Take down Rome circa 33 restart modern civilization

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

vegasguy

Take down Rome circa 33 restart modern civilization

Post by vegasguy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:03 am

OK, this is the premise. Imagine if you will there was a breakthrough in science that actually allowed time travel (or multiverse travel, same difference). Now because this science and technology is new the find that the costs and energy requirements to operate it are incredible prohibitive, so much that it becomes a national project to make it happen for even a single timegate to be opened for any amount of time. Second, we find that there is some sort of Life Ending Event (be it a gamma ray burst, asteroid, plague, super solar flare, etc) that is coming and without any doubt, regardless of how hard we would try it is unavoidable and it WILL result in the end of humanity as we know it. Don't get too caught up on this, for argument sake the other nations of the world will be attempting other projects to save a portion of their civilization through other means, but that is not really important to this game. That said, this will be a one way trip, no resupply.

In this scenario the nation has enough time to create a single time gate and for whatever reason we find that we have the most stable connection to Italy circa 33AD. This time was chosen as like I said it has the best "connection" as well as it is in a time period where there is ample civilization and technology of any other potential timegate locations, but like I said the gate can not be too large nor kept open for too long, maybe 24 hours at the most, so the amount of people and supplies you can keep through is limited. For argument sake the mathematical equations show that we should be able to bring through about 500,000 people and the supplies required for about a year though a timegate that you could roughly fit a two and a half ton truck through, so say 3m by 3m, but this gate does limit the size of equipment you can bring. Prior to the opening of the gate all the chosen equipment will be staged so that it can be processed as quickly as possible but there will be no time to spare, so it has been decided that anything that has to be striped down and rebuilt in place will not be allowed; so no CAS, no tanks, no helicopters. If it can't walk, drive, or ride AS IS it doesn't go.

Finally, as you are essentially landing in the backyard of the Roman Empire you can be assured that they will not welcome your intrusion, and knowing the Romans, they WILL be hostile. How you handle them is up to you, so you can bring enough enough weapons and ammo to either defeat them outright or you can bring enough to cow them into a peace of sorts hoping you can build an alliance of neighbors large enough to hold them off if and when they get ready to attack you again. If you want I suppose you could bring infected people and kill them off with disease, but remember your mission is to save the human race, not decimate it. Your goal is to create a society that will eventually be powerful enough to establish itself in the ancient world, build up it's strength and avert or avoid the Life Ending Event that will occur in two thousand years.

How do you do it, Commander? Who do you bring? What do you bring? What is your plan? There have been no scouts sent, so no advanced intelligence, you are going in hot and operating loose and fast with the rules. As the gate is opening your navigation teams runs through, using the stars and best maps available you find you have landed ten miles due west of the Roman city of Egnatia, roughly the location of modern day Bari.

Stercutus

Re: Take down Rome circa 33 restart modern civilization

Post by Stercutus » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:46 am

Phaser, tricorder, communicator, standard uniform. I'll bring the doc but he has to promise to CB me or I'll put a beat down on him.

These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:28 pm

I would send 100 thousand to Brundesium and take the port there.

They would also be taking the vehicles and equipment and saving as much fuel as possible.

The rest of my 400 thousand solders would take the Appian Way road and move on Rome as fast as possible.

Since Legions were not allowed anyplace close to Rome and most if not all would be stationed out side Italy I would see little to no opposition. Take the capital and thus the senate and force to rich to back me and my legions as the new leadership.

Along with the new knowledge and technology we bring and the sound defeat the first legion receives when it tries to take back Rome the Empire would be ours totally inside a year with no questions asked afterward.

