If God Wills It

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Re: If God Wills It

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:03 pm

Zimmy wrote:I keep marveling at the sheer magnificence of this designer plague. Heck, if you just lay low for long enough all the crazy infected people will die of dehydration. Three months and this thing should have burned itself out...

Most folks, even those "in the know" either don't know, or haven't grasped this yet.

Hell, I remember all the wild speculation and "facts" floating around in the weeks immediately after 9-11, and that didn't even involve zombies! :mrgreen:
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

rednekrampager
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell i love them all.

Post by rednekrampager » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:26 pm

Don't keep us hanging too long.
Get off my lawn!!

SNAFU-M1A

Post by SNAFU-M1A » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:08 pm

Awesome story!!!! I read it all in one sitting. Just when I thought you were going to wrap it up you brought it back with a new prospect, the aftermath!

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:47 pm

But we need MOAR!
Boldly going nowhere

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:44 am

Been vacationing. The beach and mojitos are harsh mistresses. I'll throw something up in the (late) morning.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zimmy » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:26 am

:clap:
Boldly going nowhere

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:56 am

Moulton Valley Dairy Farm
R+10 0900

Luke Wolfe drove past the gate to the dairy farm when he saw two men standing out near the gate carrying rifles. Both men were dressed in military uniforms and carrying Army rifles. When the Suburban crested the hill nearby he got out and could see a big military helicopter parked out near the old barn. Someone had also put in an air strip and a couple of chicken houses. He wondered if the military had taken over the farm.

Fenton had written him and told him that he had been put in charge of the farm after Luke's ex-sister in law had sold it. He said the owner lived in Washington DC and only came by occasionally. Fenton had told him that he stayed in the old farm house by himself. By the looks of things there were a number of people staying in the house now.

The men debated what to do next. When they had stopped to take a leak they had rifled though the Suburban and found two bolt action hunting rifles, a bunch of personal crap, a case of bottled water, some beef jerky and two cases of corned beef hash. Awesome. The one guy on the planet they pick to jack had a taste for prison food.

One of the rifles was a .22 and the other was a nice Ruger .30-06 with a scope. They had also found a few boxes of ammo.
They had not expected to find an armed camp when they arrived and were a bit perplexed. Quick math told them that taking the dairy by force was not a good plan. They had no idea how many men were in the dairy and if the helicopter started after them it would be game over quick. As it turned out their indecision paid dividends.

After waiting on the road watching the dairy for about 40 minutes two old armored trucks rolled up the highway and stopped about 50 yards away. Wolfe waited patiently as he watched a beaner get out of the lead truck and approach them on foot with two other men.

Wolfe told everyone to play nice.

When the men approached and asked for explanation to why they were watching the dairy Wolfe told the beaner that his son ran it. The man seemed surprised by this and offered to take him inside the gate once he had been checked for bites, scratches and signs of infection. He told that military had not taken it over they just had it well protected due to the plague and accompanying lawlessness.

Wolfe told him completely understood. It was a dangerous world out there.

Trickle Rock
R+10 1600

After Sanchez had returned from the call for help from guards at the dairy he found Foxworthy and explained what he had observed. Five men, several of the men sported Aryan and prison tattoos. All claimed to be "locals" driving a vehicle with out of state tags. One of the guys was the size of small mountain. They all looked like trouble.

The apparent leader was Fenton's father. Once inside the farm Fenton did not seemed thrilled to see his daddy for the first time in years but he did not seem all that disappointed either. All Luke Wolfe would say about his arrival was that they had come up from Beckley because things were rough down there.

Sanchez had also learned from the guys that Fenton had taken up with Brinda. Anyone sleeping in the old farm house with thin walls could hardly miss it. Brinda had quit helping or doing much of anything other than the noisy bedroom antics and fixing an occasional dinner. Foxworthy figured this would explain a lot of Fenton's attitude lately. The poor man had been born with a mush pot for a head and she was leveraging that nicely.

Foxworthy found Bill and asked him about Luke Wolfe and events on the farm.

"I never met the man. I only know him by reputation. He sold a lot of the harder drugs in Moulton before he got caught up in a DEA sting. He went to prison long before I bought any property up here. Word was he liked to beat women pretty regularly but they would always drop charges on him and never testify.

"I thought he still had a couple of years left on his sentence but I can't be certain. If he showed up with some of his buddies from prison they could be a lot of trouble. I think we should go over there tomorrow morning and see exactly what is going on. I am going to let the sheriff know he is back in the area as well. I am sure they will be interested.

"I always tried to help Fenton as much as I could because of his daddy and his rough upbringing. Fenton's mama was an IV drug user and occasional hooker and eventually it killed her. Fenton was taken away and placed with his aunt and uncle at the age of eleven. I never figured Fenton would think of turning on me but so much has happened in the last couple of weeks.

"I heard the rumors a few days ago about Brinda when the guard rotated out there. If she is manipulating Fenton I am not sure how to deal with that. Sergeant Austin should be here day after tomorrow so I think we should let him know early on and talk him out of beating Fenton to death before he gets here. A sudden 'unveiling' could be disastrous. I understand that they were only married for a few months before he deployed. I am guessing he may already know what she is so this may not come as a big shock to him.

"If I absolutely had to I could fire Fenton. We have enough people to run the dairy and make all the deliveries. It will just not be nearly as effective as Fenton doing it until people learn how to use the machinery. I can't afford to let anything happen to the dairy. With the banks closed it is the only thing keeping us in barter goods right now. Fenton knows just about everything there is to know about the about the dairy, he grew up on it."

