$300+ gloves?!! Seriously?!

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

$300+ gloves?!! Seriously?!

Post by moab » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:32 pm

I must sound naive to some. But seriously. $300+ gloves?! And this was posted in the deal thread.

New link to their glove page:

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens ... rder=price

They better do a whole lot more than just keep my hands warm. I honestly didn't know $300+ gloves existed. If my grandfather were still alive he'd laugh and shake his head with disgust. He'd be shocked. I think he passed on 18 acres back in the day for $1800 cause he wasn't sure he could make the payments. But who would pay $300 for a pair of gloves? I mean if it was the beginning of Kevlar and these were bulletproof and I was a cop on the south side (I have no idea if that's actually the bad side or not.) of Chicago - maybe - just maybe I'd look at them without laughing.

I haven't even read the description. But ya know what? I don't think I need too. Unless it says their gonna make Jesus come back or treat me like Pamela Anderson on a bender - I just don't get it. Maybe I'm just getting to old. Or to poor thinking. Or I don't know. This just seems ridiculous.

What the hell can a pair of gloves do for you that demands a $300 price tag?

P.
Last edited by moab on Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

TacAir

Re: $300+ gloves?!! Seriously?!

Post by TacAir » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:43 pm

Protect these hands so they can play da squeezebox?
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:03 pm

Does seem pricey. You can get Prado dress italian leather gloves lined in cashmere for about the same price.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:19 am

raptor wrote:Does seem pricey. You can get Prado dress italian leather gloves lined in cashmere for about the same price.
Orsini's yeah but for really nice gloves you are going to have to go big.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:55 am

moab wrote:What the hell can a pair of gloves do for you that demands a $300 price tag?

P.
I've literally sat here for 10 minutes trying to come up with an intelligent rectum answer for this.... I've got nothing.

Re: Southside Chicago: street gangs date back to Civil War era when the Irish immigrants banned together for protection from natives. Then after the Civil War, emancipated slaves started settling in the area and formed gangs for the same reason (and also for protection from the Irish). The neighborhood was and still is very racially diverse with many different ethnic gangs. The term 'Southside of Chicago' being synonymous with gang violence dates back to the 1920's when Al Capone and his Chicago Outfit went to war with the Irish gangs for what would (and did) result in Capone controlling all of Chicago's crime syndicates. But, today the Southside is no more dangerous than any other Chicago neighborhood- I would not want to be a cop anywhere in Chicago.
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:38 am

the south side isn't the worst part of Chicago currently.
http://heyjackass.com/wp-content/upload ... ty_map.png

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:19 pm

moab wrote:I must sound naive to some. But seriously. $300+ gloves?! And this was posted in the deal thread.

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/cata ... q=multicam

They better do a whole lot more than just keep my hands warm. I honestly didn't know $300+ gloves existed. If my grandfather were still alive he'd laugh and shake his head with disgust. He'd be shocked. I think he passed on 18 acres back in the day for $1800 cause he wasn't sure he could make the payments. But who would pay $300 for a pair of gloves? I mean if it was the beginning of Kevlar and these were bulletproof and I was a cop on the south side (I have no idea if that's actually the bad side or not.) of Chicago - maybe - just maybe I'd look at them without laughing.

I haven't even read the description. But ya know what? I don't think I need too. Unless it says their gonna make Jesus come back or treat me like Pamela Anderson on a bender - I just don't get it. Maybe I'm just getting to old. Or to poor thinking. Or I don't know. This just seems ridiculous.

What the hell can a pair of gloves do for you that demands a $300 price tag?

P.
...... if we take the time to actually look at the whole story.

Outdoor Research makes a lot of excellent outdoor equipment at really fair prices. For example, the Mt. Baker shell mitts are normally $99 and on sale for $49 and perform the exact same function as the MGS TR Mitt Shells: protect your hands from cold and wet mountaineering conditions. I use a lot of their gear in those conditions.

The MGS gloves are part of the special but limited military contracts that OR wins. If you want to buy just one instead of 1,000 then you'll pay a lot more. The military has lots of small contracts with companies like OR. If they need to buy a million they put out a contract and you'll see it goes to the lowest bidder.

Imagine Ford shutting down an entire production line and retooling it for custom specs, multicam paint and upholstery.
Ford is NOT selling just one truck like that for $30K even if it is just an F150 pickup truck to us civvie smucks.

My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:41 pm

emclean wrote:the south side isn't the worst part of Chicago currently.
http://heyjackass.com/wp-content/upload ... ty_map.png
Don't tell Big Bad Leroy Brown that...

