Bump in the night armor

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Bump in the night armor

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:23 pm

I own a range setup plate carrier with IIIa plates that usually resides in the basement of my house, and sees the light of day (or night) on training or match days. However, I am looking for something specifically for home protection. Something very simple that would sit under my bed and collect dust, until it is needed. I have a shotgun in the closet near my bed on a wall lock, pistol in the pistil safe under my bed. Now, I would like something that I can throw onto myself in a matter of seconds if I need to go and clear my house in the middle of the night. It does not have to be IIIa, but it should withstand small arms fire. What do you recommend?
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

synergyperf

Re: Bump in the night armor

Post by synergyperf » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:10 am

There are 3 websites that I've run across with a wealth of info and products...

Ar500armor.com
CATIarmor.com
bulletproofme.com

Personally, I'd look for something with the most rapid deployment option possible. I am in no way formally trained, but just from what you've said, that would be my biggest factor in choosing a system (other than actual threat level protection of course).

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:24 pm

Use your current plate carrier. What plates do you already have in there? I would upgrade from steel when economics allow to cut weight.

If you train with it, you should use it. People screw up when they use something new like a different holster when they've been using something else for a number of years. Going to a completely different carrier setup would mean under stress grabbing the wrong straps to fit it, the wrong pouches and grab a pepper spray can and load it into your magazine well (or try).
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:20 pm

I'll second jor-el's recommendation. Even if you want to run the carrier slick when set up for home defense, the practice of putting on THAT carrier should help don it faster, and if you ran TACO pouches on your rig any ways, you could run that pez dispenser shotgun mag from strikehardgear.com , I'm not a TACO or shotgun guy, but it's an option.
But if you do want just a different set up, go for it. I just have nothing helpful to add in that aspect. :words:

madoka

Post by madoka » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:53 pm

CipherNameRaVeN wrote:What do you recommend?
Have you considered a ballistic shield?

You'll likely have to add lasers to your weapons, but it's the quickest, easiest setup to defend yourself in the middle of the night IMHO.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:08 pm

I would second "use what ya got" at least until you upgrade, I'm currently planning to upgrade myself.

Once you upgrade, train with the new armor. ALL. THE. TIME.

My planned armor upgrade is below

$200-FirstSpear STT Plate Carrier, SKD Exclusive
http://www.skdtac.com/FirstSpear-STT-Pl ... 1&CartID=2

$300-Titanium/Steel 10x12 Level III Front & Rear Strike Plate
https://dsgarms.com/ktibaia0035

I figured I would throw a rifle/pistol TACO over on the left, and my pistol/holster on the right.

Also, hang it up rather than shove it under the bed. LAPG has heavy duty hangers designed for armor, mine is going in my bathroom.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:52 pm

Kutter_0311 wrote:LAPG has heavy duty hangers designed for armor, mine is going in my bathroom.
Do they also have Closet Reinforcers? :clownshoes:

My uniform collection has broken two closets...
Shiney side out... Shiney side out...

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:58 pm

Yes. I considered using the same carrier. But my carrier is set up for the field. I do train with it regularly, but it is a little heavier than I like for home sec and it is set up with some features that more geared for field use, and less for the scenario under discussion. It has integrated AR sling, integrated radio pouch, hydro carrier, kydex mag pouches (not tacos), admin pouch. All these features are helpful in the field, but become unnecessary obstruction and hindrance for home clearing. I can put it on quickly, but not as quickly as I would like for the purpose under discussion.
Image Image

I am thinking of something low profile and very slick. No extra bells and whistles. I am thinking maybe something like this. Throw it over, and wrap Velcro around, done.
http://www.skdtac.com/PIG-Brig-Plate-Ca ... ig.400.htm

And, if SHTF, it can become my wife's rig. There are several options available for quick field setup.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

clarence

Post by clarence » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:31 pm

I've the US Palm Defender body armor.

Google for reviews, but seems nice.
It's not looting if you leave a note.

rjm

Post by rjm » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:08 pm

I'm not trying to upsell for a dealer, but I'd go with bulletproofme.com. I bought a blackhawk carrier with balcs soft inserts and 2 in-conjunction plates and am extremely happy with all. The one thing they stress is knowing what you're likely to face. I bought the carrier for pistol threats, but have a front plate for those "just in case" situations. I really wish I could remember the manager's name because he's a great guy, but if you contact them, their customer service is really great- in my experience, and they don't get heartburn talking to a civilian like a lot of the providers do.
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."

CipherNameRaVeN

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:56 pm

So, SKD is running a 48 hour flash sale on exactly the carrier that I was thinking.
It ends up to be $59 for a quality American made plate carrier:
PIG Brigandine Plate Carrier
I'll let you know if it works out for me.
http://www.skdtac.com/PIG-Brig-Plate-Ca ... ig.400.htm

I know that below ad image will be dead in a day or so:

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

Unorthodox
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Unorthodox » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:07 am

Realistically?

Or whatever I'm wearing at the time I grab a gat. Could be swinging dick naked because really...who's gonna snap awake when the wife elbows you at zero fuckbutt hundred "I heard something!" and decide to jock up with armor, helmet, comms and pewpew stick.

Pistola and rifle have illumination. I'll maybe throw on some electronic cans just so I'm not bumbling deaf if I do have to lead medicate someone
ImageImage
I load my gatteries in my assault clips for my AR-15 battle rifle. | Avatar By Nyssa

Return to “Other Gear”