What have you bought in the last 48 hours?(firearms related)

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Re: What have you bought in the last 48 hours?(firearms related)

Post by NT2C » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:53 am

1x 20 Round Box - 45 Auto 210 Grain Federal Hydra-Shok Deep Personal Defense Hollow Point Ammo
2x 50 Round Box - 380 Auto 95 Grain FMJ Ammo by Fiocchi
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:17 am

A set of dies and 37 brass cases in 577-450 for my Gahendra.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:49 am

An extended mag for a Glock 42...a gun I don’t even own!

Taking the wife to the range to try one (rental) in our continuing search for the perfect purse gun for her. Tried the Springfield 911 and Sig 238, but both were too “snappy” for her, and she’s still not comfortable shooting a 9mm in any flavor we’ve tried so far...let alone any of our .45s. Le sigh...

She really enjoys shooting .22LR though; especially suppressed. It has to be her idea...just trying to find something small enough, yet with better performance. Hope she works her way up the ladder as she gets more comfortable with additional power.

Not gonna push it, but will continue to provide opportunity and instruction from me and professionals.

Finger’s crossed.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:14 am

91Eunozs wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:49 am

Taking the wife to the range to try one (rental) in our continuing search for the perfect purse gun for her. Tried the Springfield 911 and Sig 238, but both were too “snappy” for her, and she’s still not comfortable shooting a 9mm in any flavor we’ve tried so far...let alone any of our .45s. Le sigh...

She really enjoys shooting .22LR though; especially suppressed. It has to be her idea...just trying to find something small enough, yet with better performance. Hope she works her way up the ladder as she gets more comfortable with additional power.

Not gonna push it, but will continue to provide opportunity and instruction from me and professionals.

Finger’s crossed.
Bersa Thunder might be good for her. All steel frame gives it more weight, less "snap".

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:27 am

NT2C wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:14 am
91Eunozs wrote:

Finger’s crossed.
Bersa Thunder might be good for her. All steel frame gives it more weight, less "snap".
Bersa is a good option, or maybe the Smith Shield 380 EZ thing. Don't remember the exact name.

Bought some cheap commie ammo for my camp gun aka SKS aka Svetlana
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:45 am

NT2C wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:14 am
91Eunozs wrote:

Finger’s crossed.
Thought about that, and even recommended a heavier or larger pistol for exactly that reason... she wants it to be as light as possible. I thought about explaining the physics of inertia and recoil, but then thought about the equal and opposite reaction I’d get from her!

She wants what she wants...light and easy to shoot. .22LR/.22WMR fills that bill; at least for now. Don’t want to go down the .25 or .32 road either...she may as well carry the little .22 she trains with.

We’ll get there...eventually. At this point I’m just happy she has great situational awareness, good shooting mechanics, and most importantly handles her firearm very responsibly/safely (muzzle and trigger finger discipline, etc.).

Also happy that our daughter (14 now!) is a already a great shot, and that our son is already out shooting me with my 1911s. Hope for the future!

OT: also bought some .380 ammo for the test run! :mrgreen:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:17 pm

I went down that .380 road a few years ago with my Mum. I borrowed a Bersa from one friend, and a Ruger LC380 from another. She definitely liked the Ruger better. Even though the LC380 was a couple ounces lighter than the Thunder, it's locked breech design was less "snappy" than the blowback Bersa....

...She liked my M&P22 the most. :rofl:

That being said, she ended-up choosing the Bersa. She really wanted a laser, and she really, really liked the Crimson Trace grips on the Bersa. :ooh:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:02 pm

Cheek rest for the buttstock on the Ruger PC9. Needed to boost it up a little with the RDS.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:57 pm

Well, the G42 mag is no longer for a gun I don’t own. Purchased one under the Blue Label program for $360 plus tax; then promptly spent another $330 on mods (complete trigger assembly including new springs and 3.5# disconnector, tungsten guide rod with slightly softer recoil springs, titanium nitride-coated safety plunger, +2 mag extensions) from the Glockstore. :?

Pics in the handgun forum when the parts come in...

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:14 pm

Another Plano All Weather Tactical Gun Case, 42-Inch for travel by air with the Ruger PC9

An Olight PL-2 Valkyrie 1200 Lumen LED Pistol Light
More Rand CLP supplies
And a pretty decent cleaning kit I can strap to one of my range bags and make more room inside them for other stuff.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:46 pm

NT2C wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:14 pm
Another Plano All Weather Tactical Gun Case, 42-Inch for travel by air with the Ruger PC9

More Rand CLP supplies
And a pretty decent cleaning kit I can strap to one of my range bags and make more room inside them for other stuff.
I have several Plano cases. Good cases.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:11 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:46 pm
NT2C wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:14 pm

More Rand CLP supplies
I have several Plano cases. Good cases.
I have several also. Been using their tackle boxes for decades now. One was my personal trauma kit back when I drove ambulances for a living, long before they started purpose making them for that. I also have a lot of Pelican cases I use to store my radios and radio gear in.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:53 pm

• 12 pack of Surefire CR123a batteries
  • Long gun cleaning mat w/parts tray
  • roll pin punch set
  • folding hex key set
  • folding screwdriver set

echo83

Post by echo83 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:14 pm

Hoppe's .30 caliber boresnake This thing is amazing. I was skeptical, so I ran it through after mineral spirits and a copper-wire jag, because I didn't want it gummed up by cosmoline on it's first use. I'm a believer now. Can't really see ever going back to brushes and patches unless I'm looking to kill time.

