What did you today for your BOV/how did you prepare your BOV

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

beno

Re: What did you today for your BOV/how did you prepare your BOV

Post by beno » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:31 am

I gave my faithful ‘03 3 litre TD dual cab hilux some new fanbelts, oil and filter change, fuel filter and air filter blow out.

I need to replace a broken grease nipple in the prop shaft and clean and lube the wheel bearings. All else is looking good *touch wood*.

gary83

Post by gary83 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:50 pm

Reinstalled the nerf bars on my truck. I also changed the radiator and upper hose. Next week I will replace the shocks.

aikorob

Post by aikorob » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:25 am

early Christmas present----new toolbox, got everything out of the cab
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:38 pm

cleaned the car, repacked the boot (turnout gear, FAK, search kit) filled tank with 2018 fuel, refilled jerry cans with fuel and preservative for 2019
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019
New South Wales Bushfires 2019

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by velojym » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:03 pm

Replaced the lift struts on the rear window and hatch of Bob the Burban.
I also had an issue with the dimmer fluid in the driver side mirror. It leaked out, leaving a cruddy mess an almost unusable mirror, though the glass was still entirely intact. I didn't even know about that crap until mine decided to piss out. I installed a "normal" mirror there. Nice to be able to see that way again.

I'm really kinda jonesing for a simple truck now.
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Post by doitnstyle1 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:17 am

Have a 2011 Dodge RAM 2500 extended cab an 8-foot bed. I put high top cab on it with the idea being able to camp in the back comfortably. I found it not so easy, is it gets extremely cold and the bed of the truck is still pretty hard for my old bones. I have always enjoyed hammock camping and it was very comfortable for me. but I somehow wanted to be comfortable in the back of my truck and retain a little more heat. This was a little bit impossible with the tool box that I had in the back. If I built a platform in the back that would do this which was my original idea, I couldn't use the back of the truck for hauling which I use a lot.
it took me awhile to figure things out but I finally ended up getting a few eye bolts some straps with cams from harbor freight and sewing them in a crisscross pattern. I had a 4-inch futon mattress that was lingering, and I use that to roll over the top of my makeshift netting. It allows me keep the mattress same level as a tool box it's a very comfortable hammock style sleeping set up, and I can quickly and easily unhook it roll it up and get it out of the way so I can use the back of my truck for hauling.
The straps are quite sturdy it creates of quite a large bed to sleep on with storage space underneath, and even a small space to hang over the edge of the bed at the end of the truck bed to get dressed or get out easily. I'm actually quite eager to try it out this spring.
Some of the logistics that I'm working out are that even with the mattress underneath me it will still get quite cold with air flowing underneath or heat being lost through the truck bed. I think if I hang an underquilt under the mattress it will help significantly in retaining heat.I can use a small Buddy heater to heat up the back of the truck in the morning before getting out of the fart sack. I have windows for proper ventilation. I will also install carbon monoxide detector in the back just in case. I have to install a battery operated LED lighting system attached to the camper top. I already have a hookup for small 40 watt solar panel what attaches to the bed on the side, they can stay attached any of it I have to leave quickly. I have a backup battery in the toolbox and under the bed I will still have plenty of storage space to take any additional camping gear.
I found a very heavy duty bike rack let's hitch mounted, and with my e-bikes I have an additional mode of transportation from my base camp. The truck is alarmed so from away it'll sound and warn me or at least deter anyone from continuing the break-in. The cab locks fairly securely and it is much safer than a tent I believe.
I especially like it and think it's a little safer since bear and mountain lion activity has been up in our area in recent years,
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by velojym » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:24 am

On a trip to NM to visit family, I made a sorta-test-run with my Suburban (also avoided paying for a room).
With the back seats folded down (third row is sitting in my basement), I aired up a twin air mattress in the back.
It was quite warm, but a fan made it bearable. There was still plenty of room to the side for my stuff, including my folding
Montague bicycle.
I really can't sleep on a hard surface anymore, but the air mattress took care of that, and in the morning, I was easily able to air it down and roll it up into its bag.

I am considering another approach, however. After poking around a bit, and having considered a small cargo trailer conversion, I'm wondering if I should just make a little trailer into a rolling workshop, with a cot and a few living items inside. I can find a cheap piece of land somewhere, and if/when the time comes, have the tools and hardware to build a nice little shelter onsite. With the tools deployed, I'd have a little more room inside the trailer in which to live while working. The onsite shelter could be anything from a cabin (in a woody area), to a surplus army tent, yurt, or just a good quality cabin tent. That would give me time to figure out the long term, and the latter could be broken down and packed up in case I needed to re-bug-out.

