Front site idea about ammo in your go-bag.

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Redshirt
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil game series. Not much of a TV/movie watcher.

Front site idea about ammo in your go-bag.

Post by Redshirt » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:35 am

I read this in the latest FS email and I thought I'd share it:
I have one modest suggestion for your bug-out bag. You never know what weapons you might encounter along the way. Similarly, you have no idea what ammunition you might encounter. For example, if you just got your hands on an AK-47 but there is no ammo in sight, it's of little use. So, in addition to carrying ammunition for your own weapon, I suggest that you carry a few rounds of all the common calibers. All you need are a few rounds of each. Don't get crazy or you will be carrying a piano on your back! Here are my recommendations:

.22 Long Rifle, 10 rounds
.38 Special, 6 rounds
9mm, 6 rounds
.40 S&W, 6 rounds
.45 ACP, 6 rounds
.223/5.56 NATO, 6 rounds
7.62 X 39, 6 rounds
.308/7.62 NATO, 6 rounds
.30-06 Springfield, 6 rounds
12-gauge bird, 3 rounds
12-gauge 00 Buck, 3 rounds
12-gauge slugs, 3 rounds
That's a total of 67 rounds of ammunition that hopefully you never need. As I was preparing this article, I assembled the above list into a Ziploc bag and weighed it on a digital scale...2.8 pounds. Now that's weight worth carrying.
The real downside to this suggestion for me is that if I bought a box of ammo for each of these types, I would then be compelled to by matching firearms for each ammo type. :D

I would probably also make it something that is in a small pouch attached to the bag that could be easily discarded should the need arise.

KnifeStyle

Re: Front site idea about ammo in your go-bag.

Post by KnifeStyle » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:15 pm

It's a reasonable idea, but I think they took it too far. The biggest issue is obtaining such small numbers of those rounds. You'd end up buying full boxes of each, and carrying such small amounts of each for variety means you would have six bullets for the Glock 17 you just found. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to bring along a full AR mag if I ran an AK, or a full Glock mag if I carry a Smith and Wesson. If you target the most common firearms you're likely to stumble across or trade for, you should be safe with standard military-police issue weapons and a sack of .38 Special.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

Redshirt
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil game series. Not much of a TV/movie watcher.

Post by Redshirt » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:23 pm

Some further thinking on it though, if you 1 box for each caliber, you would be able to utilize those leftovers to make 2 or 3 more caches that you could leave in your car and at home, assuming home is for whatever reason not the location you go to in an event.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:34 pm

I guess I'm having a hard time coming up with a scenario where I would need six rounds of random ammo. Why not just carry sixty-off rounds for whatever gun I usually keep with me? Where am I getting these random guns, and why don't they have any ammo?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:38 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I guess I'm having a hard time coming up with a scenario where I would need six rounds of random ammo. Why not just carry sixty-off rounds for whatever gun I usually keep with me? Where am I getting these random guns, and why don't they have any ammo?
Your answer is correct.
You sir, win a cigar.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Redshirt

Post by Redshirt » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:47 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I guess I'm having a hard time coming up with a scenario where I would need six rounds of random ammo. Why not just carry sixty-off rounds for whatever gun I usually keep with me? Where am I getting these random guns, and why don't they have any ammo?
Well, assuming you used your current weapon in self-defense on your egress, chances are good it was because someone was using a weapon against you poorly.

Now that weapon exists with an unknown level of ammunition available.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:52 pm

Redshirt wrote:
Well, assuming you used your current weapon in self-defense on your egress, chances are good it was because someone was using a weapon against you poorly.

Now that weapon exists with an unknown level of ammunition available.
Okay, but this isn't a video game where I have one weapon slot. If I was carrying my own weapon and had, say, sixty rounds of ammo for it, I fire off thirteen in defense, and then I pick up another gun that has six rounds left, I still have plenty of useable ammo. If we're assuming I already carried my EDC and instead of the pile of random bullets I carried sixty-seven rounds for my EDC, I still end up with more useable ammunition, and quite possibly less weight. Then i can throw the other gun into my ruck with whatever ammo, or just take the ammo and render the gun useless and leave it.

All of this assuming I'm in the unlikely scenario where I'm shooting people and picking up guns.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:26 pm

I don't see it either. I actually own a weapon in each of those calibers.

I don't see why I would bother carrying extra around for them in a back pack if I am not going to have a gun for them nor am I am planning in meeting someone who might.

Secondly the numbers don't make any sense. Why carry six round of SA pistol/ rifle ammunition? There are very few magazines or weapons where that would equal one magazine.

If I found an AK-47, that ran, was empty, I needed it, I trusted it enough to work better than whatever I was already carrying... having six rounds for it seems a bit silly.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:56 pm

I have always carried the extra odd ammo (including a few Winchester .300 ). in one of my pouches. In my neighbor hood i leave out the .45,.308 and only carry 00 buck.
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

quazi

Post by quazi » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:09 pm

If a person changes their CCW frequently I could see carrying different types of ammunition in their bag. Next to the bag so they could grab whatever was actually appropriate would probably be better, although I guess a person could just dump the unnecessary weight later.

