My Purposeless Guns

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

My Purposeless Guns

Post by Stercutus » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:51 pm

I have been doing some fall cleaning and organizing. I have owned the below guns for some time (5-25 years) and they have since been superseded by other firearms. I have not shot any of them in several years. They no longer fill a role:

Mosin - collector value?
Enfield - collector value?
Marlin 881 - ?
HiPoint Carbine 9mm - ?

Just wondering if anyone else had similar guns that have fallen into a unused state?
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

woodsghost

Re: My Purposeless Guns

Post by woodsghost » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:24 pm

My personal opinion is all those are great for cashes, lending to friends, and trading down the road.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:25 pm

It's hard to say. A number of my long guns fell into disuse while I was away at college and had no car. Since I've come home I've started the process of dusting them off, but I still haven't got to a few of them.

I have a purpose in mind for nearly all my firearms, but it's often not a very practical purpose.

The one I'm least sure about is the Rem 700 in .375 H&H that I got as a graduation present. I've got other hunting rifles that are more than adequate in terms of power for hunting moose and black bear, and they cost a lot less in dollars and pain to shoot. It's very light, and has iron sights, so it would make a pretty good woods/bear defense rifle. The downside being that follow-up shots are slow. (Some people also wouldn't trust a push-feed as a bear defense rifle).

Maybe an anti-material rifle? Would a solid with a more rounded nose or a more pointy nose be better for hunting MRAPs? :crazy:

If I end up enjoying long-range shooting and get good enough at it then a few years down the road maybe it would work as the basis of a .338 Lapua build? It's a pretty long action, so I think it might work. It's not something I've put a lot of thought into.

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:33 pm

Stercutus wrote:Mosin - collector value?
Marlin 881 - ?
HiPoint Carbine 9mm - ?
Having long guns strategically placed around the homestead has proven pretty handy, but if you don't have livestock you might not need to run out the door with a rifle very often.

Also it depends on what you consider to be safe and responsible storage. I have a niece (cousin?) that is entering the highly mobile but empty-headed stage so we need to police up the firearms we've got stashed everywhere.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:54 pm

wHY dO yOu asK . wAIt I KnOw...Image
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:32 pm

I know this is probably blasphemy, but my 15-22 has fallen into this category since I've had my AR. I don't get to go to the range a lot so I'd really rather spend the time working on my shooting with a centerfire rifle when I do get to go. When I went up to my father's house in the country I brought my 15-22 and my AR, I maybe shot one magazine out of the 15-22 and 200 rounds out of the AR. I also live in the suburbs so pest control isn't allowed with a 22lr :awesome:
Wife and I have been talking about giving it to her cousin who's our age since he has a pistol but not a rifle, this way I know it'll be getting used and taken care of :cry:

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:09 pm

If you bought a Mosin nagant rifle a few years ago and still have it, it may have been a great investment. They are worth a lot more than what you probably paid for it.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:23 pm

FlashDaddy wrote:If you bought a Mosin nagant rifle a few years ago and still have it, it may have been a great investment. They are worth a lot more than what you probably paid for it.
It is. I paid $300 for two of them and two cans of ammo in 2010. Came fully equipped. I never through I would see them North of $200. I still have most of the ammo. Shooting them was not as much fun as I thought it might be.

Of course I never thought the Enfield would be selling for over $100 either. But the Enfield is a dozen times nicer than the Mosin so it makes sense they would appreciate well.
You go over and under
I go through

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:43 pm

I sold my Mosin years ago, and while I didn't really make any money I couldn't be happier, don't miss it one bit. Every now and then I get the odd bug to buy old, semi exotic or classic surplus guns, but resisting that urge is what keeps me from having old, disused guns.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:20 am

Just wondering if anyone else had similar guns that have fallen into a unused state?
dozens, including 6 MN's, 5 of which haven't ben out of their zcorp bags in a couple of years or more. I have started "filing" away the guns that I don't shoot. after cleaning they go into a corrosion resistant bag, then boxed in forensic boxes, and put into storage.

OTOH, I have been collecting guns for 20+years, and do not have them just for SD reasons, YMMV

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:59 am

emclean wrote:
dozens, including 6 MN's, 5 of which haven't ben out of their zcorp bags in a couple of years or more. I have started "filing" away the guns that I don't shoot. after cleaning they go into a corrosion resistant bag, then boxed in forensic boxes, and put into storage.

OTOH, I have been collecting guns for 20+years, and do not have them just for SD reasons, YMMV
Your grandkids will love you even after you are gone.
You go over and under
I go through

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:15 pm

I've got two guns that serve no real purpose other than I wanted them at the time and I thought they were cool.

One is my Mosin M91/30 and the other is my Mossberg bullpup 12 gauge.

It's been awhile since I've shot either one of them, but I probably will run some rounds through them the next time I go to the range.

ROCK6
Favorite Zombie Movies: Still working on it!

Post by ROCK6 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:16 pm

I have probably a dozen or so that fall into that category. I still do the annual safe-cleaning so they get maintained, but I don't really shoot them too much or if at all anymore. I don't really have any "collector" firearms; all are users. Most of my Milsurp (a couple of .308 Enfields, M44, FR8 and a .303 Enfield) are really what I would consider "loaners" to close family or friends who may not be armed properly or possibly traveling without firearms (I have several military buddies in that last category).

Heck I even have a half-dozen 7.62x39 rifles (SKSs, RPK, AKs, etc.) that I rarely shoot, but have on hand with plenty of ammo/magazines and associated magazine carriers.

I will downsize eventually with the plan to offload many in the collection for my son and hopefully some grandkids in another 10-15 years. I will say, that a varied collection does help those interested get to sample a larger selection...that is when my less-used firearms get the most trigger time.

