Esin: Reporting for Duty!

If this is your first visit to the ZS forums read the rules above then introduce yourself. It would also be cool if you let us know how you found us.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Esin
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, Mutants, Zombie Land, Day of the Dead.

Esin: Reporting for Duty!

Post by Esin » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:37 pm

Name: Esin
Current Location: Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Preferred Weapons:

Primary Melee Weapon: Medium Length Sword, obtained at the Army Navy story literally across the street from my house.
http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/image ... -ninja.jpg

Secondary Melee Weapon: Combat Knife, obtained at the Army Navy Store.
http://www.knife-kingdom.com/images/XL1144(1).jpg

Projectile Weapons: I do not currently own nor am I particularly skilled with any type of projectile weapon. However, as I live in America, I assume some type of projectile weapon would be fairly easily looted or obtained during the aftermath of the apocalypse. There are several stores that sell weapons and ammo and bows and arrows within quick walking distance of my house.

Clothes: Lightweight Cotton Military Style Jacket (shown below) & Denim Jeans. Quality silk shirt. Pant legs and Shirt sleeves can be taped or tied shut during dangerous situations using some sort of binding agent such as duck tape or rope so that item cannot easily been pulled away from skin exposing flesh. Mountain climbing boots. Long socks to provide additional protection from bites and scratches. Water Resistant Duffle Bag. Necklace with cross whose base is actually a small removable blade.
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... e=5354963A

Items in duffle bag: Several cans of food items mostly canned chili and beans (since both have significant amounts of protein and in the case of the beans also contains some water.) Several bottles of water + military grade water canteen (also previously obtained at army navy store) + brita water pitcher w/ as many filters as I have (currently 3). 1st aid kit. Anti-biotics. Goggles & Some sort of mask (probably make shift torn demin) to cover my face when fighting zombies to prevent blood/brain matter from entering my system through either my eyes or mouth. Can Opener. Pocket Knife/leatherman. As many lighters as I own (multiple dozens) kept in a zip closed gallon sized bag. A bathing suit, sandals (or keep an eye out for a pair of crocs) and a poncho. Whet stone (already owned)
http://naturallyinteresting.files.wordp ... large.jpeg

Items I would take if logistically possible: Lightweight small Stainless Steel Cooking Pan. Aluminum or Wooden Baseball bat/Crowbar.

I already own all above listed items included the jacket pictured above. Chosen because it is lightweight, durable, provides solid protection yet is breathable and moderately cool in warm conditions & provides warmth in cold conditions.

If chances were likely I would be confronting multiple zombies in combat I would likely don either a WWII style combat helmet (already owned, obtained from Army Navy Store. Standard Issue Serbian Army Military Surplus) or I would keep my eye out for a football helmet as a lightweight if slightly cumbersome helmet that could be easily looted and might be useful in instances where I had no choice but to fight numerous zombies especially in close quarters.
http://www.tridentmilitary.com/new-phot ... lmet-b.jpg

Assessment of my skills/capabilities: Physiologically I am fairly average. I am healthy, not overweight, but not especially fit either. I do not have combat training, nor do I have any especially useful skills such as hunting or mechanics, etc. To my advantage I am exceedingly practical, have very strong communication skills, and am able to think more strategically than most people. Ideally I would attempt to meet up with my brother before starting the journey. He is a reasonably proficient hunter, and has a fairly impressive gun collection and the skill to use and train in their use. He is also fairly competent with general construction & the operation of heavy machinery.

Plan in the case of zombie apocalypse:
I will assume that I will start my journey at the place where I spend most of my time, my home. I already own almost all of the above items I have mentioned, or if I don’t they are common enough that I could reasonably expect to procure the item with some light looting.
While Palm Beach where I live is fairly well populated, I live in the fortunate situation that I could pretty easily escape relatively little risk by heading west on road on which (northlake, then up the B line highway, to central/northern Florida which is very sparsely populated, and which I should be able to do while avoiding any heavily populated areas. I would stay on back streets and travel either by bike or looted vehicle when possible keeping to back roads. I would sleep in vehicles when possible, preferably heavily tinted. I would head northwest through rural GA/AL keeping to rural farmland where I should fairly easily be able to procure food by either looting abandoned houses or the farmland itself. During the journey it seems reasonable I should be able to acquire some sort of projectile weapon. It is likely that I would encounter firearms first but a crossbow or compact bow would be my ultimate goal since the ammo is quiet and reusable and it technically would be possible to make new ones/repair the old ones with some trial and error. These would of course be valuable both for hunting food and as a defense against zombies, although I would use the firearms only when absolutely necessary since the ammo is fairly finite and they make significant amount of noise which might attract more zombies. Ideally I would look for an agricultural processing plant which are typically located in remote rural areas, are very well built, very defensible with lots of gates/fences, tractors and other work equipment, lots of space for both people and storage, large stocks of existing water storage, and of course lots of agricultural quality land/potentially existing food supplies (aside from the agricultural product itself which would likely be of fairly limited value since even if you are lucky enough to find the crop in season it would likely rot before you could eat it).

