Press therapy - reloading room *chat*

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

zobmiedown

Re: Press therapy - reloading room *chat*

Post by zobmiedown » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:34 pm

Ok so I have picked up 50 or so 45 acp casings that have small primer pockets. Any one have the same thing and if s have you reloaded them. What I am wondering is if just a small pistol primer would be sufficient or if it would require a small pistol magnum primer or even a small rifle primer to reload these? I could just scrap them but they are all in perfect shape and I would love to be able to make use of them.
Regulators mount up.

rednekrampager
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell i love them all.

Post by rednekrampager » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:58 pm

I've used CCI small pistol primers in cases like you described with no problems.

Sent via electronic carrier pigeon.
Get off my lawn!!

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:00 pm

I've used small pistol primers with no problem too. Depending on load, for hotter loads I've used small magnum pistol primers. I've also read load data on the 450 and they used small rifle magnum primers. So it all depends on load.
ZS#4545

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:03 pm

OK sounds like it should not be an issue. I will have to get some loaded up and get to the range.
Regulators mount up.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:16 pm

Standard small pistol primers work fine, but whatever you do, don't mix them in with your standard large primer pocket .45s. It just saves you the aggravation of sorting after, missing one, and crunching a primer when you try to load a large primer into a small pocket.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:15 pm

I have sorted them out and do so every time I am working with casings. I de-prime and then sort as I am cleaning the primer pockets.
Regulators mount up.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:19 am

Anyone loading 6.5 Grendel on x39 cases? I've been reading up and I didn't know that there is a difference in the case capacity. Like 5% difference.

For those who load it, is the difference in performance negligible, noticeable, or non-existent?
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Black Sheep
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Tetsuo, Redneck Zombies, Braindead, Dawn remake, Return of the Living Dead, Evil Dead, Matango, The Quick and the Undead, The Last Man on Earth, Wild Zero!

Post by Black Sheep » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:41 am

I found a good load for my 308, so no need to get a new one. For now anyway.

This was 10 rounds of .308 at 100m, fired off a rolled up hoody. 45 gr 2208 (AKA varget), Hornady 168gr AMAX, CAC brass.

Fear? I know not fear. There are only moments of confusion. Some of them are deeply stamped on my memory and a few will haunt me forever. Hunter S. Thompson

Eschew the monumental. Shun the Epic. All the guys who can paint great big pictures can paint great small ones. Ernest Hemingway

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Post by Brotherbadger » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:24 am

My .223 dies arrived on Thursday, so i decided to break into my stash of brass and start prepping. Sized and reamed about 600 pieces of .223/5.56 this weekend. HOLY GOD reaming is tedious. It went by reasonably quickly. Threw the bit into my drill and went to town while watching a Futurama marathon. Still, I'll be glad not to have to ream brass every time.
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:31 am

Are you reaming the necks or trimming the length? The only time I've had to ream out a case is when I'm re-purposing a case for a different caliber. Like when resizing 308 brass for 243. Just curious about your process.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:43 am

Found this article. CUP vs PSI. I found it interesting. From the Lyman 47th handbook.

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/ftp/psicuparticle2.pdf

procyon

Post by procyon » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:13 am

I'm going to guess it was military brass with crimped primer pockets. I've dealt with some of that in the past, but with .30-06 cases.

After you get the brass sized and the old primer out, it helps a lot to ream out the primer pocket so you can get the next primer in without fighting it.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:57 am

Hmm... I didn't know that about military brass. Usually when I buy bulk brass I try to stick with Winchester brass new or used. I trade out to other brands to guys at the range.
Last edited by brothaman on Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:55 pm

So I started reloading on 17 Oct 2013 and as of now I have loaded a total of 15120 rounds. The question is can I legally sell the ammo I have manufactured on my own? I don't want to part with any of it I am mostly curious if legally I can do so.

I have also taken up melting lead as well. I have melted 172 pounds of it in the last few months and cast it into one pound bricks courtesy of the lee mold I have. All of this lead is previously fired lead that we have picked up down the street from my house where everyone goes shooting in the riverbed. I plan on casting it into useable bullets some time soon when I run low on what I purchased for reloading. I have molds for 9mm 124gr 45 apc 230gr and 38/357 158gr. Most of my casting soon will be for the 9mm since that's what I seem to acquire the most casings of and I have the least purchased of. Any one have any tricks or things I need to consider for casting the bullets? It seems pretty straight forward to me.
Regulators mount up.

Black Sheep
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Tetsuo, Redneck Zombies, Braindead, Dawn remake, Return of the Living Dead, Evil Dead, Matango, The Quick and the Undead, The Last Man on Earth, Wild Zero!

Post by Black Sheep » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:22 am

I'm not from the States but I think I've heard you need a license or permit to sell ammo you've manufactured, so be careful until someone who can be more specific comes on.

