Help choosing a new flashlight for my AR

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JF89
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Help choosing a new flashlight for my AR

Post by JF89 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:41 am

I'm wanting something that runs on two AAs and has an output of at least 500 lumens. Does anyone know of any flashlights like this?

woodsghost

Re: Help choosing a new flashlight for my AR

Post by woodsghost » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:18 am

JF89 wrote:I'm wanting something that runs on two AAs and has an output of at least 500 lumens. Does anyone know of any flashlights like this?
Do you have a budget in mind?
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

JF89

Post by JF89 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:39 am

woodsghost wrote:
JF89 wrote:I'm wanting something that runs on two AAs and has an output of at least 500 lumens. Does anyone know of any flashlights like this?
Do you have a budget in mind?
I hav'nt really thought about it but I would "like" to keep it under $300ish. I might go a little higher if its really worth it.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:58 am

Try Streamlight, JF89.

I know they make some AA battery lights, but I'm not sure what those models are called. They are pretty affordable, though. I recall paying a little over 100 bucks for the TLR-1s I have on my G41, but I'm not sure what the other lights cost.

JF89

Post by JF89 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:25 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Try Streamlight, JF89.

I know they make some AA battery lights, but I'm not sure what those models are called. They are pretty affordable, though. I recall paying a little over 100 bucks for the TLR-1s I have on my G41, but I'm not sure what the other lights cost.
I like what I've heard about Streamlight but I couldnt find one that uses AA batteries and A pressure switch. I've taken a couple low light/night classes and I prefer a the switch to reaching foreward to hit the button on the flashlight.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:12 pm

JF89 wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Try Streamlight, JF89.

I like what I've heard about Streamlight but I couldnt find one that uses AA batteries and A pressure switch. I've taken a couple low light/night classes and I prefer a the switch to reaching foreward to hit the button on the flashlight.
I think Streamlight sells a pressure switch for certain lights like their TLR series, if not I know some SureFire lights have that. Not sure about the AA battery thing, but I have seen SureFire lights with pressure switches.

I had a SureFire 6PX light for awhile, but I didn't like the tail cap button (it was way too stiff to use) and the fact it got really hot, really quick when used for a brief period of time.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:38 pm

AA weapons lights are tough, I don't think I've seen one that has a momentary-only switch, I think I'll have to settle for a momentary/constant switch and just learn the magic touch.

I think the idea is alkaline AA batteries are heavy enough to cause problems under recoil, and you can't trust the public enough to follow "lithium only" instructions so no one wants to advertise a AA light as a weapon light. I plan to buy a handheld and just shoot it a bunch before I trust it.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

JF89

Post by JF89 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:42 pm

I'm thinking about getting this one: https://www.opticsplanet.com/streamligh ... 88058.html for A $100 it seems like hell of a deal.

JF89

Post by JF89 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:44 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:AA weapons lights are tough, I don't think I've seen one that has a momentary-only switch, I think I'll have to settle for a momentary/constant switch and just learn the magic touch.

I think the idea is alkaline AA batteries are heavy enough to cause problems under recoil, and you can't trust the public enough to follow "lithium only" instructions so no one wants to advertise a AA light as a weapon light. I plan to buy a handheld and just shoot it a bunch before I trust it.
Makes sense, It just seems like if they can make RDS and holograhic sights and Night vision gear powered reliably off AAs then flashlights would be easy.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:55 pm

JF89 wrote:I'm thinking about getting this one: https://www.opticsplanet.com/streamligh ... 88058.html for A $100 it seems like hell of a deal.
$91.23 if you have the Amazon prime. Image

Looks like it has a reduced output when using AA batteries...

Light Output:

CR123 Battery:
High: 12,000-Candela peak beam intensity, 219-meter beam distance, 350-lumens, 1-hour 45-minute run-time.
Low: 1,380-Candela peak beam intensity, 19-meter beam distance, 40-lumens, 14-hours 30-minute run-time.

AA Alkaline Battery:
High: 4,950-Candela peak beam intensity, 141-meter beam distance, 150-lumens, 1-hour 30-minute run-time.
Low: 1,380-Candela peak beam intensity, 19-meter beam distance, 40-lumens, 8-hour run-time.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:42 pm

Honestly the AA batteries have been very much outclassed over the years. You can buy as many CR123 on line as you like and the shelf life is around 7 years. Old farts still love them because they can buy them at Walmart but that they have CR123s at Walmart too, you just have to hunt for them.