An in-the-meantime use for such a trailer could be a mobile workshop for other things. I enjoy working on bicycles, so maybe a seasonal gig, traveling between some big bicycle events, with a mobile bike repair shop... it's only an idea for now. I know there'd be permits, permissions, ear tags, and all sorts of other nonsense to do business, but it would beat sitting at a desk all day.

I'm also aware that bike tools and cabin-building tools are completely different, but I'd have both in the former situation anyway. I'd just lighten the load a bit for the latter use.
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:19 am

velojym wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:24 am
I am considering another approach, however. After poking around a bit, and having considered a small cargo trailer conversion, I'm wondering if I should just make a little trailer into a rolling workshop, with a cot and a few living items inside. I can find a cheap piece of land somewhere, and if/when the time comes, have the tools and hardware to build a nice little shelter onsite. With the tools deployed, I'd have a little more room inside the trailer in which to live while working. The onsite shelter could be anything from a cabin (in a woody area), to a surplus army tent, yurt, or just a good quality cabin tent. That would give me time to figure out the long term, and the latter could be broken down and packed up in case I needed to re-bug-out.
I started work on a trailer conversion a couple years back, but it started turning into a money pit and the project stalled. If it would have been used more than once/twice a year the cost would be easier to justify. A tool (and toy) hauler and temp shelter while building something more permanent sounds like a great plan, not sure about your area but in the upper midwest where I live you can purchase small parcels (1-5 acres) bordering state/federal land for about 4-5k per acre.

Oh yeah, BOVs.... Just got a Stanley Power Station/Jump Starter for the primary BOV (F-150 with a cap) the other day. Now the problem will be finding a place to store it, I dedicated the front 2 feet of the truck bed for tools, fuel, and BO supplies and it's already overflowing lol It gets some mixed reviews on Amazon, probably would have purchased a different model but this one was a freebie to me and the only type available.

EBuff75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by EBuff75 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:51 pm

Oh yeah, BOVs.... Just got a Stanley Power Station/Jump Starter for the primary BOV (F-150 with a cap) the other day. Now the problem will be finding a place to store it, I dedicated the front 2 feet of the truck bed for tools, fuel, and BO supplies and it's already overflowing lol It gets some mixed reviews on Amazon, probably would have purchased a different model but this one was a freebie to me and the only type available.
I got one of those Stanley Jump Starters as a gift a few months ago. Too big for my car, but I put in my Suburban so that I'd have one in there. Haven't tried jump starting a vehicle yet, but the monthly charging requirement is for real. I've pulled it out a few times and found it was down to a single charge indicator light after just a few weeks. I have used the air pump a few times and it does the job, just veerrrryyy slllllooooowwwlllyyyy... :) I also have a Li-ion jump starter which I keep in my car. That one is still somewhere around 95% after a month, which makes me think it would be more likely to be useful in a pinch.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:21 pm

The biggest problem with those little jump starters is ensuring that they're kept charged. Twice now we've gone to use ours and twice it didn't have sufficient remaining charge to start a vehicle with a dead battery. This despite it being two different models, both with good specs that would be more than adequate for the task, and my bringing them out of the vehicles for a recharge in the house every 90 days. I've since reduced that recharge to monthly but it's a bit of a PITA to have to do that.

Back on topic, sorta... I've put jumper cable sets back into both vehicles now.

The wife and I also went to a local RV show, checking prices and looking at ways we can make one do what we need it to do, and that is to transport four spoiled cats that can't fly across the country from VA to ID when we sell our house and move. The wife and I have pretty much settled on a travel trailer as being the best and most affordable option and are now just deciding on which model and if it would be better to buy or rent. If we buy there's also the option of selling it again at the other end to recoup what we can of the cost.

Choices! :awesome:

There's also one other thing I haven't pointed out to the wife though. We currently own two trucks, the Jeep, and a single axle enclosed trailer. The wife refuses to drive any of the vehicles with a trailer attached and flat out refuses to learn how to drive with a trailer. Since one truck will be sold before we move (or gifted to a friend) we'll still be left with a trailer and a pickup that have to be driven there. Obviously, I can't drive both, and even if we bought a toy hauler neither the pickup nor the enclosed trailer will fit in it. She's going to have to learn how to drive with a trailer. Fun, fun, fun.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by velojym » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:13 pm

I have a pretty good sized one, which I carried with me to IL for the leadup for the IT project I'm on now.
Good thing I did. It got to 20 below, and my poor little HHR said "Nope!"
I had to give it a good jolt to get started in the morning.
-The Postman

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:44 am

Put fuel in the tank.

