Firearms Chat: [REDACTED - for your safety]

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:37 am

boskone wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:29 pm
I just stumbled across a $400 BCG. :shock: The Surefire Enhanced BCG.

And I thought I splurged on a TiN BCG.
I saw that on an episode of "Guns and Ammo TV" awhile back.

It was interesting enough that I looked it up (Guns and Ammo TV doesn't show the prices on the stuff they feature, which can be irritating.), found the price and immediately went "Nope."

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:16 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:37 am
boskone wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:29 pm
I just stumbled across a $400 BCG. :shock: The Surefire Enhanced BCG.

And I thought I splurged on a TiN BCG.
I saw that on an episode of "Guns and Ammo TV" awhile back.

It was interesting enough that I looked it up (Guns and Ammo TV doesn't show the prices on the stuff they feature, which can be irritating.), found the price and immediately went "Nope."
Pretty much the same for me, except InRange TV.

They seemed to really like it, but I just can't see it making $400 difference; that's a significant portion of the cost of my more expensive AR.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:21 pm

I think the single most expensive part I've got on my AR right now is the Geiselle charging handle I bought a few months ago.

That thing was 75 bucks and I felt kind of dumb for spending that much on one part. So I'd probably feel really dumb spending 400 bucks on a BCG.

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:56 pm

I finally broke down and bought a spares kit for my AR.

I was fiddling with the lower, tool the bolt catch off, and while re-installing manage to sproing the bolt catch piston...somewhere. It's probably in the garage, but from what other AR builders have said it's entirely possible it's just slipped through a wormhole. That's apparently pretty common with the brass detents, and it's not all that much larger.

Relatedly, my gunsmithing/maintenance supplies have outgrown my 3-drawer toolbox. I'm thinking of "upgrading" to a cheapie Craftsman rolling box that's on sale for nearly half-price at Lowe's; it's not great, but it's larger, inexpensive, and I think will be good enough for my current needs.

(I'll buy or build something better once I can get into a proper shop.)

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:23 pm

When it comes to tool storage and gun safe, find the absolute largest QUALITY item you can afford, then save up to double it.
Whatever you reasonably expect to need is usually a little less than half of what you should have.
Fortunately for me - tractor supply has their 64 gun safe marked way down for idiot Friday with free ship to store.. and I can pick it up next week once the madness has passed.
I just wish you could choose the door swing. Since it's going next to another cannon 64, it would be nice if they opened opposite each other.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:48 pm

LOL. I did buy my Mom a .380 a while back, but otherwise I don't own any guns in these calibers. :rofl:

TFB - TFB’s Top 10 Calibers for Gun Hipsters

Everyone knows that one guy who won’t shut up about his meme caliber. He will find any and every excuse to talk about it, show you pictures of it and tell you about its amazing terminal ballistics. Despite a cornucopia of overwhelming evidence against why his particular caliber isn’t all that great, he will nevertheless insist. So all you gun hipsters grab your Macbook, slip on your skinny jeans and get ready to blog about how wrong we are at Starbucks while you blast the latest Decemberists album.

*ETA: Unless I missed one somewhere, I only counted nine on their list. So what Hipster caliber is missing: .17 HMR, .22 TCM, .327 mag, .357 Sig, .277 Wolverine...????
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:02 pm

TTAG - 59-Year-Old Texas Woman Killed in Feral Hog Attack

No, she wasn’t hunting. No, she wasn’t out in the sticks somewhere. Chirstine Rollins was visiting the home of a client in Anahuac, Texas, an exurb east of Houston just south of I-10 when she was set upon by feral hogs.

From the scene the local sheriff found, it appears that she was attacked in her client’s yard after she got out of her car in the home’s driveway early Sunday morning.

As Sheriff Hawthorne says in his statement above, Rollins died due to exsanguination due to feral hog assault. In other words, she bled to death after the pigs attacked and bit her multiple times.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:56 pm

Did they havta use red and blue on the map?!?
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:53 pm

On a similar note. I was looking up some info on something from my hometown and ran across the story that since our moving away in 2006 my former area is now over run by urban coyotes.

https://torranceca.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 19603eeab4
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:16 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:48 pm
LOL. I did buy my Mom a .380 a while back, but otherwise I don't own any guns in these calibers. :rofl:

Everyone knows that one guy who won’t shut up about his meme caliber. He will find any and every excuse to talk about it, show you pictures of it and tell you about its amazing terminal ballistics. Despite a cornucopia of overwhelming evidence against why his particular caliber isn’t all that great, he will nevertheless insist. So all you gun hipsters grab your Macbook, slip on your skinny jeans and get ready to blog about how wrong we are at Starbucks while you blast the latest Decemberists album.

