Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Stercutus

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:16 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:28 pm
Hmm.....wonder when, or if, this will wend it's way to the top?

(Reuters) U.S. appeals court upholds right to carry gun in public
The State has to appeal to the SCOTUS. They may not given the current make up of the court. If they don't appeal than the court can grant open carry immediately in HI. If they appeal and lose then....

These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:56 pm

TP-28
As of 2008, it was reported that Russian cosmonauts have regularly carried small arms (handguns) on Soyuz spacecraft, as part of the emergency landing survival kit. The intent of the weapon is to protect cosmonauts from wild animals in the event of an off-course wilderness landing. The specially designed gun is capable of firing bullets, shotgun shells, or flares

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:03 pm

Actually, there's potentially one more step in between: the state can request that the case be re-heard by the Ninth Circuit en banc (by all the judges of the circuit; this was a 3-judge panel.) Given the make-up and history of the Ninth Circus, such a re-hearing might well go the other way.

In any case, if such does happen, or if the hearing is denied, then the loser can appeal to SCOTUS.
Stercutus wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:16 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:28 pm
Hmm.....wonder when, or if, this will wend it's way to the top?

(Reuters) U.S. appeals court upholds right to carry gun in public
The State has to appeal to the SCOTUS. They may not given the current make up of the court. If they don't appeal than the court can grant open carry immediately in HI. If they appeal and lose then....

Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:57 am

Actually, there's potentially one more step in between: the state can request that the case be re-heard by the Ninth Circuit en banc (by all the judges of the circuit; this was a 3-judge panel.) Given the make-up and history of the Ninth Circus, such a re-hearing might well go the other way.

In any case, if such does happen, or if the hearing is denied, then the loser can appeal to SCOTUS.
Ah yes, or the Ninth can decide not to hear it. With Kennedy gone off the court than the odds of it getting heard at SCOTUS with a ruling favorable to bearing arms is practically a done deal.

They did distinguish between the older conceal carry case and made clear it was for open carry.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:26 am

the_alias wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:48 pm
Looking at getting a 6.5 Grendel AR upper for hunting - hit me with some recommended manufacturers for accuracy please? :D
I still like BHW product. Polygonal rifling. Gets 50+ Fps over button/standard rifled barrel. 50+ FPS means a lot to intermediate carts like the Grendel. I'd suggest barrel lengths of either 16" or 20"+. There's so little advantage to any length in between. Also, get a barrel chambered to use x39 bolts. Much cheaper and easy to find. I have a 16" upper ready with mags and bolt and stuff should you be interested.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:21 pm

brothaman wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:26 am
the_alias wrote:
Looking at getting a 6.5 Grendel AR upper for hunting - hit me with some recommended manufacturers for accuracy please? :D
I still like BHW product. Polygonal rifling. Gets 50+ Fps over button/standard rifled barrel. 50+ FPS means a lot to intermediate carts like the Grendel. I'd suggest barrel lengths of either 16" or 20"+. There's so little advantage to any length in between. Also, get a barrel chambered to use x39 bolts. Much cheaper and easy to find. I have a 16" upper ready with mags and bolt and stuff should you be interested.
Missed the_alias' post. Oops.

If you don't mind a self-build, I have a LaRue "ultimate upper" kit in 6.5 Grendel, and it's been nice. Every part of the gun but magazines, lower rec, and bullets.

The pros are nice fit and finish, plus LaRue quality (which IMO is inarguable, though their pricing may be). It fit my lower from a now-defunct company perfectly well. The handguard is m-lok or keymod, odd (attaches by a couple screw-together flanges) but I really like how slim it is. The MBT2 trigger is damn nice; I can't say anything like it's the best, but it's easily one of the best I've ever gotten my boogerhook on.

To give some cons, a bit pricey and I kinda wish the receiver-handguard mounting system wasn't a couple flanges. The mounting system works, is pretty easy to overlook, but I think the lines would be nicer without it.

...if you get one and happen to like keymod, mind ordering an m-lok one and swapping with me? :D

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:04 pm

brothaman wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:26 am
the_alias wrote:
Better take it before I do!!!!

Just kidding, I got my firearm's budget taken away by the boss-lady for a little while... :gonk:
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:08 pm

It was only a matter of time....

Gear Head Works One Bolt Action Pistol

One of the wildest and crazy-like-a-fox new guns at TriggrCon 2018 is the Gear Head Works One pistol. Springing from the imaginative mind of the company’s founder, Paul Reavis, the One is a .300BLK bolt-action pistol based on a Remington 700 action.

The gun’s chambered in 300BLK, perfect to lob subsonic rounds through a can downrange. The barrel is just under 9 inches. The chassis is a heavily modified aluminum MDT LSS and accepts AI mags (shown here with a 10 rounder). The pistol brace is a Tailhook Mod 1, with a hollowed out, side-folding tube to clear the bolt handle when folded. The top Picatinny rail has a 20MOA angle to help with the mortar-like trajectory. As seen here, Reavis has a compact low power variable optic on the gun, trying to keep it as low as possible to maintain a good cheek weld on the brace without needing a riser.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:29 pm

Alias,.. tried to respond to your PM. Not sure if it went through. Stupid message went to drafts and won't leave that folder. If you didn't get my response, just let me know in this thread.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:57 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:08 pm
It was only a matter of time....