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:13 pm

EBuff75 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:51 pm
I got one of those Stanley Jump Starters as a gift a few months ago. Too big for my car, but I put in my Suburban so that I'd have one in there. Haven't tried jump starting a vehicle yet, but the monthly charging requirement is for real. I've pulled it out a few times and found it was down to a single charge indicator light after just a few weeks.
NT2C wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:21 pm
The biggest problem with those little jump starters is ensuring that they're kept charged. Twice now we've gone to use ours and twice it didn't have sufficient remaining charge to start a vehicle with a dead battery. This despite it being two different models, both with good specs that would be more than adequate for the task, and my bringing them out of the vehicles for a recharge in the house every 90 days. I've since reduced that recharge to monthly but it's a bit of a PITA to have to do that.
Figured as much based on the reviews, once a month would be bad enough 26 times a year? Geez...

The manual indicates the lead acid battery cannot be overcharged when using the AC charger, but charging it via the 12v cigarette lighter socket should only be until it reaches a full charge then removed, and not to charge it for over 6 hours maximum in any case. Can't locate schematics nor even a functional block diagram of it, but seems clear there's no battery charging controller when charging it via the 12v socket, the socket is probably just wired directly to the battery.

Clearly an oversight in the Stanley product design division, and requires aftermarket correction. As luck would have it, it's new home is less than a foot away from the 12v wiring for the truck cap's dome light. For $12.99, a little splicing, a fuse and diode for added safety, I think I can fix this. If it works I'll write it up.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:15 pm

I told my BOV that I 'love' her, & please don't break down.

moab

Post by moab » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:25 pm

velojym wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:24 am
On a trip to NM to visit family, I made a sorta-test-run with my Suburban (also avoided paying for a room).
With the back seats folded down (third row is sitting in my basement), I aired up a twin air mattress in the back.
It was quite warm, but a fan made it bearable. There was still plenty of room to the side for my stuff, including my folding
Montague bicycle.
I really can't sleep on a hard surface anymore, but the air mattress took care of that, and in the morning, I was easily able to air it down and roll it up into its bag.

An in-the-meantime use for such a trailer could be a mobile workshop for other things. I enjoy working on bicycles, so maybe a seasonal gig, traveling between some big bicycle events, with a mobile bike repair shop... it's only an idea for now. I know there'd be permits, permissions, ear tags, and all sorts of other nonsense to do business, but it would beat sitting at a desk all day.

I'm also aware that bike tools and cabin-building tools are completely different, but I'd have both in the former situation anyway. I'd just lighten the load a bit for the latter use.
You might want to consider vehicle security too. You might be better off storing stuff in the trailer. But sleeping in the truck. It's more secure in the truck. And less likely to get stolen. I've been watching a lot of iamjake on youtube. He lives out of a Jeep. And found that when things got the least bit dicey outside his vehicle. Which happens from time to time sleeping in hotel and walmart parking lots. He just gets in the drivers seat and leaves. He also had a self sufficient trailer he towed for awhile too. You should look up his videos. It was a pretty bitchin trailer. Had solar, air, has gen etc. etc. More of a utility trailer and his jeep was the house.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

moab

Post by moab » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:37 pm

Not sure if any of you are into LED headlight upgrades. But everyone on my Jeep forum is raving about these Trucklight knockoffs. Trucklights are the high end led headlight. That generally run several hundred dollars. These knockoffs are supposedly about 99% as good. And they only cost $99 in a 7 inch for a Jeep. Not sure what other model cars they make them for. But you can see a lot better with them. And they have a sharp cut off line on the top of the beam. So folks won't get blinded and flash their brights at you. Say what you will about knockoffs. But when the PAW comes no one will care that you saved $300 on headlights and spent it on ammo. Except that guy trying to shoot your ass off. Seriously though. From what I've read the same factory makes both. So even if your buying actual Trucklights. They're from China too. Just with a substantial mark up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018JKIUF4/?t ... rg-20&th=1
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:57 pm

moab wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:37 pm
Not sure if any of you are into LED headlight upgrades. But everyone on my Jeep forum is raving about these Trucklight knockoffs. Trucklights are the high end led headlight. That generally run several hundred dollars. These knockoffs are supposedly about 99% as good. And they only cost $99 in a 7 inch for a Jeep. Not sure what other model cars they make them for. But you can see a lot better with them. And they have a sharp cut off line on the top of the beam. So folks won't get blinded and flash their brights at you. Say what you will about knockoffs. But when the PAW comes no one will care that you saved $300 on headlights and spent it on ammo. Except that guy trying to shoot your ass off. Seriously though. From what I've read the same factory makes both. So even if your buying actual Trucklights. They're from China too. Just with a substantial mark up.

