Semi Auto Assault Rifle (For a lefty) in 5.56mm

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

What Semi Auto Assault Rifle would you recommand

1. HK-416
12%
2. CZ-58
12%
3. Ruger Mini-14
No votes
4. Other
76%

Total votes: 17

Black Sun Dawn

Semi Auto Assault Rifle (For a lefty) in 5.56mm

Post by Black Sun Dawn » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:32 pm

Good Day,

I plan to get a Semi-Auto Rifle in 5.56mm.

It will a pretty hard decision but I Think i could limit it to my three favorites.

1. HK-416
Asset:
1. Very Reliable
2. Easy Available (can get and ordered in nearly every store)
3. Easyy to upgrade (the List of extra stuff to equid on the rifle is very long)
liability:
1. Extremly Expensive

2. CZ-58
Asset:
1. Unexpensive
2. More accurate as AK's
3. The gun controlls look like they would fit for a lefty handed man
liability:
1. Hard to get

3. Ruger Mini-14
Asset:
1. Unexpensive
2. Higher durability as the AR versions (what a lot people say)
3. A Lot extra stuff available
liability:
1. I was never so comfortable with the american hole iron signs

So what would you recommand me? :?:

THX
qui desiderat pacem praeparat bellum

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Re: Semi Auto Assault Rifle (For a lefty) in 5.56mm

Post by emclean » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:04 pm

i have two recomendations
first is the IMI Tavor.
pro
ambidextrous
STANG magazens
compact, much longer barrel for the over all leangth.

pro and con
you are going to want an optic on it, sight radious very short

con
expensive
parts not very common

second is a left handed upper. the conrtoles are all reversed form standard ones.
it has all the pro and cons of other AR's except that the brass is being tossed away from your body.

praharin

Post by praharin » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:29 pm

emclean wrote: second is a left handed upper. the conrtoles are all reversed form standard ones.
it has all the pro and cons of other AR's except that the brass is being tossed away from your body.
There are no controls on an AR upper. Unless you count the dust cover as a control...

I vote for a standard AR15

BSD: Where are you from? Although your grammar is pretty good, some of the syntax is a little off for a native English speaker.

I can't think of anything the 416 will do that a standard AR won't. Except maybe impress your friends. As a first/only gun, you're better off going with a normal gun, and spending the remaining $2000+ on ammo, mags and training.

If the Mini 14 is more durable than an AR, it better damn well be. You can't really buy spare/replacement parts. Ruger wants to have them hand fit by their trained gunsmiths. With an AR (and maybe the CZ) you could theoretically pick up parts off the ground and have a drop in replacement many times.

If you want one 5.56 semi auto rifle (or a few other calibers) the AR is usually the right choice.
Biggin wrote:praharin can be an insufferable dick

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead"

Post by Tobias05 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:09 am

Southpaw here, running an AR15 wrong handed with no problems. No fancy ambi switches or dual sided charging handles. I just do everything the wrong way. Been living in a right handed world my whole life, why change.

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:04 am

Get a AR-15. Literally tens of thousands of left handed folks have gone through basic shooting them with no problem.

Black Sun Dawn

Post by Black Sun Dawn » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:02 am

first is the IMI Tavor.
Thanks for this recommandation but unfortunatly bullpup guns are illegal in my area :(
BSD: Where are you from? Although your grammar is pretty good, some of the syntax is a little off for a native English speaker.
You got me I am german

Southpaw here, running an AR15 wrong handed with no problems. No fancy ambi switches or dual sided charging handles. I just do everything the wrong way. Been living in a right handed world my whole life, why change.
Ohh I even shoot some bolt action rifles on the range left handed it's just about I want to have a t least one gun fits more for a left handed man
If you want one 5.56 semi auto rifle (or a few other calibers) the AR is usually the right choice.
I shut take a look on them but the Schmeißer AR-15 are not much cheaper as the HK-416
Just the DPMS Oracle you can get for less than a half of the price of HK. Does have anyone here have any experience with them?

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:25 am

Black Sun Dawn wrote:
first is the IMI Tavor.
Thanks for this recommandation but unfortunatly bullpup guns are illegal in my area :(
You got me I am german

Ohh I even shoot some bolt action rifles on the range left handed it's just about I want to have a t least one gun fits more for a left handed man
I shut take a look on them but the Schmeißer AR-15 are not much cheaper as the HK-416
Just the DPMS Oracle you can get for less than a half of the price of HK. Does have anyone here have any experience with them?
I have experience with the DPMS Oracle, and mine works just fine. The furniture on it is less than stellar, but that's an easy fix if it bothers you that much. I like mine and it works for me.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:28 am

Of the ones you listed, the HK 416. For most users I would recommend a standard AR15, as you can purchase a high-quality one much cheaper than an HK416 and (again, for most users) there is no tangible benefit to a 416 over an AR. The few people who actually need an HK416 for practical reasons know why they need one and don't need my advice. That being said, if a quality AR15 (I would not count a DPMS as quality) is nearly the price of a 416, I see no reason not to go with the 416.