Foxworthy then asked how Dawn was holding up. She had not emerged from the cabin since yesterday morning. Bill shook his head; "Maybe in time." he told him.

The men then discussed some of the reports that Michaels had put together at Bill's direction.

The population of several Mid-Eastern countries had been nearly wiped out. Oil was no longer flowing on ships and the shortages worldwide were likely to be severe. About a third of US oil came from that region but with so much chaos it was impossible to determine what this would mean. Gasoline and diesel were practically unavailable right now. Bill figured they had enough to run their vehicles for 3-4 weeks based on current usage.

Nearly all electricity in WV was produced from coal or hydroelectric plants. These were still in plentiful supply. The problem would be getting the coal to market without any fuel for the train trucks, trains and machinery. So far most of the power outages in the region had been caused by civil unrest. WV had seen no civil unrest to date. If the power did go down they could try to power the B&B from the hydropower at the cabin. The problem was powering the dairy machinery. There was a backup generator but if they started running that then the fuel would run out in about a week.

The plague had taken an enormous toll on first responders and emergency health care workers. The police were not as badly effected as their unarmed counterparts but in some cities they had been completely wiped out. Many communities had established ad-hoc militias and other type of organizations to provide emergency services but the effects were profound. Services were either not being provided or were being provided badly.

Locally they were doing as well as they could however; they had not experienced any serious non-plague medical emergencies yet either. Normally a seriously injured person would be flown Wheeling or Charleston. Medflights were no longer flying and Bill was uncertain what resources would be there if they were able to get someone there.

In two days Bill would start flying the Army medical team around to deliver vaccine to whatever medical centers were still operating and the Guard and Reserve bases in the area he was responsible for. Once he started doing that they would be gone most days. They needed to get ready for him being gone most of the time during the day. He told Foxworthy if had a question about something while he was gone to ask Barrett unless it had to do with security of the property and in that case ask Ravena instead. He hoped that being needed might snap Barrett out of the depression he was in following David's death.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zimmy » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:06 pm

Excellent. Thank You
Boldly going nowhere

rednekrampager
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell i love them all.

Post by rednekrampager » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:16 pm

Stercutus wrote:Been vacationing. The beach and mojitos are harsh mistresses. I'll throw something up in the (late) morning.
Oh well ... At least you had an EXCELLENT excuse.
Get off my lawn!!

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:36 pm

this is me, hanging on and waiting for MOAR

My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:32 pm

^^^

:lol: Nice one Teotwaki...

Man, lots of story lines/threads brought to life in this entry... Good stuff!
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:14 pm

Harrisburg Air National Guard Base, PA
R+13 0830

Colton greeted Bill on landing at HANGB much to his father's joy and relief. The two warriors shared an uncommon moment that knows no generation gap when a son comes home from war. They would talk more later at length that night.

Bill and Colonel Corum met with Colonel Schweiter and the commander on the ground at HANGB. They gave them a full report on the fall of the Pentagon from their perspectives. The commander told them that later that night the fire did go out but the building was more than half burnt and would be out of commission for years if not forever. He was terrified of a repeat of millions of people swarming the air base or the production facility.

Very few people actually knew of the production facility location. Those left in charge had made a real effort to keep the happenings there a secret. The factory was large enough to land helicopters on the ground inside a secured area.

There was a call to service for everyone who had left the military in the last four years who was under the age of 58. No one had a really figured out a mechanism to make that work but Bill may as well consider himself back on active duty. This also meant that a large number of the people at Trickle Rock would also be called back to active duty as well.

Bill's mission would be to fly to HANGB from Moulton, pick up fuel and perform any maintenance daily. He would then fly to the factory pick up vaccine and fly it to the designated facilities. There were 20 facilities on Bill's list and several would require multiple trips. He would then stop in Moulton for the night.

The commander at HANGB determined that so long as Bill was running missions Colton and the remains of ODA1313 were free to go with him back to Moulton. They would provide security for the runs on the ground and in the air. The airbase was way over crowded in any case. Colonel Corum and her team could stay with Bill as well and chose to do so.

They had also found a co-pilot for Bill who would stay out at the farm with him. He was a warrant officer who had just finished flight school and was on was his way to his first duty station when the plague hit. Bill wished he had someone experienced but promised to get him trained up as best he could.

The commander wanted to send another helicopter with Bill but did not have any more currently available. Instead he opted to send a fixed wing aircraft to check on him through his flight and when he landed and took off from Trickle Rock.

If all went well within a month they should have the vaccine out to most of the population.

After Bill had contacted the Sheriff's department about Luke the chief deputy sheriff showed up in person to talk to Bill. He explained that the prison system was letting people go due to manpower shortages. While the shortages were not as bad locally the federals had transferred some of the harder offenders into the still functioning prisons and were shutting others in hard hit areas down.

Luke and his friends were given conditional unsupervised parole. If they screwed up he could arrest them and send them back to Beckely.

Bill had asked him how concerned the Sheriff was about all this. The Chief told him that were the sheriff still alive he would have been quite concerned. As he died shortly after being bitten two days ago the chief had been appointed interim sheriff until the next election by the county board of supervisors.

The man had then asked Bill if Jason was looking for work. They needed every qualified law enforcement officer they could find and they would put in waiver to allow him to work until he was certified in WV. Bill told him he would pass the word along. He figured Jason would probably welcome the chance to help out in some capacity but working the roads would be very dangerous.

