Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

Post by NT2C » Wed May 15, 2019 1:05 am

boskone wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:33 pm
Langenator wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:19 pm
You're lucky...I tried to go to my local outdoor range and it was closed because all the rain over the last week or so (on top of an extremely wet fall and winter) has turned everything to mud out there.

First the Russians engage in info ops during the election. Then they send raputitsa to Texas. What next?
Arrowhead, or Gunsmoke? Or is there another, decent one that's not $1,000/yr.

I'm seriously contemplating calling in sick to work on Friday with a lead gunsmoke deficiency.
FTFY :wink:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Wed May 15, 2019 9:51 am

boskone wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:33 pm
Langenator wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:19 pm
You're lucky...I tried to go to my local outdoor range and it was closed because all the rain over the last week or so (on top of an extremely wet fall and winter) has turned everything to mud out there.

First the Russians engage in info ops during the election. Then they send raputitsa to Texas. What next?
Arrowhead, or Gunsmoke? Or is there another, decent one that's not $1,000/yr.

I'm seriously contemplating calling in sick to work on Friday with a lead deficiency.
Marksman Outdoor, off FM 2038 between FM 1179 and TX21.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat May 18, 2019 2:15 am

Okay, why the hell haven't you people told me about this guy? Holy shit he's fun to listen to!

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue May 21, 2019 10:10 pm

Ultimate Retro CAR-15: 1989 Delta Force Edition

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed May 22, 2019 12:25 am

Brownell's has their 10/22 components on sale. Really, really tempted to buy a receiver and put together a custom 10/22 takedown.

I should be a good boy, though, and not blow money on a .22 rifle I don't need. ...any of you Texas guys interested in a lightly-used 10/22? :D

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed May 22, 2019 12:32 pm

boskone wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:25 am
Brownell's has their 10/22 components on sale. Really, really tempted to buy a receiver and put together a custom 10/22 takedown.

I should be a good boy, though, and not blow money on a .22 rifle I don't need. ...any of you Texas guys interested in a lightly-used 10/22? :D
The sale has it their inventory pretty hard. You will have to go through other vendors to get a complete rifle. But the prices are decent.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed May 22, 2019 7:59 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:32 pm
boskone wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:25 am

The sale has it their inventory pretty hard. You will have to go through other vendors to get a complete rifle. But the prices are decent.
I would actually be inclined to build from just a takedown receiver anyway.

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Wed May 22, 2019 9:56 pm

Wow, it's been several years since I've been on here, and it's still lots of the same guys and up to chat volume 6 now! Ha. Looking for info/opinions from you fine folks. I posted this over in the "Help me build my AR thread", but figured it'd be alright to post in the random chat as well.

I'm looking for any opinions/info on what would be the strongest handguard/barrel nut combo that is currently available, for an AR15. I've been looking at everything from monolithic uppers to forends that attach to standard barrel nuts. Here's the already established qualifications/considerations:
-strongest attachment method
-strongest actual handguard
-barrel is a 5.56 mid-length 16"
-micro block
-leaning towards the Vltor MUR upper receiver, but not dead set on it, upper needs to be 7075 forged
-weight isn't really being considered, as the primary goal is ruggedness/"fail-proof"-ness of the rail
-lower receiver hasn't been selected yet, so if the suggested rail goes with a specific proprietary upper, a monolithic upper, or can be selective about mating up to certain lowers, it's not an issue, but please advise

Secondary considerations:
-not flexing, but I'm not really that concerned with it, as the other criteria should take care of this issue
-preferably no full-length quad rails, but not completely opposed to it
-preferably MLok, not keymod
-length is negotiable, but being a 16" middy that throws out pistol and carbine lengths
NT2C wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:15 am
Okay, why the hell haven't you people told me about this guy? Holy shit he's fun to listen to!

Yeah, Clint is hilarious. Check out a youtuber named Wranglerstar, and the class he and his wife took with Clint. Pretty entertaining.
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed May 22, 2019 10:28 pm

I think if I ever build another 10/22, it'll probably be a Charger pistol with a folding brace.Image

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed May 22, 2019 10:48 pm

Now THIS is how you set-up a Hi-Point. :awesome:

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri May 24, 2019 12:41 pm

My wife just came in and handed me a .380 HST round she found clunking around in the dryer. :shock:

It must have come from a pair of my sweats (I usually carry my LCP II in my sweats with a full mag but nothing chambered and chamber one if going outside the house, then top off the mag with the loose round) but it's been at least a month now since I "lost" that round after switching to a clean pair. Sure glad it didn't get hot enough to cook off. :shock:

I'll have to try it next time I head to the range or my buddy's place and see if the round will still fire, be a dud, or be a squib round.

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri May 24, 2019 9:17 pm

NT2C wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:41 pm
My wife just came in and handed me a .380 HST round she found clunking around in the dryer. :shock:

It must have come from a pair of my sweats (I usually carry my LCP II in my sweats with a full mag but nothing chambered and chamber one if going outside the house, then top off the mag with the loose round) but it's been at least a month now since I "lost" that round after switching to a clean pair. Sure glad it didn't get hot enough to cook off. :shock:

I'll have to try it next time I head to the range or my buddy's place and see if the round will still fire, be a dud, or be a squib round.
I found a .22lr in the dryer a few weeks ago. I heard it banging around, but figured I left my badge on my shirt again.

