Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 8100
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Post by TacAir » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:14 pm

Image

Mountain House Biscuits and gravy
I was pretty stoked when Mountain House announced they had added biscuits and gravy to their product line. So, I purchased a pouch.

I prepared this entrée strictly to the label directions. I used 1.5 cups of boiling water in the pouch, stirred well, and then bundled the pouch into my cozy and waited 10 minutes. The label actually said 8-9 mins and called for 1 ¾ cups of water, but suggested 1.5 cups of water for a thicker gravy.

Results: After the 10 minutes, the stuff looked just like… Biscuits and gravy. Made with broken up biscuits. The gravy had a really nice peppery taste, something I enjoyed, as so often, FD food is really bland. The down side was the crunchy bits – not all the biscuit bits rehydrated well.

Suggestions: Use the full 1 and ¾ cups of water and leave it sit in your cozy for no less than 10 and I would suggest 15 minutes, stirring at least once. This should mitigate any of the crunch.

Bottom line Tasty. I see this as far more of a breakfast entrée than the usually runny eggs. YMMV.

Bummer: 900 mg of sodium. If you eat the entire pouch, and it is listed as a single serving, be aware of the sodium.

Pretty straight up, hard to mess up something so basic. Try the item at home before you take it camping, the peppery taste I enjoyed may not be you cup of tea.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

User avatar
Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 9404
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:15 pm
Location: CT

Re: Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:17 pm

Biscuits and gravy? Wow didn't expect that. Thanks for the review.
Image

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 8100
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Post by TacAir » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:19 pm

Woods Walker wrote:Biscuits and gravy? Wow didn't expect that. Thanks for the review.
Yeah, I know - like WOW. A real breakfast that doesn't involve oatmeal, grits or granola....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

User avatar
Sworbeyegib
* * * * *
Posts: 3361
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:15 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Contact:

Re: Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Post by Sworbeyegib » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:44 pm

Sounds like an instant meal I'll actually like. I'm a sucker for anything biscuit and gravy related.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Image

User avatar
spanningtree
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 320
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:57 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil
Location: LV,NV

Re: Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Post by spanningtree » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:45 pm

Yes, WOW! Thanks for the review. Biscuits and gravy are heaven. Especially with sunny side up eggs and sriracha. :crazy: Gonna nab a couple of pouches.

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:14 pm

Re: Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Post by dunamis » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:58 am

What's the calorie count, protein and carbohydrate content, please?

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 8100
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Post by TacAir » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:03 am

dunamis wrote:What's the calorie count, 310

protein 9g (has real meat and TVP)

and carbohydrate content, 35g

please?
U R welcome, I should have put that in the review.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

User avatar
Halfapint
* * * * *
Posts: 3971
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?
Location: Central Cascadia

Re: Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Post by Halfapint » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:12 am

Honestly, never been a biscuits and gravy type of person...... That said, I tried a MH Scrambled eggs with ham and red/green peppers the last time I was out on a hike. I think I'd rather have pieces of tree bark, with toe jam spread then eat that ever again (I have one more packet of it). So Biscuits and gravy to be honest sounds rather tasty!

I am curious of the contents other than the sodium.

Thanks for the review TacAir!

Edit: Must have clicked the reply post after you updated and didn't notice it.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

User avatar
Sworbeyegib
* * * * *
Posts: 3361
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:15 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Contact:

Re: Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Post by Sworbeyegib » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:32 am

TacAir wrote: Pretty straight up, hard to mess up something so basic. Try the item at home before you take it camping, the peppery taste I enjoyed may not be you cup of tea.
I personally find it blasphemous when country style gravy isn't peppered enough. After all there are only like 5 ingredients in sausage gravy, the pepper needs to shine.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Image

User avatar
Kathy in FL
* * * * *
Posts: 4887
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Post by Kathy in FL » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:27 am

What do you want to bet that this is something that is constantly "out of stock"? Sounds like a winner but that sodium is going to be a butt-kicker for some folks.

I like making skillet biscuits and then making my own pan gravy when we are camping. Alternately there are some prepackaged gravy mixes that aren't too bad and/or easy to doctor up.

