Firearms Chat: [REDACTED - for your safety]

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by Langenator » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:19 pm

357 SIG (G31) barrel for my G22 arrived today. Ammo should be here next week. Along with a can (1080 rounds) of RoK surplus .30 carbine.

Hopefully the weather is good next weekend.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:06 pm

Langenator wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:19 pm
357 SIG (G31) barrel for my G22 arrived today. Ammo should be here next week. Along with a can (1080 rounds) of RoK surplus .30 carbine. Hopefully the weather is good next weekend.
Spam can?

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:14 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:06 pm
Langenator wrote:
357 SIG (G31) barrel for my G22 arrived today. Ammo should be here next week. Along with a can (1080 rounds) of RoK surplus .30 carbine. Hopefully the weather is good next weekend.
Spam can?
.50 cal can. Bandoliers and stripper clips.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:44 am

And I think the 9mm is slightly tapered
it tapers from 0.391 to 0.380.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:17 pm

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:59 pm

I went waaaaayyyy out to what the DNR calls a "primitive range" (unmanned, no vending machines) :wink: The JCP shot real nice. This one I can shoot, so the next step is to try a G22 and see how that goes. If the the Glock works out, G22, 23, 27, AR40.

after I win the lotto.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:06 pm

I got a Henry Golden Boy. It's a match (kinda) to my Ruger Wrangler, though I have to admit that it's way classier than the Wrangler. (I wonder how expensive it would be to get a brass frame milled for the Wrangler? Probably more than I actually care about them literally matching.)

My first thought was to replace the buckhorn sight with a peep sight. This is almost guaranteed to happen.

My second thought, caused by an article that came up in one of my feeds today, is that lever action .22s suppress really well. I'm kinda thinking now about having the muzzle of the Golden Boy threaded, and either thread my mkIII or get a prethreaded mkIV, and share a can between 'em. This is somewhat less likely, because it'd probably cost $900-1,000 (can, stamp, threading), and I just think I have a better use for the money.

But super-quiet pew pew would be really fun.

moab

Post by moab » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:08 pm

Langenator wrote:
357 SIG (G31) barrel for my G22 arrived today. Ammo should be here next week. Along with a can (1080 rounds) of RoK surplus .30 carbine.

What SIG ammo did you buy and from where?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:42 am

moab wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:08 pm
Langenator wrote:

What SIG ammo did you buy and from where?
200 rounds each, Speer Lawman 125 gr TMJ and Federal HST 125 gr JHP, from SGAmmo.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:33 am

boskone wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:06 pm
I got a Henry Golden Boy. It's a match (kinda) to my Ruger Wrangler, though I have to admit that it's way classier than the Wrangler. (I wonder how expensive it would be to get a brass frame milled for the Wrangler? Probably more than I actually care about them literally matching.)

My first thought was to replace the buckhorn sight with a peep sight. This is almost guaranteed to happen.

My second thought, caused by an article that came up in one of my feeds today, is that lever action .22s suppress really well. I'm kinda thinking now about having the muzzle of the Golden Boy threaded, and either thread my mkIII or get a prethreaded mkIV, and share a can between 'em. This is somewhat less likely, because it'd probably cost $900-1,000 (can, stamp, threading), and I just think I have a better use for the money.

But super-quiet pew pew would be really fun.
Ruger doesn't have a brass frame 22 revolver, but Uberti offers several.
https://www.uberti-usa.com/stallion-revolver
https://www.uberti-usa.com/1873-cattleman-22-revolver

A peep sight in place of the standard rear sight is a great upgrade. One thing to consider with the Henry rimfires is when you thread on a can, it'll block the removal of the loading tool in the magazine. Having to take the supressor on and off every 15 rounds to reload seems like a lot of trouble. But it would be a great squirrel gun!
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:22 pm

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:10 pm

How many of us practice this?

I never have.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:16 pm

Finally, Magpul is offering the LR/SR Pmag in coyote tan. :awesome:

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:48 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:33 am
One thing to consider with the Henry rimfires is when you thread on a can, it'll block the removal of the loading tool in the magazine. Having to take the supressor on and off every 15 rounds to reload seems like a lot of trouble. But it would be a great squirrel gun!
Hrm, hadn't though about the loading issue. Didn't see any QD rimfire cans, at least on silencershop, so it would be a bit of a pain for extended shooting sessions.

Still, I have 2 other suppressable guns, so it's kinda tempting to dip my toes into the quiet pew pew world with a .22 can. Not responsible, though (as I should reserve the funds for moving expenses and a potential new-to-me truck, or at least significant repairs to mine), but I'm thinking more and more seriously about the idea.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:05 am

RickOShea wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:16 pm
Finally, Magpul is offering the LR/SR Pmag in coyote tan. :awesome:

[img]
Canada is seemingly sold out of all LR/SR mags except the ten rounders, which most stocking dealers seem to have a handful.

