go.com/US/portland-poli ... d=72846185

Again it seems as though there is a disconnect in realty for these events.

A video of a molatov cocktail being used is being shown while others are saying the protest was peaceful and blaming the violence on the hate group with whom they disagree.

YMMV

Plan accordingly if you live near such peaceful events.
Duco Ergo Sum

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:32 am

raptor2 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:06 am
The violence in Portland continues ...
https://katu.com/news/local/portland-po ... e-tear-gas
https://abcnews.go.com/US/portland-poli ... d=72846185

Again it seems as though there is a disconnect in realty for these events.

A video of a molatov cocktail being used is being shown while others are saying the protest was peaceful and blaming the violence on the hate group with whom they disagree.

YMMV

Plan accordingly if you live near such peaceful events.
I take issue with that last line, as "near" is a subjective term.
The Portland ANTIFA shooter was found a couple hours drive (by interstate highway) north of Portland.
The arrest list from the Portland Police Bureau on Friday night's "activities" includes residents of Colorado, New Mexico and at least one other state (don't recall at the moment) as well as others listed as "residence unknown".

So it doesn't matter if you are "near" an active site as much as if the place you are at is assessed by"them" as vulnerable; or ripe for exploitation. If there aren't enough local protesters, they bring them in.
Olympia, WA had riotous demonstrations Friday night, and locals reported two bus loads of "protesters dressed in black" off loading earlier in the center of town.

Situational awareness is highly recommended, even if you are in an area you frequent and are comfortable in. Check your six.
Tony D Tiger

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:01 pm

tony d tiger wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:32 am
I accept that criticism. However, I intentionally used the term "near" for exactly that reason. It is subjective. Today's violence may indeed pop up anywhere.
tony d tiger wrote:
Situational awareness is highly recommended, even if you are in an area you frequent and are comfortable in. Check your six.
+1000
QFT

This should be a prepper's mantra. Check 6 (as well as 9,12 & 3).

This news story is an example.
This "peaceful" person ran over someone because he attended a funeral for someone murdered for his political beliefs.
https://www.kptv.com/news/police-id-sus ... 7fa20.html
Charles R. Holliday-Smith, 30, turned himself into law enforcement and was booked into Clark County Jail. He faces charges including assault in the first degree and felony hit-and-run in connection with the incident on Saturday in the 3300 block of Northeast 112th Avenue.

According to investigators, the victim of the hit-and-run and a group of friends had traveled to the bar from downtown Vancouver. Police said the victim and the group of friends became uncomfortable when Holliday-Smith started to record them.
Duco Ergo Sum

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:18 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:01 pm
tony d tiger wrote:
I accept that criticism. However, I intentionally used the term "near" for exactly that reason. It is subjective. Today's violence may indeed pop up anywhere.
tony d tiger wrote:
+1000
QFT

This should be a prepper's mantra. Check 6 (as well as 9,12 & 3).

This news story is an example.
This "peaceful" person ran over someone because he attended a funeral for someone murdered for his political beliefs.
https://www.kptv.com/news/police-id-sus ... 7fa20.html
Charles R. Holliday-Smith, 30, turned himself into law enforcement and was booked into Clark County Jail. He faces charges including assault in the first degree and felony hit-and-run in connection with the incident on Saturday in the 3300 block of Northeast 112th Avenue.

According to investigators, the victim of the hit-and-run and a group of friends had traveled to the bar from downtown Vancouver. Police said the victim and the group of friends became uncomfortable when Holliday-Smith started to record them.
Reminds me of another "prepper's mantra" - never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you. :mrgreen:
Tony D Tiger

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:23 am

The obvious question for business owners in the Portland area is similar to those by business owners in other riot torn areas. Why rebuild at my current location? If history provides insight many will not.

Link to source of quote title redacted due to politics in url link
adding what is happening in downtown Portland is almost not worth the cost of doing business.

“It’s kind of the consensus right now is, why stay?" Gibson said. "As a business, why would I stay in Portland."
So far the local DA has filed charges against 19 people for their actions.

https://pamplinmedia.com/pt/9-news/4811 ... 00-for-now
Of the 851 arrested by local police, 249 have been referred to the D.A. for potential felony charges, while another 599 are listed as misdemeanor charges. A few cases have charges listed as "null" or "other."