The TLR series are great lights with reliable, predictable performance. You should decide if you want "throw" or "flood" before making a choice.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:02 pm

JF89 wrote: Makes sense, It just seems like if they can make RDS and holograhic sights and Night vision gear powered reliably off AAs then flashlights would be easy.
Correct, but I also think some of the early AA holo sights were plagued with problems because of just this. I think one of the solutions was to turn the batteries 90 degrees so the recoil was not in line with the contacts, but obviously things like the CompM4 show it can be done.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Murph

Post by Murph » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:26 am

RickOShea wrote:
JF89 wrote:I'm thinking about getting this one: https://www.opticsplanet.com/streamligh ... 88058.html for A $100 it seems like hell of a deal.

Light Output:
CR123 Battery: High: 12,000-Candela peak beam intensity, 219-meter beam distance, 350-lumens, 1-hour 45-minute run-time.
AA Alkaline Battery: High: 4,950-Candela peak beam intensity, 141-meter beam distance, 150-lumens, 1-hour 30-minute run-time.
The ProTac Rail Mount 1 is a great light if you run CR123As in it. I've had one since August 2016, and it still runs great.

I think you're going to be hard pressed to find a even marginal AA weapon light. Sorry.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

JF89

Post by JF89 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:03 pm

Murph wrote:
RickOShea wrote:

Light Output:
CR123 Battery: High: 12,000-Candela peak beam intensity, 219-meter beam distance, 350-lumens, 1-hour 45-minute run-time.
AA Alkaline Battery: High: 4,950-Candela peak beam intensity, 141-meter beam distance, 150-lumens, 1-hour 30-minute run-time.
The ProTac Rail Mount 1 is a great light if you run CR123As in it. I've had one since August 2016, and it still runs great.

I think you're going to be hard pressed to find a even marginal AA weapon light. Sorry.
How so? I have no problems using CR123s as long as I can run AAs too. Lithiums AAs seem to last just as long and have similar output but then again i'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to batteries. I took a carbine lowlight/night fighting class awhile back and there was A cop there who told me he would never trust his life to anything powered by AA batteries, any guess as to why he would say that?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:44 am

JF89 wrote:
Murph wrote:
RickOShea wrote:

Light Output:

How so? I have no problems using CR123s as long as I can run AAs too. Lithiums AAs seem to last just as long and have similar output but then again i'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to batteries. I took a carbine lowlight/night fighting class awhile back and there was A cop there who told me he would never trust his life to anything powered by AA batteries, any guess as to why he would say that?
I am guessing he works nights.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:21 am

JF89 wrote: A cop there who told me he would never trust his life to anything powered by AA batteries, any guess as to why he would say that?
At a guess I would say there is simply a much wider spectrum of quality with AA lights as there are total crap ones and very good ones, where as CR123 lights are far more likely to only go from mediocre to very good, since the cheapskates buying crap lights likely won't pay for CR123s. I know of no reason why a AA is inherently less reliable then a CR123 if the quality of the light is held constant. He could also simply be criticizing alkaline batteries in general and forgetting about lithium AA options.

Thanks to the miracle of the internet you can of course buy lower quality CR123 lights now, I've had mixed luck trying to build LED Surefire G2s from parts.

AK, Glock, Pie.

JF89

Post by JF89 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:17 am

Last edited by JF89 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

JF89

Post by JF89 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:20 am

JF89 wrote:I am guessing he works nights.
Maybe, he was one of the assistant instructors and supposedly has a over a decade in SWAT. I got the feeling he was probably closer to A Jim Cirillo type cop then an officer Farva type cop.

rooks

Post by rooks » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:30 pm

JF89 wrote: How so? I have no problems using CR123s as long as I can run AAs too. Lithiums AAs seem to last just as long and have similar output but then again i'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to batteries. I took a carbine lowlight/night fighting class awhile back and there was A cop there who told me he would never trust his life to anything powered by AA batteries, any guess as to why he would say that?
Going back to your original request, I don't think it's even possible to find a light that accepts dual AA and dual CR123 - at least not of any quality.

A single battery light? Sure. All it requires for AA's is a slight extension tube, which also acts a a support due to the smaller diameter of the AA battery. The added length on a single battery light isn't that big a deal for the average punter, and the convenience of battery choice outweighs any downside in added size or even light output.

Things change once you venture into the land of 2x battery powered lights.