But carrying around a bunch of ammo that will be more or less useless unless you happen to firearm chambered for it? That seems pretty silly.

Heck, I don't even have ammo in my BOB. Now that I'm purchasing a car I might throw a couple extra magazines in there.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:49 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Okay, but this isn't a video game where I have one weapon slot ...
Hellz, yeah and besides it's more important to carry extra health packs so I'm strong when I level up! :lol:

Las Vegan

Post by Las Vegan » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:18 pm

I can see some validity to the concept, but I think 3 pounds of ammo in 12 different calibers is a bit much. I EDC a Glock 19 and 52 rounds on me, and extra 9mm ammo in my vehicle and GHB, but I don't see much downside to adding, say, a small brick of .22 LR and maybe a half-dozen 00 12-guage shotgun shells to the GHB on the off chance that in a SHTF scenario I may stumble across a usable weapon or a good guy who is low on ammo.

Interesting idea. Thanks for the OP.
AR-15, Glock, and Soylent.

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:16 am

Personally I keep a few extra rounds of caliber I own in my bob but having 67 lose rounds in a bag is not a functionally good idea. Let's say I do find said empty gun... now I have to dig out the rounds but in the real world under conditions possibly under fire and with my luck in the dark. I would probably have a better chance if I carried a slingshot and used that to shoot the bullets. Just my opinion.

If you want to test this idea, next range day just throw a pile if bullets down and try matching each with the correct gun and post about how easy it was.
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:23 am

Las Vegan wrote:I can see some validity to the concept, but I think 3 pounds of ammo in 12 different calibers is a bit much. I EDC a Glock 19 and 52 rounds on me, and extra 9mm ammo in my vehicle and GHB, but I don't see much downside to adding, say, a small brick of .22 LR and maybe a half-dozen 00 12-guage shotgun shells to the GHB on the off chance that in a SHTF scenario I may stumble across a usable weapon or a good guy who is low on ammo.

Interesting idea. Thanks for the OP.

It's wasted weight. Period.

Use the 3 lbs to carry ammo in the caliber that the weapon you're already carrying uses.

Look at it this way:
You're only going to be able to carry "x" number of shots (rounds) with you, no matter what mix of calibers.
Now, would you rather have 200 shots out of the firearm you selected based on what you decided would best serve you and with which you have practice OR only 120 rounds for your own gun and a hodgepodge of 60 rounds to be used in the highly unlikely event that you not only run out of ammo for your chosen fidearm, and yet manage to find a functional, useable firearm left lying around and that by chance is chambered in one of the calibers of which you selected to carry a half dozen rounds. A firearm which you have no idea as to it's maintenance history and which you have no clue if it's sighted in.

Really, it's a complete and foolish waste to be carrying the that suggested assortment of ammo in hopes of using the ammo in a battlefield pick up. Use the weight to carry ammo for your own weapon, period. If you both need to use a battlefield pick up and are fortunate to find one, it's either going to have enough ammunition along with it or you're screwed anyway.
You might as well carry spare automotive parts in your BOV for ramdom vehicles that you don't own on the off chance your vehicle breaks down and you'd rather try fixing an abandoned car of unknown condition by the side of the road instead of using that space in the trunk to carry spares to fix your own vehicle.

Really, it's a bad idea.

*edited to add*
1- It's an idea suited for video games, not the real world.
2- You're reducing your capacity to continue fighting with your own weapon in order to carry ammo to resupply a strangers weapon which you hope you may obtain through pure blind chance? So essentially what you're doing is carrying resupply for your potential enemies weapons. :clownshoes:

Really, think this through... "Hmm, instead of carrying 3 lbs of stuff for myself that I may need and that I know I can use I'll choose to waste that weight and space on something that I'm absolutely positive that I can't use."
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:22 am

Weight of a loaded Glock 17: 910g
Weight of a loaded Glock 17 mag: 200g
Glock 17 with two spare mags = 1310g.

3lb = 1360g
If you're gonna carry around 3lb of gun-weight, why not go with a G17, 3mags and 51rounds of ammo that all work in it?

EDIT TO ADD:
The idea isn't a bad idea, unless you're on foot. Then it's a bad idea. If you're in a vehicle or even storing this ammo at your house or BOL, then buying ammo even for calibres you don't have could be money well spent. But not 3 or 6 rounds, I'm talking getting 100 rounds or so in calibres that are common in your area either for civilians or government agencies, or that your friends or family who might turn up own.

That said, if you've got a small quantity of ammo for guns you already own then your priority should be feeding them first.
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:24 pm

3lb = 1360g
If you're gonna carry around 3lb of gun-weight, why not go with a G17, 3mags and 51rounds of ammo that all work in it?
I guess if someone were committed to playing CoD and wanted to be rdy...