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:14 pm

Re: Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Post by dunamis » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:35 am

TacAir wrote:
dunamis wrote:What's the calorie count, 310

protein 9g (has real meat and TVP)

and carbohydrate content, 35g

please?
U R welcome, I should have put that in the review.
Sorry, don't mean to be a pest. But is that 310 calories, etc. per serving or per package? Of course, we all know a package is one serving, but sometimes the nutritional information says there are 2 or 2.5 servings and that the information given applies to individual serving sizes. Thanks!

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 8100
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Post by TacAir » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:40 pm

dunamis wrote:
TacAir wrote:
dunamis wrote:What's the calorie count, 310

protein 9g (has real meat and TVP)

and carbohydrate content, 35g

please?
U R welcome, I should have put that in the review.
Sorry, don't mean to be a pest. But is that 310 calories, etc. per serving or per package? Of course, we all know a package is one serving, but sometimes the nutritional information says there are 2 or 2.5 servings and that the information given applies to individual serving sizes. Thanks!
per package which is one serving.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

User avatar
AfleetAlex
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:48 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead
Location: Minnesota/North Dakota

Re: Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Post by AfleetAlex » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:51 pm

Have you considering dehydrating your own, and putting it into rotation? You'd likely have to dehydrate the meat, biscuit's and gravy separately. I keep 6 months worth of dehydrated meat for stews, plus cornbread in rotation, but I've never tried gravy. You can dehydrate milk and cream, so it shouldn't be an issue.
Come with me if you want to live.

User avatar
bltjr1951
* * * *
Posts: 884
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:12 pm
Location: USA

Re: Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Post by bltjr1951 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:53 am

"The down side was the crunchy bits"

Guess you've never had any of my wife's biscuits?
When she makes toast, its not done till smoke comes out toaster.

My latest MH to try is the Breakfast Skillet pouch.
Keep forgetting I've got it to test out.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 8100
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Post by TacAir » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:07 am

bltjr1951 wrote:"The down side was the crunchy bits"

Guess you've never had any of my wife's biscuits?
When she makes toast, its not done till smoke comes out toaster.

My latest MH to try is the Breakfast Skillet pouch.
Keep forgetting I've got it to test out.
LOL "When it's smoking, it's cooking. When it's black, it's done." Motto of most Boy Scout cooks.


When I was doing the cooking thing for a large girl's camp out in the AK wilds, Biscuits and Gravy was the most requested breakfast - and one of the easiest to make.

The Mt House product isn't home made, but it is fast with little to no clean up - just the thing for a fast, hot breakfast when you want to hit the trail/get on the road.

BTW - I tried the skillet pouch. (Shrug) OK, but to me, not worth the cost. For that kind of breakfast, I'll poach a couple of eggs, little clean up and a hot meal.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:14 pm

Re: Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Post by dunamis » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:51 pm

bltjr1951 wrote:"The down side was the crunchy bits"

Guess you've never had any of my wife's biscuits?
When she makes toast, its not done till smoke comes out toaster.

My latest MH to try is the Breakfast Skillet pouch.
Keep forgetting I've got it to test out.
I've had the Breakfast Skillet and as long as you don't put too much water in it to where it's soupy, I thought it was pretty good. Plus, it has a ton of calories (I think it was upward of 800?) and other nutrients, like protein. At 300 calories a pouch, I would have to eat 3 of the biscuits and gravy! And, I don't think a $15 dehydrated breakfast is the best or smartest idea for trail food. Just my humble opinion, for what it's worth.

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 8100
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Post by TacAir » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:01 pm

dunamis wrote:
bltjr1951 wrote:"The down side was the crunchy bits"

Guess you've never had any of my wife's biscuits?
When she makes toast, its not done till smoke comes out toaster.

My latest MH to try is the Breakfast Skillet pouch.
Keep forgetting I've got it to test out.
I've had the Breakfast Skillet and as long as you don't put too much water in it to where it's soupy, I thought it was pretty good. Plus, it has a ton of calories (I think it was upward of 800?) and other nutrients, like protein. At 300 calories a pouch, I would have to eat 3 of the biscuits and gravy! And, I don't think a $15 dehydrated breakfast is the best or smartest idea for trail food. Just my humble opinion, for what it's worth.
???$15??? where do you shop? I paid $4.85...in Alaska.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

User avatar
Kutter_0311
* * * * *
Posts: 6135
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:44 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...
Location: Frozen Tundra, WI

Re: Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Post by Kutter_0311 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:09 pm

This sounds right up my alley! Thanks for the heads-up!