I have no idea if they're available in your area, but the FN SCAR is also ambidextrous and fits your requirements. They're really not better than an AR15 in any major way, but they're quality weapons. The Beretta ARX-160 would also be an ambidextrous option, again, no idea if they're available in Germany.

praharin

Post by praharin » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:11 am

If I could find a MR223 (US import version of the 416) for twice the price of a DPMS I'd buy as many as I could carry :crazy:

Given your location, it may be your best option.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:29 am

Can't you just get or build a left handed AR-15?

I know Stag Arms has left handed AR rifles, or you can just get an left sided upper receiver, and ambidextrous kit for the lower controls if you want to build your own.

https://www.stagarms.com/left-handed-rifles/

However I go with what others have said, adapt and learn to shoot right handed rifles, and you can buy and use almost any rifle out there.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:48 am

Yeah AR. I'd like to point out that even though I am right handed I often put ambi controls on an AR just for speed and ease of operation. They work just fine.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Black Sun Dawn

Post by Black Sun Dawn » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:57 am

(I would not count a DPMS as quality)
It was just the most cheapest on the webpage of the major importer.

There are a lot AR-15 variants made by SIG Sauer in price ranges from 50% of a HK-416 up to HK price available.
Here has SIG Sauer a very good reputation.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:21 am

There are no controls on an AR upper. Unless you count the dust cover as a control...
forward assist, ok so not really a control, but it is up there.

praharin

Post by praharin » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:39 am

I actually didn't know those were reversed. That means you need a special bolt carrier (in addition to the bolt itself). That would be a no go for me if I were a lefty.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:41 pm

I'm another AR fan. It fits the needs of the vast majority of people, and then some.

But however, not knowing what prices/availabilities etc you have at your disposable, it's tough to really consider where your money will be best spent.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:51 am

Tobias05 wrote:Southpaw here, running an AR15 wrong handed with no problems. No fancy ambi switches or dual sided charging handles. I just do everything the wrong way. Been living in a right handed world my whole life, why change.
I'd echo this, but I've upgraded to ambidextrous safeties, and have wondered just why I didn't do it earlier.

But yes. The AR 15 is just fine for lefties. Even better with the right safety. :mrgreen:
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

eeb

Post by eeb » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:16 pm

My DPMS has been as reliable as anything else I have, possibly more. My father is left handed, and operated it just fine, some who use a more bladed stance may have issues with brass ejecting towards them.

A question for the hive mind, if you open up an ejection port on the left side of the receiver, can you install the bolt upside-down and have the brass go out the left side?
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:34 pm

eeb wrote:My DPMS has been as reliable as anything else I have, possibly more. My father is left handed, and operated it just fine, some who use a more bladed stance may have issues with brass ejecting towards them.

A question for the hive mind, if you open up an ejection port on the left side of the receiver, can you install the bolt upside-down and have the brass go out the left side?
Ummm.... no. The bolt will not install upside down.
You go over and under
I go through

First Shirt

Post by First Shirt » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:42 pm

I've been running M16s/AR15s since 1972, and always managed to shoot Expert at annual quals. Even did a couple of high-speed/low-drag schools, in my younger days, and didn't find being a lefty to be a big problem.

But last year I bought a Stag-2HL, and I've spent lots of time since then kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Ever so much more user-friendly, and no worries about the occasional piece of hot brass bouncing off the end of my nose. It's even better with the .22LR conversion, which is no more than a modified bolt and (majorly) modified magazine.

Wish I'd done it sooner!

Holger Danske
Favorite Zombie Movies: Charlottes Web

Post by Holger Danske » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:59 pm

Lifetime lefty here, no problem with the standard M-16 / AR-15 format on and off since 1981. However I highly recommend the battle arm development (B.A.D) ambi-safety.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:18 pm

Holger Danske wrote:Lifetime lefty here, no problem with the standard M-16 / AR-15 format on and off since 1981. However I highly recommend the battle arm development (B.A.D) ambi-safety.
Good for righty's too! :D
You go over and under
I go through

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:14 pm

Holger Danske wrote:Lifetime lefty here, no problem with the standard M-16 / AR-15 format on and off since 1981. However I highly recommend the battle arm development (B.A.D) ambi-safety.
Yeah, that's pretty much the way to go. :D
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

eeb

Post by eeb » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:34 pm

Stercutus wrote:
eeb wrote:My DPMS has been as reliable as anything else I have, possibly more. My father is left handed, and operated it just fine, some who use a more bladed stance may have issues with brass ejecting towards them.

Ummm.... no. The bolt will not install upside down.
Looking at some spare parts, I'd like to clarify: the bolt will install into the carrier upside down, and engage the barrel in any of the eight orientations permitted by the lugs. Unfortunately, a standard bolt upside down will want to spit the brass down and to the left, rather than up or straight out, and the area required for the ejection port is also required to support the bolt carrier's bearing surface. So be careful during assembly to get the bolt installed correctly, but it's not something you can take advantage of to optimize your rifle on the cheap.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:04 pm

...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”