ROCK6

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:37 pm

Stercutus wrote:I have been doing some fall cleaning and organizing. I have owned the below guns for some time (5-25 years) and they have since been superseded by other firearms. I have not shot any of them in several years. They no longer fill a role:

Mosin - collector value?
Marlin 881 - ?
HiPoint Carbine 9mm - ?

So If you have a basic Load out of Rifle,pistol,shotgun. (even add a carbine and smaller concealable pistol ) . Any newer ( to you) firearm supersedes the first owned firearm of that category. But I would not consider them to be purposeless. I don't need a reason for a particular firearm beyond want. I also don't need a reason to keep a particular firearm beyond the intended reliability of said firearm. I've been lucky in that every firearm I've acquired has proven reliable in the long run. Some needed a longer than expected break in period or a little tweaking . but I've never needed to unload a faulty or crap gun. I research long and hard before deciding on a purchase. I've never felt the need or in fact have sold a single firearm . I have no purposeless guns.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:36 pm

I have a few that were gifts from family that I know the weapon will outlive them. I have a 38spl that my grandfather carried in the 1950s while he worked at a shipping company to stop any robbers. He passed away probably 10 years ago no and I just keep it to tell his story to my son. My father isn't really a gun guy, so I was the one my grandmother gave it to. I have a break action 20g that my other grandfather gave me. As he aged he moved from 12g to 20g. After he reached 82 he moved down to .410 and gave me the 20g.

I have a few rifles I keep for friends in the event of a disaster, I have some less prepared friends coming over as the bug out plan. Though once I moved from Michigan to Georgia I learned that most my new friends already have plenty of their own. It just is a different state of mind down here and I went from that guy with too many guns to a normal amount.
The future is for those who prepare.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:08 pm

I have my great grandfather's 38 and my grandfather's 1911 from Korea. Both are too personally valuable to me for any more than very light duty range use. Anyhow, for actually shooting, I way prefer my px4 anyhow.

Mosin still gets use despite having a way better bolt action. .300 wby is expensive to feed...

quazi

Post by quazi » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:06 pm

Confucius wrote:Mosin still gets use despite having a way better bolt action. .300 wby is expensive to feed...
A few years back I was going to get a relative a box of .300 Weatherby for Christmas, but when I went to the store the stuff they had was ~$90/box. :shock:

At the time a person could buy a Mosin for the cost of a box of .300 wby ammo. :lol:

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:44 pm

I have Luger that's now over 100 years old I don't shoot. I couldn't say if it's reliable or not but I am not selling it. It's been all over Europe twice. Now it lives here. Who knows where it will be in another 100 years.

flybynight wrote:
Stercutus wrote:I have been doing some fall cleaning and organizing. I have owned the below guns for some time (5-25 years) and they have since been superseded by other firearms. I have not shot any of them in several years. They no longer fill a role:

Mosin - collector value?
Marlin 881 - ?
HiPoint Carbine 9mm - ?

So If you have a basic Load out of Rifle,pistol,shotgun. (even add a carbine and smaller concealable pistol ) . Any newer ( to you) firearm supersedes the first owned firearm of that category. But I would not consider them to be purposeless. I don't need a reason for a particular firearm beyond want. I also don't need a reason to keep a particular firearm beyond the intended reliability of said firearm. I've been lucky in that every firearm I've acquired has proven reliable in the long run. Some needed a longer than expected break in period or a little tweaking . but I've never needed to unload a faulty or crap gun. I research long and hard before deciding on a purchase. I've never felt the need or in fact have sold a single firearm . I have no purposeless guns.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:22 am

Most of the purposeless guns y'all list are ones that I'm looking for!!! Maybe I need to reevaluate.

For me, I'm at the point where I forget about certain guns until I find them in storage, then remember why I love them. Then put them away, and think I hate them and want to sell them. Then take them out and shoot them and fall in love again.

Guns are worse than ladies, ammaright fellas???
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:30 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:Guns are worse than ladies, ammaright fellas???
Guns are better, they don't mind when you have several to fool around with.

NapalmMan67

Post by NapalmMan67 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:17 pm

Stercutus wrote:
FlashDaddy wrote:If you bought a Mosin nagant rifle a few years ago and still have it, it may have been a great investment. They are worth a lot more than what you probably paid for it.
It is. I paid $300 for two of them and two cans of ammo in 2010. Came fully equipped. I never through I would see them North of $200. I still have most of the ammo. Shooting them was not as much fun as I thought it might be.Of course I never thought the Enfield would be selling for over $100 either. But the Enfield is a dozen times nicer than the Mosin so it makes sense they would appreciate well.
Had similar thoughts. A few years ago I bought a few crates of Mosin surplus ammo with intent to buy one or three rifles eventually. Awhile ago a member at my local range let me shoot a few rounds through his... I quickly came to the conclusion that I wasn't getting $0.23 worth of fun per round of ammo I shot. So here I sit with a few crates of ammo and no rifles to feed them too... Will eventually sell them off and might make a few $ in the process.

Similar was the Yugo M67 ammo I bought crates of and then it went away (although there seems to be some limited around lately) the pricing has gone up stoopid on that too. I wonder what those crates will be worth in a few years? The last time it "dried" up before recent availability at $360.00/case, I saw them sell for North of $700.00. :shock:

And the purposeless guns I can think of off hand are- Kel-Tec Sub 2k, AR15 and Beowulf 50.. Just don't shoot 'em much. I shoot my SKS and Rem 700/308 as far as rifles go. Other than that, the only handgun I have unused is a NIB Glock 19 Talo edition, just never got around to shooting it.

Always have a buddy and a backup plan!

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”