Not that I hate Beef Strog for breakfast, but has 'Lasagna" ever worked for anyone?
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:14 pm

Re: Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Post by dunamis » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:01 pm

TacAir wrote:
dunamis wrote:
bltjr1951 wrote:"The down side was the crunchy bits"

Guess you've never had any of my wife's biscuits?
When she makes toast, its not done till smoke comes out toaster.

My latest MH to try is the Breakfast Skillet pouch.
Keep forgetting I've got it to test out.
I've had the Breakfast Skillet and as long as you don't put too much water in it to where it's soupy, I thought it was pretty good. Plus, it has a ton of calories (I think it was upward of 800?) and other nutrients, like protein. At 300 calories a pouch, I would have to eat 3 of the biscuits and gravy! And, I don't think a $15 dehydrated breakfast is the best or smartest idea for trail food. Just my humble opinion, for what it's worth.
???$15??? where do you shop? I paid $4.85...in Alaska.
No, no, no. At 300 calories per pack and $5 per, for a decent breakfast I'm serving up 3 of 'em! That's what I meant! Are you sure it lists one package as only a single serving?

User avatar
Confucius
* * * * *
Posts: 2752
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: The last, best place

Re: Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Post by Confucius » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:11 pm

62 cals/oz? Not amazing on an energy per weight standpoint, but it would sure break up the monotony of oatmeal and protein powder that normally makes my breakfasts while hiking.

Got any pics? I'm assuming it looks like a bag full of vomit.

User avatar
Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 588
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:17 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead"
Location: Ohio

Re: Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Post by Tobias05 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:39 pm

Biscuits and Gravy sounds great, just ordered a couple pouches now off of amazon.

I've enjoyed the breakfast skillet and eggs/bacon in the past.

Thanks for the review!

User avatar
bltjr1951
* * * *
Posts: 884
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:12 pm
Location: USA

Re: Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Post by bltjr1951 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:47 pm

Confucius wrote:I'm assuming it looks like a bag full of vomit.
That spoiled my dinner at a Chinese restaurant, when some asshole walking by asked me, "who threw up on your plate?".
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 8100
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Post by TacAir » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:18 pm

Confucius wrote:62 cals/oz? Not amazing on an energy per weight standpoint, but it would sure break up the monotony of oatmeal and protein powder that normally makes my breakfasts while hiking.

Got any pics? I'm assuming it looks like a bag full of vomit.
Nah - looks like cut up biscuits with white gravy.

On the other hand, I've had some MREs where you had to ask for a second opinion... and the person had to be a cat owner, if you get my drift.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 8100
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Post by TacAir » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:20 pm

dunamis wrote:
TacAir wrote:
dunamis wrote:
bltjr1951 wrote:"The down side was the crunchy bits"

Guess you've never had any of my wife's biscuits?
When she makes toast, its not done till smoke comes out toaster.

My latest MH to try is the Breakfast Skillet pouch.
Keep forgetting I've got it to test out.
I've had the Breakfast Skillet and as long as you don't put too much water in it to where it's soupy, I thought it was pretty good. Plus, it has a ton of calories (I think it was upward of 800?) and other nutrients, like protein. At 300 calories a pouch, I would have to eat 3 of the biscuits and gravy! And, I don't think a $15 dehydrated breakfast is the best or smartest idea for trail food. Just my humble opinion, for what it's worth.


???$15??? where do you shop? I paid $4.85...in Alaska.
No, no, no. At 300 calories per pack and $5 per, for a decent breakfast I'm serving up 3 of 'em! That's what I meant! Are you sure it lists one package as only a single serving?
I would swear to it in a court of law. The bags that have more than one serving are very well marked on both the front and in the FedGov food label. This shows one serving, the entire pouch.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Post Reply

Return to “Bug Out Gear”