300 bucks is admittedly a lot for a pair of gloves, but people pay more for less clothing all the time. Personal value judgement I guess. Kanye West sold plain white t-shirts for 120 bucks each and sold out...

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:56 pm

Only available in Multicam? <Sniff> How droll....

:roll:
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:03 pm

Dabster wrote:Only available in Multicam? <Sniff> How droll....

:roll:
Other patterns exist? :lol:

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:16 am

no longer a pair of gloves in the link, but I can assume what they look like.

Brief refresher in economics:

The price of an item is based on HOW MUCH IT COSTS TO MAKE. It has nothing to do with how much value it actually gives to the customer. An Arcteryx Goretex Pro shell should not cost the same as a Frogg Toggs jacket simply because the latter keeps the rain off just as well.

Gloves are hard to make, highly articulated gloves even more so. Jackets are easy by comparison, does a jacket give more value to most customers? certainly. Does that magically make gloves cheaper to manufacture? Sorry, it does not.

So while we can talk all day about how none of us have a use for $300 gloves (I know I don't) if someone out there does want hyper complex gloves, they can't expect to not pay a crapton for them simply because they would rather not.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:05 pm

Why ya bothering with those cheap $300 gloves when you can get some quality heated ones for $500 https://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/cata ... gory/2206/

That said I'm sure there are tasks/jobs where these type of gloves and expense is validated, especially if your AO is somewhere in the artic circle.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:26 pm

JackBauer wrote:Why ya bothering with those cheap $300 gloves when you can get some quality heated ones for $500 https://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/cata ... gory/2206/

That said I'm sure there are tasks/jobs where these type of gloves and expense is validated, especially if your AO is somewhere in the artic circle.

:mrgreen: Those are for rich ski weenies: "perfect glove for resort and backcountry adventures"

moab

Post by moab » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:18 pm

Fixed the link. Directed it at their glove page. Price high to low. They even have a pair of $500 gloves but out of stock.

I can buy:

More than half an AK or AR for $300.
The nicest backpack I want for $300.
The best hooker in Odaboat, Iowa.
A really nice down sleeping bag or two.
A pair or two of Danner boots that will last me a lifetime.
More ammo than I can carry.
More than half of a new Glock.
One of HPG's kit bags and a poncho liner jacket (whatever they call them) and probably something else...
Three nice heater light weight down jackets.
And a shitload of gloves that will protect your hands for years to come.

The list goes on...
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:11 pm

It's primarily for those that cost is not a concern.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:01 am

moab wrote:Fixed the link. Directed it at their glove page. Price high to low. They even have a pair of $500 gloves but out of stock.

I can buy:

One of HPG's kit bags and a poncho liner jacket (whatever they call them) and probably something else...

The list goes on...
In all seriousness, everyone will approach this type of purchase based on their perceived needs and their income level. The same arguments can be used against buying a 2016 supercharged Range Rover instead of a 2016 V6 4Runner (and so on and so on). That didn't stop Land Rover from selling over seventy thousand "overpriced" vehicles in the US in 2015 and probably eighty thousand in 2016. If there were no buyers the $300 gloves would not be offered for sale.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:31 am

The car analogy is a good point. People are shocked at $300 gloves (because they are 300% more then $100 gloves) and yet casually talk about differences of $10-20K with cars (afterall, whats an extra 10k on top of an already $50,000 vehicle?). I've said it many times on here and other forums, when you buy cheap cars you have a lot of money left over for the luxuries that are perceived as expensive but have a low absolute value.

I had a discussion on a hunting forum in which everyone was complaining about the price difference of a higher quality belt pouch (like a difference of $20), when I would bet large sums of money that at least a few of them have north of $80k wrapped up in large diesel pickups, so why do they insist on nickel and diming themselves on everything else?

The other example that comes to mind is That Guy (we all know one) that will put $1000+ in a carbine and insist on paying less then $200 on optics. Or That Other Guy that doesn't see why a holster for a $600 handgun should cost more then $25.

Its all about priorities, and I decided a long time ago that I'd rather have a bunch of $500> fancy stuff then one $10,000< (not so) fancy thing in the driveway. Some people extend this mentality to even larger things, like houses. When your priorities are being outside a lot, best value can take on a whole different perspective. If your passion is living out a van and skiing/snowboarding your life away all the Glocks, defensive carbines and ammo in the world won't keep your hands warm.

