Press therapy - reloading room *chat*

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

brothaman

Re: Press therapy - reloading room *chat*

Post by brothaman » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:15 am

That's cool stuff! Can't wait to see how it turns out.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:48 am

chills1994 wrote:

I don't know how heavy just yet. I think it is in the 150ish ballpark. This is for my AR that is chambered in 7.62X39. I have to run out real quick for an errand, but I will be back to post a pic of what I am going to try to do.

Also, I think the MiHec moulds take Lee handles, which I still have to order in.

IIRC, the twist may be off on the 7.62 X 39 barrel for the heavy bullet. Some people have built a sub-sonic round and rifle based on the 7.62 X 39 case for high accuracy. One can use the Green leaf forum or Brownell has a chart of bullet weights and optimum rifle twist. Depending on what you want for accuracy, it may not matter.
Zombies don't ski.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:13 pm

Yep, you are probably correct.

But at some point I will get a rifle chambered in .308 Win. So if it sucks in the 7.62X39, I am hoping it won't suck in whatever .308 Win that I get.

IIRC, I asked MiHec if he had a lighter weight mould, say like closer to the typical 123 or 124 grain bullets you see for the AK/SKS, with a hollow point. He said no.

Actually, all of his bullet moulds were kinda off weight wise with what I am used to shooting. I am used to shooting heavier bullets in the 9, .40, and .45.

So when I finally do have some casted up and powder coated and ready to go, I will have to do some digging for some more correct powder charge weights and OAL's.

Guns are icky!

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:26 pm

On your case bullets are you using the Lyman Lead bullet manual for loads?

Are you planning on producing sub-sonic rounds?

There is information, look at the 300 Whisper.
Zombies don't ski.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:54 pm

I'm in Illinois where we can't have suppressors, at least not yet.

So there isn't much point, right now, in me making subsonic rounds for the 7.62X39.

As far as the lighter pistol boolits go, I'd probably just poke around the Brian Enos forums. Coated cast boolits are all the rage with the USPSA/IDPA crowd now.

Guns are icky!

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:58 pm

I saw this video on mounting a Lee reloading press mounted upside down:

https://youtu.be/i3KnxbnHSd0

So I fiddled around with my RCBS Rock Chucker press. Sure enough, I can bolt it upside down, then reverse the handle, and size cast boolits much faster that way.

Guns are icky!

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:47 pm

Wanted to test the waters and get into reloading just a little bit. I went and bought a Lees reloading press, it's the standard single stage. Got it and the deprimimg die for $38 bucks.

I've deprimed a about 1000 9mm with no problems, I then tried to fit a 308 and it won't fit in the casing holder. I tried a 45acp and it wouldn't fit without a struggle. Any thoughts? I got it used so there's no instructions, even looking online I can't really find the info I'm looking for.

I hope I'm just ignorant and that there's a little adjuster or something for 308, I really want to start working on some loads for my 308 bolt gun.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:43 pm

Halfapint wrote:Wanted to test the waters and get into reloading just a little bit. I went and bought a Lees reloading press, it's the standard single stage. Got it and the deprimimg die for $38 bucks.

I've deprimed a about 1000 9mm with no problems, I then tried to fit a 308 and it won't fit in the casing holder. I tried a 45acp and it wouldn't fit without a struggle. Any thoughts? I got it used so there's no instructions, even looking online I can't really find the info I'm looking for.

I hope I'm just ignorant and that there's a little adjuster or something for 308, I really want to start working on some loads for my 308 bolt gun.
Did you switch to the correct shell holder? I had to check my chart, but you should be using number 2 for .308 Win. and .45 ACP and number 19 for 9mm Luger. Like, the depriming die is universal, if it's the one I'm thinking of, but the shell holders are specific to a range of calibers based on common rim-size, so 5.56 and .300 Blackout use the same shellholders but 5.45 is different. My kit came with the complete set of shell holders, and I think almost every die set has come with one for that die as well. I ordered extra quick change bushings too, so I can have a set of bushings ready to go for a particular caliber and run through a box quicker.

