Oy vey, yet another build. Trunk gun...needs a name.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Oy vey, yet another build. Trunk gun...needs a name.

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:28 pm

Well, it’s been maybe a year or more since I’ve started a new build, but my brother got me thinking about an AR pistol when we were doing a minor cross country drive from his place near Atlanta out to our nephew’s wedding in NC.

Always tempted to bring one of my SBRs, but even though they’re allowed in all the states where I normally travel, the paperwork to take them across state lines is a pain, and requires some lead time. Carrying a pistol is a given, but I like having more gun than needed if the situation were to present itself.

How’s that expression go? “If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.”

So how to get there without the paperwork? Why a pistol of course! Can’t believe I waited this long to build one, but frankly never really saw the need with my current SBR options. Now that I can see the finish line for real retirement, and the travel that will very likely accompany that milestone, I now have an actual need.

This will be a pretty low budget and low tech build compared to my others...but here we go. Target budget is ~$600 not including parts I already have on hand, and all in for under $1K. Initially gonna have it all in FDE/black, but will likely do a rattle can paint job on it before too long.

Bought a SB Tactical pistol brace on sale from Midway a couple days ago for under $180...should be here before the weekend:

Really, really wanted the Maxim Defense version, but honestly couldn’t justify the added expense...though I think I’ll regret not having those built-in QD points for a single-point sling... I’ll figure it out.

Ordered most of the rest of the parts from Pri Arms yesterday...and they’re already here! Damn they’re fast!

Helps that they’re just down the road a bit in Houston... Anyway, just over $300 in parts with the 12% off sale right now, but includes Magpul sights.

Aero Precision stripped upper already Cerakoted FDE: $63.35

Diamondback 8.5” barrel in 300BLK: $70.39

Ghost Firearms 7” MLok hand guard also already Cerakoted FDE: $87.12

Magpul MOE “slim line” pistol grip in FDE: $13.16

Magpul front/rear sights in FDE: $64.89

Already have most of the other parts needed for this build except for a muzzle device and trigger sitting in my spare parts drawer... Had an extra Spikes trigger, but gave it away at some point last year...and yes, well aware I’ll spend more on the muzzle device than any of the other upper parts if I go with an AAC 51T device to use with a couple of my cans....may just throw a thread protector on there for now.

Still need a lower receiver of course. Leaning towards an Aero Precision “Texas” lower:

...but will likely buy whatever I can find relatively cheap this week that’s already Cerakoted FDE.

Ordering an ALG defense QMC trigger and a Strike Industries charging handle from Pri Arms tonight...should be ~$75 for those shipped.

...more to follow, but looking for a name for this one. Have liberally applied “mind lube” tonight in the form of a nice bourbon in an Old Fashioned and so far the best I can come up with is “ Trunk Monkey” but that seems a bit too derivative.

Since it’ll be all tan, maybe George Hamilton?

What ideas from the hive mind?
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Stercutus

Re: Oy vey, yet another build. Trunk gun...needs a name.

Post by Stercutus » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:12 pm

What to name, what to name?

Helping Hand?
Smoking Boot(s)?
Packing Something?
127-GBH?

Clearly there is a theme here, I wonder what it is?
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:20 pm

Jimmy. Name it Jimmy, like that guy from the insurance commercial.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:21 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:12 pm
What to name, what to name?

Helping Hand?
Smoking Boot(s)?
Packing Something?
127-GBH?

Clearly there is a theme here, I wonder what it is?
Hmmm.. maybe “Puss” as in Puss in Boot(s), since it’ll live in the boot (well, actually under or behind the back seat of my truck) most of its life.

“Not a” (pronounced ‘nada’)...as in “not a rifle”?
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:23 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:20 pm
Already have one named Jimmy! :lol:

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:18 am

91Eunozs wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:23 pm
NT2C wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:20 pm
Already have one named Jimmy! :lol:
Grandma then. :mrgreen:

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:27 am

A couple quick pics before I turn in for the night. Was very pleased at how well it all fit together..the sole review for that hand guard was pretty poor, but this one fits great. Just hand-fitted here of course:

Found an old comp from my Ruger gunsite scout rifle...and one of my spare PSA bolt carriers (BCM bolt, cam pin, and firing pin though):

Still pondering whether I want to put a finger stop or a bottom-slung light on this one...not gonna be a lightweight build by a long shot, but also don’t want to turn this into a boat anchor.

More soon...

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:12 am

91Eunozs wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:28 pm
How’s that expression go? “If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.”

I like, "I just don't want to get killed for lack of shootin' back." https://youtu.be/PE9RDQw9ZL0?t=41

Please not Boaty Mac Boatface. :mrgreen: Didn't you already build one named Jimmy?
Here's a name generator for you to try out >> https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/rifle-names.php
You can click on 'other names' then click on "weapon names' and select a different subcategory for pistols, swords, mele etc. You can also generate names for your boats, cars and planes etc.

To bad it doesn't have a forum chat thread name generator catagory huh, NT2C?