Get rid of six rounds of pistol and six rounds of rifle and roll that into whatever you are already carrying...

Lets say you are carrying a 7.62X39 rifle and a 9mm pistol....

- 2.5 ounces (9mm)
- 3.5 ounces (7.62X39)

Get rid of the shot gun ammo...

- 14.5 ounces

= 20.5 ounces

45 - 20.5 = 24.5 ounces or 1.5 lbs.

So now you are wasting 1.5lbs carrying around miscellaneous ammo that you will never need instead of nearly three pounds.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Smash05 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:07 pm

I can't agree with this, takes up space otherwise occupied by useful things.
Those who are prepared to help themselves, are prepared to help others.

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Smash05 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:52 pm

Boondock wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Okay, but this isn't a video game where I have one weapon slot ...
Hellz, yeah and besides it's more important to carry extra health packs so I'm strong when I level up! :lol:
Don't forget your Berserk Pack
Those who are prepared to help themselves, are prepared to help others.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:29 pm

I'm trying to wrap my head around this as well....
Might as well carry a small 22lr firearm and a brick of ammo instead. If we're down to battlefield pick ups, wouldn't it have ammunition in it or around it (as someone above said)?
Secondly, in what situation is it bad enough that I'm doing battlefield pick ups (i.e. primary weapon dry or otherwise disabled), but yet it's not bad enough that I'll need more than 6 rounds?
Hey, it's not a CoD idea, sounds more like a CounterStrike idea to me :awesome:

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:09 pm

ManInBlack316 wrote:I'm trying to wrap my head around this as well....
Might as well carry a small 22lr firearm and a brick of ammo instead. If we're down to battlefield pick ups, wouldn't it have ammunition in it or around it (as someone above said)?
Secondly, in what situation is it bad enough that I'm doing battlefield pick ups (i.e. primary weapon dry or otherwise disabled), but yet it's not bad enough that I'll need more than 6 rounds?
Hey, it's not a CoD idea, sounds more like a CounterStrike idea to me :awesome:
I did some math:

Ruger, Model of 22/45 LITE, First Generation, Two Unloaded Magazines, Hi-Viz Fiber Optic Sights, Majestic Arms Speed Strip Kit, Hogue Grip installed: 1lb 15oz/approx. .88kg

.22 Long Rifle Caliber Ammunition, Federal Automatch, 140 rd: 1lb/0.46kg

So you could pack a decent .22 pistol, two mags, and fourteen magazines worth of ammo for the wight of the hodgepodge. Dropping it down to an even hundred rounds allows you to mount a PA Micro red dot with bikini covers, which likely costs less than buying one box of ammo for everything mentioned. Sure, it's not as optimal as any of the listed calibers within their niche, but two mags of quality LRN rimfire is better than six rounds of centerfire pistol ammo for a gun you aren't carrying that may or may not function, it's a better game-getter than the twelve-gauge ammo without a gun too.

What else could you carry though?

Glock 30, Gen Two or what the fuck ever, match sights, two loaded ten-round magazines with +1 extensions and a Raven Concealment VG2 leaves you about three ounces to play with under the three-pound limit, theoretically enough for a milled-in RDS if you're throwing out the cash.

You could also stow a Model 10 and four cylinder's worth of ammo, give or take depending on load weight. I don't have one to compare, but I bet a smaller grip would lighten that up.

Glock 17L loaded weight: 32.12, leaving room for two extra loaded mags.

Bersa Thunder .380 18.9oz dry, leaving room for eight reloads worth of ammo and one spare magazine.

The list goes on, but based on an assessment of your area and the utility needs, I'm sure there's a lot of better things to spend three pounds on in a bag or even a BOL or cache than ammo for guns you don't have, especially if the price per round for that ammo is more than just buying more ammo for guns you do have.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:18 pm

Thank you for the math Doc. Was gonna weigh my SR22 and ammunition but wasn't home. I guess I could see the hodgepodge ammunition pile in a cache, obviously with a much higher amount of rounds, but we come back to the fact that money/space/weight is better spent elsewhere.

nolongpork

Post by nolongpork » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:24 pm

If you are going to hump extra weight for chances I say take those three pounds and put it into food and single serve baby formula. You never know...that hot single mom could have been scared dry from being shot at...most people are going to be rudely woken up humping 30 lbs of battle rattle on reduced rations.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:29 pm

More math: adding a SilencerCo Spectre II monocore rimfire suppressor cuts your total ammunition count to 80, assuming you remove the optic rail and thread protector and install said silencer. Moving to a lighter can like the Warlock gets you to 120, or allows mounting of said optics rail and an RMR or Burris Fastfire and still leaving a spare half-ounce for your laminated Form 4 if I did my math right.

Math is fun.

clarence

Post by clarence » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:21 am

2.8lbs?

45 Gold American Eagles.
It's not looting if you leave a note.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”