Agreed... Dunno why it took so long as these bolt pistols were big in the 80's and 90's.

But, there is always this. I'm considering using it for PA handgun hunting in .300BLK... not sure if it's legal so I'd have to do research

https://www.lantac-usa.com/single-post/ ... nual-E-BCG
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:06 pm

Was it Remington or Ruger that used to sell a bolt action pistol ?

I remember seeing something called the XP100 (or something along those lines) in "Guns and Ammo" magazine years ago, but I can't remember who made it.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:08 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:06 pm

I remember seeing something called the XP100 (or something along those lines) in "Guns and Ammo" magazine years ago, but I can't remember who made it.
I wanna say Rem without looking it up. Maybe based on the Model 7.

The Ruger has the Charger .22 pistol version of the 10.22

I wanna say there was some big legal battle in the 90's over the bolt pistols and things like T/C contenders. I would have been a child so I didn't understand a lot of what I read back in those days... I liked looking at pictures mostly in the gun mag

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:15 pm

Remington sold it in .221 fireball or some odd caliber.

My high school rifle team used them for one competition. However, they were not that great IMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_XP-100

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:57 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:08 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:06 pm

I wanna say Rem without looking it up. Maybe based on the Model 7.

The Ruger has the Charger .22 pistol version of the 10.22

I wanna say there was some big legal battle in the 90's over the bolt pistols and things like T/C contenders. I would have been a child so I didn't understand a lot of what I read back in those days... I liked looking at pictures mostly in the gun mag
I just looked it up (it was bugging me not knowing who made it) and it was Remington that made the XP100.

As for the legal deal, I have no clue either since I was just a kid in the 90's too. When Remington stopped making the XP100 back in 98, I was in middle school (so I was about 13 or 14 at that point).

All I remember is going to the local convenience store every month and picking up the newest copy of whatever gun magazine was there and looking at the pictures of guns I couldn't have at that point. :lol:

ETA: I just checked and the XP100 was not based off the Remington 700. It was based off another bolt rifle Remington made at the time.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:22 pm

9x39 is now available in America.

http://ammunitionstore.com/products/9x3 ... d-box.html

Now I have to wait for a platform to shoot it.....
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:54 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:22 pm
9x39 is now available in America.

http://ammunitionstore.com/products/9x3 ... d-box.html

Now I have to wait for a platform to shoot it.....
Give it some time and eventually either Century or PSA or someone will bring in some imports that use that round.

Well, that or Century will try to make an all US made gun based on a Soviet one that uses the round and it'll be a train wreck like the RAS47. :gonk:

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:23 pm

Instructor Earl

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:12 pm

Picked up a Sig MCX hybrid in .300 Blackout today.

Put an EOtech on it.

Then ran 80 factory super sonics and 10 factory subsonics through it. Made it a point to retrieve my brass.

I only sighted in out to 50 yards.

Trajectory wise it seems like everything stays within a paper plate at 50, 25, and 15 yards.

About the only thing I couldn't figure out was how to turn the gas block adjuster.

The first few subs I ran didn't have enough uumph to push the bolt back to pick up the next round.

But then like the last 5 subs ran just fine.

Today was a good day at the range. :clap:

Guns are icky!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:12 am

What grain were the subs? I have no problems with 195+
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:47 am

220 grains.

That EOtech sure makes it easy to hit targets.

That was only the second time I have shot with one.

:mrgreen:

EDIT: I forgot to mention the stock...err...I mean the brace folds, so it makes for a real compact package. I carried it it in my DeWalt toolbag yesterday.

Guns are icky!

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:17 pm

Just a reminder to be extra cautious about firearms in your vehicles:

Carjacker used teen's own rifle to rob him of vehicle at Little Rock park, authorities say
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:56 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:17 pm
Just a reminder to be extra cautious about firearms in your vehicles:

Carjacker used teen's own rifle to rob him of vehicle at Little Rock park, authorities say
Hmm....A better suggestion would be to not hangout at the park at 11:00 at night with people you don't really know.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:25 pm

I noticed the forum has a new format. I guess I'll see here in a minute if the forum allows bigger pics now.

Yesterday when trying out the MCX hybrid with different mags, I had this wicked double feed.

Ho

Lee

Shikey's

It looked like this:

I had never seen anything like that before. It was with a "tan" Pmag. It was quite the booger to get UNjammed.

The bolt is shorter in this MCX hybrid, so I was able to pull the upper and lower apart. Then I literally used pliers to pull the round out of there.

Actually on second thought...what it was was the just fired case didn't get ejected and the top loaded round and empty brass tried to get pushed into the chamber at the same time.

I put that tan Pmag away for the rest of the day. It ran 100% with supers in the other mags.

Guns are icky!

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:31 pm

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”