For off-road use only, they sound reasonable, but since they seem to lack any SAE or DOT certification or acceptance on-road use would be illegal. Also, my own experience with Chinese knockoff lights is that the LEDs used in them are of vastly inferior quality and very much overdriven, leading to early component death. Seriously, comparing the illumination patterns of original and knockoff LED lights is, if you'll pardon the expression, a real eye opener.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by velojym » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:21 pm

Moab, yeah, I definitely see that point.
As I now have a little experience sleeping in the Burb, I could easily take a simple 5x8 trailer (no need for much headroom if I'm only using it to carry stuff), ruggedize it a bit, and use it to carry tools and supplies. I'd double up on some of them in the truck, in case I had to ditch the trailer somewhere.
-The Postman

moab

Post by moab » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:34 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:57 pm
moab wrote:

For off-road use only, they sound reasonable, but since they seem to lack any SAE or DOT certification or acceptance on-road use would be illegal. Also, my own experience with Chinese knockoff lights is that the LEDs used in them are of vastly inferior quality and very much overdriven, leading to early component death. Seriously, comparing the illumination patterns of original and knockoff LED lights is, if you'll pardon the expression, a real eye opener.
They are DOT certified. But in all actuality DOT inspects nothing. You can look that last one up yourself. I have nothing to cite. It's in that link below. They bring many of the issues you bring up. And debate them back and forth. It's a good read and a tutorial on page 3.

I will say that several senior members of the online Jeep community are quite impressed with these lights. I'm not saying some or even maybe most Chinese knock offs aren't crap. I'm just saying these aren't. Guys speak about their ease of install. And great light quality. It's like night and day. Some have ran them for a long time too. I'll get you a link to the thread.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/rep ... offs.6239/

I have a pair to install. I'll let you know what I find out.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:43 pm

velojym wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:21 pm
Moab, yeah, I definitely see that point.
As I now have a little experience sleeping in the Burb, I could easily take a simple 5x8 trailer (no need for much headroom if I'm only using it to carry stuff), ruggedize it a bit, and use it to carry tools and supplies. I'd double up on some of them in the truck, in case I had to ditch the trailer somewhere.
I started doing something like that with a 16' single axle. Your biggest issue is going to be insulation. In the summer the heat in there gets unbelievable, and they don't warm much in the winter. For the roof on mine I'm trying this stuff that looks like reflectorized bubble wrap and so far it's not making much difference. I think I'm going to try some foamboard carefully sliced on the back to allow it to curve better and fit the roof, with that bubble stuff over it. Foamboard under the floor should help there, but makes me worry about trapping water and salty slush that will rot the wood or the frame. The sides though, there I'm stymied. I could pull off all the interior wood I suppose, then insulate the walls and put it back, but that's gonna be a pain. Not sure what else I can do there though. The factory does offer insulation as an option but I bought it already built. Maybe blow-in insulation?

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:46 pm

moab wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:34 pm
NT2C wrote:
moab wrote:

They are DOT certified. But in all actuality DOT inspects nothing. You can look that last one up yourself. I have nothing to cite. It's in that link below. They bring many of the issues you bring up. And debate them back and forth. It's a good read and a tutorial on page 3.

I will say that several senior members of the online Jeep community are quite impressed with these lights. I'm not saying some or even maybe most Chinese knock offs aren't crap. I'm just saying these aren't. Guys speak about their ease of install. And great light quality. It's like night and day. Some have ran them for a long time too. I'll get you a link to the thread.

DOT certification is usually at the state level. In NYS, for example, the commissioner of Motor Vehicles can put certain models on the "accepted" list, but most all states and the feds go by SAE certification. I'll check out your thread.

Edit to add: I saw that some of them were DOT/SAE listed but, as at least one person in that thread, I think it's odd that they don't state that in their Amazon ad. Very peculiar. They'd probably sell more if they made that clear since I imagine a lot of people looking to upgrade to LEDs are leery of getting ticketed for non-approved lights.

Cowgirl
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:37 pm

Our BOV is in the shop getting a new transmission. The price tag quoted was :shock: but she’s worth it. We want her in tip top shape, just in case.

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Post by doitnstyle1 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:51 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:46 pm
moab wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:34 pm
NT2C wrote:
moab wrote:

DOT certification is usually at the state level. In NYS, for example, the commissioner of Motor Vehicles can put certain models on the "accepted" list, but most all states and the feds go by SAE certification. I'll check out your thread.

Edit to add: I saw that some of them were DOT/SAE listed but, as at least one person in that thread, I think it's odd that they don't state that in their Amazon ad. Very peculiar. They'd probably sell more if they made that clear since I imagine a lot of people looking to upgrade to LEDs are leery of getting ticketed for non-approved lights.
I got mine from Wish.com for $16.00 and they are just fine. I liked them so much I bought another set just in case and I have had mine for over a year.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

TrailsnRadio

Post by TrailsnRadio » Sun May 05, 2019 1:24 am

Got a used camper shell for my Dodge Ram 1500 LWB. Paid only $45 for it. Needs some work, but that's half the fun. :) Also, started getting the parts together to build a antenna for my 2m/440 cm amateur radio for it.

Return to “Transportation”