Odd Preps: The things you can't live without

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Ellywick

Re: Odd Preps: The things you can't live without

Post by Ellywick » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:34 am

I can think of several. I could survive without them, but I'm not sure how much it would feel like living.

Hygiene items people have listed before: floss, nail clippers (my nails curl up.for some reason and it gets annoying when they are long). I also feel strongly about deodorant. I keep travel ones all over the place. I even have one at work in case I for some reason forget it in the morning in the chaos that is getting myself and all my kids ready and out the door. It's one of the most consumable items I would be very sad about when it finally ran out.

Small portable games. People since paleolithic times have played games to occupy their minds. Books for both pleasure and knowledge. I'm a "Canticle for Liebowitz" proponent of the apocolypse.

Lastly, and this sounds strange, one set of earrings. Probably small sterling bobs or silver hoops that wouldn't carch on things and could be re-worn forever. I have some already. I've had three piercings in each ear since I was a teenager and putting earrings on every morning is such a part of my morning routine I think it would be a comfort in a situation where it feels like the world has gone wrong (well, more wrong than it already is).

Read through the entirety of the previous history for this post and I think what the "do everything yourself all the time- you can only rely on yourself- I'll live without the trappings of society and be awesome" people just don't get is that people have never lived that way. We are biologically developed to be social creatures with oversized neo- cortexs who are weak on our own, but mighty together. We have always created and socialized and kept objects for the mere pleasure they bring, whether it is a book, deodorant, shiny rock, or cool-looking stick. I'm a believer in being as self-sufficient as is reasonable given your current time, ability, and budget or I wouldn't be on ZS. But complete self-sufficiency for one person is really a myth created by writers and film-makers.
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

Cowgirl
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:15 pm

Agree Ellywick.

Deodorants, earrings, plenty of toothpaste and toothbrushes.

Coffee and tea. Yes, I could survive without them, but woe to those around me! :crazy:

Books, ereader, playing cards, scrabble, sudoku books, pens and pencils.

Clock - I have 2 windup alarm clocks. One is a small, fold-up travel one in the BOB. The other is in the house.

Essential oils. Yes, I could live without them, but why would I do so intentionally?

Carob - I have quite a bit on hand, just in case. I can’t eat chocolate, but I love carob and carob brownies are my favorite comfort treat.

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:17 pm

Mtn Dew. Coca Cola. TP. Warm Sleeping arrangement.

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:16 pm

Zed Hunter wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:17 pm
Mtn Dew. Coca Cola. TP. Warm Sleeping arrangement.
Sleeping arrangement very important.
Especially a pillow that works for me. When we have a planned stay at a hotel, I usually take several of my bamboo fiber pillow if I want to get a decent sleep.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

Return to “Other Gear”