MINI 14 FLAME WAR continued

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Re: MINI 14 FLAME WAR continued

Post by Mountainsquid » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:45 am

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
And so on. Backed up by physical evidence of the same, of course. If they think a single 22lr hit to the chest will kill you before you hit the ground, and this guy is hit by something bigger, and keeps presenting a threat, then this guy must be some sort of hulk/terminator hybrid, right? ( ;) ) So multiple shots would definitely not be excessive. I'm lucky to have survived.

Game. Set. Match.

Then the Prosecutor digs up a news story about someone who dropped a home invader with a .22 lever gun, and again asks the jury why you had to use 20 rounds to stop the threat.

Yes, function should be the primary concern of a weapon, but if you're seriously considering using the gun for self/home defense, you need to keep in mind how it might look to a jury.

Especially when he points out the posts you made on a message board about prepping and zombies and tries to call your state of mine into question :v:

Mountainsquid

Post by Mountainsquid » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:46 am

LowKey wrote: If that's the type of DA/prosecutor that you have in your area....get rid of him/her. They're elected, are they not? If that fails....vote with your feet.

"Hey guys, just pack up and move. It's that easy!"

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:04 am

Mountainsquid wrote:
LowKey wrote: If that's the type of DA/prosecutor that you have in your area....get rid of him/her. They're elected, are they not? If that fails....vote with your feet.

"Hey guys, just pack up and move. It's that easy!"
If you're 150lbs overweight I'm sure you'd echo the same sentiment when your doctor told you to loose the weight..."Hey guy, just loose 150 pounds. It's that easy!"
Still wouldn't change the fact that you'd need to loose the weight. Just as you need to relocate if you live somewhere that:
(a)The local procecutors would railroad someone in a legititmte and lawful self-defense case.
(b)The local voters work to keep such a person in office rather than removing him. That place is a lost cause.

Relocating can be easy for some, and an ordeal for others. Doesn't change the fact that if you live someplace that would railroad you for lawfully defending yourself that you should probably put relocating to somehwere that you can lawfully defend yourself without being railroaded high up on your priority list.

1-Ability to support my family with a job (Food, shelter, medicine, ect)
2-Ability to protect my family (without being railroaded)
3- EVERYTHING ELSE:
Oh! I love the scenery here....
Such convienent shopping.....
Grandma lives right around the corner...
I grew up here....
I FEAR CHANGE!!!!

I'm pretty sure the, "...but moving is so hard" sentiment has kept millions in place while things slowly went to shit around them. Then they bitch that they should have left earlier...

I imagine that people who moved from Detroit 10-15 years ago feel pretty pleased with their decision despite how hard it may have been at the time.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:03 am

Mountainsquid wrote:
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
And so on. Backed up by physical evidence of the same, of course. If they think a single 22lr hit to the chest will kill you before you hit the ground, and this guy is hit by something bigger, and keeps presenting a threat, then this guy must be some sort of hulk/terminator hybrid, right? ( ;) ) So multiple shots would definitely not be excessive. I'm lucky to have survived.

Game. Set. Match.

Then the Prosecutor digs up a news story about someone who dropped a home invader with a .22 lever gun, and again asks the jury why you had to use 20 rounds to stop the threat.

Yes, function should be the primary concern of a weapon, but if you're seriously considering using the gun for self/home defense, you need to keep in mind how it might look to a jury.

Especially when he points out the posts you made on a message board about prepping and zombies and tries to call your state of mine into question :v:
It's funny how people conveniently ignore parts of my posts to make arguments. :v:
(Obviously it's a different situation if you deliberately choose a less-effective weapon for the specific purpose of "getting to unload" on somebody. If it's all you've got, or the closest at hand, make it work.)
Mountainsquid wrote:Then the Prosecutor digs up a news story about someone who dropped a home invader with a .22 lever gun, and again asks the jury why you had to use 20 rounds to stop the threat.
Then my defense lawyer makes him and everyone who makes the same f***ing stupid argument look like morons.
Florida woman survives gunshot between the eyes
Police investigators would theorize that the man fired three shots from a gun that they believe was a .44-caliber handgun. One of the bullets struck Marie directly between the eyes.
"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, this woman was shot between the eyes with a .44 caliber handgun. And survived, only needing stitches. A .44 caliber handgun. Does that sound familiar to you? Can you think of anybody else who used a .44 caliber handgun? I'm sure you can:
My client is not Dirty Harry, nor did he have such a massively powerful handgun at his disposal. But as you can see, even that is no guarantee that a single shot will stop a determined attacker."
Especially when he points out the posts you made on a message board about prepping and zombies and tries to call your state of mine into question
Like this one:
(Obviously it's a different situation if you deliberately choose a less-effective weapon for the specific purpose of "getting to unload" on somebody. If it's all you've got, or the closest at hand, make it work.)
:?:

