COVID-19 Chat Thread

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and it just made sense to consolidate all the COVID-19 stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Holger Danske
Favorite Zombie Movies: Charlottes Web

Re: COVID-19 Thread

Post by Holger Danske » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:23 pm

I just got back from my Primary Care Doc. I'm doing well, lungs sound much better. I can start working out again in 2 weeks. I told the Doc that I believe my covid test was a false negative based on my symptoms and the results of my CT scan. The hospital radiologist told me my lungs appeared as a textbook example of covid. Ground glass opacity in both lungs. My Doc pointed out that the nasopharyngeal test I took is only 70% accurate then asked me to stay isolated for another week, two if possible. I had to look it up so here is an awesome sleepy time article on the subject..... https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/10.1148/radiol.2020200642

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:56 pm

Glad to hear you are improving! Hang in there HD!
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:57 pm

The UK has just joined most of the rest of Europe in an effective lockdown for the next three weeks:

Main points copy-and-pasted from the BBC:
BBC wrote:Here are the major points of his speech:

From tonight, people in Britain will be allowed to leave their homes for only “very limited purposes” - shopping for basic necessities; for one form of exercise a day; for any medical need; and to travel to and from work when “absolutely necessary”
- People are warned not to meet friends or family members who they do not live with
- Shopping is only permitted for essentials like food and medicine, and people are advised to do it “as little as you can”
- Police have powers to enforce the rules, including through fines and dispersing gatherings
- All shops selling non-essential goods, such as clothing and electronic stores, are ordered to close
- Libraries, playgrounds, outdoor gyms and places of worship are to close
- All gatherings of more than two people in public - excluding people you live with - are banned
- All social events, including weddings and baptisms are banned
- Funerals are not included in the new restrictions
- Parks will remain open for exercise but gatherings will be dispersed
- Restrictions “under constant review” and will be checked again in three weeks. They will be relaxed “if the evidence shows we are able to”
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

manacheck
Favorite Zombie Movies: Train to Busan

Post by manacheck » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:13 pm

Michigan has followed suit almost exactly the same way.

The order, called "Stay Home, Stay Safe" goes into effect at midnight follows the same "three weeks and then we'll see" timeline. Source: https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus/0, ... --,00.html

A couple quotes from the linked press release:

"Today, Governor Gretchen Whitmer signed the “Stay Home, Stay Safe” Executive Order (EO 2020-21), directing all Michigan businesses and operations to temporarily suspend in-person operations that are not necessary to sustain or protect life.

“In just 13 days, we’ve gone from 0 to over 1,000 COVID-19 cases,” said Governor Whitmer. “This is an unprecedented crisis that requires all of us working together to protect our families and our communities. The most effective way we can slow down the virus is to stay home. I know this will be hard, but it will be temporary. If we all come together, get serious, and do our part by staying home, we can stay safe and save lives.”

"Workers that are necessary to sustain or protect life include those in health care and public health, law enforcement and public safety, grocery store workers, and more. For a full list of these critical infrastructure workers, click the link to Executive Order 2020-21 at the bottom of this page. "

(link to the order: https://www.michigan.gov/whitmer/0,9309 ... --,00.html)

"Michigan is currently in the top five states in the nation in number of confirmed COVID-19 cases. Several governors across the country have taken similar steps to protect their communities from the spread of COVID-19, including governors Mike DeWine (R-OH), Andrew Cuomo (D-NY), J.B. Pritzker (D-IL), Tom Wolf (D-PA), Gavin Newsom (D-CA), John Bel Edwards (D-LA), Phil Murphy (D-NJ), and Ned Lamont (D-CT)."
"It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

moab

Post by moab » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:58 pm

Just read that Trump has activated the National Guard in CA, WA and NY. Sounds like for support services.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/22/politics ... index.html
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

moab

Post by moab » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:22 pm

AT&T is allowing customers to push their bills out to 5-15-20. I would think other carriers and bills may be doing the same.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:40 pm

I'm old enough to remember when "Shelter in place" had a whole other meaning.

helps provide some perspective on this current 'crisis'.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:26 pm

moab wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:22 pm
AT&T is allowing customers to push their bills out to 5-15-20. I would think other carriers and bills may be doing the same.
I wonder how many people won't realize/understand that they'll just be getting a much higher bill then?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:43 pm

The local county to where I work declared SIP. Apparently work is trying to find out if we're considered essential employees...even though we have work-from-home set up and ready. I work for idiots, it's official.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:41 pm

moab wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:58 pm
Just read that Trump has activated the National Guard in CA, WA and NY. Sounds like for support services.

