When TV shows and movies get it wrong

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: When TV shows and movies get it wrong

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:07 pm

I just remembered an error in guns from a movie I watched years ago (20 plus years). I forget the name of the movie, but in one scene one character fights off a pair of Russian assassins. After subduing the Russian goons, the character remarks that one was armed with a Makarov.

Cut to the actor holding what is clearly a Glock 19. :lol:

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:42 pm

Beowolf wrote:Ignoring the unnecessary political commentary...

If you go back to the transcript, Abby describes the effects on the ammo after impact, notes that such effects explain the significant damage to the victim's first, and then Ducky notes that the shooter must have intended to cause the victim great pain (connecting the effects of the ammo in the particular case--not the general purpose of it--to the motive of the shooter) or was unfamiliar with the weapon (read=ammo).

Regarding the Criminal Minds episode and home schooling, I'd need to go back to that one, but if it's the religious group in Colorado, that wasn't the implication made as I recall. And the 7.62 remark was made upon finding an empty rifle rack and remarking that the unsub took his entire arsenal with him. A picture of Goehring elsewhere in the episode showed him with what looked like an AK variant, so the remark may have been in reference to that. But you're right--when they finally find the bad guy, he's armed with a 5.56.

There seems to be quite a tendency to jump at shadows when it comes to catching "errors" in TV.
It was the one where the guy kidnaps an infant, raises him as his son... Abused him in the worst possible way, then attempts to sell him on the deep web.

The kid was homeschooled and the Matthew Gray Gubler character says something to the effect of that the only reason someone would homeschool their child would be to limit their exposure to the outside world.
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:24 pm

Nope, not that one. Entire transcript is here.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Hiroshima_Morphine

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:37 pm

Well now you got me wondering which one it was.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:48 pm

Sounds more like an episode of Law and Order to me, Hiro.

They had an episode that was really similar. It involved an older man and a younger kid who was taught by the older one how to be self sufficient and how to be a sniper. I forget the name of the episode or even what season of Law and Order it was.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:38 am

I finnally got around to watching Red Dawn (2012). Aside from the fact that it sucked:

- Lots of unlimited ammo reloads
- The sniper getting ready to kill the mayor has the cap on his scope
- EMP seems to have only effected stuff that the was needed to be gone to advance the plot, stuff that was needed to keep the plot rolling was unaffected.
- Ammo type did not match weapon in a few cases

Poor Thor, if only he knew then what he knows now. The original while far fetched was a good flick.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Hiroshima_Morphine

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:20 am

The Walking Dead - S. 7, Ep. 4 - Service

Original air date: 13 Nov. 2016

Rosita disposes of a small group of walkers to acquire a gun, which is empty. The gun is small, looks like Bersa Thunder .380 (if some one knows, please post).

Meanwhile at Alexandria, Neegan and Co. seize all of Rick and Co.'s guns & ammo.

Neegan gets ahold of a Desert Eagle which Rick & Co. got from the Saviors outpost they exterminated.

Neegan fires DE, camera focuses on spent casing from that shot lying on street of Alexandria.

Final scene in episode is Rosita finding spent casing and taking it to Eugene and asking him to make her a bullet.

For sake of arguing, let's assume the Desert Eagle was a .50. Yes, I know it does come in other calibers, but .50 is the iconic Desert Eagle round. There is no way to modify that spent casing to fit Rosita's new gun. Again, if someone can accurately identify the spent case, my argument will either stand or completely fall apart.
Last edited by Hiroshima_Morphine on Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:56 am

The Walking Dead - S. 7, Ep. 4 - Service

Perhaps it was just me, but it appeared that Michonne took 8-9 shots with that 5-shot bolt gun, and the last 3 without manipulating the bolt...or maybe there was a magazine with 10 rounds that I didn't see and she has trained with RBM.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Hiroshima_Morphine

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:07 am

Not just you.

She took at least 8 shots, probably more.

Gun had no external mag that I saw, limiting capacity to 5+1 at the most.

And she did not manipulate bolt on final shots.

But I attributed it to editing/time jumping.

Good fiction makes us suspend ourselves from reality and explain away plot holes. But then, sometimes, there are assholes like us on the internet that go, 'nope, I'm calling bullshit on that!' :awesome:

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:14 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:The Walking Dead - S. 7, Ep. 4 - Service

Perhaps it was just me, but it appeared that Michonne took 8-9 shots with that 5-shot bolt gun, and the last 3 without manipulating the bolt...or maybe there was a magazine with 10 rounds that I didn't see and she has trained with RBM.
9 shots, was a trivia question later
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:47 am

SCBrian wrote:
Asymetryczna wrote:The Walking Dead - S. 7, Ep. 4 - Service

9 shots, was a trivia question later
While on the subject of The Walking Dead, which I like BTW, in all their scavenging I find it hard to believe they have never run across a reloading press and supplies. Are there no ZS chapters in the Atlanta area? Kind of goes back to my previous post in this thread about there only being 3 people purchasing reloading supplies in the greater New York area according to the show Elementary. If a Paw happened this week I could contact at least 20 people that have reloading presses and supplies. Granted most of them do not have the oddball calibers I shoot, but I could at least beg/borrow primers and powder if I had to. Kind of comes back to the discussions of whether an oddball caliber is better or worse in a PAW. The common calibers (9mm/45/38 special and 22LR) will be in demand but also more available at least at first.