The next morning Bill departed for Harrisburg and the morning milk and egg run failed to show up at Trickle Rock. This had never happened before so Foxworthy told Barrett. Barrett called Fenton and Fenton told him that he wanted to talk to Bill. They went round and round on the phone for a couple of minutes and then Barrett hung up and told Foxworthy they needed to ride out there.

They took Foxworthy's Wrangler and Jason and Ravena tagged along as well. When the trio arrived at the farm Fenton was outside with Luke and Brinda. Fenton immediately launched into soliloquy that appeared well rehearsed.

He was unhappy with the living arrangements at the dairy. Luke and his crew had moved into the barn/ hangar. He wanted the guards to move out of the house and into the barn so that his father and friends could move into the house. It seemed only fair since it was his house to do with as he wished and his father was here visiting.

He wanted to get rid of the guard that was riding shotgun as well. His father and his friends would go with him. Ravena quickly pointed out that Luke and all his friends were convicted felons and could not carry a firearm. Fenton told her that he personally would carry a weapon and the other guy would drive. He was sick of doing all the heavy lifting and driving while the guard just stood there and watched. She then pointed out that none of them had valid driver's licenses. He agreed but figured that as soon as the offices were open again they could get that fixed. Besides the police weren't exactly writing tickets these days anyway.

Luke told them that his days of crossing the law were over. He felt like he was ready to be productive member of society again and him helping out in this way would help with all of their reentry into the world. He was dripping with earnestness.

Barrett then surprised everyone by speaking up and agreeing to all of Fenton's demands. He made it clear however that if anything further were to interrupt deliveries that there would be serious consequences. Fenton seemed both surprised and pleased by the accommodation.

Foxworthy shot Barrett his best "are you nuts" look but kept quiet. He would have to talk to the boy later.

Barrett then addressed Brinda and told her that her husband would be home that night. The woman visibly paled at the statement and appeared shocked. Apparently she had not gotten the word through the rumor mill. She thanked Barrett and then walked off into the house without another word.
Last edited by Stercutus on Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

OTTB

Post by OTTB » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:39 pm

Half of an ODA, several vets and law enforcement personnel, two armored cars, the semi-permissive operating environment. My money is that several bad guys are going down hard but not before causing a multitude of problems for the folks at Trickle Rock.
If you cant run, you walk, if you cant walk you crawl, if you cant crawl pray the zombies dont find you.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:30 pm

R+13 2130

Austin had taken the word of his wife's dalliances with quite a bit of self control. Surprisingly he promised not to kill anyone over the affair.

He said; "Well if she is going to run around and cheat I don't really want her trifling ass around anyway. She was pretty hot but that was about it. If this guy is as stupid as you say he is I am sure she won't even wait until he goes somewhere before she starts nailing someone else. If he is taking care of them I guess they will be better off. I will just stay away from them. Don't let him talk to me though. I will probably kick his ass if I ever meet him. As for her? Fuck her."

Their first mission that day had been pretty straightforward. They delivered 75, 000 doses of the three part vaccine to Camp Dawson, WV. Bill figured there were close to 50,000 people living on the small camp. Nearly all were refugees. The medical team assisted the medical staff there and administered several thousand doses.

After they were on the ground for a few hours word got around about the vaccine and people started to show up at the gates looking for it. This had been anticipated and a checking and vaccine station had been set up outside the camp. Everything went much more smoothly than it should have.

On the return flight Bill felt pretty good. Despite the devastation below him that he would see in the larger cities and some of the towns thing were finally moving in the right direction. They had saved enough of the vaccine to bring back and inoculate everyone in Creek and Bridge and then some. Once enough people had gained immunity to the virus than they could start organizing to retake some of the more important cities.

Other than being strong, fast and brutally violent in hand to hand for a few days the infected were only a threat if they could bite or scratch someone. Take away the risk of infection that and they weren't much more difficult to handle than someone hopped up on drugs. They had seen few cases where the infected were carrying weapons, normally whatever they were holding when they were consumed by the disease.

Like most disasters the poor and the helpless were hit the hardest by the plague. Casualty rates in some of the larger cities was close to 90%. The West coast and Mid-West were hit particularly hard. Without much rain or many sources of running water the infected were able to roam much more freely than on the East Coast. In West Virginia they were blessed with plenty of running water and plenty of rain. This had held the spread of the disease to small areas.

Getting things running again was going to be tough. Where the plague did hit it tended to wipe out a whole group. There were several coal mining and factory towns where the entire population had been wiped out or fled due to the close proximity of the miners or factory workers. With so few people with specialized skills like mining or running a certain factory it could be a while before people figured out how to get stuff rolling again.

Bringing the big bird into the dairy landing strip with his son aboard he was feeling good for the first time since it had started.

Trickle Rock
R+14 0530

The reunion last night had been sweet and bittersweet. They had held a late night feast of sorts down in the B&B and Colton had told everyone there all what he knew of how the plague had started. He was holding his children in his arms as he spoke so he kept it to a clean of a version of events as he could manage. Most had not heard the details of the plague spread yet and many had assumed it had started in Germany where it had first publicly appeared. There had been so much bad information spread about the plague that it was refreshing to most to hear some truth.

Dawn came out and she and Colton had talked awhile. He told her as much as he knew which was not much. Dawn had not had time to accept her husband's death yet but the shock had worn off a degree. There were some laughter and tears. As it turned out it would be well over a year before she would be able to become fully functioning again.

That night Bill gave up his room for the grand kids and crashed on the sofa bed in the living room. He would have to figure a better arrangement out soon his back hated the sofa bed and he was going to be stiff all day. The couple definitely needed some alone time.