Alternatively I've completely misunderstood what you're asking about and am contributing to your confusion.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:56 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: Did you switch to the correct shell holder? I had to check my chart, but you should be using number 2 for .308 Win. and .45 ACP and number 19 for 9mm Luger. Like, the depriming die is universal, if it's the one I'm thinking of, but the shell holders are specific to a range of calibers based on common rim-size, so 5.56 and .300 Blackout use the same shellholders but 5.45 is different. My kit came with the complete set of shell holders, and I think almost every die set has come with one for that die as well. I ordered extra quick change bushings too, so I can have a set of bushings ready to go for a particular caliber and run through a box quicker.

Alternatively I've completely misunderstood what you're asking about and am contributing to your confusion.

That would probably be my problem. Looks like i only got a single shell holder. I was curious how they worked. Haha
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

nolongpork

Post by nolongpork » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:35 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: Did you switch to the correct shell holder? I had to check my chart, but you should be using number 2 for .308 Win. and .45 ACP and number 19 for 9mm Luger. Like, the depriming die is universal, if it's the one I'm thinking of, but the shell holders are specific to a range of calibers based on common rim-size, so 5.56 and .300 Blackout use the same shellholders but 5.45 is different. My kit came with the complete set of shell holders, and I think almost every die set has come with one for that die as well. I ordered extra quick change bushings too, so I can have a set of bushings ready to go for a particular caliber and run through a box quicker.

That would probably be my problem. Looks like i only got a single shell holder. I was curious how they worked. Haha
The Lee reloading manual is excellent on the "why's" and how to reload. Money very well spent. read up and then you can start your quest for powder. I believe you are in my AO if so I know some places.

And FWIW all Lee die sets come with the correct shell holder in the kit.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:15 am

@Halfapint - ABCs of Reloading is an excellent reference book to keep around. There's always a little something helpful in the book when I'm having problems. Also, the little How To booklet from an old RCBS die set is good reference, too. It shows the press process step by step. Stupid reloading issue I had. I was reloading 22-250 and could never get the the brass to chamber after sizing. I thought my dies were messed up. I set up or '06, resized and no problem. Setup for 30-30, no problems. I bought more 22-250 dies. Same problem. Bought some Factory ammo. No issue. Resized, wouldn't chamber. I grabbed the the RCBS guide from a die set, walked myself through the process by the book,... and BAM! Perfection. Something wandering in my tiny simian brain was telling me to turn the die up a 1/4 turn after I touched the holder. I wasn't resizing fully. I didn't have this affliction with other rifle brass 'cuz I was doing it properly. Go Figure.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:25 pm

I bought a Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler (aka the F.A.R.T.).

So far I have only done one batch. I grabbed the Lemishine liquid instead of the granules.

Continuing with my blurt out loud mode...I bought a pound of H335 powder ($26 +) and a 500 count box of 77 grain Sierra Match Kings ($130+) from Cabela's.

Then the next week I made it over to Hi Tech ammo in Wentzville, MO. I bought 8 pounds of WC844 powder for $18 a pound...eighteen dollars a pound! I also found out I could have bought 500 of the Hornady 75 gr HPBT's for $80. Eighty freakin' dollars!

:x

Guns are icky!

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:59 pm

Reloaded my first rounds yesterday, will take them out tomorrow and see. Just some .223 nothing fancy, will work my way up to .308 soon. I gotta say once you get in a rhythm it's quite soothing!

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:12 pm

Halfapint wrote: I gotta say once you get in a rhythm it's quite soothing!
Yes, there's almost a zen-like quality to it. On a single stage press, I don't like to do more than 100 cases before moving on to the next step of the process (deprime/size, prime, charge, bullet seat, crimp, etc.). Any more than 100 at a go and the zen feeling is quickly replaced by one of drudgery. Plus you get bored and that's when you're most liable to make a mistake.

Have fun with those first rounds. It's immensely satisfying when rounds you've made yourself go bang.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:22 pm

Late to the party but the Hornady loading book has a lot of loads in it that none of the other books I have come with. Seems that one is now my first go to s it usually has what I am looking for instead of pouring thru all the others to not find that I am looking for to include both 300 BO and 300 whisper data as well as both .223 and 5.56 and .308 as well as 7.62x54.

Halfapint make sure you measure your rifle casings lengths as most need to be trimmed prior to loading. Lee makes trimmers by caliber for a great price and they come with the ability to use a cordless drill.
Regulators mount up.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:28 pm

RCBS X-sizer die is what you want if you want avoid trimming brass after each firing/resizing.