If you're going to cast lead you need ventilation, fire safety, heavy protective gear and a child and animal free work area.

My 2c.
Fear? I know not fear. There are only moments of confusion. Some of them are deeply stamped on my memory and a few will haunt me forever. Hunter S. Thompson

Eschew the monumental. Shun the Epic. All the guys who can paint great big pictures can paint great small ones. Ernest Hemingway

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Post by Brotherbadger » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:47 am

procyon wrote:I'm going to guess it was military brass with crimped primer pockets. I've dealt with some of that in the past, but with .30-06 cases.

After you get the brass sized and the old primer out, it helps a lot to ream out the primer pocket so you can get the next primer in without fighting it.
Yeah, it was the pocket primers. Normally i don't get military brass, but have a few friends who give me all their .223/5.56 brass.
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:59 am

For military brass I've always used a dillon super swage 600, it is the fastest way to open up the primer pocket to reload. Its a lot faster and easier than trying to ream it.
ZS#4545

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:43 pm

I do all my lead melting on either the front or back patio depending on time of year. Front patio is uncovered but these days the covered back one is two cold right now. Back patio in the warmer months as it is covered but still very ventilated as it has three ceiling fans and is not enclosed.

As for the crimped primer pockets I just throw the primer pocket reaming tip from my lyman primer pocket tool into my cordless drill and it works wonderfully.
Regulators mount up.

eugene

Post by eugene » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:54 pm

Just setup my new turret press, well bolted to a board and sat it on a box in my entryway since the garage was cold but tan a few trough it to test it out anyway.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:35 am

Does 4.0gr of Unique under a 125gr RNFP cast lead bullet sound like a good load for plinking with a .38? I got the load off ruger-forum, the poster said it's from the Lyman manual. I loaded up 20 to try, but have never loaded before. I'm using CCI primers and mixed brass.

procyon

Post by procyon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:33 am

AS556 wrote:Does 4.0gr of Unique under a 125gr RNFP cast lead bullet sound like a good load for plinking with a .38? I got the load off ruger-forum, the poster said it's from the Lyman manual. I loaded up 20 to try, but have never loaded before. I'm using CCI primers and mixed brass.
Maybe.

It won't be to hot if that is the worry.
I have issues with Unique and leading in barrels on cast lead bullets if they don't have gas checks. It burns fast so if you have a short barrel it will work well even with light bullets. But that tends to mean that the pressure/heat of the powder likes to draw lead off the base of the bullet and leave it on your barrel. Lube helps, but gas checks are the only thing that has kept it down to minimal levels.

The other issue with Unique is you need to have a good powder measurement if you are wanting anything other than pop can plinking accuracy. With the small charges, a couple tenths of a grain can make a big difference in how fast that light bullet will leave the barrel. Which leads to a lot of vertical stringing from how far the recoil has moved the muzzle when the bullet leaves it.
You also want to be very careful as a double charge will be REALLY bad. 8 grains of Unique is damn close to .357 levels and will get your attention even if your gun is built to handle the pressure. And it is still just going to be a little bity pile of powder in the case.

So is it ok as a plinker - yes. Just be careful and don't expect 'target' accuracy if you use a 'run of the mill' charger to load your shells.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:40 am

brothaman wrote:Anyone loading 6.5 Grendel on x39 cases? I've been reading up and I didn't know that there is a difference in the case capacity. Like 5% difference.

For those who load it, is the difference in performance negligible, noticeable, or non-existent?
Did you ever get an answer to your question?

I am just starting into reloading 7.62X39, so I always figured at some point if I bought or built a Grendel, I could always convert my brass over to 6.5 .

Really, my best guess would be to ask on ARFcom in the reloading subforum.

Someday....someday... I would like to have both a 6.5 and a 6.8 and shoot them both over a chrono and see how they do, with my own two eyes.

Guns are icky!

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:06 pm

I know I will probably get 20 different opinions on this.

I am considering getting into reloading. I was planning on getting a set up using my income tax refund. However the refund was not as large as I expected. A friend just got his press last year and he has a Hornady Lock and load progressive.

I am planning on going to his house to look at his set up. Cost wise though I don't think I can swing the $600 dollars it looks like it takes to get the press dies, accessories, powder bullets and primers. I see a lot of people say they are happy using a single stage press.

I saw this on Cabelas web site.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... t104516280

The price seems to good to be true compared to the Hornady. Is there that much difference in the quality of the set up? It looks to be over $200 cheaper than the Hornady. What are the major differences?

A lot of people seem to recommend the Lee Anniversary press. Is that better than the Lee Pro 1000?

I guess I should add that I plan on loading mostly 40 S&W pistol ammo. For now I have no plans on doing rifle ammo.

ZMace
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by ZMace » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:56 pm

I use a Lee single stage press for handgun rounds, and I am perfectly happy with it. I haven't used a Hornady press though.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”