Do they still make those sand/dye ready mags? Always thought they were a neat colour on their own, for desert dwellers at least.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:34 am

I'll post this here and in another thread. Basically, a guy in New Zealand put together a fantastic amount of information on ballistics and the effects of different bullets on game animals of various weights and sizes. He has books, but his web articles are fantastic! And long. It is a heavy read but very worth it! And he has multiple articles to read.

In short, ballistics gel only really tells you about the bullet in ballistics gel, so to find out what real bullets do, look at what they do in game. The bullet weight, the weight of the animal, the density of the animal, the speed of the bullet, and the construction of the bullet all matter and contribute to a fast, safe resolution to self-defense situations.

I'm learning a lot of my choices are driven by gel tests and those gel tests are driven by FBI LE requirements. This results in bullets that either work in very specific circumstances or bullets which work in a wide range of situations but may be less than optimal. I'm not knocking those bullets and I think LE and the FBI have made great choices given their scenarios but I think the hunting world is where I'll be looking for future choices. I'll be looking for bullets which shed lead into the target and lose weight as they burry deep. I'll also be looking for a higher velocity in my defensive ammo. The reasons why are these produce different effects on target and will be more "general purpose" bullets which I can also use for hunting. For more info, see the link below:

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowle ... lling.html
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:17 am

Took the Henry out to the range last Saturday. The rifle's great...except the rear sight, which is a "semi-buckhorn" and, IMO, terribly unimpressive. Bought a Skinner peep sight and got it on, and just from sighting on things around the house it's a vast improvement.

I suppose I lose the ability to have a decent short/long split, but don't see that as a major issue; in return it's faster and, I think, will prove more precise.

I also ordered some dovetail filler, and I'll try to at least mostly cover the now-superfluous dovetail in the barrel. Seems like a lot of people solder the filler in-place, but since I've never done that I think that (at least for now) I'll try just gluing it in place with threadlocker. If it comes out well and the threadlocker proves a problem, I can always go back and solder it in.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:52 am

boskone wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:17 am
Took the Henry out to the range last Saturday. The rifle's great...except the rear sight, which is a "semi-buckhorn" and, IMO, terribly unimpressive. Bought a Skinner peep sight and got it on, and just from sighting on things around the house it's a vast improvement.

I suppose I lose the ability to have a decent short/long split, but don't see that as a major issue; in return it's faster and, I think, will prove more precise.

I also ordered some dovetail filler, and I'll try to at least mostly cover the now-superfluous dovetail in the barrel. Seems like a lot of people solder the filler in-place, but since I've never done that I think that (at least for now) I'll try just gluing it in place with threadlocker. If it comes out well and the threadlocker proves a problem, I can always go back and solder it in.
Did you buy the Skinner dovetail filler? Show us some pics once you get that in place?
BullOnParade

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:25 am

boskone wrote:
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Henry rear sights either. In some of their early rifles they actually ran Skinner sights, I managed to find one of those in 30-30 and it's great out of the box. For the rest they definitely need something.

On that note I finally decided to order a rear peep sight for my Rossi lever gun and the guy who makes them isn't shipping until his wife recovers from surgery. The website offers no clue about how long the wait will be.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:27 pm

I'm standing in front of the mill procrastinating drilling my mares leg barrel for this rail I built last week ...imgur uploads are too big for the forum, I'll edit later ... Or not, it's chat.

https://i.imgur.com/N5Ny7k6.jpg[/img]]

I hope to use the end closest to the receiver as a fixed rear sight.
https://i.imgur.com/6eQIveg.jpg[/img]]

Clearance slot through the center of the rest of the rail
https://i.imgur.com/be0CWSh.jpg[/img]]

https://i.imgur.com/4rwAq4r.jpg[/img]]
BullOnParade

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:19 pm

Depending on how high your front sight is, UTG sells a little peep sight that'll probably fit on that rail, Bull.

Not sure if they're available in Canada, though.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:13 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:19 pm
Depending on how high your front sight is, UTG sells a little peep sight that'll probably fit on that rail, Bull.

Not sure if they're available in Canada, though.
I'll keep that in mind depending on how the notch works out. I made the rail as long as it is because I want to try a lpvo. I read on another forum a gentleman who uses one on his bump in the night gun to be able to focus the optic even if he doesn't have his glasses for whatever reason. I don't have glasses, but my wife does, and the mares leg is one of our camp security rifles.
BullOnParade

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:25 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:25 am
On that note I finally decided to order a rear peep sight for my Rossi lever gun and the guy who makes them isn't shipping until his wife recovers from surgery. The website offers no clue about how long the wait will be.
Skinner has some, dunno if your model is covered.

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:28 pm

BullOnParade wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:52 am
boskone wrote:

Did you buy the Skinner dovetail filler? Show us some pics once you get that in place?
I didn't like the round bit on top, so I got a stick of filler from Brownells which I can hopefully meld in better to the barrel.

If I get really ambitious, I might copy Skinner's aperture mounting hole. Probably not, though.

I'll post pics...if it doesn't come out like crap. :D

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”