I realize I am being a little picky here but Trump did not activate the National Guard. If he had they would be Federalized under US control. Instead he has used the Emergency Declaration to fund State Activation of the National Guard. This is more than semantics. The governors will remain in control of the NG Units; but they don't have to pay the salaries or activation costs.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

moab

Post by moab » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:52 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:41 pm
moab wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:58 pm

I realize I am being a little picky here but Trump did not activate the National Guard. If he had they would be Federalized under US control. Instead he has used the Emergency Declaration to fund State Activation of the National Guard. This is more than semantics. The governors will remain in control of the NG Units; but they don't have to pay the salaries or activation costs.
Thank you for clarifying this. It sounds much better. Than Trump being in control of anything.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:44 pm

Well... It's in the top ten causes of death for the US...

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:08 pm

Tokyo 2020: Olympic and Paralympic Games postponed because of coronavirus
The Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games have been postponed until next year because of the worldwide coronavirus pandemic.

The event, due to begin on 24 July, will now take place "no later than summer 2021".

"I proposed to postpone for a year and [IOC] president Thomas Bach responded with 100% agreement," said Shinzo Abe, Japan's Prime Minister.

The event will still be called Tokyo 2020 despite taking place in 2021.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

TC

Post by TC » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:18 am

Holger Danske wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:23 pm
I just got back from my Primary Care Doc. I'm doing well, lungs sound much better. I can start working out again in 2 weeks. I told the Doc that I believe my covid test was a false negative based on my symptoms and the results of my CT scan. The hospital radiologist told me my lungs appeared as a textbook example of covid. Ground glass opacity in both lungs. My Doc pointed out that the nasopharyngeal test I took is only 70% accurate then asked me to stay isolated for another week, two if possible. I had to look it up so here is an awesome sleepy time article on the subject..... https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/10.1148/radiol.2020200642
Really glad you are doing better, Holger. Happy to say I am much better too. Only problem is that now that I’m out of my 7 days isolation I have to go back to work!

As far as the lockdown in London, it seems to be working better in some areas than in others. Hardly seemed to make any difference in the area I was working yesterday... I’m increasingly worried that this city is going to get hammered by this, more so because of people not listening than because of initial shortcomings in the government response. I never thought I’d say this but I think the restrictions and penalties will need to be stepped up very soon, as they are not effective at the moment and time is critically short.

The government has also converted a large exhibition and conference Centre here into a 4,000 person capacity field hospital, which gives some idea what we are heading into I think.
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

Ultra1974

Post by Ultra1974 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:22 am

I need to preface the question I am about to ask with the fact that I personally am a social distancing expert. I work in a remote location where I am the only employee. My company employes hundreds of people and most do not understand how I work completely alone. I keep plenty of supplies that I have avoided places like Walmart since this outbreak and really I avoid Walmart anyway.
In my town, they have closed down most businesses that would typically have social interaction (restaurants, bars, etc). Of course, Walmart is still open and I am seeing on social media friends that typically do not go to Walmart often posting pictures inside there. I feel this may be due to the social nature of most humans. If they cannot socialize in their normal places they will go wherever it is allowed. So having said all that, here is my question:

Can someone please explain to me how shutting down restaurants that have an average of about 1,000 square feet space that can hold about 40 people is more effective than funneling everyone into Walmart that has 100,000 square and has thousands of people pass through it every day touching shelves and product and possibly leaving the virus where it has proven it can survive for up to days?
If people are only allowed to go to a few certain places it stands to reason more people will go there.
More people in fewer places seems counterintuitive.
To put this into perspective if you have two rotten apples and you want to limit their exposure do you randomly put them in ten separate buckets of ten apples or put both rotten apples in a barrel of 100?
Someone please explain the logic.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:01 am

Yeah, it feels the way most places have gone through with "lockdowns" is pretty counterproductive. They should really be enforcing a max occupancy for stores. Folks are getting so stir crazy they're going to the grocery store more often just to get out of the house. Crazy packed even now that most of the initial "OMG we must buy all of the hash browns and toilet paper for the impending apocalypse" has worn off.

