MOLLE Vest: The heck do I do with it?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

KnifeStyle

MOLLE Vest: The heck do I do with it?

Post by KnifeStyle » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:52 pm

A long time ago, some friends surprised me with a Camelbak Delta V MOLLE vest...in black. They pooled together to buy it for me, so despite the internal eye rolling I've kept it as a gift and for zombie-themed costume parties. It lives under my bed where it can't be seen. However, now that I'm looking into carbine training, low and behold I own things that can go in those pouches it came with. However, I am NOT showing up to a carbine course wearing a black vest...For the record, I'm a cubicle worker for a nonprofit, which only makes it funnier.

But what can I do with it? Rig it up for something to shrug on if something breaks in the middle of the night? Somehow use it for storing things in one place instead of a duffel bag? Try 3-gun and use it for reloads? Wear it casually with a fedora? Any suggestions on what I can realistically do to make the most of this white elephant gift?
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: MOLLE Vest: The heck do I do with it?

Post by cricketdave » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:00 pm

Why not use it for a carbine class, people will be in all colors of vests. Just because its black shouldn't be a reason to not use it. Vest's and chest rigs really are good to have for things like a class or a range day.

I use mine fairly often
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0xfg3PQvPU
ZS#4545

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:01 pm

Grab your extra gear and put it all together in a cache.

Save it as a loner for other friends who might show up.

Set it up with an alternative load out. Like a vehicle mobile load out.

Start wearing it to work?
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Thorne
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Thorne » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:58 pm

KnifeStyle wrote:Wear it casually with a fedora?
Yes.. so much win.

Molle is pretty universal.. you could swap out the pouches for camo'd lots of things.. maybe an admin panel for use in class?

http://www.milspecmonkey.com/index.php/ ... -organizer

http://milspecmonkey.com/store/16-pouches-panels

or turn it in to an art project.. you can weave vertical strips of cloth in whatever shade your heart desires..
Education on the value of freedoms reserved by the Bill of Rights should be a prerequisite for being a citizen of any nation. If we can't think for ourselves, then we're just putty in the hands of those in power. If citizens are educated and form their own opinions, then those in power work for us.

Carl Edward Sagan (9 Nov '34 – 20 Dec '96)

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by mystic_1 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:22 am

Slap some ZS patches on it and come play with us at conventions! :awesome:

mystic_1
Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:28 am

I thought you meant how to configure it from the title. I come from the old LCE army and all this molle is a bit intimidating on how to set it up and how to best accessorize it.
Boldly going nowhere

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:30 am

Spray paint it then throw some pouches on there and train with it, or put it up for sale.

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:25 pm

AS556 wrote:put it up for sale.

I second this. You don't have a use for it. It wasn't cheap, but it isn't a thing you can use. Sell it and get use out of your friend's gift.

This is a hydration vest, rather than being a tactical vest specifically intended for combat or whatever. Hydration vests are used by tons and tons of people for running and biking and boating and all kinds of things.

A molle hydration vest for most activities is pretty much retarded though. For most activities people pay a lot of extra money for lighter items that breathe better. Here you're paying more for molle loops that you're not really going to be using and add weight to your vest while at the same time reduce the item's breathability.

The molle loops that you do use will then require you to get pouches (more weight) and attachment materials (more weight though some pouches come with these, many do not, either way it's more material which is more weight).

The vest used by trail runners or cyclists are built very, very differently. This vest screams mall ninja. Sell it and use your friend's well intended money to get yourself something you will use.

Wraith6761

Post by Wraith6761 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:07 pm

A black vest with MOLLE attachments everywhere and hydration bladder capabilities...sounds like a teenaged paintballer/airsoft player's wet dream. I'd say sell it, use the money on something you'll actually use.
Woods Walker wrote:...I don't think it matters if a backpack has Dora the Explorer on it. Based on my observations from years of hunting and fishing if something looks and acts like prey it will draw in predators.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:59 pm

JUst so we're all on the same page.