http://static6.depositphotos.com/105143 ... orage..jpg

Most processing plants would likely have large existing non-agricultural food stocks since they are fairly rural and would need to feed their staff.) Once I have identified a suitable processing plant, I would then need to obtain it. If it is relatively abandoned (no occupants/no or few zombies) this wouldn't be a major issue, and there is a chance this might be the case. If the zombie apocalypse happens out of that particular agricultural products season, there would likely be little to no staff on the grounds to be turned. However, if the plant is infested with a large number of zombies I would establish a temporary base nearby and then start recruiting a group of survivors to help me dispatch them and take the facility over so that we can establish a settlement there. If there were existing healthy humans already there I would attempt to join them. If the existing humans proved hostile I would either A) Go elsewhere in the attempt to find an unclaimed or friendly site, B) if the hostile group is small, go recruit for a team to either force them to allow us to join them or take the site by force. We could then reasonably be expected to survive until the zombie threat had been reduced through the zombie’s exposure to the elements. I can’t imagine it would take more than a few years (but possibly as short as 6-8 months depending on zombie physiology) for the zombies to be destroyed by wind, rain, snow, ice, and sheer mechanical atrophy. Once most zombies have been destroyed in this manner, we should be able to start reestablishing humans as the dominate species on the planet ultimately with relatively little loss the civilization as a whole.

How would you rate my survival plan/chances? Any feedback or further ideas?
This will be the plague the Lord strikes all people with who warred against Jerusalem: their flesh will rot while they stand on their feet, their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongues will rot in their mouths. Zechariah 14:12

JayceSlayn

Re: Esin: Reporting for Duty!

Post by JayceSlayn » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:45 pm

Welcome to our forum, Esin.

I'm glad to hear that you are thinking about being prepared in the event of disasters etc., but I would like to note that we do not allow discussion of any illegal activities on this board - namely, looting in your above post. Properly acquiring items you think are necessary before the collapse of civilization is not only the legal way to do it, it also avoids many of the practical complications that you might expect with attempting to "loot" someone else's property, like the fact that most will not see that action favorably, and might be inclined to do you some similar injustice.

Edited to add useful links:
Forum Rules: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 44&t=19895
Who we are: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... f=44&t=494
Last edited by JayceSlayn on Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

Esin
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, Mutants, Zombie Land, Day of the Dead.

Post by Esin » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:48 pm

JayceSlayn wrote:Welcome to our forum, Esin.

I'm glad to hear that you are thinking about being prepared in the event of disasters etc., but I would like to note that we do not allow discussion of any illegal activities on this board - namely, looting in your above post. Properly acquiring items you think are necessary before the collapse of civilization is not only the legal way to do it, it also avoids many of the practical complications that you might expect with attempting to "loot" someone else's property, like the fact that most will not see that action favorably, and might be inclined to do you some similar injustice.

Thank you for the feedback, however, by looting I really meant "looting" abandoned houses. As far as I can tell there should be more than enough of most supplies that the limited amount of survivors should have no reason to commit violence against each other in order to obtain them. Besides, looting from humans would be far too dangerous in all but the most desperate situations since anyone resourceful enough to survive that long into the apocalypse should reasonably be assumed to be just as if not more skilled/dangerous as I am. No thanks, I would much rather dispatch grandma and grandpa zombie then raid their kitchen then take on a battle tested/armed survivor for a meager can of beans and whatever kit (likely to be mostly redundant, after all, how many knives/guns/bullets etc can one can man carry? Furthermore killing other non aggressive/non hostile-humans would be counterproductive since the end goal is survival of the human species as a whole, not just my own individual survival.
This will be the plague the Lord strikes all people with who warred against Jerusalem: their flesh will rot while they stand on their feet, their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongues will rot in their mouths. Zechariah 14:12

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:40 pm

If we are talking about a hypothetical, fictional universe in which the T-virus-fueled zombie apocalypse has indeed turned the vast majority of people into the shambling undead, then I think your perspective might be plausible. You might get better reactions from discussing that scenario in the Zombie Information subforums (http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=64), though.

On the other hand, we here generally see the real zombie apocalypse, or any disaster that might resemble it, as highly unlikely events. So much so, that they are not really discussed in seriousness. Instead, it is actually highly likely that individuals will see civil war, famine, and even more mundane things like extended power outages or storms. Advocating for preparedness of things "as bad as a zombie apocalypse", in the sense that you will then be fully prepared to weather these more likely scenarios, is more the central mission here.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

Doctor Jest
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Doctor Jest » Sat May 03, 2014 8:34 am

Esin,

Welcome to ZS. Your intro thread is interesting. I gotta say, living across the street from an Army-Navy store would be handy. :)

Skill with projectile weapons is something acquired over a long time, like any other. One thing we caution against here at ZS is thinking that when disaster strikes, it will be possible to acquire the skills or equipment you need. Firearms skills take a while to acquire, and lots of bullets to practice with. (Though a 12 gauge at close range is kinda point-and-click.) That's why we try to get people past the "I'll go to Wal-mart" way of thinking. I don't know if it is within your financial/situational ability, but better to start practicing now. Many gun ranges will rent pistols for target practice, for example.

By the way, I must point out that we do forbid the discussion of looting here at ZS, even in the hypothetical. Everyone here knows that if somehow it really did happen, everyone would be doing whatever it took to survive, including looting. But since we work with a variety of charity organizations, and our 501c3 status means we have to interact amiably with the .gov, we do not discuss such things. We use the zombocalypse as a metaphor for smaller-scale disasters, and we do not want to inure people to the idea of looting (or any other crime).

Thanks!

Jest
I survived ZombieCon 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16!!!
Towanda wrote:When I become Empress of the Universe, ticks are the first (and so far only) species slated for complete genocide.

Return to “Introductions”