You get thrown back in time around 100 A.D.

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Towanda

Re: You get thrown back in time around 100 A.D.

Post by Towanda » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:31 am

MacAttack wrote:Me.

But thanks to his mother not my son. I should correct that.
Smallpox isn't a danger anymore, unless you get sent back to 100 CE. My point was that there are probably a lot of microbes that were common then that we don't see at all, or as much of, now. I'm old enough that I got shots for smallpox, TB, and polio. If I were to be sent far back in time, I'd want boosters for those, plus shots for anthrax, plague, and rabies.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:53 am

Towanda wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
fred.greek wrote:I would seriously doubt that the immune system of a present day human would be able to deal with bacteria & virus of nearly 2000 years ago.

But my vaccines are up to date... I'm even cleared to go to Disney Land!!!
How many posters in this thread are old enough to have had the smallpox vaccine?

Sent via carrier wave.
I was born in 1973 so as a child I got vaccines for nearly everything, I think I got the smallpox vaccine.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:26 am

wee drop o' bush wrote:
Towanda wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
fred.greek wrote:I would seriously doubt that the immune system of a present day human would be able to deal with bacteria & virus of nearly 2000 years ago.

But my vaccines are up to date... I'm even cleared to go to Disney Land!!!
How many posters in this thread are old enough to have had the smallpox vaccine?

Sent via carrier wave.
I was born in 1973 so as a child I got vaccines for nearly everything, I think I got the smallpox vaccine.
Smallpox was eradicated in 1980, so there are a lot of people who have never had the vaccine.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:56 am

Towanda wrote: Smallpox was eradicated in 1980, so there are a lot of people who have never had the vaccine.
Eradicated is such a bad word imo. It's actually been weaponized by several nations and some may still have it. And with no planned future vaccinations, there would be nothing to stop it.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:36 am

NamelessStain wrote:
Smallpox was eradicated in 1980, so there are a lot of people who have never had the vaccine.
Eradicated is such a bad word imo. It's actually been weaponized by several nations and some may still have it. And with no planned future vaccinations, there would be nothing to stop it.
The only stocks of live smallpox virus left are in the US and Russia. Got any reliable citations for your claim that smallpox "has been weaponized by several nations?"

"Eradicated" means that there is no more smallpox in the wild, outside the two labs that have it. You can no longer catch smallpox by breathing in public. There has not been a case of smallpox reported anywhere in the world since 1978.

Sent via carrier wave.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:52 pm

Here's some to get you started Towanda, hope they help.

"Ken Alibek (Dr. Kanatjan Alibekov), the former first deputy director of Biopreparat, the Soviet Union's civilian bioweapons program, alleges that the Soviet Union began producing large quantities of the smallpox virus and proceeded to modify that supply for use as biological weapons, including the use of genetic engineering to produce more contagious and virulent strains of the virus. (1) "
From: http://www.library.gatech.edu/security/smallpox.htm

Here's an article from the CDC back to 1999, they were discussing how to handle a biological smallpox weapon. So even they knew it existed.
From: http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/smallpox/sm ... stract.asp

Soviets were working on it as far back as 1947:
"In 1947 the Soviet Union established a smallpox weapons factory in the city of Zagorsk, 75 km to the northeast of Moscow.. An outbreak of weaponized smallpox possibly occurred during testing at the factory in the 1970s. General Prof. Peter Burgasov, former Chief Sanitary Physician of the Soviet Army, and a senior researcher within the Soviet program of biological weapons described the incident:"
From: http://www.news-medical.net/health/Smal ... rfare.aspx

And an article that discusses a weaponized version getting loose.
From: http://io9.com/in-the-1970s-a-weaponize ... 1569719841
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

nyarlotep
Favorite Zombie Movies: I don't think I've seen one. Not a big fan of the horror genre.

Post by nyarlotep » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:03 am

It appears that, in the past, people considered weaponizing it, and in the more recent past people have run a thought exercise on how one would deal with such a weapon. The fact is, it hasn't been naturally (or even unnaturally) contracted by anyone in over 35 years. Supposition and speculation based on 70-year-old plots doesn't mean the thing actually exists.
God was my co-pilot, but our plane crashed in the mountains and I ate him.

In theory, there's no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is.
- Cigarman

gridwerk

Post by gridwerk » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:39 pm

I'd drop in on Plato and, through crude drawings and rough, improvised sign language over time fill his head with all kinds of crazy notions about a magical city I invented called Atlantis. Eventually he, being one of the foremost thinkers in history, would set in motion a series of zany conspiracy theories and wild speculations about alien panspermia and other odd notions that would gain an uncertain footing over time completely boggling the minds of intellectuals, scientists and theologians for millennia to come.

be right back...

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:43 pm

Hmm Plato died about 348 BC. You would have to go back a further ~450 years if you wanted to talk to him.

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:46 pm

I would shortly die of various dark age diseases I have absolutely no natural resistance for.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:19 pm

Not before you infected the area with modern germ :awesome:

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:28 pm

In the spirit of this game.

I have terrible vision. I would be functionally blind. I have asthma and allergies. I would be miserable half the year.

Most the knowledge I have I would have trouble taking advantage of because of how nearsighted I am. It really would be miserable.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:58 pm

I don't think I'd live long.

Depending on the moment I was whisked away, there's a good chance I have a handgun and between 7 and 40 rounds on me. That might save me from being stabbed too quickly. Or killed real fast as some evil mage. The change in my pocket would have great value due to the comparitive detail in it. The cash would be amazing art to them.

The only possible skill I see being particularly valuable without industrial infrastructure is knowing arabic numerals. That's assuming I live long enough to learn the language so i can do anything with them.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:54 pm

Stercutus wrote:...try to get chosen as a replacement to one of the nine.
The Borg did not arrive on Earth until April of 2063, so your off a bit off and you don't get chosen you get assimilated.
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:05 pm

most aren't playing right, the op said
If you were sent, without warning, back in time around 100 A.D.
. nothing was said that you'd control where you'd go. So I would assume I'd be in what would become the southern U.S. someday. Were the Cherokees the main tribes here then? If manage to stay alive, try and learn the language. Most likely would be taken prisoner/enslaved by Indians. Idea I had was to hum a lot, sing to myself, maybe they would like the tunes I would know that they don't. People enjoy music, even if they can't understand the language it is in. And all of us must know hundreds of songs that they wouldn't know. Just pick the ones you think they might like.
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:22 am

the Romans invaded here in 43AD so by 100AD they were dominant over all the country, thankfully the tribes in my area didn't fight them or even have anything to do with them, they just tolerated them and got on with their normal lives.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:50 pm

I really need to start carrying more extra magazines...
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:11 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:50 pm
Like National Geographic ? :mrgreen:
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:26 am

flybynight wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:11 pm
NT2C wrote:
Don't refer to the Great Holy Texts and the cornerstone of the religion I'm going to start without kneeling and bowing your head into your armpit. :clownshoes:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:25 am

NT2C wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:26 am
flybynight wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:11 pm
NT2C wrote:
Don't refer to the Great Holy Texts and the cornerstone of the religion I'm going to start without kneeling and bowing your head into your armpit. :clownshoes:
Well if you're talking religious texts, wouldn't Playboy command a larger following of zealots?
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

bellam0r

Post by bellam0r » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:54 pm

Maybe I will be crazy, considering the fact that my world revolves around technology. :crazy:

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:54 am

if you get thrown back to 100AD your technology will be a bit different to what you have now! :lol:
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

Return to “What Would You Do?”