I have ridiculously silly amounts of money into backpacks, because I have a Backpack Thing. I'm not going to point a finger at the guy with a Glove Thing, or try to come up with reasons why my Backpack Thing is a better use of money then his Glove Thing. Pretty easy to assume that there are a few people on here with a Gun Thing that many would find silly as well, and why on earth would you spend $800 on a fancy AR when a $100 Mosin shoots bulletz out the pointy end just the same?

AK, Glock, Pie.

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:41 pm

Sticker shock
Its everywhere. I will admit, I have spent just spent over a thousand dollars on gloves, although that was for several pairs. They are not great, poor dexterity - retail water, good for only 3 or 4 good outings then disposed.
But like all things, the laws of supply and demand apply. The gloves i just bought include fancy labels with an nfpa number relating to use in structure fires.
Without that little tag they would probably only be worth 30-40 dollars a pair.
I can not comment on the gloves the op referenced, not in my wheelhouse. But in general a large portion of any consumer product is tied up in the label. Not just designer name tags, but target market, legal, r&d, and of course- marketing.
I collect safety sunglasses the way some folks here collect packs. I am very lightblind and do not leave home without shades. I keep spares everywhere - i have jacksons that i get for 4 bucks a pair wiley x and ess that are in the 80-100 range, Oakleys over 200. They all use similar materials to accomplish similar purposes. They alleet z87.1 standards (i will not wear non-safety rated shades). There is little to know functional difference between the jacksons and the oakleys, so why do i have so many of each?
Because I can.
Diversity of choice is the backbone of capitalism- we the consumers are surely the heels.

moab

Post by moab » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:27 pm

I could see if they were lifesaving. Like a fireman's glove that was fireproof or something. (Or had some artistic value.) But these are just the plain old keep my hands warm and dry variety. Correct me if I'm wrong. These aren't magical gloves right?

And Ya. A guy can spend money on a Maserati or a Chevy. But at least a Maserati will "FAR" outperform a Chevy any day. But not if your trying to haul rocks. How well will these gloves "outperform" a $20 pair? Not much from what I can tell.

( And again I understand artistic value. These don't fit in that category.)

But if a guy's buying a pair of gloves to just stay warm and dry. Come on. $300? Even if a person had it. Donate $200 to a charity and buy a $100 pair of gloves. You're still buying a whole lot more glove than you need. And not being a societal glutton. I can afford to buy a $300 pair of gloves. But I still won't. It's just...stupid.

***No one has still explained what these "magical" gloves do to make them worth $300.***

IT's like a snake oil salesman to me. "In this bag I hold the key to warm and dry hands forever! For a mere $300 you'll never get wet or cold hands again!". Ya. Uh. There's a pair at every single big box store in your town for well under $20 that will do the same thing. Unless I'm missing something here. Again, if these are magical please let me know. Or made out of unborn unicorn skin. I still don't see the need for $300 worth of gloves.

Just my 2 cents.

moab

Post by moab » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:52 pm

teotwaki wrote:
moab wrote:Fixed the link. Directed it at their glove page. Price high to low. They even have a pair of $500 gloves but out of stock.

I can buy:

The list goes on...
In all seriousness, everyone will approach this type of purchase based on their perceived needs and their income level. The same arguments can be used against buying a 2016 supercharged Range Rover instead of a 2016 V6 4Runner (and so on and so on). That didn't stop Land Rover from selling over seventy thousand "overpriced" vehicles in the US in 2015 and probably eighty thousand in 2016. If there were no buyers the $300 gloves would not be offered for sale.
This argument would work if the mark up was that similar. But the difference between a $20 pair of gloves and these $300 ones is not the same thing mathematically. I mean how many hundreds or thousands of percent mark up is that? If you were comparing Maserati's and Chevy's then ya. But then again if your trying to haul dirt...

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:39 pm

I guess you could brag to people that they cost 300 dollars and look down on people that can't afford 300 dollar gloves. I kinda think that's the whole point.

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
moab wrote:What the hell can a pair of gloves do for you that demands a $300 price tag?

P.
I've literally sat here for 10 minutes trying to come up with an intelligent rectum answer for this.... I've got nothing.

Re: Southside Chicago: street gangs date back to Civil War era when the Irish immigrants banned together for protection from natives. Then after the Civil War, emancipated slaves started settling in the area and formed gangs for the same reason (and also for protection from the Irish). The neighborhood was and still is very racially diverse with many different ethnic gangs. The term 'Southside of Chicago' being synonymous with gang violence dates back to the 1920's when Al Capone and his Chicago Outfit went to war with the Irish gangs for what would (and did) result in Capone controlling all of Chicago's crime syndicates. But, today the Southside is no more dangerous than any other Chicago neighborhood- I would not want to be a cop anywhere in Chicago.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:11 am

moab wrote: How well will these gloves "outperform" a $20 pair? Not much from what I can tell.