It actually kinda freaked me out, since if any round were going to go off I'd think it would be a rimfire.

Hadn't thought to try and shoot it, though.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri May 24, 2019 9:29 pm

boskone wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:17 pm
I'd expect that a rimfire wouldn't seal against water very well, but centerfire HST rounds have sealer around the primer pocket and I think the case mouth too, so it may have dry powder and a still good primer. It'll be interesting to test it and see.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri May 24, 2019 10:00 pm

boskone wrote:
NT2C wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:41 pm

I found a .22lr in the dryer a few weeks ago. I heard it banging around, but figured I left my badge on my shirt again.

It actually kinda freaked me out, since if any round were going to go off I'd think it would be a rimfire.

Well , load up the drier and fire a few rounds
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri May 24, 2019 11:48 pm

NT2C wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:29 pm
boskone wrote:
I'd expect that a rimfire wouldn't seal against water very well, but centerfire HST rounds have sealer around the primer pocket and I think the case mouth too, so it may have dry powder and a still good primer. It'll be interesting to test it and see.
Just make sure you use a rest and a long string, otherwise we'll have to start calling you "Stumpy" if the round goes KABOOM in the wrong way. :shock:

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat May 25, 2019 9:54 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:48 pm
NT2C wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:29 pm
boskone wrote:
Just make sure you use a rest and a long string, otherwise we'll have to start calling you "Stumpy" if the round goes KABOOM in the wrong way. :shock:
Yeah... I really can't see any reason running a round through a washer and dryer would make it more explosive so I think I'll take my chances. (I'm not going to load more than the one round, just in case it's a squib and causes a barrel obstruction - in which case it's an easy matter to tap the bullet back out using a dowel and a mallet)

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat May 25, 2019 11:01 am

A washer and dryer might cause set back which could raise it to dangerously high pressures. It's only $1, I'd just throw it away.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat May 25, 2019 11:22 am

Stercutus wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:01 am
A washer and dryer might cause set back which could raise it to dangerously high pressures. It's only $1, I'd just throw it away.
Dial caliper says it's the same height as a random sampling of rounds from a fresh box.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat May 25, 2019 12:25 pm

First I think we need to all be more careful, random bullets in places they should could be a bad thing especially in a hot environment.

I found a .223 in the dryer :shock: the other day. It was sealed (home job), I did what NT2C did and checked it and it was same COL as my others, it fired just fine.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat May 25, 2019 4:04 pm

Got back from my first range trip with the Garand. On the whole, I'm happy with it.

No Garand thumb; having unsmashed digits is a good thing in my book.

It never did snap fully closed after loading, I had to give the lever a smack each time. Apparently that's not unusual, so I'm unconcerned.

No issues shooting, though the throw pattern was odd. It start out throwing brass almost directly forward, then on about the 3rd or 4th clip suddenly started throwing it to about 4 o'clock. I guess some part finally wore in, or some grease redistributed itself.

There were some negative factors which contributed to the ~4MOA I was shooting:

One, I can't see orange-on-white targets at 100yd worth a damn, so I was using the total size of the paper as my POA. Next time I'll make sure to have higher-contrast targets.

The benches are too low for me, so I end up in a weird crouched position; like my upper half is prone, but I'm sitting. I think next time I'm going to haul along my shooting mat and set up to the side of the benches (the range I went to has a lane along the side of the shooting pit, which terminates at the 200yd targets; usually people on the right-most benches shoot 100yd and 200yd) so I can take proper sitting and prone positions.

I'm not used to the sights yet. The front blade is far larger than I'm used to. Kinda thinking about taking it apart and seeing if I can paint a yellow or bright green triangle, with the upper point being right smack in the middle of the upper edge of the blade. I'm going to hold off on this for a few more sessions, though, before making a decision.

I wish I'd brought my Grendel, since the 200yd lanes were clear for once. A friend of mine should get his own Garand in the next week or two and we'll probably head to the range, so I'll hope it's just as clear then.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat May 25, 2019 4:36 pm

There used to be a vintage military rifle club at one of the local ranges. A co-worker of mine used to go to all their matches. I went with him a couple of times, and actually didn't do to bad with an old 98K 8mm I have.

But most of the club members were older retirees, and they eventually went from having their matches on Saturdays to having them on Tuesdays, when the range wasn't as busy. That was a good 10 years ago. I don't know if they are still around.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Sun May 26, 2019 8:29 am

If the front sight is too wide for your taste, you can always replace it with a National Match version. https://www.ammogarand.com/m1-garand-m1 ... 14062.html
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun May 26, 2019 1:39 pm

Fulton Armory has a lot of Garand parts & accessories.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun May 26, 2019 2:28 pm

Langenator wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:29 am
If the front sight is too wide for your taste, you can always replace it with a National Match version. https://www.ammogarand.com/m1-garand-m1 ... 14062.html
RickOShea wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 1:39 pm
Fulton Armory has a lot of Garand parts & accessories.
I knew about both of those sites, yet never thought to look for something as complex and unlikely as a replacement front sight. :oops:

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”