Looking forward to this build.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:25 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:12 am
91Eunozs wrote:

I like, "I just don't want to get killed for lack of shootin' back." https://youtu.be/PE9RDQw9ZL0?t=41

Please not Boaty Mac Boatface. :mrgreen: Didn't you already build one named Jimmy?
Here's a name generator for you to try out >> https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/rifle-names.php
You can click on 'other names' then click on "weapon names' and select a different subcategory for pistols, swords, mele etc. You can also generate names for your boats, cars and planes etc.

To bad it doesn't have a forum chat thread name generator catagory huh, NT2C?

Looking forward to this build.
Thank you Gentleman MacWa77ace. I second the nomination Boaty mac Boatface as the new name.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:59 am

Gunny McGunface is the new leading candidate!

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:32 pm

I think I'm going to be at Ikea in Houston this weekend. I have a spare trigger if you want it, and we can manage a meet up.

Alternatively, I really like MBT-2s from LaRue, I think they're $80.
91Eunozs wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:59 am
Can I suggest a slight change, to properly encompass it's role? Something like "Trunky McGunface"? I know it doesn't quite follow the pattern, but I think it sounds better than "Gunny McTrunkgun", "Trunky McTrunkgun", or (especially) "Gunny McGuntrunk".

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:19 pm

boskone wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:32 pm
I think I'm going to be at Ikea in Houston this weekend. I have a spare trigger if you want it, and we can manage a meet up.

Alternatively, I really like MBT-2s from LaRue, I think they're $80.
91Eunozs wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:59 am
Can I suggest a slight change, to properly encompass it's role? Something like "Trunky McGunface"? I know it doesn't quite follow the pattern, but I think it sounds better than "Gunny McTrunkgun", "Trunky McTrunkgun", or (especially) "Gunny McGuntrunk".
Gunny McGuntruck... I like it!

Already pulled the trigger (pun entirely intended) on the ALG, but appreciated! Might run down to Houston to pick up a specific lower from Pri Arms if my local doesn’t have one ... Have to call them though, their web site (my LGS) is geared towards their range though, not sales.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:24 am

MacTrunkgun if you want it to be Scott's instead of Irish.

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Lettuce Pray
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: 40th and Plumb-- 40 miles from nowhere and plumb out of sight

Post by Lettuce Pray » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:42 pm

Well, all of my guns are named Bessy. For that matter, every vehicle of mine is named Bessy. Thankfully, I don't have to do rule call with them. :lol:

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:14 pm

Lettuce Pray wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:42 pm
Well, all of my guns are named Bessy. For that matter, every vehicle of mine is named Bessy. Thankfully, I don't have to do rule call with them. :lol:
What do you call your cow, "Vivian Penbrooke La Rue"?

Lettuce Pray
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: 40th and Plumb-- 40 miles from nowhere and plumb out of sight

Post by Lettuce Pray » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:27 pm

I suppose I would call her Bessy too if I had one. I don't own goats yet and haven't come up with a name for them. BTW, I really need a bulldog named Pete.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:37 pm

One step closer...

After losing not one, but two of those fiddly little e-clips that retain the ejection port door rod in place, I said screw it and just ordered one of those snap-in versions from Pri Arms:

One of these:

And since I was online, went ahead and ordered a lower receiver and AAC 51T flash hider...will drive down to Houston Saturday to pick ‘em up. Too cheap w/the discount and I couldn’t find anything locally. The irony is not lost on me that I spent more on the flash hider than any other part on the gun though. :roll:

Also went ahead and torqued the barrel on after cleaning and lubing the threads on the upper as well as the barrel nut.

One thing to consider when one spends tens, yes TENS of dollars on a barrel, is that it most likely wont be dimpled opposite the gas port. I really, really prefer dimpled barrels for a more secure gas block fit. Some of you may recall that I made a jig a couple years ago by drilling out an old gas block through the rear set screw hole, and all the way through the top so I can visually align the gas port:

I normally put it in the drill press from here, but it’s put away, and frankly this barrel was so cheap, I really didn’t want to take the time to get all fancy with, you know, actual shop tools! Just used a hand drill to “kiss” the barrel with a little pressure and stepped up the bit size until I had a decent dimple:

...jig slid up out of the way in this pic obviously.

After that, just a quick hit with the blueing pen:

...and gtg until I get the gas block installed, maybe tomorrow night after work.

Until then:

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:49 pm

Just back from dinner w/the family after a long day...at work for a couple hours, followed by a drive down to Houston and back with the wife to pick up the lower from Primary Arms. Have everything needed to knock out this build tomorrow:

The swag (stickers and a couple patches) was a nice surprise when I got the bag full of goodies! Their store front was a lot smaller than I expected...but then again, they’re mainly an on line seller and the store front is pretty much just for pick ups. Great group of folks though...you should definitely visit if in the area.

And the real reason my wife agreed to drive down with me... bbq at the original City Market bbq down in Luling (not that pretender in Austin) on the way down to Houston!

This is arguably the best bbq in all of Texas... seriously, it really is that good. By extension, the best bbq in the world! Definitely worth the short side trip off I-10 if you’re in the area.