Raiseek 7.62 cleaning kit Cheap, straightforward cleaning kit. Brushes, jags and other attachments are Hoppe's level or better. Cleaning rod itself is an order of magnitude better.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:23 pm

I may actually use it for non-firearm things, like radios and tools, but it was purchased with storage for all my pistols at once in mind:

Guardian Weapons Case - XXL

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri May 03, 2019 11:42 am

Just bought one of these (in red) because I'm doing a black/red theme with my shotty and this will replace the exact same RDS that's already on it but in black.

(link for those who want to know what it is without having to click: Dagger Defense (Color: Red) DDHT Red Dot Reflex sight

For those curious about it, the sight works awesome on my shotty. At the range meetup I went to a few weeks back they had steel silhouettes out at 100 yards and with the sight I was doing easy headshots on them with Federal 1 ounce slugs.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat May 04, 2019 2:23 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:23 pm
I may actually use it for non-firearm things, like radios and tools, but it was purchased with storage for all my pistols at once in mind:

Well, it arrived today and to say I'm disappointed would be a small understatement. The case, while having good latches and a seemingly heavy and rugged body, lacks any possible way of locking it. No padlock tabs, nothing, not even any way that I can see to add a locking system. It's also a lot smaller than I expected but that's my fault for not noticing that the latches stick out quite far on the case, increasing the overall exterior size without the interior being proportionally sized. :(

It will still get used, probably for tools or radios, but yeah, it's not what I expected and not really worth even the clearance price that I paid for it.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Sat May 04, 2019 2:38 pm

250 rounds of Remington FMJ 9mm. Just because someone was selling it for 14 cents per round.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat May 04, 2019 3:45 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 2:23 pm
NT2C wrote:

Well, it arrived today and to say I'm disappointed would be a small understatement. The case, while having good latches and a seemingly heavy and rugged body, lacks any possible way of locking it. No padlock tabs, nothing, not even any way that I can see to add a locking system. It's also a lot smaller than I expected but that's my fault for not noticing that the latches stick out quite far on the case, increasing the overall exterior size without the interior being proportionally sized. :(

It will still get used, probably for tools or radios, but yeah, it's not what I expected and not really worth even the clearance price that I paid for it.
Might try Harbor Freight's Apache cases, if you have a HF locally. They seem pretty well reviewed, in keeping with the rule of thumb that HF's value goes down as the number of parts goes up. :)

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat May 04, 2019 4:08 pm

Went a little wild with M1 stuff:
  • 16oz tub of Lubriplate (grease recommended for Garands, since I don't use grease on by other guns)
  • 10 dummy cartridges
  • Tekmat M1 Garand mat
  • Replica buttstock cleaning kit (don't see myself using it, but it was $13)
  • Little grease pots, to eventually go in the buttstock as part of the cleaning kit
  • Lock screw wrench for the gas tube lock screw
  • Receiver insert; bright orange thing that can go in the receiver to hold it open and make sure the bolt face is protected from the cleaning rod, also useful as a chamber flag
  • Wheeler gunsmithing screwdriver set; not specifically for the Garand, it's been in my cart for a while
A few days ago I ordered 20rd each of some M1-safe ammo, to see how much--if any--difference brand makes. Prvi Partizan, Sellier & Bellot, Winchester WII Victory Series, Federal Eagle, and Hornady ELD Match. Should be here Monday. I rather expect that they'll all shoot the same except, if any, the Hornady...in which case I'll probably order a can or two of the Prvi Partizan and call it a day.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat May 04, 2019 4:22 pm

boskone wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:45 pm
NT2C wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 2:23 pm
NT2C wrote:

Might try Harbor Freight's Apache cases, if you have a HF locally. They seem pretty well reviewed, in keeping with the rule of thumb that HF's value goes down as the number of parts goes up. :)
We do and I have heard that from others. I'll consider it but I'm really liking the Plano All Weather cases these days.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat May 04, 2019 4:27 pm

boskone wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:08 pm
Went a little wild with M1 stuff:
  • 16oz tub of Lubriplate (grease recommended for Garands, since I don't use grease on by other guns)
  • 10 dummy cartridges
  • Tekmat M1 Garand mat
  • Replica buttstock cleaning kit (don't see myself using it, but it was $13)
  • Little grease pots, to eventually go in the buttstock as part of the cleaning kit
  • Lock screw wrench for the gas tube lock screw
  • Receiver insert; bright orange thing that can go in the receiver to hold it open and make sure the bolt face is protected from the cleaning rod, also useful as a chamber flag
  • Wheeler gunsmithing screwdriver set; not specifically for the Garand, it's been in my cart for a while
A few days ago I ordered 20rd each of some M1-safe ammo, to see how much--if any--difference brand makes. Prvi Partizan, Sellier & Bellot, Winchester WII Victory Series, Federal Eagle, and Hornady ELD Match. Should be here Monday. I rather expect that they'll all shoot the same except, if any, the Hornady...in which case I'll probably order a can or two of the Prvi Partizan and call it a day.
Lubriplate was, I believe, the recommended grease BITD but there are a lot better on the market these days (IMHO). Rand's Hawg Grease is the one that I favor these days.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat May 04, 2019 5:05 pm

Just bought 1k 9mm from trueshotgunclub.com, 115gr brass case brand is Sellier and Bellot. Free shipping, no tax, and $10 off with code AYB. It was 17.4 cpr delivered to door. Checked ammo seek and the cheapest I could find was 14.5 cpm but the shipping for 1k rds was $58!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat May 04, 2019 5:54 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:22 pm
boskone wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:45 pm
We do and I have heard that from others. I'll consider it but I'm really liking the Plano All Weather cases these days.
They're nice too. I have one for my 6.5 Grendel, it's a solid case. (Aside from being "all-weather tactical", which confuses me because I can't figure out what's tactical about it.)

Been thinking about a couple more for the various other rifles; I have 4 cases, of which 2 are barely-useful crap and one only passable.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”