In the morning Bill had insisted that Colton take at least one day off and spend it with his family. The team would be able to survive without him for a day at least. The rest of the team loaded up in the armored cars and Bill's Tahoe and headed out to the airstrip. As they pulled out of the gate at Trickle Rock Bill noted Tom was guarding the bridge. This gave him a solid feeling of comfort.

Tom had recovered enough from his loss to take this post. Sanchez had appointed the sharp eyed man the to midnight through late morning guard. Tom seemed to have retained his knack for spotting trouble. Two incidents that day were to prove it out.

In the first incident Brinda came with Luke to pick up the supplies for meals out at the dairy. While up at the mill picking stuff up Tom thought he noticed them taking a long time and some unusual stuff being loaded. He stopped the vehicle on the way out and checked it. Sure enough they had loaded up several large boxes of medical supplies including all of the syringes on hand.

He called Sanchez who came down and went through the entire truck. Sanchez found several loaded M9 pistol magazines that he figured they had swiped from the medics as well. Both Luke and Brinda were clueless as to how the pistol magazines ended up behind the seat to the pickup. Sanchez gave the pair the most incredulous of looks and let them go. He then told an annoyed Foxworthy.

Foxworthy found Milton and they installed working hasp locks and interior dead bolts on the mill doors. Guards were given instructions not to let anyone from the dairy into the mill unless under observation. The truck from the dairy farm was to be searched upon arrival and departure to make sure that no other items mysteriously ended up in it. Any time "The cunt" was at Trickle Rock he was to be told.

Not long after that a propane delivery truck showed up. The driver told him he was there to make a monthly delivery. After checking the driver he let him and in and the driver then drove around the B&B as if looking for the tank. When he located the tank he hooked up to it but he seemed to be acting nervous and fidgety, although Tom could not figure out exactly why.

Tom called Sanchez back and told him there was something wrong with the delivery driver. Sanchez grabbed two of the guard members and called Barrett down to the B&B as well. The driver nearly dropped a load in his shorts when he saw the three armed men approaching him. He asked the men what they wanted.

Barrett arrived and looked over the pumping equipment. That is when he noticed that the gauge was moving the wrong way. The "delivery driver" was pumping the B&B tank dry and filling the truck. When Barrett pointed this out the man pulled a small handgun from behind his back and demanded to be allowed to leave. Barrett told him he could walk off on foot if he wanted to but the truck was staying here until everything was sorted out.

Foxworthy observed what was going on from the hill and called the sheriff's office. He tried to get into a position to take a safe rifle shot but was worried about hitting the propane truck or the tank. A hit on either might result in disaster. While Foxworthy was unable to find a clear shot Barrett kept the man talking for about a half hour.

The acting Sheriff showed up with Jason. They had been touring through the county and had decided that Jason would be responsible for patrolling the small town of Creek and Bridge and surrounding area. When the man saw the Sheriff roll up in the Expedition he figured the game was up and surrendered peacefully.

The truck turned out to be stolen. The man had been driving all over the county stealing propane out of tanks under the guise of delivery. Barrett then went ahead and filled the B&B tank before the gas company showed up to reclaim their property.

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. They were starting to settle into a routine.
Last edited by Stercutus on Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:00 pm

R+21 0445

Luke heard the front screen door slam as it did every morning when Fenton when left the house to go around the farm to do his daily chores. The poor boy had no idea how to be subtle. Luke, on the other hand, had spent years learning how to be subtle. Today Big John would be driving the dairy truck and Luke would be free all day.

With Luke and his crews making the deliveries they were able to start skimming things for themselves almost immediately. Fenton was too dumb to keep track of what was being delivered and who owed who to what. That queer son of the owner seemed pretty sharp but he was still new and not really tracking anything either. With the owner gone Luke figured that by the time anyone figured out what was missing he would be long gone. These people were going to force them out anyway eventually they might as well leave with full pockets.

Stealing from the dairy was also allowing him to trade for things that he needed in order to set the world right to his liking. He had been watching the people at Trickle Rock since his arrival and had noticed a few things that might offer a good opportunity for a man such as himself. A man a few short weeks ago with no prospects.

Today was different. Today he was going to shave the some cream off the top for himself.

Quietly as he could he made his way to the master bedroom that Fenton had claimed in the old farm house and gently opened the door.

The red headed bitch was laying right there in the king sized bed face down, her naked back and half an ass cheek exposed. She must have expected him. He all but told her yesterday that he would be paying her a visit soon. It was about goddam time too. Twelve damn years he had sat in that hell hole with not even a taint to be found. Since then all he had was some nasty truck stop hooker he had to share with four guys. He was going to really enjoy this.

He stepped closer to the bed and pulled the blanket the rest of the way off. She didn't stir. She was pretty damn subtle too, he knew now for sure that she was pretending to be asleep. He placed a hand on her thigh and gave it stroke. Suddenly Brinda rolled over trying to cover herself with her hands. With a great deal of false modesty she was displaying a lot more than she was covering.

In a loud whisper she said; "Luke what are you doing in here?"

"We both know what I am doing here or getting ready to do anyway."

"We can't I'm with Fenton now."

"Honey you are with a lot of people right now, one more won't make much difference."

He was right. He really enjoyed it. As much as he enjoyed her; the noises the woman made in the sack made him think she enjoyed it even more.