Does seem like something better suited for vehicle use; with two tiles of mags, a pouches for an MRE, a knife and a phone. Unless you also intend to wear a duty belt the bottom loops are a waste. Bet they're stitched on solid do it'd be a shame to cut them off.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:24 pm

Use it as a hiking/trekking vest. Add a couple of pouches for trail nibbles, compass and map, fire starting kit, etc. Or cut up strips of jute or sackcloth and tie them to the MOLLE anchor points and make a ghillie vest.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:33 pm

I will attest that this is NOT a hydration vest, it is truly a load bearing vest which just happens to have a hydration slot built into it. I know of those runner's vests which are basically mesh, this is a heavy pile of nylon with serious stitching designed to hold weight and has recoil padding. Ugly? Very. Real? Yes.

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:06 am

KnifeStyle wrote:I will attest that this is NOT a hydration vest, it is truly a load bearing vest which just happens to have a hydration slot built into it. I know of those runner's vests which are basically mesh, this is a heavy pile of nylon with serious stitching designed to hold weight and has recoil padding. Ugly? Very. Real? Yes.
It is a hydration vest. It really quite literally is that thing. It has additional capabilities, but that doesn't change that it is a vest designed to hold water.

For the carbine course you're thinking about doing, you may consider a battle belt. It will breathe better than the vest. The vest brand new goes for $130-$200 according to a little web searching. For that kind of money you can get a sufficient battle belt, plus pouches for your course (and have some cash left over).

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)

Post by corrsk » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:47 pm

I'll take it if you don't want it

JohnnyMayhem

Post by JohnnyMayhem » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:52 pm

I noticed that there were two tubes on there.

And all I'm thinking is, ubertactical mobile bar setup!
Art Vs Mayhem
www.johnnymayhem.com

Chicago Zombie
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The only bad zombie movie is an unwatched zombie movie...(& American Zombie, Dead Country, Zombiez, Dead Clowns....)

Post by Chicago Zombie » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:27 pm

mystic_1 wrote:Slap some ZS patches on it and come play with us at conventions! :awesome:

mystic_1
This is exactly what I was going to say! :awesome:
ZSC:020 Chapter Officer. IL, WI, or IN resident? Please stop by the ZSC:020 Chicagoland Forum!
CERT & RACES member.
ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks
May is Ehlers Danlos Syndrome awareness month!
"You can't always decide what happens to you, but you can decide how you react."

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:03 pm

My options thus far:
-Sell it.
-Spray paint it and run it.
-Run it stock with Oakleys, 5.11 pants, a G-shock watch, and other name brands that hide the fact I work in a cubicle.
-Arrange utility pouches over it as an organizer/container for a cache kit.
-Earn money responding to kinky Craiglist ads wearing it.
-Costume mode by adding fake accessories and/or weaving decorative cord and scraps through the webbing. ITS just did an article where a guy added samurai armor knots to his.

Davidson

Post by Davidson » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:25 pm

KnifeStyle wrote:My options thus far:
-Sell it.
-Spray paint it and run it.
-Run it stock with Oakleys, 5.11 pants, a G-shock watch, and other name brands that hide the fact I work in a cubicle.
-Arrange utility pouches over it as an organizer/container for a cache kit.
-Earn money responding to kinky Craiglist ads wearing it.
-Costume mode by adding fake accessories and/or weaving decorative cord and scraps through the webbing. ITS just did an article where a guy added samurai armor knots to his.
I propose a combination of all of the above:
  • Customize the daylights out of it. Armor knots, utility pouches, custom spray paint/re-dye job, etc.
  • Wear it to the class. Get it nice and used: Mud, grime, sweat, etc. Document with pictures.
  • Include pics in the Craigslist postings. Upcharge.
  • Continue to document with pictures. When it's reached prime value, cash out.
  • Get a fresh vest and start over. Invest the extra.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:12 pm

Shame its not a plate carrier, you could just hold on to it and create a bubba-fied BPV if the SHTF.

Its mall ninja black which isn't a popular color for tactical nylon. Even airsoft and paintballers would po-po black tactical gear. Its also doesn't seem that hiker friendly. I have hiked with small black chest rigs and even hippie hikers don't give me a 2nd look, but hiking with that thing you will not only make you look like a psycho, but you will also sweat your ass off.

Other then sell it, give it away, or just screw around with it....I got nothing.

brewmeister

Post by brewmeister » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:47 pm

Sell it.

Wear a war belt or a chest rig for a Carbine Class if you have to. There's a reason why you don't see MOLLE vests being used these days. The 1990s-early-2000's called and want their vest back.

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)

Post by corrsk » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:19 am

I offer $10 + shipping

Return to “Bug Out Gear”