Tavor or Steyr AUG

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Tavor or Steyr AUG

Post by SMoAF » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:21 pm

So, I've decided that I need a bullpup rifle for use as a dedicated car gun. I'm seriously considering the Tavor and the Steyr AUG. While not the be-all end-all, cost is not irrelevant. I'm curious to see if anyone has shot both, and their thoughts on them.

I'm not going to get rid of any of my ARs, but they're a bit unwieldy for my purposes in this case. Since I've got enough AR mags to go with my AR stockpile, that's a plus for the Tavor. I don't want to go the SBR route, since I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving something requiring a tax stamp in my vehicle, even in a proper, locking storage rack.

I'm just curious as to y'all's opinions.
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man who dies."

No new assholes since 08/18.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Re: Tavor or Steyr AUG

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:28 pm

No experience, but this is the best bullpup video I've found over the years. I'd also look at the new KelTec RDB.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dYzwUsnryTo
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:00 am

another one to toss into the ring is the M17, it also used the standard AR mags. used to be maid by Bushmaster, currently produced by K&M Arms.
but I have a preference for more metal in a gun over less.

SheepDog68

Post by SheepDog68 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:18 pm

Thought I'd mention that in several states an AR pistol can be carried loaded in the vehicle on your CCW license which gives you several nice options!

SD

Si vis pacem, para bellum!

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:07 pm

Since the chuckle heads above me can't read :v: . I would say go with the Tavor for in the car use. I mean you already have mags for it and it doesn't have the snag points the Aug does ( I'm looking at you, built in scope/handle). I think a lot of the Aug Magazines have the see through plastic on the sides. I don't like that.

On the other hand the terrorists used an Aug in Diehard 1 and ever since I wanted one. I mean the Nakatomi building isn't just gonna takeover itself.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:21 pm

I'm kind of waiting for the bullpup battle to cool a bit before I really pick a side, but it defiantly looks like the Tavor is coming out as the Blueray and the Aug is the Betamax. or laser disk, or what was fighting against Blueray again?
The importation, distribution, and aftermarket options seem to have been universally better/smoother/more plentiful with the Tavor all around. I was looking at the AUG pretty hard when it was the only game in town, but the Tavor showed up late to the party and still dominated the bullpup market in what, half the time the AUG has been available? I thought I wanted one of the new Desert Tech bullpups, but after holding one I can't imagine paying twice the price as a tavor. Also the new tavor has a trigger finger mag release, which was half the draw to the Desert Tech anyway...

also, I haven't seen ANYTHING out there that will be competing with the tavor in the near future, if infrastructure/aftermarket support is of any concern (it certainly should be) the choice seems pretty simple at this point.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:28 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:what was fighting against Blueray again?
HD-DVD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_defi ... format_war

....carry on....

I vote Tavor for no reason other than color choices
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:01 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:I vote Tavor for no reason other than color choices
:lol:

I guess I'll prolly go with the Tavor. If I hate how it shoots, I should be able to get most of my money back quickly. I'm just remembering BITD when I picked up a full-sized Uzi with a giggle switch, and how underwhelmed I was with it once I shot it. Hell, even on semi it underwhelmed me.

Once I've got it, I'll let y'all know how I like it.

BTW: I' m not that into "colored" guns unless it's for my kids, but all that I've seen locally have been black, so it's a good thing that I prefer black. I may go ahead and get another muzzle break powder coated blaze orange, just for S&Gs, and to make some people's heads figuratively asplode. I'm bad that way. :lol:
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man who dies."

No new assholes since 08/18.

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:33 pm

I have a Steyr AUG A3 M1 in OD Green with High Pic rail and love it. The IWI is a fantastic rifle as well. You can't go wrong with either IMO.

Another great little bullpup is the FNH PS90. I just purchased mine a week ago and have no regrets. With 50 round capacity (5.7x28mm), extreme accuracy and reliability you can't go wrong.

Steyr AUG you can always purchase different length barrels. 16", 18", 20", or a heavy 24" and swap them out in a matter of seconds :) Also you can get the 42 round mags which from my experience are just as reliable as the standard 30 rounders.