Guns are icky!

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:55 am

I find that if it is brass fired out of my rifles I need to do far less trimming vs brass some one else left lying around the area I go shooting.
Regulators mount up.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:55 pm

Hey all, I'm trying to find a good site to buy reloading supplies. Most places that I've looked aren't much if at all cheaper (with shipping costs added in) than retail.

Is there some secret squirrel (or covert chinchilla if you will) site for getting bullets and powder? I'm good for quite a while on primers.

Thanks in advance!

Fake edit: Shot about 200 rounds of my own brand. Only a couple issues which were most likely either not being cleaned properly, or the bullet not properly set. They shot fantastic! All the issues I had were in the first couple batches I made before I got everything properly dialed in. From best I can tell without going to a range and having a proper shooting table, I was able to get 10 shots within about an inch and a half diameter. I'd post up the target but my gf tossed it on accident when we were cleaning the car.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:23 am

Graf's and Sons or Midway for me, but they're both very local to me. Bonus discounts if you're a C&R.

I've scored well on local B/S/T boards as well.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:52 am

Halfapint wrote:Hey all, I'm trying to find a good site to buy reloading supplies. Most places that I've looked aren't much if at all cheaper (with shipping costs added in) than retail.

Is there some secret squirrel (or covert chinchilla if you will) site for getting bullets and powder? I'm good for quite a while on primers.

Thanks in advance!
For bullets I like Mid South Shooter Supply, Grafs, Midway (when they do their blemished bullets sale twice a year or so) and Shooters Pro Shop (which carries Nosler overruns for cheap)

For powder I get it at local shops because getting it online you have to pay a hazmat fee. I keep an eye out for when Cabelas has coupons for $15 or $20 off a hundred dollar purchase and pick up a few pounds or just get it a can a time at my local shop.
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:04 pm

Thanks Doc and Pistol. Kinda what I've seen from looking around I'll check out a few of the places mentioned and see! Thanks again really do appreciate everyone's help and putting up with my uneducated ass!

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:03 pm

I'm just curious if everyone keeps track of their reloads? I got into reloading on a whim, I didn't plan things out very well. So I'm now playing catchup. I've decided to keep a binder with all the loads I can find for my rifles/pistols and a few in calibers I don't have, but friends do. I went online and found pdf's and load data from accurate, IMR, Winchester, and Hodgdon (will as more later).

I'm thinking of making a spreadsheet for the loads that I have made. That way I can keep track and test them when I eventually get more equipment (right now I'm happy if they go boom and make a hole in paper).

What sort of data should I have? Right now off the top of my head I was thinking powder, grains, primer, bullet, and space for FPS, pressure as well as notes. What an I missing? I have a lot of different colored sharpies, and was thinking of marking the areas around the primers to keep track. I could add a column with the color codes as well. I feel like I'm missing information.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate everyone's information.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:45 pm

I know there's a whole school of thought about zeroing in on specific loads for particular firearms, but I confess I'm not nearly that sophisticated.

I've settled on some medium, standardized loads for my 9mm Sig and my AR-15 and I focus on consistency in my cartridges, nothing more. I'm still well short of the point where my shooting performance is tied to anything except my own skill handling those weapons.

Edit: But I suppose if you were trying to really keep track of your loads, you'd want to start with powder type, charge weight, bullet brand, type and weight, primers, overall cartridge length, and exactly what brand of brass you're using. That assumes you've completely standardized your case prep. If you do anything new, like reaming (as opposed to just cleaning) primer holes, then you'd want to track that as well.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:57 pm

I want to do it mostly for my own information. So I can tweet loads and see how they work differently. My roommate and I plan on joining his dad's hunting group so really I want to see what works really well with my 308. My AR shoots damn near anything great so I'm not really worried about it as much.... Maybe later when I get some heavier bullets I might tweet them.

Sorry got distracted. The main reason I am looking to do this is because I get a lots of different powders for free from work (People seem to think checking gun powder on an aircraft is a great idea). So I want to have the loads onhand for te different powders, and how the different powders perform.

Also because I'm a bit of a data whore.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”