After Rome falls move all the equipment and vehicles into Rome by slaves. Got to save that fuel.

mace

Post by mace » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:27 pm

Out fit the expedition with some of the light weight backpack aerial drones and SWORDS combat drones. Deploy dirigibles equipped with long range surveillance equipment that can be hooked to command control centers mounted on the back of small truck. Equip recon units with little 2 man buggies with m249s and mk19s mounted . All vehicles and equipment will be equipped to run on solar. The combat troops would be issued a M4 or FAL with the side folding stock and a uniform made of Kevlar with plates which would protect from most Roman legion weapons . Backed them up with 81 mm mortars and MK19s for fire support. Bring in a 200 horses for Calvary use and some to pull 50 of the Civil War type cannons because you can always make gun powder and cannon shot.Between the scout buggies and Calvary I would have a mobile force capable of defeating a much larger force. I would have as much info on how to build and do things as possible, knowledge is power after all.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:09 am

If my mission is to save the human race, than I'd have to use whatever I could get through the gate to build a civilization that can rapidly develop the technology to defeat this foretold doom, so a good chunk of what goes through the gate would have to be completely dedicated to that. Simply bringing truckloads of books through might not be enough. Long story short, There would be a space budget along with a resource budget.

I'd want to bring as much technology as I can to recreate time travel technology as well as develop advanced technology to avoid the ELE. I'd focus on time, that way, if the tech to avoid the ELE hadn't been developed by the time it happened, so-to-be future generations can bring more advanced knowledge back to the past with better technology. This would take up a lot of bulk.

Given the level of technology available in 1st century Rome, I don't think I'd have to bring a lot of troops, even if I wanted a military conquest of Roman territory. They would just have to be of very high caliber, highly knowledgeable about military tactics throughout history, and trained in the use of as many historical arms as possible (everything from ancient-but-higher-than-1st-Century-Roman-tech to Industrial age to modern firearms. I'd also like as many outside-of-the-box military thinkers as I could get, because humans are smart animals and our ancestors may find a way to defeat us in spite of our technological superiority.

After I arrived, I'd set guards for the non-combatants and march on Rome. Against modern firearms, the first battles would probably end in routs with little bloodshed on both sides. Even the stoutest Roman soldier would probably flee if his Army was raked by machinegun fire. Firearms are completely outside of the ancient experience, and even the stoutest soldier would shake at soldiers that can strike them down way before even their siege engines or archers could reach. The tactics of the time also favored massed ranks in open fields.

After I took Rome and crushed any dissent, I'd start transforming Rome into a culture capable of providing the martial, financial, and industrial base needed to reach my goals.

FAKE EDIT: All of this is assuming that the ELE isn't caused by the resources consumed during the development of time travel.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

vegasguy

Post by vegasguy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:59 am

Back to the top.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:29 am

Poaching threads off arfcom again, I see.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:53 am

I got bored reading all the details and criteria... but all I know is, my plan is the same for all time travel scenarios:

1. Arrive as a conquerer
2. Create a Harem-like kingdom for myself
3. Impregnate all the women possible to create my own race of mini-me's
4. Repeat
5. Repeat
6. Repeat
7. Save the world
8. Sing "I'm my own grandpa" as creating offspring in the past would therefore make my children my forefathers. BOOM!

END NOTE: jor-el, I have a hard time reading your posts because they are always in a Russel Crowe accent and I can't take them seriously...
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:23 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
END NOTE: jor-el, I have a hard time reading your posts because they are always in a Russel Crowe accent and I can't take them seriously...
You should have heard the complaints when I had a Marlon Brando accent and people couldn't tell if I was Kryptonian or Sicilian.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:28 pm

Butterfly effect. If you try to change the past in any significant way, you probably will end up not getting born.
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:58 pm

I guess I form up a defensive perimeter around the nearest quality high ground. After swatting the Roman any aggressive probes to demonstrate firepower, I would enter into parley with the Romans.

I would tell the Romans that we were Americans from what they called Atlantis and that the Gods had sent us there to pacify the remainder of the coast around the Black Sea and all the land in it's drainage. I would agree to pay a modest tribute to Rome as a partner state per tradition.

