Firearms Chat: [REDACTED - for your safety]

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri May 01, 2020 4:48 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:17 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:56 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:11 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:41 am
Guess who just got a Beretta 92X for $560!!!!
I'm guessing Cabela's released your gun to you ?

They give an actual explanation or did they keep up with the Beretta corporate freeze schtick?
Got it at Sportsman's on a price match with discount.

Managers wouldn't explain anything at Bass Pro nor Cabela's. But a random employee did. Reason being, it's Cabela's/Bass-Pros fault.

I guess someone messed up their bar code scanning numbers, so they didn't match the physical serial numbers from Beretta. And since everything is run by computer, they are locked down until they can get all new scan codes corporate wide.
That kind of makes sense.

Hopefully they get their stuff sorted soon because I get the feeling they'll be losing a bunch of sales due to this screw up.
Honestly, it's a drop in the bucket compared to an issue with the ATF if they botch up their over complicated system.

And I bet firearms don't have as big a profit margin as their $100 fishing shirts haha

But I agree, they lost my sale. It'd be better if they had it. Basically that's 1 employee's hourly wage for the day they'll have to make up else where, even though that's a very loose description of how economics works.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri May 01, 2020 4:54 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:22 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:14 pm
There's an old saying that goes "Not my circus, not my monkeys." that fits this line of thought.

I think the whole deal is ridiculous, but when have knee jerk reactions ever made sense ?
I feel ya, I live in a country that put 20 million people out of work over something akin to the sniffles. Responses from governments seldem fix the declared problem.
The two cases aren't even vaguely comparable.

Banning firearms has never had a replicable effect in reducing violent crime or homicide rates, so the immediate reaction will predictably change nothing.

We're worse off from COVID than if we'd reacted quicker while it was still localized in China, instead of fucking around visually examining ourselves for intestinal polyps. This is perfectly demonstrable by comparing countries with low or slow responses to those with swifter ones.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun May 03, 2020 6:43 pm

The National Review (NR) has published an article called "The Second Amendment Day of Reckoning Is About to Dawn. I'd post the link, but.....the 'p' word

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed May 06, 2020 12:41 pm

Iz srry i broke firearms CHAT :clownshoes:

:crazy:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed May 06, 2020 3:31 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:41 pm

I'm not sure I trust Alexa that much, I've seen her do some whacked out stuff.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed May 06, 2020 7:14 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:31 pm
MPMalloy wrote:

I didn't even realize he'd embedded a video until I opened this reply to ask what brought that comment on. :rofl:

That is a neat setup, but per my recent response to Anianna I just can't trust IoT crap much. Maybe--maybe--if I could self-host. Probably not.

MP, could you start maybe posting a tl;dr when you embed videos? I have YouTube blocked here to cut down on my bandwidth use. When you have a purely empty post it's pretty easy to figure out what's going on, but I suspect I may have missed part of a few of your recent posts. :)

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed May 06, 2020 10:11 pm

boskone wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:14 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:31 pm
MPMalloy wrote:

I didn't even realize he'd embedded a video until I opened this reply to ask what brought that comment on. :rofl:

That is a neat setup, but per my recent response to Anianna I just can't trust IoT crap much. Maybe--maybe--if I could self-host. Probably not.

MP, could you start maybe posting a tl;dr when you embed videos? I have YouTube blocked here to cut down on my bandwidth use. When you have a purely empty post it's pretty easy to figure out what's going on, but I suspect I may have missed part of a few of your recent posts. :)
Ok.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed May 06, 2020 10:20 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:11 pm
Ok.
[/quote]
Thankee.

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Thu May 07, 2020 10:37 am

boskone wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:54 pm
We're worse off from COVID than if we'd reacted quicker while it was still localized in China, instead of fucking around visually examining ourselves for intestinal polyps. This is perfectly demonstrable by comparing countries with low or slow responses to those with swifter ones.
That's a faith based assertion, not a data driven one. A number of countries with way less drastic responses than the US are doing much better than us. But this is firearms chat and not covid panic chat, so I'll move on. :-)
Feel free to argue with me in PM's if you feel strongly about it and feel like you can change my mind.

Anyone know where the best deal on lowers is? I have a few friends who want to do a buy of lowers and the best I've found is $40 at AIM.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu May 07, 2020 11:02 am

PistolPete wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:37 am
Anyone know where the best deal on lowers is? I have a few friends who want to do a buy of lowers and the best I've found is $40 at AIM.
Part of getting the best deal is having an intended purpose and finding something that fits that purpose. So, what's the build going to be and what kind of quality level are they looking for?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Thu May 07, 2020 11:58 am

NT2C wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 11:02 am
Part of getting the best deal is having an intended purpose and finding something that fits that purpose. So, what's the build going to be and what kind of quality level are they looking for?
I think the intended purpose is "good enough and as cheap as possible". Really, anymore there is little to be gained by the expensive lowers unless you are after looks or light weight. The $40 Anderson lowers are forged and will outlast most rifles they are built into.

[edit] Although if you see some deals on fancier lowers, feel free to let me know!
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu May 07, 2020 12:28 pm

Now I'm remembering the days when ZS did the group buys of custom AR lowers.

Why'd that ever stop ?

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu May 07, 2020 1:02 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:28 pm

Why'd that ever stop ?
PSA will do custom lowers if you guarantee 500 sold

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu May 07, 2020 1:48 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:02 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Why'd that ever stop ?
I did not know that.

I'd love to have a couple ZS lowers, but I don't think I could convince 500 people to order one so I could get a couple.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu May 07, 2020 2:28 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:48 pm
NT2C wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Why'd that ever stop ?
I did not know that.

