Space Debris

A place for prepping related news stories, video channel links, podcasts, and other media not covered elsewhere in the forums

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Space Debris

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:37 pm

1. Space Debris is a problem.

From ABC (Australia): Scientists launch net from International Space Station satellite to capture rocket and spacecraft junk orbiting Earth
Scientists launched a net into space to demonstrate how old rocket and spacecraft parts orbiting around the Earth can be removed.

In the British-led experiment, a large net was cast from a mini satellite named RemoveDebris, which was originally launched from the International Space Station in June.

The 5-metre net successfully travelled around 6 metres and wrapped around its target, a boxy microsatellite called a CubeSat, that had just been deployed as part of the test.

Texas-based company NanoRacks, which developed the microsatellite deployer, captured the launch on video and published it on Twitter.
"This is not sci-fi. We repeat, not sci-fi," the company said.
University of Surrey Space Centre director Guglielmo Aglietti said the target was spinning faster than expected, but that made the test even more realistic.

The objective of the demonstration was to show ways of removing debris, such as old rocket and spacecraft parts, from orbit.

This debris poses a hazard not only to the International Space Station and its crew, but to the Hubble Space Telescope and other satellites.

The net and its target will eventually fall out of orbit together and burn up.

Meanwhile, a space harpoon will be tested in a similar manner in February, Professor Aglietti said.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Re: Space Debris

Post by NT2C » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:54 pm

Okay, how exactly does this help? It seems all the net does is wrap around the debris, doing nothing to retrieve it. Sure, it's going to affect its orbit slightly but I'm not seeing the benefit here. You have to get the net up to the debris, which means with another spacecraft, adding more debris in orbit as shields and stages separate, and even if you capture that one piece of debris and manage to change its orbit enough to bring it down, you've only exchanged it for the satellite that carried the net into position. :?

Also, I think this would fit better in Off-Topic, so that's where it's going.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:09 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:54 pm
Okay, how exactly does this help? It seems all the net does is wrap around the debris, doing nothing to retrieve it. Sure, it's going to affect its orbit slightly but I'm not seeing the benefit here. You have to get the net up to the debris, which means with another spacecraft, adding more debris in orbit as shields and stages separate, and even if you capture that one piece of debris and manage to change its orbit enough to bring it down, you've only exchanged it for the satellite that carried the net into position. :?

Also, I think this would fit better in Off-Topic, so that's where it's going.
NT: I think that this fits in CP&P, if for nothing else, to start a discussion of this concern. I agree with all else.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:11 pm

The net was launched from the ISS, not Earth. They don't need all the other stuff. Planned properly there should be less debris in space.

The space junk issue has been out there a while. Awareness was raised after China tested it's space weapon a few years back and destroyed a satellite in orbit completely annihilating an orbit path.

Not sure how I can plan for that. Someday there may be no satellites? On a long enough time line that is virtually certain.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:32 pm

One of my favorite space debris solutions was using a ground-based (or space-based) laser to alter the orbits of debris, and eventually cause them to de-orbit. It seems like the most practical, because it can work from a long distance, and target virtually all sizes of debris. Getting a laser powerful enough to alter the orbits of tiny bits of debris is relatively easy (like paint flecks etc.), but getting one powerful enough to meaningfully alter orbits of larger pieces from the ground is a bit more difficult (like wrenches and up). You don't have to get it done in a single go through, and for larger pieces you could alter it a bit each time if flies by. I think the vast majority of debris is the smaller stuff though, so it would at least tackle part of the problem, but the largest things (like entire defunct satellites) may need to be towed down by another solution.

I think the biggest concern would be other countries not wanting you to have a powerful laser capable of blinding satellites etc.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:46 pm

One man's junk comes to mind.
Who makes the distinction on what is "Junk"?
Is this satellite really dead, or is it a weapon in sleep mode.
Also on a practical matter, since some of the satellites are nuke powered, what about debris from re-entry. Same with some battery powered ones...
I dunno, getting the trash out is a good thing, but it's riddled with issues...
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:12 pm

SCBrian wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:46 pm
One man's junk comes to mind.
Who makes the distinction on what is "Junk"?
Is this satellite really dead, or is it a weapon in sleep mode.
Also on a practical matter, since some of the satellites are nuke powered, what about debris from re-entry. Same with some battery powered ones...
I dunno, getting the trash out is a good thing, but it's riddled with issues...
Most of the junk is booster stages and things like that I believe. Weapon in sleep mode would still be monitored/tracked and able to wake up to maneuver ( otherwise why have a sleep mode?) Minimum size for asteroids to make it through the atmosphere and strike earth is about 25 meters. Asteroids would be generally more dense than satellites so most satellites won't reach the ground I guess

Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:12 pm

Sometimes a functional satellite is replaced by a newer model, & The old one is kept around in a standby mode. Wikipedia has some interesting articles on this.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:11 pm

Moved to Prepping News
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:14 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:11 pm
Moved to Prepping News
:clap:

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:12 pm

A lot of worry over Space Lab's nuclear reactor when it de-orbited. It hit open ocean.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:28 pm

Zed Hunter wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:12 pm
A lot of worry over Space Lab's nuclear reactor when it de-orbited. It hit open ocean.
Graveyard Orbit
Spacecaft Cemetery

Return to “Prepping News”