IWI Tavor you can always upgrade you trigger with a Giessele Trigger :) Also it accepts most AR-15 mags which is a big plus.
"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Akin » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:31 pm

They were showing off a new Tavor at the SHOT Show, with a new charging handle and a much, much better mag releases. As much as I like my Tavor, I'd wait for one of those.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:42 pm

Akin wrote:They were showing off a new Tavor at the SHOT Show, with a new charging handle and a much, much better mag releases. As much as I like my Tavor, I'd wait for one of those.
Hmmm.....I still like the original mag release.Image

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Akin » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:27 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Akin wrote:They were showing off a new Tavor at the SHOT Show, with a new charging handle and a much, much better mag releases. As much as I like my Tavor, I'd wait for one of those.
Hmmm.....I still like the original mag release.Image

Okay, that is freaking fast.

The new ones have a mag release that is like the ones on ARs, though, so in theory, it should be a lot easier to master...

*shrug*

Moot point for me until I escape Kalifornia, the Tavor bullet button makes it almost useless in a real shooting situation. That's why my single pre-ban AR is still my go-to weapon...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:42 pm

One of the advantages of both the AUG and Tavor I have never heard discussed:

Both can be shot with mittens! Never mattered to me before, but now I have real winters and it is suddenly a very attractive feature.

AK, Glock, Pie.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:03 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:One of the advantages of both the AUG and Tavor I have never heard discussed:

Both can be shot with mittens! Never mattered to me before, but now I have real winters and it is suddenly a very attractive feature.

SheepDog68

Post by SheepDog68 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:14 am

The Aug set up to use AR mags is a nice option!

SD

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:47 am

Another vote for the Tavor. If only because it's easier to spell. Quicker too ( less letters, shoots great )
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:21 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:One of the advantages of both the AUG and Tavor I have never heard discussed:

This I actually did consider when I bought my AUG, Walther PPQ, and PS90 as I live in MinneSNOWta. If I ever get an AR it will most likely be a higher end Daniel Defense as they have slightly larger trigger guards (More rounded) to accommodate for gloved hands.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:05 pm

ZomCon Sargeant wrote:

This I actually did consider when I bought my AUG, Walther PPQ, and PS90 as I live in MinneSNOWta. If I ever get an AR it will most likely be a higher end Daniel Defense as they have slightly larger trigger guards (More rounded) to accommodate for gloved hands.
well there are lots of guns that accommodate for big gloves, and any AR (except for mine) can be retrofitted for a bigger trigger guard, but the AUG and Tavor are almost almost unique in true mitten compatibility. I wonder if that was intended in the design or happenstance.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Badger24
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later

Post by Badger24 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:40 pm

Found article with pics of the next Tavor.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016 ... announced/

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:34 pm

flybynight wrote:Another vote for the Tavor. If only because it's easier to spell. Quicker too ( less letters, shoots great )

Easier to pronounce as well.

"stair" or "stire"... I dunno, Mein Freund.

Another win for Tavor

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:51 pm

I choose Tavor because AUG couldn't even kill unarmed, out of shape, pack a day smoking Ice T.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:25 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:
ZomCon Sargeant wrote:

well there are lots of guns that accommodate for big gloves, and any AR (except for mine) can be retrofitted for a bigger trigger guard, but the AUG and Tavor are almost almost unique in true mitten compatibility. I wonder if that was intended in the design or happenstance.
Quite possibly it was designed that way on purpose. The AUG was made in Austria for the Austrian Military and went into service with them in 1977-78 and is still in use today as their standard issue infantry rifle.

Do not get me wrong the IWI Tavor is a fantastic rifle no doubt and thanks to it (and The Military Arms Channel, Hickok45, nutnfancy, sootch00, etc) for getting most of the Bullpup rifle haters to start liking Bullpups, but for the life of me I do not understand why one would like the Tavor but hate the AUG? I guess perhaps because it accepts AR mags and it is used by the IDF?

Ultimately both are fantastic rifles.

I should add that Steyr Mannlicher has been manufacturing fine firearms since 1864.

Austrian Jagdkommando (Special Forces) and regular army use of the Legendary Steyr AUG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5gVea-I4yw

Side Note: Remember what nation created the Glock?

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:23 pm

Redeyes wrote:I choose Tavor because AUG couldn't even kill unarmed, out of shape, pack a day smoking Ice T.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

SheepDog68

Post by SheepDog68 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:31 am

The high level of hype and advertising that goes along with the Tavor has me still at arms length from it!

I expect it's a pretty good rifle, but watching the mind benders working on the public at large always turns me off a product no matter how well made it is!

SD

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”