Afterwards laying in the bed with her snoring on his chest he was stuck with a thought. Why should they be the ones to leave? He could stay here and they could take over the place. The people over at Trickle Rock might appear to be strong and smart but he had a few ideas of his own.
Last edited by Stercutus on Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:20 pm

R+29 0730

In two weeks Bill had delivered several million doses of vaccine to the areas that he was responsible for. The change in the population was appreciable. While the harder hit area would never be whatever they had once been some parts of the country were starting to slowly recover. For some strange reason Bill wondered if there would ever be another Major League Baseball game again. That would be an enjoyable sign of normality.

Yesterday at the meeting the Commander at HANGB had asked Bill about Barrett. Apparently Colton had let slip that Barrett was something of a genius with government computer systems. He had then asked Bill if he could fly him to Weathertop to help with the efforts there to get the government side of the internet fully functioning again. Bill assured him that Barrett would be happy to help out.

Today he would fly Barrett to Weathertop with a skeleton crew and then fly other personnel to DC. After that he would fly home. Barrett would stay a week at Weathertop assisting as best he could. Jason and Ravena had come to see him off. Foxworthy had come as well. The last guard rotation had told him that something strange was going on at the dairy farm and he wanted to check it out personally.

The flight crew and Barrett loaded up into the Chinook and got it ready for takeoff. Bill hoped to make them quick flights. He wanted to be back in time for dinner. The red sour cherries were in and Ana was making cherry pies for desert. As bad as things were he still enjoyed the simple things in life.

The large helicopter lifted skyward and then turned to head East as it gained enough altitude to clear the mountains. At about 500 feet above the valley suddenly there was a flash of light from the rear of the aircraft and an explosion ripped through the starboard engine. The effects were catastrophic and immediate. The Starboard engine blew off the side of the helicopter and the starboard fuel pod caught fire. The rear rotary wing suffered major disabling damage as well. The Chinook began to go in to a terrible spin. The rate of spin increased and the CH-47 spun out of control. The aircraft rapidly lost altitude and began speeding towards the cliff rock face.

The rotors made contact with the rock face and the rest of the aircraft went into the hillside hard. It rolled down the rocky face over and over and all while making horrible dying noises and picking up speed. The impacts against the rocky hillside as the craft rolled down it caused the fuel tanks to rupture and spread more fuel. Before the craft hit the horizontal plane of the Earth it was spewing flames in all directions. Upon crashing into the rocks at the bottom of the hill the craft was fully engulfed in fire and smoke.

The shocked onlookers could scarcely believe it. The Chinook was down and in flames. Bill, Barrett, Jesse and Austin had all gone down with it. Foxworthy realized that there was no chance of survival for the doomed crew, none at all. He had seen a load of bad shit over the years but nothing like this.

As the fire increased and spread the ammunition in the aircraft began cooking off launching bullets in multiple directions. One of the aircraft's M240 began run away firing in a wide arc. People began to seek cover as rounds whizzing by. Ravena and Jason huddled with each other and everyone ducked back into the armored van.

Colonel William Lester Bryant, of Moulton County, WV; Beloved father of three; Grandfather of two; one of the last bright lights in the fading world of men; due to injuries sustained in an aircraft crash at Moulton Valley. He was preceded in death by his beloved Angela; wife of 32 years and died with his son; Dr. Barrett Bryant, 31 who was also killed in the same incident. Bryant served 28 years in the US Army and was a veteran of Operation Just Cause, The Persian Gulf War, Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom. Also killed were Warrant Officer John Kelly, Jesse Thibodaux, father of two and Sergeant Thomas Austin.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:26 pm

Those last two posts finish up chapter four. Chapter five should be a race to the finish.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Marc1979

Post by Marc1979 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:45 pm

I don't normally post... But wow. That's all I got. Keep it up.

DAVE KI
Favorite Zombie Movies: WWZ though nowhere as good as the book.

Post by DAVE KI » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:14 pm

OUCH. Did not see that coming at all. Great post.
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:01 pm

Book 5 The Twilight of the Gods

R+29 1030

Jason called out the Creek and Bridge VFD on his radio and the members solemnly came out and began extinguishing the pyre. The aircraft would smolder for several days before any attempt at recovery of the remains would be made. Jason's call had another effect which was to notify those listening at Trickle Rock. Foxworthy had tried to call Colton on his cell but for some reason local cell service was out.

Shortly after the crash two F-15s flew over the crash site relatively low and slow. Foxworthy figured they were streaming live back to HANGB. They circled for a few minutes then departed to the East. Really bad news like this would travel fast. He wondered what action they would take back there if any. He wondered about what had caused the explosion on the aircraft, they all had seen it.

He wondered about the man laying over there in the burning aircraft. His eyes misted over bit and there was definitely a lump in his throat. His loss would be nothing short of devastating to everyone around them. Most of the people at Trickle Rock would probably be dead by now if Bill had not taken them all in.

Shortly after the VFD showed up and started extinguishing the flames the second armored van arrived. Colton came tearing out of the front passenger seat and took off towards the downed aircraft at a dead sprint. He stopped when he got close enough to feel the flames. He grabbed his head in his hands and sank to his knees.

His father, his brother and his team mate were all gone in fire and smoke.

He cast about desperately and saw Ravena being held by Jason near the other armored truck. He stared at her overlong in relief and shock and then his chin sunk to his chest.

It was insane to him that they had practically survived the apocalypse only to die in an aircraft crash. He felt a hand on his shoulder and looked up to see Foxworthy standing there.

"I am so sorry son." There was a long pause before he could continue. "There was an explosion at the back of the helicopter. There was no chance for them to recover."

"Why? How? How can this have happened?"