So far, District Attorney Mike Schmidt has filed charges in 19 cases involving protesters. The alleged crimes include shining a high-powered laser at police, throwing a mortar firework, a glass bottle or a shield, possessing a destructive device, firing a gun, assaulting police, or possessing a firearm or body armor while being a felon.

Of the 19 cases, only one person has been convicted so far, after pleading guilty to first-degree arson

Keeping in mind the above lack of prosecution there is this recent announcement.
Redacted URL due to politics in title
ordered police in Oregon’s largest city to stop using tear gas for crowd control during the frequently violent protests that have racked the city for more than three months
The message to me is pretty clear...if you live in the Portland area you need to do a critical assessment of your personal safety.

The other more important take away; Portland( IMO) is also a good model to review for planning/preparations purposes. It provides insight into the future where local entities will simply not enforce laws against those whose agenda they support.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:24 pm

More violence in Portland last night.

NWS and toxic comments. View at your own risk.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1309002653482053636
Duco Ergo Sum

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:48 pm

KVAL 13 News - Portland Police deputized as federal officers ahead of protests

PORTLAND, Ore. - Members of the Portland Police Bureau’s Rapid Response Team were deputized as Federal Marshals on Saturday morning ahead of a planned rally by the Proud Boy group and expected counterprotest.

“I want violent individuals thinking about the enhanced penalties they may face if they harm a Portland Police Bureau Officer,” Oregon State Police Superintendent Travis Hampton said.

Deputizing the police officers "will allow federal prosecutors to charge allegations of assault on a federal officer to anyone who attacks a deputized Portland Police Bureau Officers," state police said.

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:20 pm

Portland seems a bit calmer lately.
That or perhaps the MSM has decided things there are no longer newsworthy.

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2020/1 ... years.html
Four fatal shootings in Portland this week bring the total for the year to 39 homicides -- putting the city on a trajectory to have its most deadly spate of violence in six years and prompting an outcry from community leaders who work directly with victims and families affected by the gunfire.

So far this year, 173 people have been struck by gunfire in 595 shootings, up from 89 people struck in 300 shootings at this time a year ago. The numbers include those killed by gunshots, police said.
An August video of the Portland violence.- Caution politics and NWS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlCTpyw ... el=AndyNgo

An August video of one the factions. Caution politics and NWS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESyZDnJ ... TTERSHOT45
Duco Ergo Sum

Black Beard

Post by Black Beard » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:33 pm

Not sure if anyone has provided this link before- Portland Police news website:

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/news/

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:00 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:20 pm
Portland seems a bit calmer lately.
That or perhaps the MSM has decided things there are no longer newsworthy.

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2020/1 ... years.html
Four fatal shootings in Portland this week bring the total for the year to 39 homicides -- putting the city on a trajectory to have its most deadly spate of violence in six years and prompting an outcry from community leaders who work directly with victims and families affected by the gunfire.

So far this year, 173 people have been struck by gunfire in 595 shootings, up from 89 people struck in 300 shootings at this time a year ago. The numbers include those killed by gunshots, police said.
An August video of the Portland violence.- Caution politics and NWS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlCTpyw ... el=AndyNgo

An August video of one the factions. Caution politics and NWS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESyZDnJ ... TTERSHOT45
From the link provided by @black beard:
On October 6, 2020, a march began in Elizabeth Caruthers Park located in the 3500 block of South Moody Avenue. The group walked to the Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) building located in the 4300 block of South Macadam Avenue. Many in the crowd carried shields, wore helmets, gas masks, and body armor. As the group marched towards the ICE building, support vehicles followed them as they blocked streets...

I suspect things are not calmer, just that the newsies have moved on.
Tony D Tiger

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:30 am

tony d tiger wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:00 pm
I would agree the continuing violence does not support the favored agenda.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:27 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:30 am
tony d tiger wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:00 pm
I would agree the continuing violence does not support the favored agenda.
That and here is the score card provided by the DA so that everyone knows where they stand on the matter. Note that 81% of the dismissed cases were nolle pros'ed for the very discretionary reason of "being in the instance of justice". Legal shorthand for the DA agrees with the actions these people took.
https://www.mcda.us/index.php/protest-cases/

No crime no violence, no violence ne need to report the peace that now exists. :clownshoes:

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020/10 ... cases.html
Duco Ergo Sum

Return to “Civil Disorder”