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:53 am

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:The Walking Dead - S. 7, Ep. 4 - Service

Rosita disposes of a small group of walkers to acquire a gun, which is empty. The gun is small, looks like Bersa Thunder .380 (if some one knows, please post).

Meanwhile at Alexandria, Neegan and Co. seize all of Rick and Co.'s guns & ammo.

Neegan gets ahold of a Desert Eagle which Rick & Co. got from the Saviors outpost they exterminated.

Neegan fires DE, camera focuses on spent casing from that shot lying on street of Alexandria.

Final scene in episode is Rosita finding spent casing and taking it to Eugene and asking him to make her a bullet.

For sake of arguing, let's assume the Desert Eagle was a .50. Yes, I know it does come in other calibers, but .50 is the iconic Desert Eagle round. There is no way to modify that spent casing to fit Rosita's new gun. Again, if someone can accurately identify the spent case, my argument will either stand or completely fall apart.
Gee I didn't think the gun she found looked that small, I also was wondering how she managed to hide it inside a wheel well of the van without it falling while they were driving. At the end of the episode after the saviors leave she retrieves it but I don't' know how she got it to stay there. I don't think they showed her hiding it after they got back to Alexandria.

Hiroshima_Morphine

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:26 am

I don't know how \ when she hid the gun either.

And yes, there is a ZS chapter in Atlanta, and another in N. GA. Not sure if Rick and Co. were north or south of Atlanta.

(It's filmed south of, but they never say in show where exactly they were in relation to Atlanta other than 'near'. I'm not sure if this was ever adressed in the comic books. The early seasons have them on the I-85 corridor a lot. Terminus shows on the maps that AMC released as 'Macon-ish' area, so that would have me speculate that they are south west of Atlanta.

~ Fun fact: Terminus was actually the name of Atlanta before it was Atlanta, it was the terminus of the two GA state railroad lines connecting what was then the agrarian and industrial heart of Georgia centered around the state capital of Milidgeville and the port \ city of Savannah to Chattanooga, and from there Chicago and NY. By the time the war broke out, the name had changed to Atlanta and it was the terminus of many interstate lines, including what would have become the transcontinental railroad if the south had not seceded. Really makes one wonder how different our country would be in terms of population density and industrialization if cooler heads had prevailed.)

There's also plenty of people in GA who have never heard of ZS that reload their brass.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:52 pm

After Michonne worked the bolt for the first few shots, I didn't think it was necessary to take the screen time to show it for every shot. It was implied by then. Still too many rounds for that rifle.

Rosita's pistol looked a lot bigger than a .380 to me, but they never did show it very clearly.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:10 am

IMFDB says its a two tone 92FS. Their screen caps seem to back that up pretty well.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Walking_Dead,_The_-_Season_7
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Hiroshima_Morphine

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:35 am

So it's a 9mm.

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:23 pm

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:So it's a 9mm.
While on the subject of the Walking Dead, last Sunday's episode has Eagen calling Carl's AK a machine gun,EDITED to add, gee I was sure it was an AK, but sure enough the TWD web site has pictures of him holding an AR at LEAST twice while they are sitting in his room.
They do show Rosita's gun better after Eugene made her her bullet. Why on earth you would stop at one is beyond me! With all the walkers they have killed in and around Alexandria you would think they would be able to find some brass laying around or do the walkers eat it? Again, I don't think the writers grasp the concept of "RE-loading" as in reusing brass.
I'm sure making some type of gun powder would be possible given a good supply of the proper chemicals. Primers on the other hand are going to be a little trickier. If you did make it a practice to pick up spent brass you would at least have the primer bodies to use to fill the primer hole, you might be able to drive the primer cup face back out but I'm not sure if the anvil would still be usable.

Also Michonne hijacks a member at gun point but where did she get that gun, and does she have any ammo for it or is she bluffing?

CapsLock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CapsLock » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:34 pm

More of a 'firearms handling' observation.....

The TV shows "Hell on Wheels" and "Deadwood" as well as many period films which tech advisor Dale Dye has worked on.....(not saying he worked on these two TV shows)

Actors, whether civilian or military, in eras (1860s, 1880s, 1940s) pre-dating the year 2000 carry long arms in a modern "low" or "high ready" manner.

"Hell on Wheels"...... seems like everyone owns a Model 1866 "Yellow Boy" Winchester. Everyone. Even in the most remote portions of the American West just a few years after it was introduced.

I'm sure it has to do with availability of reproductions, but there are other reproductions (Sharps and Henry, for example) that could be 'sprinkled' in.

Most people immediately after the end of the Civil War would own muzzle-loadning, percussion rifles. And there are lots and lots of reproductions available. But they are not as flashy and recognizable as a Winchester.
Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents, which in prosperous circumstances would have lain dormant.

Quintus Horatius Flaccus (Horace)

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”