Lonnie Foxworthy was a man who did not have many unanswered questions in life. He had known for decades what kind of man he was and what his purpose was in life. He was a warrior. Perhaps even one of the better ones that his country had made within the time and circumstances of the day. Few people in the world understood the warriors creed better than him; duty, honor, courage. To most people these were just words.

He had no idea what lay beyond this life but he did not fear it either. He had lost men at war, some men even better than himself. Sometimes he had wondered why it was that they should be gone while he was still here. For some things there was just no answer. But this here was completely senseless.

"I don't know son. I just don't know. Things are going to be hard now. It is going to be impossibly tough but I need you to pull it together. We will mourn later and I will mourn right there on my knees beside you. Your father was the best friend I ever had and one of the greatest men I ever knew. We will find whoever did this and bring them to justice I promise you. For now, whoever did this and I think we know who did it, could still be a threat."

"Who would fucking do such a thing!? This is crazy is he was out flying around saving the fucking world. Who the hell would want to stop that?"

"The same type of people who started this mess. Anyone who stands to gain from anarchy and chaos. But you know who it was..."

"Fenton? Luke? Fenton is a moron and Luke is a drug dealer. How the hell could they do something like this?"

"That one buddy of Luke's was an engineer in the army and a hash head. If he got some explosives he could have rigged something up to blow. It does not take a lot of skill. If I had to guess they probably thought that you were going to be on that bird along with the rest of your team, hell the medical team too, Barrett, damn..."

The sheriff had now shown up along with the Mayor of Creek and Bridge. The sheriff was a little stunned but kept himself professional. The mayor on the other hand was beside himself.

Luke and his crew as well as Fenton and Brinda were all notable by their absence. Fenton should have been out making deliveries; but by now everyone in the county would know about the crash By all rights he should have come straight back if only out of sheer curiosity.

Foxworthy talked to the guards who told them that last night every light in the house had been on most of the night. The guards were told to stay away from the house. The group in the house played some loud music for couple of hours and then everyone crashed around 1AM. In the morning Fenton left at his usual time. About an hour later Luke left in the farm pickup with Brinda and then the rest of the group had left in the Suburban.

The Sheriff, Foxworthy, Colton and Jason went over to the house with the guards and they cleared the house. In one of the bedrooms they found the young married couple that Bill had sent over to assist Fenton in running the dairy. Their throats had been slit from ear to ear. One of the guards ran into the bathroom and vomited loudly.

The sheriff remarked that the crash was now almost certainly not an accident. He would contact the state police and get the word out to anyone who would listen to find these people. He told them that there were now so many acts of violence being reported and so few law officers available that he was unsure if there was much of a chance of catching them. He would make sure that they were on the top of the list. He would also try to get in touch with the Federal Government to see if they would send someone out.

Had the military requested it and the NTSB still investigated air craft crashes the investigation would have moved fast. The NTSB investigators would have discovered that a quantity of explosive rigged with radio detonator had been placed inside the starboard side of the helicopter. Someone within a mile had detonated the explosives causing the helicopter to suffer the catastrophic damage which led to the crash. This would have prompted the NTSB to contact the ATFE for assistance.

The ATFE would have determined through spectral analysis and other tests the type of explosives used which were common in the coal mining industry and especially common in West Virginia, one of the largest consumers of explosives in the US. The ATFE then would have tracked the explosives by batch to a mine not more than 50 miles from Moulton near the Ohio Border.

Everyone who worked at the mine was either dead or gone; having fled the plague. Contacting anyone there would have been an impossibility. Had they gone personally to the mine they would have found that someone with a pair of bolt cutters and a concrete saw had walked into the area where the explosives were held and helped themselves to whatever they needed.

There was no one left to respond to the alarm that should have gone off had it been working.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:35 pm

Damn! :shock:

I go away for a couple days and this! Great stuff! Feeling a bit bummed about Our Hero now but man, good twist!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:43 pm

R+29 1330

Gradually as the fires were extinguished the fire crews departed. Two detective from the sheriff's department showed up to process the crime scenes at the dairy farm house and the downed air craft. Jason and the sheriff assisted. Colton asked Eric Glass, the surviving team engineer sergeant to stay and assist with the investigation of the air craft crash site.

Foxworthy left instructions with the guard that if the Wolfe's or any of the missing crew were to return to the farm they were to be detained if possible but not allowed reentry no matter what. In fact for the moment no one was to be allowed in other than than him, the ODA or the police. Colton told them that he would find someone to send out tomorrow to operate the dairy the two Mexican hands would take care of the animals for now.

Colton, Ravena and Foxworthy then left in the armored vans to return to Trickle Rock. On the way back Foxworthy found himself vacillating between melancholy and anger. He was mad at himself for not placing a guard on the helicopter. He had badly underestimated the ferociousness of Luke and his friends as well as Brinda. With all the success they had they had all become complacent and then paid the price.

He did not understand what they hoped to gain but he had fought crazies before and their goals were not usually well defined. People did not need to be lucid to be extremely dangerous. As they bounced down the farm road in the mountains he realized that they must either be in hiding or have left the area. The sheriff had put out the word everywhere if they were seen they were to be treated as extremely dangerous and taken into custody for questioning. No one had reported seeing any sign of them. Fenton had not made any deliveries that day.

As they approached a sharp curve in the road that was forced due to a rock outcropping there was a flash of light from the outcropping next to the road and then the sky went dark suddenly. The windshield which had been clear a moment before became a maze of spider web cracks. There was a loud noise and suddenly Foxworthy was laying on his side. It took several seconds to realize that he was laying on his side because the van was laying on it's side, driver's side down.