I'd caravan our ass over there under the protection of the LXXV Ranger Cohort and the LXXXII Chariotborne Division. I expect to lose a lot of the 300,000 useless rich and political trash that bought the way onto the time travel, but their' children will grow up tough and capable. Negotiating for the contents of the Library in Alexandria and some orphaned Apostles hanging around Judea would be a huge plus.

After seizing my new land and becoming autonomous, my skilled labor and scientists can work on building a fleet to get us to the much friendlier and less political Texas Gulf Coast with all the benefits of modern science, history, and agriculture.

From here I will unite the Western Hemisphere and invent toilet paper.
Boldly going nowhere

vegasguy

Post by vegasguy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:57 am

jor-el wrote:Poaching threads off arfcom again, I see.
Again? When did I do this before?

And it is a great thread.

DFWMTX
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DFWMTX » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:22 pm

"If any of you primitive screwheads so much as blow a lit twig in the direction of Alexandria while I'm trying to compare the level of current knowledge you have to what I''ve brought back from the hundreds of years after we finally unfucked things from when you fucked it up, I'm gonna cunt-punt you really had with this nuclear device thing I brought back with me. We have roughly two thousand years to get you up to the speed of where I was when I came back, THEN get us up to the point we can get off this planet -yes, that's right, we're on a planet surrounding the sun, not a flat-fucking-disk- to avoid the whole of humanity dying two millennium from now. Long story short, THERE WILL BE NO BURNING OF ANY KNOWLEDGE WHATSOEVER, NO MATTER WHAT GOD YE WORSHIP.....yes, I'm looking at you, primitive Christian church. By the way, here's a copy of Vatican Two; get yerselves up to speed with my times and skip the whole Dark Ages.":

Yeah, I'm bringing back a shit-ton of knowledge.
It can always get worse.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:39 am

I am not sure you understand what burned at Alexandria.

Yes some original works of philosophy and literature were lost but actual scientific knowledge was not.

The library was only a compilation of knowledge brought to Alexandria by Ships captains who plied the med.
All their books were copied. And some scholars were tasked to go out and buy books on the open market to bring back.

90% of all that knowledge was still in its original places of origin.

The dark ages happened because of disease and closed mindedness. Not because knowledge was destroyed. And the whole of the rest of the world was allowed to advance but surprisingly they didn't advance much, if any, faster.

In fact if you look many scientific advancements were made by members of the Church during the Dark ages.
The Church just didn't tell everyone to go to school and learn them.
In fact few people could even read and write in any language of Europe.Not the churches fault.

And supposedly it initially burnt long before 100 AD.

vegasguy

Post by vegasguy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:26 am

MacAttack wrote:I am not sure you understand what burned at Alexandria.

Yes some original works of philosophy and literature were lost but actual scientific knowledge was not.

The library was only a compilation of knowledge brought to Alexandria by Ships captains who plied the med.
All their books were copied. And some scholars were tasked to go out and buy books on the open market to bring back.

90% of all that knowledge was still in its original places of origin.

The dark ages happened because of disease and closed mindedness. Not because knowledge was destroyed. And the whole of the rest of the world was allowed to advance but surprisingly they didn't advance much, if any, faster.

In fact if you look many scientific advancements were made by members of the Church during the Dark ages.
The Church just didn't tell everyone to go to school and learn them.
In fact few people could even read and write in any language of Europe.Not the churches fault.

And supposedly it initially burnt long before 100 AD.

Amen!

paleman

Post by paleman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:12 pm

I can take 500'000 People with me?
Enough supplies for each for a year?
That's a lot of stuff....

I wouldn't take down Rome. Why bother?

Instead we'd set sail for America (trade/theft of ships and supplies). Once in America establish an alternate civilization with the pinnacle and direction of everyone's efforts being interstellar travel. There would also be a great shift in ideologies to avoid the ridiculousness of the present.

Return to “What Would You Do?”