Please supply the link to the $20 gloves with Goretex, Primaloft Silver and a battery operated heating element.
No really, I'll wait.
moab wrote: This argument would work if the mark up was that similar. But the difference between a $20 pair of gloves and these $300 ones is not the same thing mathematically. I mean how many hundreds or thousands of percent mark up is that?
I'm really at a loss for words. If you somehow think the only difference between a $20 pair of cowhide ropers at the corner hardware store and an insulated waterproof mitten with zippers, heating elements, 50+ seams and an unlimited lifetime warranty is the markup there is a reason this conversation isn't going anywhere.

Really, start poking around the OR site. There are tons of gloves at a HUGE range of price-points. And guess what, there is a pretty linear relationship between materials, complexity and cost.

Notice how the ONLY gloves on that page over $200 are battery operated heated gloves? Seems a pretty easy leap of deduction to conclude that possibly the heating device that OR uses is perhaps a wee bit expensive. And probably really expensive gloves aren't in that high of demand, so they probably only do small batches of them, which increases the cost even more. I'm not going to say there isn't some markup arbitrage happening over at OR, but to claim that they just picked a few gloves randomly and jacked the markup to 11 just to see if they could is absurd.

I once had an ESEE 4. It costs around $120. I sold it because I liked my $12 mora better. Well those con artists over at ESEE ought to be slapped, because the ESEE 4 cost TEN TIMES what the mora does. And they both have a 4" blade and cut cheese, they're practically indistinguishable! Can't be a single reason by the ESEE should cost 10 times what a mora does!

To think that an items price should be lower because you can't see that added value is really the same as me saying that a Maserati should cost $4000 because the old toyota I bought on craigslist can drive the speed limit. I'm not a car guy, I can't list all the reasons that a Maserati costs more then a 1997 Toyota 4runner, but it isn't that hard to deduce. Guess what, a Maserati probably isn't for me, but I'm not going to accuse them of ripping people off just because I can't justify the expense.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:42 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:
moab wrote: How well will these gloves "outperform" a $20 pair? Not much from what I can tell.

Please supply the link to the $20 gloves with Goretex, Primaloft Silver and a battery operated heating element.
No really, I'll wait.
moab wrote: This argument would work if the mark up was that similar. But the difference between a $20 pair of gloves and these $300 ones is not the same thing mathematically. I mean how many hundreds or thousands of percent mark up is that?
I'm really at a loss for words. If you somehow think the only difference between a $20 pair of cowhide ropers at the corner hardware store and an insulated waterproof mitten with zippers, heating elements, 50+ seams and an unlimited lifetime warranty is the markup there is a reason this conversation isn't going anywhere.

Really, start poking around the OR site. There are tons of gloves at a HUGE range of price-points. And guess what, there is a pretty linear relationship between materials, complexity and cost.

Notice how the ONLY gloves on that page over $200 are battery operated heated gloves? Seems a pretty easy leap of deduction to conclude that possibly the heating device that OR uses is perhaps a wee bit expensive. And probably really expensive gloves aren't in that high of demand, so they probably only do small batches of them, which increases the cost even more. I'm not going to say there isn't some markup arbitrage happening over at OR, but to claim that they just picked a few gloves randomly and jacked the markup to 11 just to see if they could is absurd.

I once had an ESEE 4. It costs around $120. I sold it because I liked my $12 mora better. Well those con artists over at ESEE ought to be slapped, because the ESEE 4 cost TEN TIMES what the mora does. And they both have a 4" blade and cut cheese, they're practically indistinguishable! Can't be a single reason by the ESEE should cost 10 times what a mora does!

To think that an items price should be lower because you can't see that added value is really the same as me saying that a Maserati should cost $4000 because the old toyota I bought on craigslist can drive the speed limit. I'm not a car guy, I can't list all the reasons that a Maserati costs more then a 1997 Toyota 4runner, but it isn't that hard to deduce. Guess what, a Maserati probably isn't for me, but I'm not going to accuse them of ripping people off just because I can't justify the expense.
This.

Still, I would not spend $300 on a pair of gloves. But -meh-
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

B9ev
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by B9ev » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:46 pm

I have an inexpensive pair of gloves from Walmart/Target/Kmart/I don't recall where I bought them that I bought on a day that was cold and I needed warm gloves. They do not work as well as a much more expensive name brand pair that I have nor are they as comfortable or as natural to wear. As far as $300 being a lot for gloves there are so many factors involved that it is a moot point.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”