This was the fourth time in his life that Foxworthy had been hit with an IED and each time was less fun than the last.

Ravena and Colton were in the vehicle behind him. He yelled for everyone in his truck to see if they were ok. Everyone was hard of hearing but alive and not bleeding much so that was a clear win. The man who had been sitting in the back had a nice gash on his head but he was conscious. Foxworthy told the driver to shut the vehicle off. He then attempted to slide open the passenger side door so they could escape. As he was pushing the door open he felt a sharp sting on his left hand and jerked it back reflexively. Much to his surprise his second favorite finger after his trigger finger was more than half missing and his hand was spewing blood. The remains of the middle bone were sticking out. He could hear more shots as the bullets impacted on the vehicle.

He sat down in the van and decided he needed to put a bandage on his before he went into hypovolemic shock. Then he would fucking kill whoever was outside the van shooting at them. He could hear the shots faintly but could not determine where they were coming from. He reached into his first aid pouch and started pulling out supplies with his good hand.

When the explosion blasted into the side of the lead van the driver of Colton's van slammed on the brakes. The driver was 1313's communication sergeant a man by the name of Meeks. Colton screamed at him to back up and at his other team mate, a medic by the name of Steve to get up in the turret with his rifle to look for threats. He was already on his way.

As the dust started to drift away from the vehicle they could see it laying on it's side. Someone was trying to open the door to escape and then a few shots rang out and the hand retreated.

Steve shouted "Contact right! Sniper on the ridge" which was followed by a large number of suppressed shots from the roof. The shots paused momentarily and Meeks moved the vehicle in an L--pattern while Steve reloaded. This was followed by another magazine being emptied. Steve shouted that the shooter was on top of a rock formation about 200 meters away at 10 O'clock. Meeks then angled the van so that Colton could exit under cover.

Colton slipped out with his suppressed M4 taking as much cover as he could keeping an eye on the hillside. Ravena exited from the rear and covered the rear. Suddenly a man holding a scoped rifle popped up from behind the rock outcropping. Steve was ready for him and fired two shots followed by Colton a fraction of a second later. The man fell forward dropping the gun. Colton saw some movement behind the man and he fired a few rounds at whatever it was. It became quiet on top of the hill.

The men waited behind cover to see if there were any more threats carefully observing the area. About five minutes later The Sheriff, Jason, and Gabe the team engineer rolled up behind them and stopped about a 100 meter away. The group dismounted with long guns and took up covering positions.

Since there had been no activity for a while Colton signaled for Meeks to pull the van forward. They pulled up next to the downed van and Colton opened the back door of the van. The men climbed out of the stricken vehicle and then into the second armored truck. They then pulled back to where the other were covering them from.

Meeks explained where he had seen the men at the ambush hiding and the sheriff told him that the only way to access that ridge was from the other side. He told them that he and Jason would grab two more deputies and climb up there with the 4X4s. He figured if anyone else was up there they would be long gone but they would recover the body. They would send the van later with a wrecker.

The rest of the group headed back to Trickle Rock. When they arrived they stopped for a moment at the gate to inform the guards about the current threats and then headed up to the old mill to get Foxworthy's hand and the driver's head tended to. Sanchez and a few others moved up to the mill.

When they arrived the medical team was waiting for them having heard a lot of the radio traffic second hand on the scanner. They ran an IV line on Foxworthy and started tending to his hand. Foxworthy told the doc it did not hurt which assumed was a lie and gave him a local while she stitched it up. The ODA waited in a room outside and discussed how to deal with the mad bombers from the dairy farm.

Dawn had come down to check on Foxworthy and was relieved to see he was not in any danger. She asked about Bill and he explained the sad story to her. Trisha was there to check on Colton and was completely distraught over Bill.

As Foxworthy was being stitched up he was getting madder and madder. Twice now he had been caught completely off guard by these goblins. He could not allow it to happen again. Clearly they were trying to exterminated everyone at Trickle Rock so that they could take over the place. How they figured to make that happen when they were outnumbered 10 to 1 was a mystery. Mass murder did not seem to be a worry to them either. He started think about what the easiest way to kill off a lot of people at Trickle Rock. And then shit...

Suddenly he started yelling; "Everyone out of the mill! Everyone out of the mill! There is a bomb in the mill."

Dr. Corum looked at him in disbelief wondering if he was having a bad reaction to the local.

Colton heard the yelling and ran into the room and asked what was going on. Foxworthy told him that they would have placed a bomb in the mill since they had access to it and figured a lot of people were in it. It would be a smart and easy follow up attack. Colton immediately agreed and yelled for everyone to grab their stuff and get out. Everyone began pouring out of the building carrying weapons, supplies and personal items.

Two of the medics grabbed the stretcher Foxworthy was on and began moving him outside as quickly as they could. Foxworthy jumped off and grabbed his rifle. He told the medics to pile medical supplies on it instead.

He and Colton then stood by the door until the building was empty. Once it was empty they then took off running. Once they were about 25 yards away there was a huge flash of light and then a sound as loud as though the world were ending. They both fell to the ground and rolled a few times. Foxworthy landed on his back looking at a debris cloud flying into the sky like a rose blossom.

Everything then faded to black.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:49 pm

Life is tough enough...yet some assholes always make it tougher.

True in real life all too often...