I know some places in Europe have a maximum occupancy for grocery stores right now, but haven't heard of anything in the US yet...

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:33 am

That's common practice in Canada now. At least busy stores. I went somewhere last night after work, too ashamed to say where, or for what ... But the store limit was 10, and the line up was over an hour long, everyone 6-8 feet apart. Typically this store would have held hundreds of shoppers. The line length fluctuated with the time of day and weather conditions.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

moab

Post by moab » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:33 am

Ultra1974 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:22 am
I need to preface the question I am about to ask with the fact that I personally am a social distancing expert. I work in a remote location where I am the only employee. My company employes hundreds of people and most do not understand how I work completely alone. I keep plenty of supplies that I have avoided places like Walmart since this outbreak and really I avoid Walmart anyway.
In my town, they have closed down most businesses that would typically have social interaction (restaurants, bars, etc). Of course, Walmart is still open and I am seeing on social media friends that typically do not go to Walmart often posting pictures inside there. I feel this may be due to the social nature of most humans. If they cannot socialize in their normal places they will go wherever it is allowed. So having said all that, here is my question:

Can someone please explain to me how shutting down restaurants that have an average of about 1,000 square feet space that can hold about 40 people is more effective than funneling everyone into Walmart that has 100,000 square and has thousands of people pass through it every day touching shelves and product and possibly leaving the virus where it has proven it can survive for up to days?
If people are only allowed to go to a few certain places it stands to reason more people will go there.
To put this into perspective if you have two rotten apples and you want to limit their exposure do you randomly put them in ten separate buckets of ten apples or put both rotten apples in a barrel of 100?
Here in LA they are limiting how many people can be in a store. Including Costco, Walmart and every other grocery store. Thus long lines outside. And fewer people in the stores. Costco even had people social distancing in line. They put tape lines down on the floor. And you couldn't move forward until the person in front of you had moved off their line.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:58 am

U.S. now has the third highest number of covid19 infected in the world. Right behind Italy
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:16 am

Ultra1974 wrote:

I think you're missing something, in that most SIP/lockdown orders only ban dine in eating. You can still go to restaurants and pick up or drive through.

Also, I've never seen a restaurant with 1,000 sq ft of dining space and seating for only 40 customers.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:18 am

flybynight wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:58 am
U.S. now has the third highest number of covid19 infected in the world. Right behind Italy
What is that as a proportion of the population, though? Seems like a more useful metric; the US does have 5 or so times Italy's population.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:20 am

boskone wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:18 am
flybynight wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:58 am
What is that as a proportion of the population, though? Seems like a more useful metric; the US does have 5 or so times Italy's population.
166/million for the US vs 1144 for Italy

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:38 am

BullOnParade wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:33 am
I went somewhere last night after work, too ashamed to say where, or for what ... But the store limit was 10, and the line up was over an hour long, everyone 6-8 feet apart.
It's alright. You can say "condoms" on this forum. ;)

Seriously, I expect a bump in births in 8-10 months.
Last edited by woodsghost on Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Ultra1974

Post by Ultra1974 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:39 am

boskone wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:16 am
Ultra1974 wrote:

I think you're missing something, in that most SIP/lockdown orders only ban dine in eating. You can still go to restaurants and pick up or drive through.

Also, I've never seen a restaurant with 1,000 sq ft of dining space and seating for only 40 customers.
I realize there's take out availability. It seems the nature of people going out is not as much for the ability to have someone cook your food as much as it is to be around other people.
A table and chairs that seat four people are typically going to take up at least 5'X5' space with room to walk etc. 5x5 is 25sq feet. 1,000/25=40 That is where I obtained my estimate.

Return to “All Things COVID-19”