Which international newspaper/source?

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Krieger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Which international newspaper/source?

Post by Krieger » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:08 am

Hi guys.
I am trying to keep up and always have a general idea about important events around the globe, but I am not satisfied with norwegian news sources so I have to find something else. Sometimes I find a small article in a norwegian newspaper or on facebook and then I start googling about the event and then read about it from different sources, but I feel that I must surely miss a lot of world events that mainstream media doesn't cover.

I don't want this to slip into politcs so please just avoid commenting on why important events are not covered by some news sources.

My goal with this post is to find one or more objective source for international news, and a reliable source for american news would also be nice as what happens in the US affects all of the world. I also suspect that I might have to get some news through sources that are not very objective but who covers events that others do not cover at all. If you feel that I am right about that statement please add a link to a source you feel I should check out.

I would also like a recommendation on a free, online gun news source :)

Sent fra min GT-I9295 via Tapatalk
Scandinavians unite : http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 88&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Which international newspaper/source?

Post by teotwaki » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:43 am

For news you could bounce between CNN and Fox Networks and compare coverage, taking into account any bias each source has :mrgreen:

For guns the NRA site might be enough depending on how much tech and politics you desire.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:03 am

Reuters tends to be reliable and less biased than many i.e. more news than opinion.
The Wall Street Journal and Financial Times are also good but they are pay to view. Also more geared towards business news.
I have also been reading Sputnik News lately. It is based in Russia, but as an alternate source of news (not primary).

BBC is IMO like CNN in news but it tends to have a little less opinion than CNN.

links to sites:
http://www.reuters.com/
https://sputniknews.com/
http://www.bbc.com/
https://www.ft.com/
Last edited by raptor on Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:23 am

I've found Al Jazeera to actually be quite good about covering stories that American sources tend to not focus on.

quazi

Post by quazi » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:09 pm

I have France24 in my news feed. I'm not sure about how biased they are, but I like that they cover stories from the Fracophone world that I don't here as much about in U.S. based news.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:40 pm

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:08 pm

News sites (original content generators):
CNN
BBC
Al Jazeera English

News services:
AFP (Agence France Presse)
Reuters

Reposters:
MSN
Google news

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:15 pm

I'm not going to say anything about the politics of it, or the unbiased of it... but for stories in America that may not get much coverage I usually browse presstv.ir It's Iranian news source (hence the .ir), however I found out about a lot of news before it hit even fringe (facebook etc) news sites here in the US.

Of course I also go to all the major ones like BBC, CNN, RT, Reuters, Al Jazeera. Even with the majors they generally wont report much on their own countries. RT wont report a lot on Russia, Al Jazeera wont report a lot to do with Qatar.

I browse the fringe sites but make sure I try to fact checked because there is generally only 1-2% fact in most of those sites. They do get enough (generally) correct that I can start searching to find a more reliable source.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:59 pm

The Asia Times Online (atimes.com) is good for non-Western-Hemisphere perspective.
BBC
The Guardian
Al Jazeera
Reuters
CBC
The Economist
The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists often has some very good, very in-depth reporting on a number of things that are underreported elsewhere. Some content is behind a paywall.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:07 pm

Hey Everyone:

ABC - Australian Broadcasting Corporation
BBC - British Broadcasting Corporation
CBC - Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
NHK - World Radio, Japan
APM - American Public Media
PBS - Public Broadcasting Service (USA)
NPR - National Public Radio

I use iTunes as a podcatcher. Listening to podcasts is pretty what I do all day long, now that I am retired. You will have no end of news choices with podcasts. You can also go to websites & catch the news there.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:07 pm

Real Clear Politics/ Business/ History/ Defense (etc) (an aggregator and producer of biased articles that tend to present one sided arguments and then a counterpoint argument)
WSJ - Requires payment but worth it, obviously pro capitalist and state sponsored capitalist
The Economist - Same
Scientific American Great on most science issues
PBS (news only)
Al Jazeera - Sometimes OK on non-ME issues essentially impossible for them to be unbiased on ME issues
Reuters- OK, but did hate a bit on one candidate during the last election cycle, neutral to other
Chicago Tribune- A shadow of their former selves after being compromised and carved up in bankruptcy they are still surprisingly good at times.
The Daily Planet- If you can overlook the Kal-El bias
The Detroit News - One of the better news websites
The Stars and Stripes - Mostly limited to military issues
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Krieger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Krieger » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:42 am

Thanks for a lot of great suggestions!! :) I will look into these links!

Sent fra min GT-I9295 via Tapatalk
Scandinavians unite : http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 88&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”