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:26 am

Moulton County
R+29 1900

Today Luke knew he had owned those assholes at the mill. Owned them with a capital "OH". Watching that helicopter fall from the sky had been one of the most satisfying moments of his entire empty life. Whatever else happened Bill was dead along with all those hi speed special forces guys he had brought in. Whoever didn't die in the ambush and the explosion at the mill probably wouldn't matter. It was a shame to lose Reggie up on the hill but the idiot had exposed himself. It was his own damn fault he got himself killed.

With old mill gone most of the supplies at Trickle Rock would now be destroyed. The explosion probably killed a bunch of them too. Joshua had placed several IEDs on the road away from the mill. As they sent people out of Trickle Rock to try to get more supplies it would "boom" and it would be game over. Without deliveries from the dairy they would starve out in a week possibly less.

For now they had to lay low until morning. Joshua was waiting on one of the points in case the mill sent anyone out but he was on foot and everyone else was hiding out at the vacation home cabin they had broken in to.

But Luke was a peach. He would give them one chance. If they lay down their arms and walked out peacefully they could go. Well mostly go, there were a few that had been promised out to Big John, Big John's brothers and Joshua. There was something for everybody.

They could take over Trickle Rock and use it as a base to acquire supplies from other places. The idiots at Trickle Rock had all that stuff and never even used it for anything useful. That was all going to change.

Trickle Rock
R+29 2230

As Foxworthy faded back into consciousness he realized that his hand really, really hurt. Thirty damn years behind the gun and barely a scratch. A month into the PAW and he was losing body parts. He spent the next few moments trying to figure out where he was. He looked over to his right and Colton was laying on a stretcher next to him. Colton's eyes were open and he was looking at him.

"Long day" Colton spoke.

Foxworthy could hear him so he took that as a good sign that his hearing was going to make it. He wondered for half a second if the Army would up his disability percentage now that he was missing a finger. Technically they were on active duty when they got hit. Then he realized he was a little delirious.

"Yeah." he replied. "Did everyone else make it out of the mill ok?"

"I think so, we appear to be the only ones laid up in here. They said no one died. I am good but I can't hear out my left ear. It was the one towards the blast. How about you?" Colton replied.

Foxworthy held up his left hand; "I'd give them the finger but... I think I am ok otherwise. Where are we?"

"I think we are in Milton and Ana's dining room as near as I can tell. Once everyone started taking meals at the Inn I think they moved their table and chairs over there and quit using it."

There was a bit of space in the conversation as each man thought about the events of the day.

Foxworthy spoke first; "God help me but I think I might actually enjoy killing those bastards."

"I don't want to enjoy but I can't do anything else in life until it is done. Nothing." Colton replied.

One of the flight crew nurses came over and took their vital signs and asked how they felt. Colton told her that he felt great and Foxworthy said he felt like a million bucks before taxes. She nodded and gently checked their eyes, ears and listened to their lungs carefully.

Colton told her he wanted to talk to Roy his team sergeant and Foxworthy told her he would go to see Sanchez unless she would be kind enough to fetch him and bring him here. The nurse told them that Dr. Corum would be here in a couple of minutes. If either man tried to leave the room she was ordered to grab the other medics and tie them to the stretchers.

Roy was outside the room and heard them talking and walked into the room with Trisha, Dawn and Ravena. Ravena had her rifle slung and was wearing body armor that was a couple of sizes too large. Trisha came over and hugged Colbert. Ravena looked a bit relieved to see them both up and talking.

Foxworthy spoke first; "Roy you are good man. I am going to put you in charge of security until the morning. Between being blown up twice and losing my best snapping finger I am feeling a bit under the weather and thought I would rest up till morning. I'd really appreciate it if you would double the guard and organize some route clearance on the road. Also maybe check the other buildings to make sure our old friends did not leave any more surprises that we didn't notice. They seem to have an affinity for bombs."

Roy replied; "That has all been done already Sergeant Major. Do you need anything else?"

"Damn son you should have been in charge all along, then maybe we wouldn't be in this mess?"

"I don't think I would have done any better. Those bastards sucker punched and they had all kinds of advantages and inside knowledge. They won't amount to much now though.

"I moved all the overwatch positions and rearranged the entry point a bit. I worked up a few surprises for any guests we might get. Our first dismounted sweep of the road uncovered four radio operated IEDs in pretty obvious locations. There might be more out there but it will have to wait till morning.

"They towed the van back and I had them drop it for another covered position on a potential crossing point for the creek that was not fully covered."

Colton asked him what was lost at the mill and how everybody was reacting to the attacks and Bill's death.

"Everybody is ready to kill those bastards on sight. They aren't just worked up they are pissed, really damn pissed. It is like nuts are on fire out there. Everyone on that bird was well liked by everyone here. You all better hurry up and get out of here. If anyone else sees them first they won't wait for you.

"The mill was a total loss. You guys were the last out. The only other injury was a gash to the head by one of the medics when a board landed on him. Strangely, a lot of the canned food survived the bomb. Ana put together a search party and collected it up. She was mad as hell about everything too but there is still a few hundred pounds of flour in the pantry so she has at least a couple of weeks worth of food.

"We can't move anything until we get the road clear though. The sheriff closed the road until we can do so. They killed one of his deputies with a road side bomb when they were on the way back into town about an hour ago..."

Foxworthy interrupted "Jason?"

"No it was a local guy. Jason is here. He is on overwatch right now."

Dr. Corum then walked in. She asked everyone but family to leave so that she could examine the men. Roy double checked if Colton needed anything else and then departed with Dawn. Ravena hugged Colton and left also. Corum told the men they would be laid up until morning. They were going to stay right here.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Return to “Fiction”