I'd love to have a couple ZS lowers, but I don't think I could convince 500 people to order one so I could get a couple.
That how we got the Virginia lower from them. The artwork came from a fellow member of the VAGuns subreddit.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-vir ... eiver.html

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu May 07, 2020 2:45 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
NT2C wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Why'd that ever stop ?
I did not know that.

A quick Google search turned up a place that does 'em for $70, customardustcover.com. A few other places as well, generally in the same price range for a mag well logo. I guess then it'd just be up to getting some sort of permission to use the ZS logo.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu May 07, 2020 2:47 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
NT2C wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Why'd that ever stop ?
I did not know that.

Anyone know what's the deal on the licensing of the ZS logo for a one time personal use? Such as onto your own lower or a tattoo, not for profit of course, for pride.

Lasering would probably only cost another $60-80 to laser a decent sized one shallow at a laser engraver. couple of passes. I could be wrong though, I'd have to get a quote from my guy, I think he charges by the depth of cut and if it takes a lot of passes then i'd be more.

Or you could probably stencil one with a rattle can. Use a stick on masking paper with the logo printed on it and then an exacto blade to cut it out. All in for $8 plus your time.
https://pittsburghsprayequip.com/produc ... 8572d00eaa
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu May 07, 2020 4:07 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:47 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
NT2C wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Why'd that ever stop ?
I did not know that.

Anyone know what's the deal on the licensing of the ZS logo for a one time personal use? Such as onto your own lower or a tattoo, not for profit of course, for pride.

Lasering would probably only cost another $60-80 to laser a decent sized one shallow at a laser engraver. couple of passes. I could be wrong though, I'd have to get a quote from my guy, I think he charges by the depth of cut and if it takes a lot of passes then i'd be more.

Or you could probably stencil one with a rattle can. Use a stick on masking paper with the logo printed on it and then an exacto blade to cut it out. All in for $8 plus your time.
https://pittsburghsprayequip.com/produc ... 8572d00eaa
I think that'd be something you'd have to ask ZSHQ about.

I remember there was an issue with some hand sanitizer sellers on Amazon using the ZS logo on their "Zombie hand sanitizer ".

Regarding laser engraving the ZS logo on an AR lower, there's a company in my AO that does that. I wonder how much they'd charge me if I got a blank lower. I know Anderson and PSA sell a blank lower with no logos, just the caliber info and serial number.

I might pick one of those up and have them laser etch the ZS logo on it. Provided I can secure permission from ZSHQ or whoever I'd need to talk to, of course.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu May 07, 2020 4:31 pm

boskone wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:45 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
NT2C wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Why'd that ever stop ?
I did not know that.

A quick Google search turned up a place that does 'em for $70, customardustcover.com. A few other places as well, generally in the same price range for a mag well logo. I guess then it'd just be up to getting some sort of permission to use the ZS logo.
The custom PSA lowers aren't just a lasered logo, it's stamped into the lower same as the serial number, which is also custom, so you could get, for example, serial numbers starting with ZS. ZS0001, ZS0002, etc. You can also get custom text for the safety like on the Virginia model here: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-vir ... eiver.html

(I'm thinking a safety that says SAFE / DEAD / DEADER)

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu May 07, 2020 4:46 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 11:58 am
NT2C wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 11:02 am
I think the intended purpose is "good enough and as cheap as possible". Really, anymore there is little to be gained by the expensive lowers unless you are after looks or light weight. The $40 Anderson lowers are forged and will outlast most rifles they are built into.

[edit] Although if you see some deals on fancier lowers, feel free to let me know!
For straight functionality, the Anderson's will usually do the trick.

For me, I've gotten to the point where I'm willing to pay a few bucks extra for one with the built in trigger guard, just so I have one less f***ing roll pin to deal with.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu May 07, 2020 4:54 pm

Someone convince me I don't need a Smith and Wesson EZ 9mm or .380 pistol.

It would seem the universe, YouTube, the Outdoor Channel and the Shooting USA TV show on the channel are conspiring to convince me to purchase either one of those pistols.

First, Outdoor Channel shows a bunch of commercials about the 9mm EZ model, then Jim Scoutten on Shooting USA shows off the .380 and 9mm models (including the new Performance Center variants) and finally, a bunch of reviews of the pistols pop up in my recommended feed on YouTube. :lol:

I'm trying to be good and not buy a new gun this year or at least hold off until PSA releases their PS9 Glock clone.

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu May 07, 2020 5:17 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:31 pm
The custom PSA lowers aren't just a lasered logo, it's stamped into the lower same as the serial number, which is also custom, so you could get, for example, serial numbers starting with ZS. ZS0001, ZS0002, etc. You can also get custom text for the safety like on the Virginia model here: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-vir ... eiver.html

(I'm thinking a safety that says SAFE / DEAD / DEADER)
Sure, but then we'd need to find a way to sell 500 lowers.

Laser engraving could be done for just one or a few people. Or maybe find someone with a CNC router.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu May 07, 2020 9:37 pm

I'd be down for 2 or 3 custom lowers.

That being said, I really like building off of Aero's enhanced lowers. I wanna say it eliminates all roll pins, but I'd have to peak at it again.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu May 07, 2020 10:19 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:37 pm
I'd be down for 2 or 3 custom lowers.

That being said, I really like building off of Aero's enhanced lowers. I wanna say it eliminates all roll pins, but I'd have to peak at it again.
Looks like it uses some sort of screw mechanism for the bolt catch and takedown dedent. What's the fun in that? Part of the sport of AR building is trying to minimize the number of detents you launch across the garage.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”