JF89
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:09 am

91Eunozs wrote:
Well, it’s been maybe a year or more since I’ve started a new build, but my brother got me thinking about an AR pistol when we were doing a minor cross country drive from his place near Atlanta out to our nephew’s wedding in NC.

Always tempted to bring one of my SBRs, but even though they’re allowed in all the states where I normally travel, the paperwork to take them across state lines is a pain, and requires some lead time. Carrying a pistol is a given, but I like having more gun than needed if the situation were to present itself.

So how to get there without the paperwork? Why a pistol of course! Can’t believe I waited this long to build one, but frankly never really saw the need with my current SBR options. Now that I can see the finish line for real retirement, and the travel that will very likely accompany that milestone, I now have an actual need.

This will be a pretty low budget and low tech build compared to my others...but here we go. Target budget is ~$600 not including parts I already have on hand, and all in for under $1K. Initially gonna have it all in FDE/black, but will likely do a rattle can paint job on it before too long.

Bought a SB Tactical pistol brace on sale from Midway a couple days ago for under $180...should be here before the weekend:

Really, really wanted the Maxim Defense version, but honestly couldn’t justify the added expense...though I think I’ll regret not having those built-in QD points for a single-point sling... I’ll figure it out.

Ordered most of the rest of the parts from Pri Arms yesterday...and they’re already here! Damn they’re fast!

Helps that they’re just down the road a bit in Houston... Anyway, just over $300 in parts with the 12% off sale right now, but includes Magpul sights.

Aero Precision stripped upper already Cerakoted FDE: $63.35

Diamondback 8.5” barrel in 300BLK: $70.39

Ghost Firearms 7” MLok hand guard also already Cerakoted FDE: $87.12

Magpul MOE “slim line” pistol grip in FDE: $13.16

Magpul front/rear sights in FDE: $64.89

Already have most of the other parts needed for this build except for a muzzle device and trigger sitting in my spare parts drawer... Had an extra Spikes trigger, but gave it away at some point last year...and yes, well aware I’ll spend more on the muzzle device than any of the other upper parts if I go with an AAC 51T device to use with a couple of my cans....may just throw a thread protector on there for now.

Still need a lower receiver of course. Leaning towards an Aero Precision “Texas” lower:

...but will likely buy whatever I can find relatively cheap this week that’s already Cerakoted FDE.

Ordering an ALG defense QMC trigger and a Strike Industries charging handle from Pri Arms tonight...should be ~$75 for those shipped.

...more to follow, but looking for a name for this one. Have liberally applied “mind lube” tonight in the form of a nice bourbon in an Old Fashioned and so far the best I can come up with is “ Trunk Monkey” but that seems a bit too derivative.

Since it’ll be all tan, maybe George Hamilton?

Hilary

Or

Fido

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:11 am

One last pic before I hit the hay...most of the big parts loosely assembled; ready to take out to the bench tomorrow to build up this “pistol”...

...will do a group pic of it and my SBRs tomorrow to play the “one of these things is not like the others” game.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:56 am

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:32 pm

^. Lulz...

Not a lot of pics...it was such a gorgeous day, took the fam to the lake for a bonfire and s’mores. And to reload the game camera chips on our property up there of course! Gonna have to spend some time up there overnight...lots and lots of porcine activity with all the acorns on the ground. Looks like someone went through with a skid steer in a few areas under the oak trees.

Regardless, did the gas block ( no pics), and installed the hand guard using an old ACOG mount to align the rails:

... and then swapped out the muzzle device for the AAC 51T flash hider. Was very pleased that it lined up perfectly with a slot on top (my preferred mounting) with no shims required:

Got the rear take down pin as well as the buffer detent in with no drama:

Even got the front one in on the second try...with no lost detents for once!

No pics, but the new ALG trigger went in easily...love that they include an installation pin just like with the much more expensive Geissele triggers they make. Repurposed an old B.A.D. ambi selector switch after repainting the levers tan.

Maybe it was the neighbor’s cat swinging by for some dog food warding off the build gremlins today...

Whatever the reason, it passed a functioned check before we headed out, and I even had time to put a couple subsonic rounds through it up on the property; sounded like a nail gun... :lol: Love shooting 300BLK subs with a decent can.

Will try to get it to the range for a 25-yard zero some time in the next couple weeks, but overall really enjoying this “pistol”...can’t believe I waited so long to build one.

Will get a family photo with the SBRs later but here’s a quick hero shot for now:

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:04 pm

Man, you're giving me the itch to build a pistol. Maybe in Stealth Gray, which I rather like.

I don't need to build an AR pistol. I have no need of an AR pistol. I do need to save money. I'm probably going to end up building a damned AR pistol. :roll:

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:25 pm

boskone wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:04 pm
Man, you're giving me the itch to build a pistol. Maybe in Stealth Gray, which I rather like.

I don't need to build an AR pistol. I have no need of an AR pistol. I do need to save money. I'm probably going to end up building a damned AR pistol. :roll:
It’s addictive... for sure! :lol:

Come over to the dark side!

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”