*ETA: Unless I missed one somewhere, I only counted nine on their list. So what Hipster caliber is missing: .17 HMR, .22 TCM, .327 mag, .357 Sig, .277 Wolverine...????
But, but... my LCP II fits so nicely in my sweats and will do the job at close range. :gonk:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:56 pm

RickOShea wrote:

I posited .45 Super and .45 SMC. They're almost but not quite .45 ACP, which sounds just perfect for hipsters. :D

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:24 am

boskone wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:56 pm
RickOShea wrote:

I posited .45 Super and .45 SMC. They're almost but not quite .45 ACP, which sounds just perfect for hipsters. :D
.22-250 Rem. It's not just for prairie dogs anymore.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:18 pm

Asking nicely...could the name of the thread be changed to perhaps... Electric "Avenue?" I've seen a notice, and more recently heard a report on NPR that the other word is being tied more and more closely to extremists. I am not, so... the center must hold. Wouldn't want people happening upon this site through a word search and get the wrong idea. God Bless, Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:24 pm

Hehe... that didn't take long
In the interest of political correctness I vote we change the name of this thread to BOATY MAC BOATFACE . (at least until this is also linked to extremists ideology :awesome: )

ETA.... or we reach 50 pages

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:48 pm

flybynight wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:24 pm
In the interest of political correctness I vote we change the name of this thread to BOATY MAC BOATFACE . (at least until this is also linked to extremists ideology :awesome: )

50 is an arbitrary number.

Just sayin'.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:08 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:48 pm
flybynight wrote:

Just sayin'.
I remember we had a CHAT thread go over 500 pages a few years back. Not quite sure what the highest Firearms CHAT thread got, but I do remember when ZS didn't have the 50 page limit.

I actually kind of prefer the way it is now. Less chance of the forum going wonky when the mods nuke an old thread like in the years previous.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:44 pm

Other possible contenders for the name change
Godzilla vrs. the Yeet Cannon
Loose lips sink ships but a Glock makes a Lousy Anchor
Quick draw Mac Boatface
Pistol Packing Safe Space
Flinging Bullets for Fun and Profit
Zombie Gun Chat ( Now with more bullets )

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:05 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:08 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
flybynight wrote:

Just sayin'.
I remember we had a CHAT thread go over 500 pages a few years back. Not quite sure what the highest Firearms CHAT thread got, but I do remember when ZS didn't have the 50 page limit.

I actually kind of prefer the way it is now. Less chance of the forum going wonky when the mods nuke an old thread like in the years previous.
All that history...lost :(

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:48 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:05 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:08 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
flybynight wrote:

Just sayin'.

All that history...lost :(
There was some good stuff that was lost, I'll admit that.

Some of it was good advice, funny anecdotes and stories, and posts from folks who haven't visited ZS in years.

Folks like Jaybird, Zoltan, Amy Elizabeth, Oneswunk, Bonanacrom and others whose names I've sadly forgotten.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:08 am

Asymetryczna wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:18 pm
Asking nicely...could the name of the thread be changed to perhaps... Electric "Avenue?" I've seen a notice, and more recently heard a report on NPR that the other word is being tied more and more closely to extremists. I am not, so... the center must hold. Wouldn't want people happening upon this site through a word search and get the wrong idea. God Bless, Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Then the extremists win.

If they want to co-opt the word then they need to fight us for it.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:07 am

NT2C wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:08 am
Asymetryczna wrote:
Then the extremists win.

Yes agreed, and as a secondary selfish reason, I don't want the possibility if BOATY MAC BOATFACE overshadowing my visits here. :mrgreen:
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:47 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:07 am
NT2C wrote:
Asymetryczna wrote:
Then the extremists win.

Yes agreed, and as a secondary selfish reason, I don't want the possibility if BOATY MAC BOATFACE overshadowing my visits here. :mrgreen:
Ahhhh. It is ever the plan and device of the dark one to cause good men to fight amongst themselves.

WHERE'S TWIZLER? We need a poll

The choices are

1 Don't change the name (screw the Nazis and the JDL. We be zombie Squad and don't take no Guff)

B. Boaty Mac Boatface

3. Godzilla Vrs. the Yeet Cannon

G. M-1 carbine with seven cartridge's and no front sight

2. Leinad pepperbox pistol in .410
Last edited by flybynight on Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:56 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
NT2C wrote:
Asymetryczna wrote:
Then the extremists win.

Good gawd man, I may be a jackboot wearing, spammer stompin, ban hammer swinging moderator, but I'm not totally cruel and evil!

I'd at least change it to SHOOTY MAC SHOOTFACE

:twisted:

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:30 am

NT2C wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:56 am
MacWa77ace wrote:
NT2C wrote:
Asymetryczna wrote:
Then the extremists win.

Good gawd man, I may be a jackboot wearing, spammer stompin, ban hammer swinging moderator, but I'm not totally cruel and evil!

I'd at least change it to SHOOTY MAC SHOOTFACE

:twisted:
Got it...………. Two votes for Boaty Mac Boatface . Got to admit , didn't think you two would be on board for that name . But you seem all in

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”