Seriously, can we put this imbicilic "excessive number of rounds fired" argument to bed and get back to hating on the Mini 14? :lol:
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

praharin

Post by praharin » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:25 am

Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Seriously, can we put this imbicilic "excessive number of rounds fired" argument to bed
nope

:clap:
Biggin wrote:praharin can be an insufferable dick

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:16 pm

praharin wrote:
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Seriously, can we put this imbicilic "excessive number of rounds fired" argument to bed
nope

:clap:
Eh, can't blame a monkey for trying, right? :D

I mean, just because this is my bedside gun, everybody's gotta freak out or something...
:awesome:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:16 pm

All right doods we need some solid research on this topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycagSJTvaJs

That should be the comprehensive research.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:27 pm

Even his video description is long-winded! :rofl:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm

I knows; but I could not stop the frantic giggling when he Cerkotes his synthetic stock to protect it. That should keep it well protected from... anything that might hurt it.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

praharin

Post by praharin » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:17 pm

Stercutus wrote:All right doods we need some solid research on this topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycagSJTvaJs

That should be the comprehensive research.
It's built like a tank and costs around $650 in 2010
That sums it up right there. At $650 it's not so hard to swallow. It's tough to find a decent used specimen for that anymore. Yes, they're out there, but you better jump on it quick, because they don't seem to last long.

One thing I really like about ol' nuttin' is that when he does a review, it's actually a review. He tells you what he thinks of a product. Most product reviews on youtube are just overviews of the features, often read verbatim from manufacturer or retailer listings.

That said, he sure takes his time doing it :words: :words: :words: :words: :words:
Biggin wrote:praharin can be an insufferable dick

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:24 pm

I think the argument that the DA and jury will eat you alive depending on your weapon choice is a pretty weak one. I personally have been hearing this for years now and never seen any concrete evidence supporting it. If you really think it's a big deal use a good ol' pump gun.

That said, a tacticool hi cap pistol and tacticool AR sleep next to my nightstand. And they're both black! The horror...

eeb

Post by eeb » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:56 pm

jor-el wrote: Would only be of concern in the NYC region where the previous police commissioner established a ‘three shots and assess‘ rule.
Current New York politician Schumer says bombs are legal, so maybe we should start building Claymores. When you get arrested, just tell the police you were acting on the advice of your congressman. Seriously, though, the former commissioner is giving you two extra shots before expecting you to assess if more are needed, don't look that gift in the mouth.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:33 pm

One thing I really like about ol' nuttin' is that when he does a review, it's actually a review. He tells you what he thinks of a product. Most product reviews on youtube are just overviews of the features, often read verbatim from manufacturer or retailer listings.

That said, he sure takes his time doing it :words: :words: :words: :words: :words:
Agreed - most "reviews" on youtube are comprised of the reviewer repeating "It's just a really [great/good/comfortable/cool] gun" over and over and splicing in some video of them shooting it as rapidly as possible and probably missing a lot.

OT - If someone is really worried about jury appearances, putting on an "high capacity assault rifle magazine" on a Mini might not look all that great either.
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

Mountainsquid

Post by Mountainsquid » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:40 am

Showed the girl I've been seeing the armory for the first time on Friday. She had never seen a gun in person before, and was from a town near Newtown CT(she even asked if I had permits for them, adorable).

After seeing the ARs and AKs, when the Mini came out she said "that looks like a hunting gun", even though I have green Hogue stock on it and a flash hider. The whole exercise basically confirmed my belief that, yes, looks do matter and people have preconceived notions about what is a gun used for.

Mikeyboy

Re: The Other Forum I Visit

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:47 am

Going all the way back to what jor-el said about the original Mini-14 pencil barrel flex and the need for an accu-strut, I found an interesting slow mo video of a Mini-14, an AK-47 and a budget DPMS AR-15. You can see the difference in barrel stability between the 3.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”