.223 pump vs .357 lever

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

aus.templar

.223 pump vs .357 lever

Post by aus.templar » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:21 am

Okay so I went shooting today with some friends, confirmed sights on a couple rifles then had a bit of fun shooting a few guns my mates own. Long story short I fell in love, twice. I've been looking for a lightweight gun that's both fun to shoot, has open sights, is relatively small and light to carry backpacking and could be used to hunt medium sized animals, think goats, and I think I've narrowed the search.

1. The Remington 7615 pump action .223. It's a fun little gun, feels a little flimsy and the mag release is in a retarded position but a fun gun.
I own a 7600 in .308win, but I don't have a .223 and the 7615 there today was in pretty much stock format and I really quite liked it. My 7600 has gotten a little heavy with all the changes I've done to it... and I've changed the optics and it's all screwed now until I get round to fixing it up.
Please note 30round magazines are against the regulations in my area, though can be bought for collecting-purposes if you don't own a rifle they fit.

2. .357mag lever action. The one I shot today was a Marlin. Lightweight, smooth action, great sights. Really enjoyed shooting it and I think it might make a nice backpacking gun but .357 doesn't seem very versatile to me. I couldn't legally take deer with it, and I'd destroy any game smaller than a goat. Not sure about on bush pigs but I'd say it'd go fine, should be good for protection against wild dogs and other predators though I'd think.

The lever would be cheaper and wouldn't require magazines however would be slower to reload once the 9-10 in the tube are gone.

The pump would be about 50% more expensive, plus whatever I get raped for to get spare mags. Probably slightly faster.

Not sure about the .223 vs .357/.38spl calibre comparison... anyone want to weigh in there?

Long story short. If you were presented with the choice to get one of the above two guns... which would you choose and why?
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

Assault Life

Re: .223 pump vs .357 lever

Post by Assault Life » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:56 am

I like both setups, but I think the .223 would be a more versatile caliber and ammo is cheaper.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

Apathy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Open grave

Post by Apathy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:34 am

That Remington 7615 seems like the best option for the land down under.

Then again, if you were in a pistol club, and legally had a .357 revolver. It wouldn't be a terrible idea to go for a lever gun. Cowboy like ammo commonality.
Liebe läßt sich suchen, finden,
Niemals lernen, oder lehren,
Wer da will die Flamm' entzünden
Ohne selbst sich zu verzehren,

Apathy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Open grave

Post by Apathy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:46 am

Please note 30round magazines are against the regulations in my area, though can be bought for collecting-purposes if you don't own a rifle they fit.

You could do what the Canadians do and buy a nine round .458 socom mag from America. And when it is needed fill it full of .223 and you have a thirty round magazine.
Liebe läßt sich suchen, finden,
Niemals lernen, oder lehren,
Wer da will die Flamm' entzünden
Ohne selbst sich zu verzehren,

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:23 pm

.223 vs .357? Slow big bullet vs fast small bullet. .223 all day long.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:35 pm

7615. You're already familiar with the action, and the .223 will have longer legs. Less drop.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

thrillbilly

Post by thrillbilly » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:57 pm

Lever rifle.

Step up to a 30/30 and call it a day. And you dont ''shoot them all out'' you shoot, and in lulls stick more in, same as running a 12G pump.

Thats just assuming you cant have semiautos. I'd take my AK any day over my lever guns and pumps.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:23 pm

7615 seems to have it, and I think that's the way I'm going to go. Have a mate who's interested in buying my 7600... so at least that'll "stay in the family" so to speak.
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.

procyon

Post by procyon » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:36 am

I like my LA .357/.38's. But here in Iowa USA our deer hunting seems backwards to your.
I can't hunt deer with a .223, but can with a .357 (min cal of .24). Really, we can hunt deer with a .38 spl out of a rifle, but I would slap any of my kids that tried that stunt...

With a .308 already in your collection, it pretty much boils down to what you liked most. The .223 will give you longer range with the same power, but I am guessing that the .308 already has hunting larger game at range covered. Getting a 'look under' scope and sighting the iron sights in for the .38 spls will let you use the LA to shoot smaller game without ruining meat with a bad shot while still using the .357's with the scope. But if goats and targets would be the main use, well, we are back to what is most fun.

Of course, simply adding both to the collection (if possible, I am unfamiliar with firearms regs where you live) would be my solution. :D
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:33 am

Picked up the 7615 from the shop today. Got 5 pmags but they have the rounds blocker inserts to limit them to 10 rounds and the base plates are glued and melted on. Chest rig for this set up should arrive in the mail tomorrow.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:53 pm

I was going to chime in and say that both are going to be pretty damn fun, but you should get the .223 because you are accustomed to the platform already. Looks like you and everyone beat me to it. Good purchase.

Of course, nothing stopping you from getting the lever gun down the line.

What are your caliber restrictions for game over there?
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:43 pm

I'm an auto guy that loves him some lever and pump action. That said, if I had to choose between a pump or a lever, I'd choose pump. The action makes for faster shots, all else equal.

.357 is a hard hitting round, but if you legally can't use it for all of the game you want, then it shouldn't really be your first option. Nothing wrong with picking one up later though. If .223 is game legal, then that is automatically my first choice. Being a pump, it gives you faster follow-ups for any super aggressive hogs that just wont die. I think the .357 would be a better hog cartridge, but, you want something more versatile, and the .223 is it.

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:45 pm

Calibre restrictions for deer only. The centrefire rifle restrictions are as follows. Can also hunt them with muzzle loader, bow, crossbow or shotgun. For those interested... http://www.gma.vic.gov.au/hunting/deer/hunting-methods
Sambar, Rusa and Red are "A minimum calibre of .270" (6.85 mm) with a minimum projectile weight of 130 grains (8.45 grams)."
Hog, Fallow and Chital are "A minimum calibre of .243" (6.17 mm) with a minimum projectile weight of 80 grains (5.18 grams)"

That said, I've got 2 .308's that have deer covered.

procyon

Post by procyon » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:16 am

aus.templar wrote: .357mag lever action... I couldn't legally take deer with it,
Sambar, Rusa and Red are "A minimum calibre of .270" (6.85 mm) with a minimum projectile weight of 130 grains (8.45 grams)."
Hog, Fallow and Chital are "A minimum calibre of .243" (6.17 mm) with a minimum projectile weight of 80 grains (5.18 grams)"
Ok, I can't check the link because the hospital web filter shuts it down, but to me it looks like the .357 LA would be legal for deer.
Is there something at the link that changes that. It looks like .223 isn't going to be 'deer legal' either, not that it matters with a pair of .308's.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:38 am

I thought I couldn't, looked into it and didn't correct my previous post.
Think I'd stick with .308 for deer though.

jeremy1391
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead
dawn of the dead (old and new)
day of the dead (original)
28 weeks later
land of the dead
diary of the dead (very well done)

Post by jeremy1391 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:35 pm

For utility I'd say the pump because of the longer range of an actual rifle cartridge compared to a pistol caliber rifle.....

Now if you also have a .357 mag revolver pairing the two would go a long way into swinging the vote to the lever gun.
the_klenzer wrote:
And finally.... if you are drunk enough, and your buddy dares you...
just tell yourself "if it's good enough for Les Stroud..."

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”