- Most people going to a 2 battery setup do so for one reason - maximum output.

- When it comes to dual battery lights, the length becomes significant. Not only would you need 2 tubes and 2 adapters, but 2x AA batteries are the same length as 3x CR123's. You're asking manufacturers to make a light as long as 3 CR123's, but only have the output of 2x AA's. A dedicated 2x AA light? Sure. But with a dual option needing multiple parts. Manufacturers will see it as a waste of time, especially on a weapons mounted light. Nobody needing a weapon light wants a light 30% bigger than it needs to be with 60% less output than a light that size could produce. The added production parts and increased costs? Nobody would buy that.

I get the convenience of being able to use two different battery types - especially with the cost and availability of CR123a's in certain areas compared to AA's - but modularity has it's limits, and dual battery systems tend to reach that limit rather quickly.
~ Russ

JF89

Post by JF89 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:15 am

rooks wrote:
JF89 wrote: How so? I have no problems using CR123s as long as I can run AAs too. Lithiums AAs seem to last just as long and have similar output but then again i'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to batteries. I took a carbine lowlight/night fighting class awhile back and there was A cop there who told me he would never trust his life to anything powered by AA batteries, any guess as to why he would say that?
Going back to your original request, I don't think it's even possible to find a light that accepts dual AA and dual CR123 - at least not of any quality.

A single battery light? Sure. All it requires for AA's is a slight extension tube, which also acts a a support due to the smaller diameter of the AA battery. The added length on a single battery light isn't that big a deal for the average punter, and the convenience of battery choice outweighs any downside in added size or even light output.

Things change once you venture into the land of 2x battery powered lights.

- Most people going to a 2 battery setup do so for one reason - maximum output.

- When it comes to dual battery lights, the length becomes significant. Not only would you need 2 tubes and 2 adapters, but 2x AA batteries are the same length as 3x CR123's. You're asking manufacturers to make a light as long as 3 CR123's, but only have the output of 2x AA's. A dedicated 2x AA light? Sure. But with a dual option needing multiple parts. Manufacturers will see it as a waste of time, especially on a weapons mounted light. Nobody needing a weapon light wants a light 30% bigger than it needs to be with 60% less output than a light that size could produce. The added production parts and increased costs? Nobody would buy that.

I get the convenience of being able to use two different battery types - especially with the cost and availability of CR123a's in certain areas compared to AA's - but modularity has it's limits, and dual battery systems tend to reach that limit rather quickly.
That Streamlight flashlight I posted a link too has a bigger version that takes dual AAs or duel CR123s with an output of 600 lumens. I'm not sure of the quality but Streamlight has a good reputation. I'm one of them prepper types and battery availability is something I consider when buying flashlights. I will probably get another Surefire that takes CR123s for HD and taking lowlight type classes(I caught shit for not running enough light at the last one) but I still want options.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:12 pm

Ok. So I think the solution is to buy a 600 lumen light for the rifle (which runs off of CR123s) and another AA light (less bright) you can attach if there is a PAW and you run out of CR123s.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

JF89

Post by JF89 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:39 pm

woodsghost wrote:Ok. So I think the solution is to buy a 600 lumen light for the rifle (which runs off of CR123s) and another AA light (less bright) you can attach if there is a PAW and you run out of CR123s.
Well i'm from Oregon so I dont support the use of logic.

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:01 pm

I must say, finding a good AA torch is hard enough.

I ended up getting a pelican 7200, 3.7V lithium ion 18650 battery, charges via usb, 900 lumen. I've had it for a year and my only complaint is that I wish I could run the torch while charging the battery, other than that its been working well for my use of it (throwing lots of light at a problem)
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019
New South Wales Bushfires 2019

rooks

Post by rooks » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:28 pm

JF89 wrote:
That Streamlight flashlight I posted a link too has a bigger version that takes dual AAs or duel CR123s with an output of 600 lumens. I'm not sure of the quality but Streamlight has a good reputation. I'm one of them prepper types and battery availability is something I consider when buying flashlights. I will probably get another Surefire that takes CR123s for HD and taking lowlight type classes(I caught shit for not running enough light at the last one) but I still want options.
Sorry mate, but I don't think that's correct.

Streamlight offer a 2x battery light in AA or CR123, but not one that can use both. They are two separate lights. Only the single battery version can use both battery types.

The dual battery options for the larger size light use 2x CR1223 or a single 18650.
~ Russ

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”